Jennie Garth speaks on split as Facinelli files for divorce
March 29th, 2012

Jennie Garth speaks on split as Facinelli files for divorce

Jennie Garth is opening up in the new issue of People magazine about her recent split from soon-to-be ex-husband Peter Facinelli, who filed for divorce on Wednesday citing "irreconcilable differences."

The pair announced that they were ending their marriage two weeks ago.

Still, the “Beverly Hills, 90210” star admits she was “very resistant” to go through with the split from the “Twilight” actor - despite the obvious difficulties they were having.

“I tried everything I could to save our marriage,” the actress tells the magazine. “I was very resistant. I didn’t want it to happen."

But Garth, who will soon star in the CMT reality show “Jennie Garth: A Little Bit Country,” admits that career realities, such as watching Facinelli be intimate with other actresses onscreen, were tough for her to handle.

“There was jealousy over having to see your husband on screen with another woman,” she says. “It wasn’t always easy."

The 39-year-old, who turns 40 next week, also says that the pair tried therapy, only to watch their marriage continue to unravel. She adds that she still wishes Facinelli “had wanted to try harder, try again, try something else.”

According to People, the couple has asked for joint custody of their three daughters, Luca, 14, Lola, 9, and Fiona, 5.

Now, Garth is focusing on building a new life as a single mom.

“I can’t change it. I can’t be sad and stay in bed about it anymore. I have to move forward," she tells People. “I’m slowing finding my own voice again...There are days when it seems I got it all figured out and days when I lose sight. I just have to keep on my path.”

1. Matt

I think people here are being way too harsh on Jennie. At least she admitted to not being perfect. Usually the ones who admit to character flaws are the great people while the ones who don't are less likely to be likable.

Okay, Jennie's not perfect, but if she were this monster you're making her out to be, she would have used the press to kill her husband's career. But I guess this won't stop people from painting her as the Antichrist.

August 31, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. big deal

She's so insecure that him doing his job on screen threatens her marriage? I mean, look at Jennifer Aniston, she knew how to let her man go to work and their marriage worked out just fi..., oh, wait, nevermind.

April 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Zills

She found out he was a Vampire :):

April 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jj

Peter is one very good-looking vampire.

April 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dylan McKay

Kelly, I'm here.

April 2, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. FogofGwar

I find it very confusing when press releases like this are put out in public. My first reaction after reading makes me ask, Really?!? Does a person actually pay someone to help write an explanation and tidbit about their personal current affairs?!? Is this really necessary of them to do this?!? Why did I just read that?!? Funny world.

April 1, 2012 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Marta

SHE CAN DO WAY BETTER THAN THIS *OUCHEBAG!!!

March 31, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michelle Clevers

She is a strong, beautiful women that will survive!

March 31, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Robert Powell

It’s all been written about and exposed in a great new book–

"THE DEVIL'S BANKER" by Gary Van Haas on Amazon-com

Check it out if you want to know the truth what's really going on!

March 31, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. JaniceFromBayRidge

From his TimeOut interview by Melissa Fleming (I guess the towel got too heavy after all!)
    As working actors, you and Jennie both have incredibly demanding schedules. What’s the key to your successful marriage?
    We take it one day at a time. My theory: Don’t throw in the towel in a relationship if you’re having rocky times. You’re just going to have to start over with somebody else and then you’re going to have rocky times with them. Every time we’ve ridden through the rocky times, our love’s gotten deeper. At this point we’ve been together 15-odd years and I can't imagine trading that time for somebody else.

March 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anonymous

For those that really care she is a very jealous vindictive person....this is all so she has everyone thinking "poor Jennie' but in fact it should be "poor PEter'.....anyone who really knows the truth knows that she is jealous and this is the tip of the iceberg....her article is a PURE cover up.....one day the REAL TRUTH will come out.....very sad that she exposed her children to this story...what does that tell you alone...especially when it is not the truth....Peter is the one that tried to hold the family together...he is an amazing person and one day the truth will come out.....that it the real news you want to hear....

March 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

If she's so jealous and vindictive, why hasn't she been trying to kill his movie career? Just because she was a little jealous doesn't mean she acted on it. And we don't know what he was doing on screen and offscreen. But she was the first one to squash rumors that he was to blame for anything.

And to the guy who said she cheated on her first husband: Incorrect. They were divorced by time her and Peter began dating.

August 31, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sam

She was jealous about seeing him onscreen with other women?? He's an ACTOR – that's his job. And since she's one too, you'd think she would know he was just ACTING. Besides, his role in Twilight is hardly risque – I don't think he even kisses Esmie.

Also, it wasn't really cool for her to publicly blame him for not wanting to "try" anymore. Their kids are old enough to read that and she should really keep her mouth shut about stuff like that for the sake of the kids.

March 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eeh

She was married to someone ELSE when they started their relationship. It's not exactly like they even STARTED on a good note. Surely she can't be surprised.

March 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Incorrect. She was divorced from Daniel before she began dating Peter. I know you said later about karma so I'll say it here...karma is not your personal attack dog to go after people you don't like. And it's not like My Name Is Earl's version, either. What you call karma is really schadenfreude. You delight in her misery. Calling it karma would be like calling it gravity.

August 31, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. scyren

I met her back in 90210 days and she was a complete B to me for no reason. I didn't even approach her. Only they know what happened though. Clearly something was going on there that was intolerable. Feel sorry for the kids more than I feel sorry for them.

March 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

All actors/performers/whatever have bad days. I'm sure if she met you another day and you explained what happened, she would've apologized and tried to make it up to you.

August 31, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. shandy

She might have been jealous for a good reason (maybe he showed his love onscreen more than off). I think it's all so sad. She obviously wanted to make the marriage work and he did not. I don't dump my husband for his insecurities. I try to make him feel more secure.. Maybe it was an issue and he got tired of it. Maybe there were other more important reasons. We don't know. But it's seems some people don't take the marriage vow so seriously anymore and know divorce is always an option.

March 30, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  16. Rita

That's hollywood life. Fame can either tear up a beautiful family or build it up. But most likely tear it up. People get into a relationship, when they get tire of each other, they move on to another one. It's sad to see all of those trying years thrown away because of fame. Few hollywooders know the secret, learn from them. Don't let fame and money rule over a wonderful relationship that is build on love, especially the little ones are caught right in the middle of it, very selfish. Hope things will work out, being a single mom is not easy, when the kids start growing up, that's where both parents come in. But anyways, I wish you all the best. Be Bless.

March 30, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • ryan

really are you a froot loop? All this nonsense about relationships and hollywood. What planet are you on? The same thing happens all over this country in big and small towns nowhere near Hollywood? Half od all marriages end in divorce. They were married 15 years hardly a reason to say they had hard times and just through in the towel!! they are balancing 2 careers, 3 kids and whatever else just like many people. Maybe time and life just took them on diffrent paths and they will be much happier seperate. Its sad but divorce is always sad and when children are involved that makes it tougher. BUT I hardly think its good for her children to see her laying in bed (she said it) depressed and struggling. What example is that? The only thing worse than being in a bad marriage for 15years is 15years and 1 day!

April 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Cynthia

Peter Facinelli is an extremely handsome man. I'm guessing that he gets a lot of attention from women when they go out in public, and it probably was killing her since she was probably used to being the center of attention from her past television series. She probably blamed him and made his life a living hell. Another thing-that reality show-it was probably her idea and since some people like to show off their lives and some like to keep it private, maybe they butt heads about that too. I don't know, but she is losing one amazing guy. By the way, she won't be a single mother. She will be a divorced woman with children, and her ex-husband will be sharing the custody, so she needs to stop saying that she is going to be a single mother.

March 30, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. trentgolden456

Shes still hot....Ill marry you tomorrow jennie, and i wouldnt kiss another woman.

March 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Debbie

@Di: having a spiritual base isn't always indicative of a good, solid, lasting marriage. It takes two people to make a good marriage, but it only takes one to ruin a marriage.

March 29, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. chaozz

My love of all time and now she is single..Yeppie

March 29, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jermery

my buddy's sister makes $15 hourly on the computer. She has been fired for five months but last month her payment was $1296 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site makecash30com.........

March 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Craig

Dylan - McKay. End thread.

March 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ed wood

Oh poor Jennie!

Maybe she can find comfort in the arms of Derek Hough. She made no secret of the fact that they were enamoured with one another on national television and right in front of her husband.

She suffers from the Katy Perry Syndrome..i.e..I'm going to do what the fu//ck I want

March 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Incorrect. She's not the type to do something stupid like that. If she were as selfish as people are trying to think, she would have done everything in her power to kill his acting career.

August 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. RG

I think he made it in the industry and realized that he didn't need her anymore. So sad but very typical.

March 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. WINSTON888

who cares?!!

March 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Peggie Davis

Oh dear, she cites her issue with jealousy as a root cause? How does this speak to her chosen profession? Her own television scenes of intimacy...Is she THAT immature as a professional? No. Something or someone else is "goin on" here. This is one lame "excuse" to state to the media...How foolish, on her part to have said ANY such thing about an acting career. Now if one or the other was having an affair, that is ONE thing, this, however, makes NO SENSE and is very LAME. Surprised she can't do better...I mean "staying in bed" because her jealousy overwhelms her when her husband kisses another on screen? What's wrong with THIS PICTURE? Plenty.

March 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Observer

i feel bad..but if he cheated he needs to go. he's not a good example to his wife or the marriage itself

March 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Brian

I'd love to date her!!

March 29, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  29. SUNRISE

Used to work for a major airline, and Jennie's sister worked for the same airline. Was told by multiple people that Jennie and her Mom thought that they were all that just, because she was on a hit tv show. They were travelling on priviledges on a reduced rate, and they were supposed to be low key. Maybe this "Look Who I Am" carried into the marriage. Sad about the divorce, but not if you carry on with snobbism.

March 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Hmmm.....this contradicts everything I've ever heard about Jennie from people who have met her over the years.

August 31, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Ken

She probably never would have done the People interview if she wasn't filming a reality show. Don't resolve your personal relationship issues in front of the camera.

March 29, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. km

going through it myself...always SAD for the kids !!

March 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dee

Please, don't do it ... not a reality show! Hope this isn't for ratings.

March 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • sherry

I was thinking the same thing. NOT ANOTHER REALITY SHOW, it's like a quick fix for actors and actresses these days, as well as housewives. These shows are toxic...especially to marriages.

March 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. michelle

Hang in there!! Divorce sucks... especially after 11 years. I am experiencing it after 17, and I wish mine tried harder too :(

March 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Di

After reading this, there is much more to this story....First off, you all are actors, and you all are going to most likely have romantic scenes with other actors, that is the profession that you and your husband chose. Apparently you all do not know each other to understand that there are three parts to a marriage; his; hers, and ours....If your personal space is not respected, if you all don't know how to support each other in the ways that one needs to be loved and uplifted and respect each other; then you have no business being married. Most importantly there needs to be some type of spiritual base in the relationship. Not for nothing a lot of couples can be very selfish and self absorbed and not respect each others values and space....I feel sorry for the kids more than anything else....

March 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Marie

I feel bad for them. I thought they were a cute couple and family. I don't get the jealousy thing though. If she is referring to The Twilight Series, as Carlyle you NEVER ONCE saw him get intimate with Esme. The most you saw them do was hold hands. I hope she wasn't jealous of just that. :/

March 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Christine

I love both celebs,but i want to say good for Jennie,good for her atleast she tried,i love her and i hope shell continue to,be positive.

March 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  37. new trailers

This is a good movie

March 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. randomthoughts21

Last quote has a spelling error..slowly .. not slowing..

March 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  39. rez

now that is insecurity. you knew you married an actor but you become jealous when he's doing his job?? her issue, not his obviously. I would have told her to pi** off too if I was him

March 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

I agree. She sounds super insecure. Didn't she do the same thing as an actress? If anything, she should have understood. This sounds like her problem, not his, and it sounds like she was ANNOYING, and it came out of her mouth. You can destroy your own marriage with pettiness. Now, if he cheated, different story, but it sounds like insecurity.

March 30, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lonnie

She was the bread winner in the beginning. When he started making big bucks, he dumped her. POS

March 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Triumph

This is a good story. . . . For me to POOP ON !

March 29, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  42. Jeannie

Just when you think there's a strong marriage in Hollywood you hear of their divorce. That's to bad. I love these two as a couple & as actors. I've seen every single episode of 90210 & I love the Twilight movies. What is it that pulls Hollywood couples apart? Stay strong Jennie.

March 29, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  43. Observer

More liberal garbage!

March 29, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  44. Charlie Crack

@Sly Sadie- oh shut up already. Peace showed me a pic of you and your butt ugly like the rest of them.

March 29, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  45. Sly Sadie

Serves her right. She is not as hot as I am. My man would never cheat on me. Why would he? He has meeeee!

March 29, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • d

You say you are hotter than jennie garth? prove it

March 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wow

wow,am sure you are but there can be hotter girls and women out there,you need to realize its not all about looks,and your not the only person that can be Hot.

March 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ d & wow

you do realize that she was being trolled. it was probably vixxy. she hates her for some reason. just thought you should know that you are slamming the wrong person.

March 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeah Right

Being beautiful or "hot" doesn't mean you wont get cheated on. Besides your negativity will bring you nothing but karma. Get real are you sure you aren't getting cheated on as we speak.

March 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bennyboo

Of course he has youu......Please keep the trailer wamr for him when he comes home..

March 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Summer

@Sly Sadie...seriously dude? Get a life. Get off your oversized big bottom and stop shoving food in your deformed face and get out and do something productive instead of sit and monitor this site all day.

March 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheryllynnmeier

ur not big on urself r u? jenny is a very pretty women and im sure she will have no problem finding a another man.if i was u i wouldnt put all ur eggs in 1 basket about 'MY MAN WOULDNT NEVER CHEAT ON ME' who know know he could be doing it right now and u wouldnt see it bc ur so full of urself.unbeliveable on how women think there the best thing on this earth just remember there will be someone prettier than u along with everything else.slm

March 31, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  46. LUSA

Aw. I feel sorry for her. The problem with half the world today is that no one seems to try. She really did and too bad her husband couldn't try a bit harder!! Sad for the kids most of all. Divorce Sucks!

March 29, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Divorce does suck, but she admits she was jealous of watching him on TV with other women. There is nothing about him cheating. Plus he is the one who filed for divorce. I also read in another article that she got fed up with him being gone all the time. She was an actress, she should know that being on TV with other women is his job. She probably nagged him too much asking silly questions about him being with other women and he just got fed up. What she calls "trying to keep the marriage together" is really her just ragging on him like a crazy woman. They just weren't a good match and yes it does suck for the kids, but that is what happens when the man is out all the time and the woman is couped up with the kids all the time.

March 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

It soumds like he DID try to save the marriage. THEY went to counseling (not her alone). They had been having trouble for years – and at some point, if you haven't been happy for years, it's time to move on.

I think she sounds like an insecure jerk. It was crappy of her to publicly blame him for not wanting to try something else. Their kids are old enough to read, and for the sake of the kids, she shouldn't have said that. And she says she was jealous about seeing him onscreen with other women, but that's crazy and insecure because he's an ACTOR and it's his job to play characters who aren't really him (I'm pretty sure he's not a sparkly vampire either). She knew he was an actor when they married, and she knew what was involved with being an actor because she's one herself.

March 31, 2012 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  47. TM

I think its just sad...

March 29, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • MI

did he cheat on her? if he did then she made the right decision. if a wife tolerates a cheat she really has no self esteem. (assuming this really happened)

March 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • observing

i'm sure she kept her "don't deal with it" computer on for awhile for the kids...but unfortunately if you do not drop him he will keep doing it..she has her own bucks anyway and still very pretty..she's find another guy.

March 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |