'Grimm' star on show's surprise success
March 30th, 2012

'Grimm' star on show's surprise success

"Who saw that coming?"

That was Silas Weir Mitchell's reaction to the fact that "Grimm" was picked up for a second season on NBC.

The fairy tale/horror/procedural hybrid was recently renewed, despite its tough Friday night timeslot (versus established genre series, "Fringe" and "Supernatural").

Mitchell – who plays the offbeat, "Big Bad Wolf"-ish Blutbad Monroe on the show – told CNN, "In October of last year, I don’t think people would point to ‘Grimm’ as being the first show that NBC renewed for 22 [episodes]. It’s a bit of a – no pun intended – Cinderella story!"

Mitchell is still in the midst of wrapping up the first season, but shared a few thoughts about where it should go in the fall: "I think ['Grimm'] is still finding itself. I think it gets better all the time. I don’t think there should be any big changes."

What can fans expect for the rest of this season, including Friday night's new episode? "As we get toward the end of season 1, we’re going to learn more about the underpinnings of the world that Nick and Monroe inhabit. We’re going to learn more about the roots of this situation, for sure."

In preparing for his character, Mitchell (who made quite an impression playing crazed characters on "Prison Break" and "My Name is Earl") studied werewolfism, or lycanthropy – though Monroe is only seen as a werewolf by the outside world, and not in actuality.

"I discovered werewolfism is a metaphor for people who lose their s*** completely and do stuff like Charles Manson did."

With such a series of unusual characters on his resume, Mitchell has found that he attracts offbeat fans.

"I was having dinner and a girl [came up to me] who was in a getup that was half-bunny suit, half-Baby Huey kind of thing, and she loved the show," he said. “There is an element to the show and Monroe that attracts outsiders. Monroe is an outsider. I love playing outsiders. There is a kind of person attracted to the characters I play. God love ‘em for it."

Mitchell has recently found himself obsessed with another show that deals in the realm of fantasy.

"I watched three episodes of ‘Game of Thrones’ and decided, 'I wanna read this,'" he said. "I just started the fourth book in the series and I love it. People eat and drink and screw and die, and there are these mythological elements all around them, forces beyond their control [not unlike 'Grimm'], and I find that quite compelling."

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. MNBobster

Grimm is great! Can't get enough of it.

April 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. barbara

It's a great show and yes, getting better all the time. It's great that there is something to watch on Friday nite other than "Fringe" which gets too heavy sometimes and if you miss episodes you miss a lot. And with Grimm, people like to see the good monsters vs. bad monster stuff and a monster hunter with compassion for the good ones.

April 2, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. gah

eddie is the main reason i watch this show. the main character is good looking but not all that compelling, no chemistry with his derpy-faced girlfriend. never thought i'd say this but . . . Team Eddie!

March 31, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dragonwatcher

Agree with Fashinwidget Grimm is just a Supernatural wanna be never happen Supernatural is FAR better the Grimm, have no idea why it is so good to me it is plain awful.

March 31, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • @Dragonwatcher

What channel & night does that Supernatural come on? I'd appreciate your input.

March 31, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Fashionwidget

This show is a rip-off of supernatural on a better network. That is all.

March 31, 2012 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Van

Um, wrong. SPN is mostly a series of stand alone epiodes, with a few continuing storylines thrown in. Grimm requires careful viewing and is telling a cohesive, well thought out story. I used to watch SPN, but left off it a few years ago, due to the last two seasons being badly written. SPN fans are hyper defensive about their show, and are too in love with the J's to respond anything but defensively. Go read a book.

April 1, 2012 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
      • Fashionwidget

The only season of SPN that has your "so-called" stand alone episodes is the current season 7. Seasons 1 through 6 followed a dinstinct storyline (especially seasons 1-5 which were the brain child of Eric Kripke). Obviously, when the network that airs the show ordered more seasons past 5, Eric Kripke left the show because he never imagined it going past the 5 seasons he was contracted to do. Thanks for suggesting that I go read a book, I've read several since we last spoke and now I'm blogging. :-)

April 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. MoonDancer

I like sucking them 2. big hung blk dongs

March 31, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. Charlie Crack

I suck off big black men hung dongs

March 31, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jimmy

Many aspects of the show rock. Casting, the music, the set design, the story. This story is a winner in every way you can think of. I am something of a TV dude, and this is my favorite show in years. Love it. Hope it makes 3-5 seasons.

March 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mr Ed.

Well you are awesome too.

March 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Candi

I have seen this show a few times. Each one was pretty good.

March 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |