March 30th, 2012

9/11 hero's mom offended by Daly joke

The mother of a 9/11 hero has reportedly taken Carson Daly to task for his gay joke.

"The Voice" host apologized Wednesday for a joke he made that morning on his syndicated radio show regarding the passengers who recently subdued a JetBlue pilot.

"Most of them were on their way to some sort of security conference in Las Vegas...it was like a bunch of...well-trained dudes, thank God," Daly said. "With my luck, it would be like, 'This is the flight going to [the gay pride parade] in San Francisco...'Uh, we're headed down to Vegas for the floral convention.'"

According to Entertainment Weekly, Alice Hoagland, the mother of Flight 93 passenger Mark Bingham, released a statement saying, "Gay men and women come in every shape and size: short, tall, slender, stout, delicate and powerful. They do not deserve to be stereotyped, nor categorized."

Bingham was one of the passengers who charged the cockpit of his hijacked flight on the morning of 9/11.

"Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day," Hoagland said. "He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit."

Daly apologized via Twitter as well as in a statement given to GLAAD.

"The fact that I have hurt anyone is devastating," Daly's statement said. "I’m not that guy. I’m proud to be an ally of the LGBT community and will continue to fight with them."

1. really?

Does this really deserve media attention?

April 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AntiPC

It was never proven and can never be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, that the passengers on Flight 93 were the ones who brought the aircraft down. It was a story fabricated by the media in order to stamp everyone as a hero and to give everyone that warm fuzzy feeling about how great a people we are. For all we know, the terrorists flew the plane into the ground themselves when they knew they were not going to get to their target.

April 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Proud Liberal

silliest thing I've read online recently. The bottom line, the passengers prevented the plane from hitting the intended target right? How stupid can you be????

April 26, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. J

Thats it! Someone find Carson Daly and torture him!(joke) lol....It never fails, someone, somewhere will always be offended about something! Someone will probably find this comment offending...lol

April 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LearnTheTruth

I'm offended that people still think 9/11 was perpetrated by Muslims, and still haven't figured it out that it was a joint CIA/Mossad black op false flag in order to draw the USA into conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq, in an effort to encircle Iran in order to finalize the Globalist Zionist plans for a New World Order after Iran's destruction.

April 1, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jake

I think the most irritating part for me is that she went well out of her way to take her complaints to the press. Whine about it on your Facebook page!

I have nothing but respect for her son and others involved, and all gay people, but people need to take these jokes less seriously.

April 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Darkguardian1314

I heard the bite over and over and I think that GLADD over reacted. It's like you can't tell a joke about anybody anymore without offending somebody. For Gays and Lesbians, it's like you can't just apologize but you have to go to meetings and rallies and basically be indoctrinated to the way they want you to think. This is going overboard. Daly could have said with my luck I would have been on a plane full of cheerleaders and he would have had women groups all over him. No win situation. To tell a joke, you need a subject.

March 31, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Debbie

For all the insensitive haters: get over yourselves. Her son died. Gay or straight, he died doing something heroic trying to save the lives of his fellow passengers, and yes his own life. I seriously doubt you and the other insensitive people would have taken his course of action! I picture all of you haters cowering in your seats sobbing, and screaming like little girls!

March 31, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Emperor Vadik, CA

I don't think the joke was really offensive, but it wasn't funny either...

March 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darkguardian1314

Yeah, it wasn't that good but I think GLADD is attacking anyone telling jokes with a gay person as the subject.

March 31, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Argle Bargle

@ICAIR

"I'm offended by the mother's term "Islamist thugs". Not all Islamists are thugs!"

She didn't say they were. But you implied they are.

March 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. doledart

I'm sorry, but Carson did not mention her son, or reference 9/11. He was making a silly joke. She of course has every right to be offended, but to come out and make a statement about it? I'm sorry, but she just comes across as an attention hound, looking for any way to get her name in the paper.

March 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Liz

Seriously. Get over it. She's looking for something to be offended about.

March 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darkguardian1314

6 Degees of Separation. I agree. Billions of people in the world and someone is going to be upset. It was a total reach to make the connection with 9/11.

March 31, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Peter Lemonjellow

It's called a sense of humor. You should get one, lady. If a gay man had made this joke (???) it would be considered funny, but since it came from a straight man (???) it's offensive? Pullleeez.

March 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Commander

Yeah Mark Bingham was really on Flight 93 because when he called his mother from the flight he said "Hi Mom this is Mark Bingham'...look it up

March 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tim

Lmao, someone cuts a gay joke, someone gets offended, and the internet's in an uproar. I agree, take a joke people. Call us bigots or whatever but we know the difference. Dolts.

March 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Argle Bargle

@Tim, How about telling a Tim joke? How many Tims does it take to equal one brain cell?

March 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mat

Get over it already. It was a joke. Have a freaking sense of humor. If it hurts your feelings, grow a pair.

March 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Moe vee

He says he is allied with the LGBT community. In my world that means you still make fun of your allies. If the woman's feelings are hurt then apologize. An apology does not cost you anything, even a sincere one.

March 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jim

Cry babies everyone is so touchy in this country GET OVER IT!!!!!

March 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. billy

The fact that this guy made a joke is the story. I though he was some sort of robot

March 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. glyder

ok,where are the special interest groups.the limbaugh thing didn't seem to work out so.......

March 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  20. WDinDallas

Man, I laughed so hard my admin called 911. I am sueing this woman and GLAAD for making me laugh so hard I hurt myself....plus the $150 for the ambulance.

March 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. wjmknight

I understand why the woman is upset, but are we going to begin vetting every comic's monologues and demanding apologizes if they happen to offend us?

March 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Paul

Wait, can someone tell me, WHO IS CARSON DALY?

March 30, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  23. AmericanPeasant

I don't really understand why this woman is outraged. It seems Carson Daly is talking about a different flight and himself, not her son or Flight 93. The real outrage should be that the joke doesn't even make any sense and the outrage over it doesn't make any sense.

Carson Daly has just never been funny, no need to get offended over him and boost his ratings.

March 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Really???

Everyone just needs to keep quiet because ANYTHING you say will OFFEND someone. Why the media takes the time to report on this kind of stuff and why I am taking the time to comment is beyond me. Ridiculous

March 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Wow

Are these people ever NOT offended? What doesn't offend people these days...ridiculous.

March 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. NO MORE

Well, I guess that pretty much covers it. No more talking about anyone, ever again. Everyone should always be silent from now on, unless it offends mutes, in which case you should speak as loudly as possible- but be careful, you don't want to offend stutterers. And watch your language, because that might offend Tourettes patients.

March 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. JAYV111

Get a life

March 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  28. biggerballz

quit trying to cash in on 9/11 lady not every joke is related to that event

March 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ross

Get a life lady. It's not that serious...some people

March 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ME

Has anyone noticed the only people apologizing to gays, blacks, Muslims, etc. are while .
    I think what we need is a law requiring everyone to love and respect everybody else. NOT. NYET . NO !!!!!

I'm fed up with having to be PC. Get over it and quit complaining about everything. I'll bet you things would get better if we could learn to ignore "hurtful words". I APOLOGIZE TO CARSON DALEY .

March 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. phearis

Oh Please! I am sick of Political Correctness.

March 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Luke

When are people going to stop apologizing for things they shouldn't apologize for. I heard the clip and it was ok. People have to understand that they don't have the right to not be offended! They have the right to be offended and speak their minds but in the end all they have to do is not listen to what offends them.

March 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  33. randroz

Isn’t Carson Daly is gay?

March 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Matt

When are we going to grow some balls in this country? We can not joke about anything or anyone without some hyper-sensitive person getting bent out of shape. I am gay and this does not offend me. It was funny.

March 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. BlackandGold

Since when do we all have to apologize for speaking the truth? This country is slowly spiraling down the toilet.

March 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Sarcasmo

Shut up, Alice Hoagland. Even your dead son would have allowed himself to snicker at a simple joke. Way to honor his memory by puckering your corn hole and living an uptight existence.

March 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. James PDX

This is absolutely correct. In fact, no group of people deserves to be stereotyped. However, without stereotypes, comedy would suffer a catastrophic blow. And, let's face it, stereotypes are funny. So instead of demanding we completely do away with all stereotypes, how about we do away with PC people and their lack of a sense of humor. I feel they are far more detrimental to our society than a few stereotype jokes.

March 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. vegamatic

March 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • ohyeahright

"Haven't you heard? Only straight people can be made fun of, because everyone else is a victim."

Oh my . . . someone's bitter! . . . go design some flowers or do your hair . . . you'll feel better!

March 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Illeagle-j1

Mom, not everything is about you! Move on.

March 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Conspiracy!!

What flight 93!!!??? Flight 93 never went down !!!!

March 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. zivo24

I'm a gay man and I can say that I don't think Carson Daly meant to offend anyone with his weak attempt at a joke.

Was he guilty of pandering to stereotypes? Yes. But stereotyping doesn't necessarily mean bias or hate..and let's be honest...we all do it to some degree. Let he who has never lumped anyone together...

We all need to learn that words and even stereotypes are only meant to be hurtful when they come out of the mouths of people who mean to cause harm. Understand and appreciate the difference between a joke and malicious intent and we'll all be alot happier.

One of the greatest aspects that most gay people have in abundance is irreverence – their abiility to laugh at themselves and to not take or mean things too seriously.

We don't have to exchange that quality in order to gain equality.

With that said, I do understand that the person making this complaint against Daly is the mother of a gay man who lost his life while trying to save others. I think her point was valid, but again, I don't believe Daly meant to offend.

March 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Bill

His joke wasn't about gay people in general. It was about gay people who participate in the San Francisco Gay Pride Parade. He's talking about "over the top" flamboyant men who prance down the parade route half naked or in dresses. Go to Google Images and search on "gay pride parade pictures". These are the people to whom he was referring.

When people can't be goofed on for behaving exactly like they are behaving in those pictures, political correctness has gone too far.

March 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jack Crap

This is all too Gay for me. Whatever...

March 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Dave

"...knife-wielding Islamist thugs..."

Oh wow, that statement must really infuriate the terrorist sympathizing left-wingers in this country.

March 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Gary

Kill yourself, lady. It's so pathetic that everyone has to walk on eggshells and triple think what they say before they say it as to not harm anyone's delicate little feelings. Please.

March 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

Gary, go hang your self. You are a pathetic excuse of a human being who does nothing for the human race except consume and excrete. You are a waste of space. Your life should be torn down for a parking lot. The carbon in your body would be better used as charcoal briquettes. You are a sad sad sad little man. Whats the problem, didn't mommy hug you enough? That probably because she didn't really want you. Which makes sense because no one actually likes you, they just feel sorry for you. The only reason your dog pretends to like you is for food. Even your divorce lawyer thought your wife should have left you. Your are so mean and small and your life so pathetic that the only way for you to feel better about your self is to tear people down to your size.

There, how's that? No hurt feelings right pal? Don't want to have to walk on eggshells around you after all. Just kidding around, you can take a joke, can't you? Maybe later we can make fun of *your* dead son.

March 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Langor

Agreed.

March 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Josh

What this story doesn't mention is that the Gay Rubgy World Cup is named after Mark Bingham which I have had the pleasure of playing in. The team that he played for, the San Fransisco Fog, routinely beats straight teams and finishes near the top of their division in the Northern California Rugby Football Union.

March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Marc L from NY

I am offended by this woman for being a whiner. Is she gonna call me to apologize?

March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Michael

Yes, she needs to get over herself. Nothing ticks me off more than these people who cant take a joke or laugh at themselves. Tired of this politicially correct crap and these cry babies always saying they were offended or their "feelings" got hurt. Its just words people. Stop it. No, not all gay men are girle, not all people with glasses are smart, not all black people are theives, not all "native americans" are alcoholics. We know that. It was just a damn joke.

March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Qui Gon Bong

More PC BS. He's a comedian. Get over it.

March 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  50. KD

attention whoring at its finest.

March 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  51. 99

I am offended by Carson Daly too... Not because of this comment, but because he is just not funny.

March 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. heliocracy

Nobody knows who did what on Flight 93. No one remained after the "heroic" action of the passengers to tell the story, it's just a theory based on what some passengers said they were going to do, combined with the fact that the plane crashed. No disrespect intended, but you're very unlikely to be killed by grappling with a man who's wielding a box cutter, and in fact your chances are much better in doing that than letting the hijackers crash the plane. Taking the most reasonable course of action to maximize your chance of survival is not really heroic, it's logical self-preservation. That's just the truth.

March 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  53. AmOebA33

who really cares what carson daly has to say? he's as important/influential in/to our society as pigeon droppings. a no talent moron with absolutely zero musical taste/knowledge. he more than likely got his position/notoriety by putting himself in a position to receive from both ends.

March 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. james

Well...Carson isnt a comedian, though he tries to be.

March 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mike223

CNN's endless quest to victimize everyone is disgusting.

March 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  56. art

When are people going to realize if you say anything about any race, nationality or preference..other than white male- you are going to hear about it.

March 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

The real question is, when are people going to stop issuing apologies to save face? Carson doesn't care if people are offended by his joke. Why would he? His network is making him issue an apology. That joke is funny, it's not laced with bigotry, it's a JOKE. How do you spell America? P-U-S-S-Y

March 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • huskee

Very true. I'm not one to get offended so i can't understand why others do. Oh well.

March 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Luis Cipher

How dare Carson make a good point and maybe offend one of 6 million people in the nation. He should be sued by one of our 5.9 million lawyers for hurting someones feelings.

March 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • doug

And what's with the lawyer jokes? I'm a lawyer. What if I'm offended? Can I sue someone? Lawyers are one of the few groups around who can't even legitimately complain about severely mean and nasty stereotypes and jokes. In fact, we seem to like them. Maybe we can be an example of how to handle being offended.

But the problem is, unlike lawyers, gay people and other minorities, have been beaten and deprived of civil rights because of the so-called "stereotype" that the joke uses to get a cheap laugh. People use the stereotype to justify taking it from a bad joke to an outright attack. Think of that before you count yourselves among the "comedians" rather than among the "offended." How about being less offended, but boycotting bad comedians and untalented people like Carson Daly? And why not defend the outnumbered rather than using your status as the "majority" to exploit the minority, even if only for a "harmless" laugh?

March 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. John

And the pussification of America continues

March 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Dan

Considering that most jokes are about "someone" and something that is funny about them. It's now only PC to make jokes as long as they only involve WASP males.

March 30, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  60. doug

We should all do what Bill Mahr suggested recently in the NY Times. Take a vacation from being offended. A joke is still a joke even if it stereotypes someone. Hopefully, by now most people know that being gay is not synonymous with being weak or timid or cowardly. If someone still isn't aware of that, being offended by the joke isn't going to enlighten them. The joke, by the way, wasn't the least bit funny. Not laughing – that's the remedy for a bad joke.

March 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Pete

carson daly IS a joke -

March 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Geri

Most of us didn't even notice the 9/11 thing. We were talking about the recent Jet blue incident. Sorry.

March 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  63. anonymous

Good grief, what's becoming of our society? I'm sick of people constantly having to worry about what they say, because someone is going to take some offense to whatever was said. Build a tougher backbone. Everyone knows that the people aboard those flights were heroes for trying to take down the terrorists. So who gives a rat's patooty what some outdated host has to say?

March 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  64. JRRinAtlanta

Come on, lighten up....What the "F"!

March 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. pauleky

Love how everyone is defending the comment. I'm guessing you folks love your racist, gay and/or any other kind of joke that demeans other people. If that helps you feel better about yourself, well I don't think it's gay folks or Bingham's mother that has the problem.

March 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Chris Bourne

It was a joke. What a bunch of politically correct cry babies!!!

March 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • huskee

I agree. Boo frickety hoo, I'm offended. I can't recognize a joke, I take everything a celebrity says as personal and blow my cork to make a name for myself.

If someone disagrees with these comments i will write cnn and say how offended i am, then I'll start my own

March 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Jeanine

It was a funny remark. Very funny. That's all.

March 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  68. art

I will bet anyone that I could kick Carson Daleys but with one hand tied behind my back, and thats a fact

March 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Bourne

Art, buddy, it's spelled "butt" not "but". I would think with as much time as you spend in that location, spelling it wouldn't be an issue!!! ROFL

March 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Parker Lives

He's a complete wuss. I'm still amazed that he actually has people that listen to his crap.

March 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Another Mom

shuff...learn how to read...you must have scored zero on the ACT ....the woman is the mother of a gay man...she is not gay...

March 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • rhofwi

@ Another Mom- thank you. This is exactly how things get twisted. To all the morons that posted here...shhhhh.

March 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Robert

We're witnessing the death of comedy...

March 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Carson Daly

The only news here is that Carson hasn't come out of the closet yet.

March 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  72. alcourts

March 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Goose66

I noticed that gay pride parade was in brackets. What did Carson really say? Because I think everyone would agree I would rather be on the plane with a bunch of security officers or police officers, gay or straight, than with a bunch of florists. So I don't see how those statements would offend anyone, except butch florists.

March 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  74. joe

It was a joke. Hyperbole is the primary element of humor. I'm sure that Carson Daly realizes that not all gays are florists. That's impossible. Who would be interior decorators and hair stylists? And host television talent shows?

March 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  75. D. Maul

Im offended that she's offended. Daily should hade grown a spine and not apologized to this whiner.

March 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bob

Carson Daly has never been the sharpest tool in the shed, but a tool nonetheless.

March 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Bob

Carson Daly has never been the sharpest tool in the shed (but he is a tool).

March 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  78. freelance7

Since 9/11 everyone's a hero. Everyone has a mother. Everybody's offended by something. It's a losing battle.

March 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  79. J R Brown

I can't imagine the sheer frothing at the mouth this woman must demonstrate at practically every episode of Will & Grace....

March 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  80. that guy

"Why wasn't her son wearing a dress? "

Why doesn't your mom wear a dress, jamal? Is it cause your parents are two male islamic terrorists? You seem to think 9/11 is awfully funny, why don't you just move to the middle east? You don't seem to love the America that abolished slavery under the pretense everyone is equal.

For the record, I forgive you and Jesus loves you.

March 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  81. AGeek

"Oh, I'm sorry if you're offended, but maybe you needed to be offended. So here's my apology ..and one more thing, #$(* YOU!"

/You Can't Bring Me Down – Suicidal Tendencies

But seriously. Stop being offended by every little damn thing. It offends the delicate sensibilities of every reasonable person on the planet.

March 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another Mom

you're just another insensitive idiot who doesn't get it...crawl back under your rock please.

March 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  82. AmesIA

Ignorance and stereotypes have been mainstays of lazy humor for ages. 50 years ago a fat white guy could "joke" about smacking his wife for backtalk.

March 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • رهملالتيل يدلب

A wife should know her place and not show disrespect to they're husband. Or she will getting corrected by him.

March 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Scott

Hey. Carson Daly is alive. I thought he died after TRL got cancelled.

March 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

I remember back in the day when he was on MTV News with Kurt Loader.... back when he'd wear Green Day t-shirts. Haven't been a Carson fan in long while...just seems kind of phoney and like he'll be whoever he needs to be to advance his career... I seriously doubt he wrote the joke he said, nor did he really pay attention to it as he said it...

March 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  84. BTF

Your son isn't a hero, ma'am; rather, an unfortunate bystander. The plane was shot down.

March 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Synfield

It wasn't shot down, it was crashed into the ground. Subtle difference, but I would expect subtlety to be lost on most of this crowd. Some people with seriously deficient souls post up in here.

March 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  85. keith

STOP APOLOGIZING everytime u or anyone offends someone.... This lady is ridiculist. I am offended by FAT people who work at my place of employment that drive my health insurance up. I am offended by this lady looking to make some money and get her name out for publicity..

March 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  86. juniorbarnes

Alice Hoagland – you are miserable. Sorry to hear about your son, but how does this joke correlate to your son? Who would you want backing you up during a security threat? A crew of security professionals or a bunch of queens? Your son was very brave and acted quite heroic ALONG WITH THE OTHER PASSENGERS on flight 93. The joke wasn’t bashing gays and in no way should you be upset. Get a life.....

March 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  87. RodG

I'm sorry, but I think the Lady is being a bit over sensitive. It would be one thing if he made a direct reference to her son or to his flight, that would be one thing, but I truly think he was being funny and was not directed at her son. Is she now going to take everyone to task for a gay joke by insinuating their talking about her son? Like Tracy Morgan said, "if you can take a d***k, you can take a joke."

March 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  88. mfx3

If her son were still alive, he'd tell her to quit embarrassing him. Shut up, woman.

March 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  89. sue

its called a sense of humor

March 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  90. dkva

He made a gay joke and she made a stereotype remark. Now they both should apologize calling gay Islamist for being thugs.

March 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Joshua Ludd

The comments here just prove again that for some their hatred and fear of gays trumps even the most heroic actions by someone who happens to be gay.

March 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jack Be Humble

The mom had a right to be offended, her son is no longer here to have an opinion.

The hero himself might have just shrugged it off as just another "gay" stereotype. He knew what he was capable of. He was a hero.

And no amount of bashing or belittling can tarnish what he did by sacrificing his life for potentially the President of the US and many other occupants of the White House.

March 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  93. getover it

Get over it lady. Eff her and everyone that dwells on politically correctness. Focus on making statements to local school districts that allow the bullying of these gay kids that take their lives at a much higher rate than anyone else. Not on a joke made on a show that no one knows about. YES I said GET OVER IT!

March 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  94. For @Graced

@Graced – in your logical way of thinking regarding not all Islamist are thugs... Wouldn't your same logic apply to Carson's statement? Not all Gays are going to flower conventions either. I am a gay male and was not offended by what Carson said. When are we going to stop being the nation of whiners... Not saying her being offended is not valid, I am just stating that we need to stop whining about what someone says all the time. It's like the entire US Nation never grew up out of Grade School.

March 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  95. danielle

"Islamist thugs" are exactly what those terrorist where who attacked innocent people on 9/11. This is not to group all people of Muslim faith. As I get older I've come to realize people as individuals are idiots and bigots, not any particular group, race, or religion.

March 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Matt

People are such babies. What a joke. Get over it.

March 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Aeromechanic

So what was the part that offended one of the 911 hero's mother?

I didn't read anything about 911. I read about a security conference and a comparison to a guy parade charter.

March 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Turning Texas Blue

She was overly sensitive. But, maybe her son's birthday is soon or something. Her son is a hero and Carson Daly's comment was clearly not malicious.

March 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  99. David James

Im gay and that joke was HILLARIOUS!!!

March 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Brad

Is this trash seriously considered news? I'm offended that this is on the front page. I think I deserve a front page news article because I'm offended. Since this won't make front page news I'll have to add a few items... 9-11! GAY! 9-11 was orchestrated by gay islamists in the us government!

Seriously. This is ridiculous.

March 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  101. رهملالتيل يدلب

9/11 was tragedy for whole world. It is sham everyone beleve propaganda. Israelis blow up WTC, then blame Arabs(truth).

March 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Synfield

Out of the long list of brainless statements made here, this is the prize winner.

March 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • darcechoke

Ha! Now if Carson Daly could be this funny, maybe he'd still be relevant.

March 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdt3

The reason why the Isrealis were here filming because they knew it was happening. Chandra Levy who was an Isreali spy slept with Gary Condit who was on the defense committee in Congress. She died before 9-11 because she told the Mossad what was coming. The Mossad and the British Intelligence warned the US 50 times that Bin Laden was coming because of Chandra.
      Dick Cheney and Bush had to have both wars to make money. Cheney's Haliburton was broke before 9-11. Bush's Carlyle Group made skyrocketing money off the war. All at taxpayer expense. Its a great scam.
      Republican President and General Eisenhower didn't call Bush and Cheney the Military Industrial Complex for nothing. They will kill anyone for a buck.
      The Isrealis had nothing to gain from 9-11.
      Cheney/Bush wouldn't have gone to war like Clinton wouldn't do or Gore if he was elected. So they fixed the election.
      Do the math yourself...

March 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Your Name Here

You're a brainwashed idiot!

March 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Doug

Who cares if people are offended?

March 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

My sympathies to the mother of the gay son... with that being said, I am really getting tired of everyone being so hypersensitive to everything that is said! If your offended keep it to yourself. I for one don't want to hear about it. get over it!

March 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Hope's Ghost

I do, which is why I mount your mother from behind so none of my friends see me with her. They wouldn't let me live it down.

March 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another Mom

Doug, would you still be spewing this BS comment of yours if we could see your face, your address? Another hateful man hiding behind his keyboard...get a life man. You sound like the kind of apatheic loser who wouldn't have budged from his airplane seat to help bring down the plane...you would have sat there like a "I don't care what happens next cuz I'm clueless kind of guy."

March 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Same Question

Another Mom.....same question to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Babs

thank you.

March 30, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  103. TheDalyBlunder

Carson Daly is one of those people that has always turned my stomach. They needed to keep him lost deep in late night TV. He tries WAY too hard to be relevant, and always falls flat. I think I saw someone say he is a tool......
    He is the definition of one.

March 30, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  104. Double R

You should all be ashamed of yourselves........what kind of people are you? This mother lost her son who was brave enough to have given up his life to save so many of you cowards.

March 30, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Em

Was it her son or her daughter?

March 30, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Graced

Good for you, Double R – I sometimes wonder if our soldiers who fought so hard for this country would have just walked away shaking their heads rather than fight if they saw what we've become. Her son was a soldier, whether he wore a uniform or not.

March 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kramer

..do you actually agree with the official record of events for that fateful day

March 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ok

Settle down Double R...I don't work or live at any of the targets or suspected targets so he didn't save my life. If everyone is going to get so touch and literal about these things so will I.

March 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • babs

Really? no one can take a joke anymore. He wasn't talking about HER SON. it was just a joke. People are too freakin' sensitive.
      someone above said "If you can't take a joke you will keep being the butt of jokes." well, duh.

March 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Mark

I kind of wondered about her son. I saw him interviewed on tv and he did look a little swishy. I wonder if he is involved with the Trayvon case?

March 30, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  106. Chris

Offended? Really?

It must be a sad existence where someone as insignificant as Carson Daly has such control over your emotional well-being and fragile psyche.

March 30, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

Gays and lesbeans get offended real easy. They are super emotional. You always see gay guys crying. That why people call them sissies.

March 30, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Winston5

her son is dead (classless nimrod)

March 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kramer

.....and Bingo was his name-o

March 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

Umm, Chris, did you read how her son died? He died trying to save you and me, he deserves respect not ridicule. He was a man, not a stereotype.

March 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack Be Humble

Anytime a mother is robbed of the life of a son, it's a tragic situation, and can lead to the remainder of her life being less fulfilling than it would have been otherwise. She can take pride in the heroic action taken by her son; that may give her some solace. But being reminded of the loss by reading a joke on the subject of "pansy gay man in reaction to critical situation on a plane" could cause her to become upset - I can understand that. Humor can hurt; that is one of the things that makes it funny.

March 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another mom

Chris, when you become a hero by bringing down a plane controlled by terrorists, I'll be proud of you. But right now, you're soundling like a cold-hearted clueless idiot...

March 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big George in Big D

Oh crap – gays carry the offended crap too far! Get over yourselves!

March 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • JEM

Really? Why don't you get back to us with your emotional well-being and fragile psyche after one of your family members is killed in a plane crash.

March 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  107. be quiet

Carson Daly is a tool. This mother's statement is dead on. Think before you speak, idiot.

March 30, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Jamal

I agree with you and liam. Gay people are extra funny. Why wasn't her son wearing a dress? Maybe he is one of them closet gays. I think they are called lesbeans.

March 30, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • ICAIR

March 30, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Graced

ICAIR – calling them "Islamist thugs" sets them apart from the average Muslim. She spoke of a very specific group of people, who numbered only in the teens. She did NOT say all Muslims were thugs.

March 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Yeah! .......oh right?!?!!?......freeddom of speech! People

March 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  108. liam

That was very inconsiderate, hurtful and rude!

March 30, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  109. The Måd Råp3r

I thought gay people were allowed to make gay jokes?

March 30, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  110. Get over yourself

Oh brother...give me a break woman...

March 30, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Graced

Really? The mother of a gay child who helped save numerous lives at the expense of his own stands up for gay men and women because someone's thoughtless enough to intimate that gays and flower designers are pansies? And you want her to "get over it?" Shame on you.

March 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously?

She was offended. She has her own perspective on things and his comment offended her. She's free to state that it was, for her, a hurtful comments

March 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shuff

Agreed... that was funny. Just because this woman is gay does not mean everyone else is.

March 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Seriously

March 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Another Mom

Get over it? I wish I knew who you were...post a picture of yourself please so the rest of us will know what an idiot bigot looks like.

March 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • pauleky

She's right – it's time for the limp-wristed stereotypes to end. I'm guessing Get over yourself has some personal issues with which he or she is struggling.

March 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You wish you knew who he was? LOL – if you're sitting here seriously complaining about a joke made in good fun, then I HIGHLY doubt you would ever have the stones to do something to this person Anothermom

March 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

TO:"Get over yourself"
      You are a "Can't Understand Normal Thinking" look at just the caps lol
      btw can some post "Get over yourself" address so people can pay them a visit!

March 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever!

@Graced...sorry but they ARE and most of them will happily admit it, well at least the ones that I am friends with do!!! It was a JOKE, if you take every joke seriously, someone somewhere will always be offended!!! Get over YOURSELF it was a joke!

March 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Summer

You get over yourself you Loser.

March 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Myself

You are a vile creature, I won't call you human and for that matter, you must be a Teabagger or narrow-minded Repugnican. That man was a hero and his mother has every right to stand up for him in the face of steroetypical comments.

March 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric of Reseda

Said the person who has never felt the hate and discrimination of an entire society....

March 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • abqTim

Oh, my poor dead son. Not: "Oh...brother"
      You POS.

March 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • indyfan2

How did you tear yourself away from Lush Rimbow to read this article?

March 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trickie Dick

People that can't take jokes will continue to be the butt of them. And, yes, if you whine about a joke, you are a pansie.

March 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aces Full Mike

I know gays are sensitive and all, but this is a bit overboard in the PC department.

March 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • RonBurgundy

Would everyone be so up in arms if he was dishing on Christians? Before you reply with something stupid, think about it.

March 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

indeed

March 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Argle Bargle

Arm or leg?

Injustice toward one is injustice toward all.

March 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darrin

I agree...it's comedy! It was funny! Gay people are funny! Comedy is all about stereotypes, white people can't dance, black people can, of course none of it is without exception but because there is general truth to it, it's funny! When we are finally able laugh at one another together, we will know that we have risen above bigotry. You said it man – get over it!

March 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

No, Mrs. Hoagland does not need to "get over herself". She lost her gay son on 9/11/01, the worst terrorist attack to happen on US soil in the history of our nation. She was offended by Carson Daly's joke, and had every right to say so.

March 30, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Voie of reason.

I agree. There is a line that exists between something meant as humor and something meant to be taking seriouly. This comment was OBLIVIOULY meant as humor. When we hear something that offends us, there should be a moment, before we demand retribution, where we ask ourselves: Did this person intend to degrade or offend anybody? If the anwer is no, then there is no need to react. This, I believe, is an idea that most people have lost sight of. Not everything has to be taken so personlly....it was a joke, period.

April 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |