'Total Recall' trailer hits Web
April 2nd, 2012

'Total Recall' trailer hits Web

After teasing us with a glimpse of the new "Total Recall," Columbia Pictures has released the full trailer.

As seen in the clip below, Colin Farrell steps into the role of Doug(las) Quaid, which was played in the original 1990 movie by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

When factory worker Quaid visits Rekall, where fantasies and dreams can be implanted as real memories, something goes awry, leaving him with supreme fighting skills – and the suspicion that he may be a spy.

Kate Beckinsale fills Sharon Stone's old role of Quaid's wife, Lori, and Jessica Biel plays the rebel Melina, a role previously portrayed by Rachel Ticotin.

But the biggest shift from the original appears to be the special effects.

"Total Recall" arrives in theaters August 3. Think you'll be seeing this remake?

Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. Isa Sanluis

i always look for healthy recipes because i am very conscious with my own health and my kids.,,'`

My own web-site

June 22, 2013 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

I totally support remake movies as long as they bring a new fresh twist to the movie. Its sad to see so many movie remake disappointments in theaters nowadays.
    "I hope you enjoys the ride!" -JohnnyCab
    I hope we enjoy the movie.

April 27, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kayaker247

this movie looks great!

April 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gabe

I'm really looking forward to this movie, little skeptical about Colin Farrel playing the role of Quad. I was hoping for someone like Vin Diesel or maybe Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) to fill the role, as they have the muscles look that Arnold had. This movie and the original is based off the story "We can remember it for you wholesale" by Phillip K. Dick, criticism should be aimed at how closely it follows the original ideals laid out by the author, not the 1990 movie, that I like as well. People passing judgement on a movie based off a 2:30 movie trailer is shallow, or is an extreme movie buff and can't actually enjoy a movie without citing the problems with it. I do agree that their are terrible movies out there (Green Lantern) with big budgets, and the directors throw their money around loosely, focusing more on the effects instead of the story line. Len Wiseman is a decent director, and I've liked all the movies he's made so far, and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

April 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Matt Fields

No way am I seeing another lame remake!

April 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Satsrfer

Hollywood – have you no more creativity??? I cannot believe almost every great movie my teens and early 20's of the 80's has been remade in the past few years. Why can't they leave the classics as that – the classics!?! Colin Farrell, I can honestly say is now the King of the remakes! His last four movies have seemed to have been remakes S.W.A.T., Miami Vice (TV Show – I know), Fright Night, and now "Total Recall". Jeez... All the originals were great films. What are you going to do next Hollywood, remake "Home Alone"??? No I will not see this in the theaters, I will watch for this re-make on NETFLIX!

April 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • linux_guy

What next, a remake of Gone With the Wind starring Lindsay Lohan as Scarlett, Matthew McConaughey as Rhett Butler, Ashton Kutcher as Ashley?

April 23, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

I AGREE SO MUCH WITH YOU!! Is Hollywood that POOR all they can do is remakes and ruin the classics.

April 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Josh

To simply remake a movie to upgrade its special effects, when the movie itself was not just about special effects, DOES NOT WORK.

Plus, Colin Farrell fails completely to bring the character of Doug Quaid, anything close to what Arnold Schwarzenegger did.

April 23, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. jmissal

I'm officially done going to movies...there is no imagination in Hollywood anymore.

I'll wait for netflix. Anything more is just a waste of money.

April 21, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  9. WTH!!!

looks too much like a damn video game. i saw nothing but shooting and buildins blowing up. didn't see anything "Eye-Catching" or appealing at all. not like the original did, such as the Airport scene with Arnold diguised in the body of a Large, Heavy-set woman, or the 3 breasted woman. show us a preview that will leave us thinking (or saying aloud) "now that looks good". something thats gonna pull us in.until then...*YAWN* !!!!

April 21, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Pauly S

What I don't get is how they keep remaking all of these movies but no one is remaking the greatest film of all time. ENCINO MAN.

April 19, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dirk

have any of you actually READ the Philip K. Dick story this comes from?...It's called "We can remember it for you wholesale"...

this film is adapted from that story. The original Arnie film only used the names, the idea of Recall...and then ran with it....the film itself was only about 3% of Dick's story.....Mars didn't even figure into it.....

This new film is a homage to the original tale....Sci-Fi fans, & fans of the author will see this film for what it is. ..I for one will be going to see it, and while I may not agree with the casting, I DO appreciate a true homage to a great writer, and a film in keeping with the story & spirit of the original tale. Dick`s stories were lightyears ahead of their time, and many films have been made of his stories...some outstanding, some not so much....among the great ones were `Blade Runner`, `The Thing`, `Minority Report`( more so for the effects than the acting...Tom Cruise should be drawn and quartered )...and the list goes on...this remake...which isn`t even a remake, it`s the visualizing of the author`s stroy, will either flop or be successful through the acting...not throught the story.

April 15, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Gabe

I totally agree with you. Makes me wonder if some of these people even actually researched what they were typing out, or just watched the trailer and instantly flamed it for not being up to par on their intellectual level. I to, will be seeing this when it hits theaters. Glad to see someone out their actually has the same thoughts as me.

April 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. idatrvlr

So they ripped off a couple of movies to add some action and are selling this as a video game at some point. We'll see it because hubby loves the first one

April 14, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. foxhound

Open your mind... open your miiiind.... oooooopen your miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind...

April 13, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. ellied

"Cohagen! Give these people AIR!" Ha ha ha.

NO really, I see no reason to remake the original! Swartzy and Stone were FAB in the original! What are they thinking? No way can Colin fill Arnold's shoes!

And I see some comments that they are not going to Mars? Whatever!!

April 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ScifiFan

Are they going to have the 3-breasted Martian woman? Might be worth seeing

April 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. darkbraincomics

Sigh, another pure remake. Boo. And, to pre-comment on comments, I have made 15 full-length unique stories in the last 3 years with 70 artists and put them out on there in graphic novel format with voice and music. However, you have to realize that Hollywood is not incentivized to try new properties – the cash is in remaking things that already worked once.

April 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. The Observer

A. If ever there was a movie NOT in need of a remake.
    And
    B. Colin Farrell,...great, why not just grab Markey Mark, or Matt Damon or anyone of the other interchangable generic "mediocre actor big crowd draw" guys out there.

Hollywood can both create dreams and take giant dumps on them, smiling all the while.

April 12, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. T

Torn between the original and the remake, sad that they took out the "Go to Mars" bit but It might be interesting enough for me to check it out.

April 12, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

I think they are attempting to stay true to the original novel. The first one was still entertaining, but a lot of it were just add-ons.

April 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Rerun

What's next.. The Running Man? How about Kindergarten Cop.. or Jingle All the Way..

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mariah Carey

Oh hell no you didn't Kim...Glitter was was the BOMB! All you did was take on Ray J's love snake...now you are doing that nasty, no talent, loser Kanye..good luck with the crabs! Now I am out of here to go tell Nick to go get some ice cream....Oh btw..tell Khloe that Han Solo is looking for her...

April 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kim K.

I made the best movie...EVER!!

April 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JellyBean

This might be pretty good.

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Falconi1

Start the reactor, Quaid!

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Marney

Unless there's some ridicules punch lines then I'm not happy!

April 10, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. GreatDane

Has anyone here, heard of a new website called "Facebooks" or something like that?

April 10, 2012 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. john

OMG! What the heck is wrong with you people? I think it would be a great idea to remake that movie. If you don't like it don't watch it but to those that do like remakes. Let the people watch it then. I know every body has their different ideas. Don't judge a book by its cover! Of course their going to show all the flashy parts of the movie. Their trying to get the people interested into it. So what if it looks like a video game. It does and it doesn't. Do all of you remember the preview for the original movie. It showed almost the same thing as a preview as the same things kind of deal. Every body remembers the first one and they loved it. Just let them make the movie and give it a try. I mean how do you know it's going to suck before you watched the movie. You only saw what 2 min of the trailer? I am not into video games or anything like that. What I am trying to say is give the movie a chance. Don't kill it with bad reviews before you have seen it. People say that " Hollywood has ran out of ideas and stuff" If you guys and gals are so big why don't you think up some ideas and let the people know and will judge them the same way. If you can come up with a better idea good for you. but if you can't keep your mouth shut. If you have nothing good to say don't say it at all!!

April 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. David

OMG! This looks awful. I thought Hollywood might have a real chance of taking the original romp (which is perfect for what it is and does not need to be remade) and re-imagine it in a more serious way. This looks like a video game. I hope they just chose the flashiest parts for this preview.

April 6, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  28. healthy recipes for dinner

Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to grasp a lot about this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with a few percent to force the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

April 3, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  29. facebook like

Pretty component to content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your weblog posts. Anyway I'll be subscribing for your augment or even I fulfillment you get entry to constantly rapidly.

April 3, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  30. ^

lol

April 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. MoonDancer

Most importantly, how will they find a way to show Colin's shlong in this movie? Maybe, instead of his eyes bulging out, his pants will burst open? Just an idea...

April 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ?

*groan* please, Please, PLEASE tell me this isn't a literal remake. The story the movie based on is 1.5 PAGES giving a metric TON of leeway for a writer to base a movie on. Apparently Hollywood really HAS run out of original ideas and can only otherwise hope another set of teen fantasy books becomes popular so they can do something "somewhat" original....

April 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • TR

Apparently this one doesn't even go to Mars, so it's not a literal remake. How you can replace a classic action man like Arnie with a 5 foot 6l, 120 pound pretty boy geek like Collin is the real mystery to me. But of course, it's the new Hollywood where the women (ie. 100 pound playboy bunny material) are the true tough guys and the guys can only beat up even wimpier versions of themselves. I guess having a real man on screen wouldn't fit the new mold.

April 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ?

Philip K Dick is probably spinning in his grave. This will be an abomination. You know what needs a remake: Hollywood! They've pawned enough rehashed sh¡tpiles off on the public already.

All that was said before even watching the trailer, which confirmed my worst fears.

April 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. .

April 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Adara

They'll screw this up as well like they do with all the others.

April 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. cnnlicksit

Why!? Why!? Why!? The first movie is a classic. It doesn't need to be remade. The special effects are good enough as to not distract from the story. This is just another pathetic attempt from Hollywood to get as much money out of teenagers pockets as possible. Ban this movie!

April 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • cykill

first was a classic....second will suck, cant stand ferral. i know he thinks he's awsome but i think he sucks. pass

April 7, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  37. Why

are they making another remake? Is hollywood just out of ideas for movies? Can't anyone come up with an original idea for the viewing public? Just plain sad!

April 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • MidMoMedic

Then why don't you come up with something of your own and submit it to Hollywood instead of being a troll?

April 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Dandey

Amen, brother!

April 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mia

Yes Why. They are out of ideas. Hollywood doesnt have an original thought between the lot of them. They need fresh blood. I personally wont go see this. I am tired of the remakes and until Hollywood comes out with an original idea then I am boycotting movies.

April 11, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK

Yes they have run out of ideas and don't accept submissions from the hinterlands, called outside of LA.

MidMoMedic…. The little writer / producers think they are the only ones that can write. Lots of people pitch a lot of great stuff everyday to these snot nosed punks but unless you are in THEIR coterie of friends, mostly white male from USC or UCLA your screwed. Do you know how "Hollywood" works?

April 13, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  38. Pliny

Please, don't let Michael Ironside anywhere near this version of the movie.

He chewed threw the scenery in the first versoin.

April 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Damian

Ironside was one of the coolest things about Total Recall – I don't think you know what the term chewing scenery means

April 10, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • KajinPL

See you at the party, Richter!!

April 12, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • DK

LOL… he was a bit aggressive wasn't he?

April 13, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • gerry doire

Why does every modern action movie try to imitate the matrix in some form or another.

April 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |