Carnie Wilson on second weight loss surgery: It's about health
April 3rd, 2012

Carnie Wilson on second weight loss surgery: It's about health

Carnie Wilson is defending her decision to turn to weight loss surgery for a second time in her ongoing battle of the bulge.

The singer went on "Today" Tuesday to announce that her choice had nothing to do with aesthetics, and everything to do with her discovery that she was a borderline diabetic last year.

"I've learned I've got to take care of my health,” said the Wilson Phillips star about her continued journey to wellness, which will be chronicled on the TV Guide network's reality show, “Wilson Phillips: Still Holding On.”

“This is about health,” she said. “It's about my lifestyle. I'm laying the groundwork for myself - for my future."

If all of this seems familiar, it is: Wilson has been upfront about her weight fluctuations for more than a decade. The singer was even a cast member on VHI’s “Celebrity Fit Club” in 2006.

The mother of two has said that at her peak, she weighed in at 300 pounds - a lot to carry on her 5’3 frame.

In 1999 she turned to gastric bypass surgery to shed 150 pounds - even posing for Playboy as a result. But over the past 12 years, the weight has crept back on. Wilson says as much as two-thirds of what she had lost has returned, and so surgery seemed like the best fix.

To that end she underwent lap-band surgery this past January, and reports she has already lost 30 pounds.

"I was at the point where I did need intervention,” Wilson explained. “I'm 44 this month. I needed to take action. I needed to help myself again. What I feel now — I feel the sensation of being full quickly, which I was not feeling."

On the debut of her new reality show, the singer reportedly tells fellow band members Wendy Wilson and Chyna Phillips that she’s decided to get the procedure done a month before they embark on their comeback tour to support their new album, "Dedicated."

The show premieres on April 8.

1. fqhdrtdoifbh

wpnpuobvynhn

April 19, 2013 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. astounding post ukraekvevk click here :-0 xlikfva, :-* feepqnlgjj [url="http://www.nlabzyrjwuhs.net"]or here[/url] >:-O ahcekpigjxfk, :'( wksyhijqwu http://nlabzyrjwuhs.info :|] ahcekpigjxfk, :-/ ucphjtxsge [url=http://nlabzyrjwuhs.ru]zpwdfqkveh[/url]

jnilqykxbgth

April 16, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jhmvbefutjwn

pbiomrxmxvoi

April 13, 2013 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Weight loss apps for iphone

Interest rates 21, 2012· after a balanced diet program is vital in making certain you live a lengthy and balanced living. Should you need to increase on your own all around health, a consistent ...Weight Loss

May 17, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jody

Seriously people....you have no idea how hard the weight loss struggle is. I had gastric bypass surgery 6 years ago, and struggle daily to keep the weight off. The surgery gives you the initial advantage to rapid weight loss, but after several years your stomach enlarges and it's almost the same battle all over again. How easy it is to criticize Carnie....I applaud her for being so open about her struggle....many other celebrities are not. It would be a hell of a lot easier for her to just have had the surgery and not mentioned a thing. Good for you Carnie!....I'm glad that you are able to do this, and be so open!

April 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MD

So many hateful people leaving such horrible comments.So sad that such mean spirits live among us. Carnie deserves respect! Good luck on your struggle Carnie!!! I wish you success!

April 23, 2012 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandie

Did you ever stop to think that having a second weight loss surgery after blowing it the first time really hurts some who would like to have just one surgery but can not afford it! Just one surgery that they would never squander away, you know sometimes it seems that because you have money you can buy anything. And no I am not one of the spirits wanting a surgery as I had a surgery in 1978 and have no need for another one as I am under weight. But I am one who says that if you are willing to have a surgery that 1 in 200 people die from and not respect it enough to monitor yourself and follow the life long plan, then it is arrogant to think some spirits won't be offended.

April 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. elizabeth

I admire Carnie Wilson for being so upfront in her struggle with obesity. Those who think it's easy to be thin have never had to deal with genetics and a metabolism that favor otherwise. Add in emotional issues, and you have a recipe for a lifetime battle. Carnie Wilson is an inspiration to many people (obviously) and her very public successes AND FAILURES have helped many people come to terms with weight problems. She's awesome.

April 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandie

Sorry but as much as I am one way or the other on Carnie Wilson as a person, Her decision to have another weight loss surgery is a slap in the face to women everywhere who struggle like you stated and would jump at the chance to have surgery. Carnie is no role model unless her message is "if at first you mess up your weight loss surgery, a huge opportunity, well just get out your check book and have another one! Oh I'm sorry what, you only have $2.50 in your checking account after feeding and housing your children? Come on get real about this subject!

April 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Annie

Having a band after a by-pass is lazy. Carnie has lost the weight before and looked great. She clearly knows what she needs to do. she just needs to do it!
    Seriously, What Bariatric Surgeon would do something like this! Perhaps they should recall the first rule of Medicine is "First do no harm" Even if you have a rich client that doesn't make it safe, It's stupidly irresponsable!

April 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SouthSider1

Hey Carnie.......KEEP THAT JUNK FOOD OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!! The message your sending to girls around the world is that if you have enough money you buy yourself slim.

April 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jackie Batista

Carnie,
    I have been a fan since my teens. I too had gastric by pass and looked great for a long time....like you I still have the magazine that featured you on the cover. I can't find it right now because I moved. And you were really my inspiration! You are beautiful and I had your music which connected me to you. Your new reality show makes me understand the struggles and tribulations we go through as formed gastric by pass patience. I love 147 lbs but have gained 60 lbs of it back. I struggle all the time on keeping on track. I lost 30 lbs when my second husband left me only because of the depression. Seeing your reality show really has put me in a position where I think that I NEED TO DO IT FOR ME AND MY KIDS. I have a 16 & 18 year old where I'm the only thing that they have. I have followed you for years and still have the magazine that you were on the cover. YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT AGAIN just like I will.

Thank you SO much for Wilson Phillips and all your inspirational stories!

I will always BE a fan!

Jackie Batista

April 9, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandie

Jacki, Please as a Gastric bypass patient yourself you need to remember the dangers of weight loss surgery! Your kids will be better off with you a little over weight and making every effort to show them you can and will work hard and never give up, than risk loosing you to a 1 in 200 death from surgery. I feel your pain, but you can do it. Try weight watchers or a low carb diet or something that you look into and feel you could do. Let Rachel Ray be your role model she lost 60lbs recently, look it up and please don't have another surgery. Go to your Doctor and do what ever they tell you to do OK. Good Luck.

April 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Join Scentsy Deutschland Sell Scentsy Deutschland Become a Scentsy Consultant Canada Sell Scentsy from Home Sell Scentsy Candles from Home Sell Candle from Home Sell Candles from Home Start a Candle Business Online Work from Home Legitimate Ways to Make M

Thanks for another informative site. Where else could I get that type of information written in such a perfect way? Thanks for the share.

April 9, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. Kathy

I've been watching on-line the show Carnie Wilson Unstapled. Her personal trainer has given up on her and Dr. Oz even got angry with her. What nobody is realizing is that Carnie (and a lot of obese people) are "addicted" to food, just like Whitney was addicted to Cocaine. You can talk all you want about diet, exercise, but if you are addicted, you "can't stop". Once you get your food (drug) back into your system, it's hard to get off of the food – sometimes the withdrawals are unbearable. I had gastric by-pass 10 years ago and actually met Carnie Wilson at one of our annual by-pass conventions in Ft. Lauderdale. When you have the by-pass surgery, you are on a morphine pump after surger and that helps you get through the withdrawals of getting off carbs. This epidemic cannot be beat unless the doctors can treat this addiction as bad as heroine or drinking – and treat the person's "Mind".

I presently have ESRD and am on dialysis – that's the only reason I had gastric by-pass surgery, was because I needed to lose 75 pounds to get on a kidney transplant list. I have kept my weight off for 11 years now and have been waiting for a kidney for 2 years. I wish Carnie the best.

April 7, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Annaree

Ms. Wilson, I commend you! I'm in the same boat.If your reading this, contact me via e-mail. would love to discuss your surgery.

April 5, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Christina

Weight Loss Surgery is dangerous – now twice? If I could tell her one thing, it would be to accept her body just the way it is! If she wants to improve health, eat proper daily caloric levels & exersize and the borderline diabetes can be controlled. WLS are just quick, unhealthy quick fixes. It seems like shes doing it for aesthetics, because if she was truly concerned w/ health, she wouldn't be having a dangerous surgery. Too many horror stories.

April 4, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Diana

I saw her on that stupid wife swap show on ABC a few months back and I tell you this second surgery will not work either. The woman is a pig, her husband stays in his music room all day and only comes out once in a while. This woman is a mess and so is her home. She even had the nerve to put down the other woman because she had order in her home. I'm telling you this will not last unless she changes her habits and I'm not just talking about food.

April 4, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  16. Rolyat

Now I know why Hostess is in bankruptcy ? Carnie had weight loss surgery again. Her weight has been her only claim to fame the last 15 years. I'm the only one in my family who has maintained a normal weight for my height. It's called self control.

April 4, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. scruffy

personally, she should do what's best for her....and not worry what anyone thinks. she doesn't have to explain herself. i imagine she's struggled with something that is hurting her emotionally and physically and taking away from her life. we all have something we deal with - hers happens to be a weight struggle. if that is the best option for her, good for her. i wish her all the success and hope it gets her to a healthy place. she should choose what's best for her...and not have to offer any explanation to anyone.

April 4, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  18. BOL

She sings?

April 3, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mj

Good luck. considering the same had gastric because of u in 2001

April 3, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sadie's Fan

that's my kind of woman. i love big girls. I'm their biggest fan

April 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Richard Fore

My kinda lady. Full figured and full of lard.

April 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Try this !

http://65341e19pghlao2-8r28q8am52.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=WEIGHT LOOS

April 3, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Elizabeth

Lovely at any size. Good for you Carnie for doing what you need to do to get healthy.
    However, I don't understand the need to make it so public. Not meaning to hide it but also not to make it part of a reality show.... too much pressure!

April 3, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

How does tying a band around your stomach make you healthy? It doesn't. She still has all the fat she does now, her arteries are still clogged, she still has unhealthy eating habits and she is still doesn't exercise.

Weight lose and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not a sprint, it's a marathon... there are no shortcuts.

April 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MP4/3GP VIDEOS, FOR FREE, GET IT NOW! Note:18

April 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Derrick

She needs to be careful. This can't be healthy to keep having weight loss surgery.

Type DerrickDuffie into your web browser to visit my website and learn about my new novel, Unfinished Business.

April 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Diva Taunia

I am horrified by how many awful comments are here...full of "opinions" * but none with any factual information. What's she done is to make a choice to try again because she wants a life free of obesity, and I applaud anyone making the effort to better themselves. No one should be judged for that, and whatever happened to extending empathy and support? She's a celebrity, yes, but she's human and struggles just like the rest of us. I am personally an RNY Gastric Bypass Post-Op. I had surgery four years and have maintained a 150 lbs weight loss. Even with this tool, every day is a struggle * made easier only by the fact that I'm not carrying around all of that weight and the fact that I have a tool that assists me. I am beyond thankful for that. For all of you who sit in judgement, don't think for a second that I don't work hard. I exercise daily, I watch my diet, and yes, I make mistakes. But this surgery changed my life AND saved my life, just as it may well save hers. Don't judge, educate yourselves.

April 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

You applaud anyone trying to take the shortcut? What an example she is setting to others out there: 'if you have no self-control, simply spend a little money...'

April 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • mj

Thanks for sharing good luck

April 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joel

The total idiocy of so many on the issue of weight never ceases to amaze me. People who have never had weight loss surgery are here showing their lack of knowledge, and certainly a lack of class. Like you, I have had WLS, and as anyone who has can tell you, in NO WAY does the surgery guarantee weight loss, especially sustained weight loss. It does help in curbing hunger, and makes it difficult to over eat. Oh yeah, and it has saved thousands upon thousands of lives. Frankly, most people on the planet in this age of unhealthy food at every turn readily available, who don't battle weight are people who simply don't have the intense cravings the rest of us do. And yes, of course discipline plays a role, and I have tremendous respect for people who keep their weight issues at bay by exercising regularly and climbing back on the diet horse time and again. And Carnie DOES need more discipline, but the mentally inept making animal comments need far more correcting than she does.

We all have our issues, our flaws, our weaknesses. Weight issues are seen on the outside, which makes overweight people an easy target for ridicule by the ignorant.

Speaking of we all have our weaknesses.....

I wonder how many of these internet trolls smoke??? And of that group, I wonder how many have tried to quit with the help of a patch? Or how many would undergo a laproscopic procedure, if it could greatly curb their nicotine habit?

And believe me, if there was a procedure which made one smarter, these trolls commenting would be lined up at clinics all over the country, forced to undergo the procedure by their family and friends.

April 4, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. yep

She should juzt wire her mouth shut

April 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. anna

What a load of rubbish! She had to have surgery again for her health?

If she ate properly she wouldnt have a problem, who is she kidding, certainly not us!

Wait for it, in a couple of years or months time she will be back for more surgery because she cant keep her mouth shut.

April 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. be quiet

I love how she says "I've learned I've got to take care of my health."

So what, you put the pizza and cupcakes down for 3 seconds to pick up the phone and schedule another surgery?

Have some self control, put down the fork and go for a walk! Losing weight is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be.

April 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Candace Kane

It's amazing what the human body can take. One would hope after such a drastic step as gastric bypass surgery Carnie would have kept her weight down. Now another surgery lap-band wow hope she keeps it under control this time.

April 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Important person

I bet Carnie makes big elephant pooooooops.

April 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Fritzy

hush. im pretending to be a gay boy to fools the other set of trolls.

April 3, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Important person

LoJenk you are possibly the dummest person in the whole world. Your viideos are just poor quality and sad. Not even funny or offensive. Just pathetic and sad.

April 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQj5fyHeOHg&w=640&h=390]

April 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. T P

Did she swallow Alecia?

April 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Chea

Now this cow is pathetic,her children are even fat.

April 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |