March 29th, 2012

Alicia Silverstone's feeding technique raises questions

The reaction to actress Alicia Silverstone's mouth-to-mouth technique for feeding her 10-month-old son Bear Blu was "gross!" for some, but others were left wondering what the big deal is.

The video clip, which Silverstone posted on her website, The Kind Life, has since gone viral. It depicts the mom of one mashing up some of Bear's meal in her mouth before spitting it into his. The video itself was taken a month or two ago, "when he was a bit wobbly," Silverstone wrote. "Now he is grabbing my mouth to get the food!"

While her tales of feeding time have undoubtedly put Silverstone in the "quirky celebrity mom" category - one that's already filled with stars like Mayim Bialik, who's not into diapers, as well as those who've named their kids as creatively as possible - it's also raised questions of whether it's healthy.

Chimed in CNN.com commenter Sunnysout, "Sometimes I think we need to just leave celebrities alone with their stupid baby names and gross ways of feeding their young. If the kid doesn't have teeth, he shouldn't be eating something that another person has to chew for them. Use a blender. I swear, sometimes it's just about being different that they seek. This is straight up gross...It would absolutely make me want to puke to chew my food then swap it to my child."

But others point out that it's not that unusual, particularly in other parts of the world.

"[P]remasticating food was how our ancestors fed babies (before blenders). It's actually more natural than modern times and some anthropologists think this is how the human kiss came to be," said commenter Mr mister.

Added commenter Odds, "It's unlikely that this form of feeding could cause any harm to the child, and quite likely that it will make the food easier to digest. It may seem unusual in our modern world, but there was a time before foods came pre-packaged and ready for a baby to eat. How do you suppose mothers fed their children during those times? Or did you imagine they went straight from breast-feeding to eating the same foods as adults?"

Commenter Teddi followed suit, suggesting that "If the thought of this reviles you, do some reading folks. As an aside, not everyone trusts commercially prepared baby food, that's why many use food processors and blenders. In today's society, this is not the worse thing that a parent could do to a child. Remember the Casey Anthony case?"

However, commenter Debbie wasn't totally on board: "I'm all for innovation, but it seems a little off. When our children were about 13 months old, we'd take whatever we were having for dinner (pot roast w/vegetables, for example) and roughly pureed it with a small amount of water. My children were benefiting from nourishing meals and also getting used to not having baby food. Since the first part of digestion actually begins in the mouth, Bear is not getting the full benefit of the nutrition she's trying to give him. Got to give her points for trying, but it's kind of self-defeating since she is actually removing much of the good stuff (vitamins and minerals) with her chewing it first."

But with her website's audience, at least, Silverstone seems to have a supportive audience. While some found her method charming and cute, others said they've already employed the mouth-to-mouth feeding method themselves.

Commenter Angelica McBeath wrote on Silverstone's site Tuesday, "I did this with all three of my girls. It just seem so natural to me. I would chew, they would eat. For all of those that are concerned over hygeine. Dont be. Its your child, do what you feel is right...Love so much that you shared this!!!"

Filed under: Celebrities

1. i hear ya...

and i appear to be an ugly old wench...lololol.

January 8, 2013 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gucci アウトレット

Aw, this was a really nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and on no account appear to get something done.
    Gucci アウトレット http://www.guccijponline.com/

January 8, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. AGuest9

This is why food processors were invented.

April 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Falcon

Who cares? You are all being a bunch of germaphobic crybabies. Some of you parents are the reason kids don't play outside. GERMS ARE A PART OF LIFE. Deal with it. Babies make great vacuums. If you raise your child to fear germs you will be raising a hypochondriac. My mom used to chew up our food a bit when we did have teeth so that we wouldn't choke to death, I'd say that is amazing mothering.

April 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fitness

That is really attention-grabbing, You are an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for in quest of more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I've shared your site in my social networks

April 24, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. bronco

Come on Alicia, you are not a bird! The saliva from your mouth is probably full of bacteria. How will your child learn to chew if you do it for him. This just really weird and disgusting. I made all my children's baby food so I am all for healthy living, but your practice of pre- chewing your child's' food is ridiculous. What is next? Will you speak or think for him? Will he be a child that never experiences a sense of accomplishment because Mommy does it for him? I don't understand the reasoning behind this behavior. It is most certainly not my business on how you raise your child, but this practice is weird beyond belief.

April 21, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Epacific

Really? How do you think our ancestors fed their children for millenia? What, you think only pre-package food in cute jars with a baby slapped on the front is nourishing? As for bacteria, it's people like you and their germophobia that's causing the increase in allergies: as long as she's not sick, it's not a problem.

April 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jen

I don't understand why we care? Mind your business.

April 18, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. ECLSIC

This is ridiculous that people are even debating, worried about, or care what she is doing to HER child! Unless she is beating the $h!t out of him, burning him, starving him to death, or something like that what difference does it make? THIS is what is wrong with America today... Go get YOU some business and stay out of others. Of course, she is crazy for posting this because it was going to solicit reactions from people. While I never directly spit it in my baby's mouth I did chew food up for her at times and guess what I owned a food processor... The enzymes in my saliva actually helped her break it down. Go read about it for those that are so smart and before you start going in on me know that I have a degree from Cornell University as well as a Masters in Public Health from Tulane so I am not stupid or uneducated. And for the record not all kids have teeth at 10 months... my daughter's took a long time to come in. It amazes me how people who know nothing of other cultures love to criticize people. News flash the people in the US are only about 9-10% of the world's population. This is why people in other parts of the world shake their heads at us over here. If Alicia likes it I love it. Is it gross? Sure, but who cares. If the baby is eating and they are happy, more power to them.

April 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. fotografia artystyczna

Great paintings! This is the type of information that are meant to be shared across the web. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and consult with my website . Thanks =)

April 16, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. SheilaC

Ewww!

April 13, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stentor

This from the woman who put her dogs on a vegan diet. Genetically carnivorous animals forced to be vegan, now that's gross.

April 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fritz Hohenheim

Just because the cavewomen did it doesn't mean we have to. If we did everything our ancestors did, we would still be burning witches in the name of christ. Its called Evolution, not DEvolution, girl!

April 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rachel

Using previous and other cultures who do not have a blender/processor is ridiculous. Some cultures also feed their children blood from cows and goats, others used uncooked meats, and many continue breastfeeding to much older ages than is culturally acceptable in ours. Don't point to other cultures as a justification unless you are in that culture and confined ot those same technological restrictions. Otherwise, say it how it is and defend it using YOUR culture if you need to.

April 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • okay...

OMG...what are we ever to do!!! Arest her! Okay if you think it's gross, don't follow suite. I've done that for my son as a baby on occassion...and he's a happy, healthy, well adjusted, Last Airbender/ Legend of Korra (or whatever it's called) loving 6 yr old. I mean, I'm sure she doesn't feed him PRIMARILY like this, so the boy will survive this...unharmed.

April 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Red Pison

Do you know how many germs are in the human mouth? She's going to mess that kid up big time since his immune system isn't as developed as an adult's.

April 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rae

It's gross. I'm sorry, but that kid had teeth. That's nature's way of saying he needs to feed himself.

April 11, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. huh

That is so nasty. Blew her husband the night before and premasticating food the next day.

April 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. William

Having a child with extreme susceptibility to cavities and having to see one pulled, all I can think about is however "natural" this is, it also "naturally" transmits the mother's mouth bacteria directly into the child's. Bad idea. We have other ways to pre-masticate food for children now, why throw away all those inventions our natural brain has invented?

April 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. nicole

I can understand that this was the way hundreds of years ago..but also at that time, there were probably far less diseases and ppl just didnt do the things ppl do nowadays..that is why i just say yuck..in a country, there was a high incidents of AIDS for example, being passed on from mothers to babies because this is how they did it "the good ol' fashion way"//i believe that being traditional and old fashioned can be beneficial..being natural etc..but when there are resources, and when certain contact can pose an exposure risk, ppl need to realize that this day and age is far from how it was before..ppl adapt to the changes, so while in the past ppl survived and their immune system was used to certain things, there are things that because of how we are used to certain things, we simply would not work right with us now..things evolve..and ppl forget that things have evolved in good ways, but there are always things that have developed that are not so great..an example as I mentioned is disease..and it can be passed on to a child..and nowadays ppl do too many things..n suffer from illnesses or typical seasonal ones that a baby simply can pose a risk to..

April 9, 2012 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jack Tors

Interesting form of bulimia, Alicia! Why wait for it to enter your stomach before throwing it up into the toilet! Just disgustingly spit it directly into your child's mouth!

April 6, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  20. Agrav8td

I don't care how 'crunchy' a person is, that's just plain disgusting. I know she's a vegetarian or something, but I didn't know she thought she was a bird.

April 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dan

This is how they fed babies before they had baby food. Perhaps spitting it into the kids mouth is a bit much but it was common practice to chew the food for the baby and then give it to the baby.

April 4, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  22. Jason

Actually, anyone who has taken an anthropology course knows that this is how human beings have made baby food for children and the elderly who don't have teeth to grind the food into bits before the inventions of electricity and blenders. Think about it. How would someone without modern technology make baby food any other way? Food sharing in this way is probably how kissing got started on our species. Its gross for us in modern times with our obsession over hygiene, but its a cultural repulsion based on our relatively luxurious environment.

April 2, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Donna

I am a mother of 3 and a grandmother to 2. I've broken down food for all of them. I would break it down with my front teeth and then feed i to them. I used my fingers and did not do the mouth to mouth. Almost everyone I know has done this. It's not a cultural thing. I think it's more geographic.

April 1, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  24. andy

When you eat and beverage daily microorganisms types on your the teeth. This is why it is best to remember to brush and floss your the teeth at a minimum regarding twice a day to cure teeth cavities. When germs types in your mouth area it remains right now there till one thing is done to get rid of this.

April 1, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  25. General contractor

We employ full time residential and commercial drafters that design your visions for your home and business properties. We realized having "in house" drafters, not only helps us obtain building permits much faster but also saves our clients time and money.

April 1, 2012 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jay Williams

She's not the first mother to ever do this, but that doesn't make it any less NASTY. The mouth, like the other major orafice, is a private area. But let's just deal with the inappropriateness of being all over your child's mouth that way. Notice, toward the end, how the baby wants to suck her mouth even when he's not eating. How's she going to wean him later on and get him to eat like a normal human being when the time comes? He's either going to have a serious developmental crisis in his growing years, or he'll be a grown man eating out his mother's mouth. Disgusting!

April 1, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  27. disturbed

What's more worrisome is her son's hand flapping. That could be a sign of autism. Is she's so concerned about doing the best for her son, she should be monitoring his actions.

March 31, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Could increase cavities.

Actually, there have been several studies done that show a mother's saliva has bacteria that a baby's does not. These bacteria are what lead to gum disease and tooth decay. So, it actually could be harmful for her child.

March 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Pat Zimmermann

How do you think we fed our babies solid foods when we were weaning them more than a thousand years ago? We chewed the food first and then "kissed" it into their mouths. Some authorities believe this is the invention of the kiss.

March 31, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  30. MittR

Hey Alicia, Why no Clueless II ? Give the people what they want. Cher spitting food into poor little kids mouths in a movie. Mitt

March 30, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Anthony

I kind of wonder how she decided she likes this method. It really would never even occur to me to try this.

March 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  32. one eyed willie

Doesn't she know that she gets all the nutrients from chewing and not the child? Unless she spits really good while feeding. She must think she's still eating for two.

March 29, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Zachary

Denise, you're kind of a dope, how about I shoot a man-load into your mouth?

March 29, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. KMD

That is THE MOST unhygenic thng I have seen in a long long time......Your mouth is the dirtiest thing about you....So when that poor baby gets a super infection and dies because mom thought it was so sweet to expose her son to bacetria his little body cannot fight off....bet you it wont be so damn cute then would it.....dummer than a box of rocks......

March 29, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duckpond

KMD-
      Odd that you choose the phrase dumber than a box of rocks, yet you can't spell the word dumb. Both you and Debbie can console each other on your unconscionable stupidity. You probably agree when she says that digestion begins in the mouth so the baby is losing vital nutrients. She was only awake for the first five minutes that day in 7th grade health class. The enzymes in your mouth do indeed begin the digestion process, but absorption will take place quite a bit south of there. I absolutely love the nonsense I get to read on these posts. Makes you remember how much of the general population lacks intelligence. At least it's Friday.

March 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. J.J. Bugs

I dont want to know how she changes a diaper. http://duckduckgrayduck.com/

March 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. denise

That child should have been eating on his own by now. Even at 8 moths babies should be feeding themselves finger foods. There are plenty of healthy soft foods to choose from. Trying new things and feeding themselves make babies happy and they love it!! Its obvious that alicia wants a mommas boy for as long as possible and if she can get some negative attention at the same time thats just bonus.

I am a mother to 2 beautiful kids and I am a phenomenal mother. Both my kids are healthy and smart and the reason I draw breath everyday. I would NEVER feed my kids this way. This smacks of the terroristic LaLeche League.

The list of reasons against this is a mile long. Near the top of the list is that this poor kid will never live this down. He will be made fun of in school for his name and how it was all over the internet that he was fed in this twisted way.

What happens when he sees another baby eating the RIGHT way? Is Grandma suppose to spit food into his mouth too?

The ONLY way to get a baby trained on eating solids is to let him eat solids!! This alicia is one selfish, selfcentered and elitest idiot.

It is well known that babies NEED fat and protien in their diets, not crazy vegan wasted calories. She feed him these idiotic "garnish" foods so she can act pious and look down her nose at ppl who dont eat that crap.

One more thing, that baby should be sitting up at 4-5 months, this poor thing cant sit up in the video being TWICE that age. BECAUSE HE IS TOO WEAK AND BRAIN STARVED. Its not a matter of IF he winds up with emotional issues, its which ones. Will she spit his medication into his mouth too? This poor kid is done before he starts. Shame on her.

Mom

March 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chrissy

I just hope he doesn't turn out retarded. Having a tard for a son would be a bummer.

March 29, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • MittR

I enjoy getting a thermometer stuck up my arsse every now and then...you know-to take my temperature. Forget the ear or forehead new method, I'm an old school kind of guy. And it feels good too.

March 30, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. Barbara

To those persons who think that what Ms Silvertone did was gross, they need to pull their heads out of the sand! How do you think mothers fed their babies before there was baby food?! Especially poor mothers! Chewing the food and feeding it to the baby was a normal occurrance and still is. A mother carries a baby inside her body for nine months and once he/she is born the mother isn't clean enough to feed the baby with food that she has chewed! ? Grow up people!

March 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • KMD

It is not necessary in this day and age......If all they had to eat was meat and things the child could obviously not chew....than ok I will give you that.....but that right there is showing off...and badly

March 29, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • TommyBoy

Um, but isn't there baby food or a blender available to Ms Silverstone? Not following your point. What people did 100-200yrs ago is of no relevance. Dumb comment by you.

March 30, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jessica

It is really non of our business and I can't believe they are wasting time reporting on this. Cnn just spent like 5 minutes reporting on this and even talked to an expert...wow what a waste of time. At least she is feeding her child. And our opinions shouldn't matter to her.

March 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Bentraven

While most people probably wouldn't do this, it's just one of many ways that I'm sure she expresses her unconditional love for her child. It never ceases to amaze me how anxious and willing people are to bully others with criticism. Really, people, grow up.

March 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  40. julie

This is no one else's business.... I'm sure if she was ill she would not do it.

March 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  41. dr Ozzy Ozbabby

What if she had strep or the flu? Would this not easily be transmitted to this young child?

March 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. tracie

If her little baby like to eat poooop would she chew it up first then spit it in his mouth?

March 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. tracie

It's a poop festival ! Pooooop !

March 29, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Observer

Is that liberal poo*p?!

March 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. evryonehsanopinion

Couldn't said it better myself Lynne.

March 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Turtle

It doesn't seem very cleanly. Does she do this when she has the cold or flu?

March 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Cartman

:). poooop :). Patrick said the p word. poooop.

March 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  48. lynne

There is a reason humans don't feed this way anymore.

The main source of dangerous childhood diseases like croupe are the parents. While this can happen simply from contracting the germs and being around the child, exchanging saliva only seems to be asking for trouble. Immunity is not transferred through saliva, anyone who has ever caught mono can attest to that.

So, yes, parents did do this in the past. But life expectancy also used to be your early 40s, and it was somethign of an accomplishment for children to live past 5 years of age. Do we want to return to those times? Really? I am SO SICK of people using history as a reason to do things that fell out of use for a GOOD DAMN REASON.

March 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Samantha

@Wayne, how do you *catch* cancer? Its not a cold or chicken pox!

March 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. evryonehsanopinion

"Kids can't chew or tear food" What?? Since when can't kids Tear or chew food? I have two kids and never had a situation when I needed to Chew food for them.Have you all gone mad?

March 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kerrie in Portland, OR

This just happened to be the comment I stopped on, you rude ass punks, grow up, shall I take this moment to tell you
      about life, you invited it so you deserve this. I take it you have no one you are in love with, obveously so, cuz if you ever experienced this you would have gladley chewed food for your loved one, or are you sadistic and wanted your loved one to choke. Guess I figured out how ugly you are!!!!!!

April 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Kenny

Yeah ! POOOOOOOOOOOP ! ;)

March 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • kerrie lange, portland OR

Pooooooh you Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk

April 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Beavis

^ ^ ^ He said poooooop. ^ ^ ^. :)

March 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • K. Lange, Portland OR

You waaannnaaabbbeee- use your own words-you un-loved

April 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Patrick from DC

As gross as it is, this isn't particularly novel. Kids can't chew or tear food and if you are out and about, you make due. Now if this is an every meal thing, yeah, that's pretty weird, not to mention horrendously inconvenient.

But for those who think it's child endangerment, no, it's not. The kid gets fed and appears happy. And let's face it, kids are gross. They poop, they puke, they spill stuff and don't care, eat dirt, sneeze all over the place, drool, etc. If kids weren't able to live with a certain level of filth, we'd all have died in infancy.

March 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beavis

You said POOOOOP. : ). : )

March 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Choconet

This is old school parenting and women have been doing it for centuries!!! I bet if half of you ask your moms what she did for you when you were babies, you forward thinking people would be appalled. Nasty yes, dangerous no, otherwise there wouldn’t be 7 billion people on the planet!!!

March 30, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Kerrie Lange

Hi, I am computer illiterate as of winter term @ 50 years old, this subject striked a nerve in me so now here I am, I thank you for your compassion on this subject. I have 2 negative and one positive thats yours, thank you, I have faith in my future social security payment, Hah! Hah! just kidding, not that I doubt you, I have to doubt the system!

April 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Wayne

This is way dangerous. I've heard reports of people choking to death and even catching cancer. It is pretty rough.

March 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Me too, our friend. This is far more dangerous than people might think. You could catch some serious diseases doing this.

March 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Observer

Oooo you just wait until I get DWTS crown!!! I'm just going to swing by that big white house in DC, walk up and down the front with me anti-liberal sign shouting jig a boo, jig a boo i see you!

March 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Meg

This may not be "dangerous" in a life threatening way but any dentist will tell you it's not a good idea, parents have different bacteria in their mouths than infants, their mouths have not yet been colonized by bad bacteria, which is why dentists recommend you do not even share eating utensils you are using with your child. This bad bacteria eventually causes cavities and can be avoided by simple caution.
    Additionally, the process of mastication is an important part of development for infants, if an adult is doing it for them they are loosing some of the nutrients in the food as well as the full benefits of fine motor development that is chewing.

March 29, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I kind of like the word mastication. It reminds me of boobies.

March 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

Thank you Meg for mentioning that this causes tooth decay.

"any dentist will tell you it's not a good idea, parents have different bacteria in their mouths than infants, their mouths have not yet been colonized by bad bacteria, which is why dentists recommend you do not even share eating utensils you are using with your child. This bad bacteria eventually causes cavities and can be avoided by simple caution."

Exactly!

March 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • shelle

This is not something that is mainstream. This is the kind of thing that people do to get attention. However, if you want to go against the mainstream with something that involves your child, you better do your research beforehand. As a future dentist, this is not a healthy way to be feeding a child. Most importantly, a baby's mouth is a sterile environment and a mother's mouth is not. She has bacteria that is cavity-causing (mainly streptococcus mutans) that is easily passed from mother to child even with seemingly benign behaviors like kissing. This direct transfer of food is not good for the child for this reason. Additionally, pushing the food around his mouth with his tongue is one of the early mechanisms by which the child will learn speech. Please, mothers, do not copy this behavior.

April 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mia

Thank you for the only intelligent response.

April 6, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  57. evryonehsanopinion

I am usually pretty open minded, but I need to say that this is not only disgusting, but it's stupid and unnessessary in an age of food processors. If I saw a father doing this with his daughter I would be even more uncomfortable. This is a shock-value stunt and it worked. Congratulations on being so open minded your brain fell out. You need to find work because you obviously has too much time on your hands if you are thinking of crap like this to do with your child.
    also: @cnnlicksit
    Whoever told you that you cannot pass disease through saliva is a moron. You CAN!

March 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Derrick

Lots of people do this, except they take it out of their mouths with their hands, and then put in the baby's mouth. Digestion begins in the mouth using saliva. http://www.derrickduffie.com

March 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Alexander Thomas

I have heard reports congress is considering making this practice illegal. It is highly dangerous and numerous injuries have been reported over the last several years.

March 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mark

Silly and unnecessary. Her child is perfectly capable of eating his own food. All she needs to do is prepare it for him to eat. She's either lazy or 'uninformed' to put it mildly.

March 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Lewis

What she did is pretty strange. Mayim still breast feeds her three year old. I don't get any of this.

March 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Paola

But I did not give it to him mouth to mouth. Also it was just meat and not all the food.

March 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Danny

She is a liberal stooge.

March 29, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  64. Paola

I did this myself a couple of times when eating out and did not have food processor on hand. I don't see what the problem is. I actually saw someone doing it too and thought it was a great idea when you don't have any other way to make the food easier to chew for your child.

March 29, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  65. Kim

This is how Eskimos feed their babies. It seems a little gross but harmless. Chill out people!

March 29, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Clarissa

then they should put Eskimos in prison. I though Eskimos were nice folks. I didnt know they are abusive to their children.

March 29, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • TommyBoy

Kim, I'd like to feed you my man-yogurt sometime. Since you apparently enjoy yummy stuff fed into your mouth. Email me back pls. -TB

March 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Observer

my dance partner spits in my mouth with is one eye willy. i like it much!

March 29, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  67. Kelly Ann Barr

That is just so gross! So not right@

March 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  68. maria

I'm all for natural good things for children, but this is ridiculous. I breast fed for a long while and want what is best for my children too, but geeze do it DONT film it for all to see. Me thinks there is another reason for this video being out there.
    \

March 29, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  69. Mary

Sorry, this is just plain gross. By a blender, then you wouldn't be spitting into your kids mouth! This is 2012, not the days of the past. I think she is just being plain lazy. Imagine if your hubby chewed his food & spit it into your mouth. Gross! Sorry, this is wrong is so many ways!

March 29, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  70. Observer

This is how all Liberals feed their children.

March 29, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

I suppose your a liberal then daddy. That is what you do to me, cept it is not your mouth that feeds me. You must be feeding me wrong.

March 29, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • @Observer

You are such a jerk! I'm a liberal. I bought a blender to make baby food. Pretty easy, too. Why don't you go hang with your tea party bunch. I'm sure they enjoy that "freedom" to spit in their kids mouths.

March 29, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

^ Should have been an abortion.

March 29, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

That was meant for Fore, but it applies to you too.

March 29, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
    • @Observer

What's a matter you old crotchity tea bagger? Truth hurt!

March 29, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • libby

Not this liberal!! I fed my baby organic baby food and when she was older and had teeth, I simply cut up what we ate in smaller pieces for her to chew. Alicia Silverstone is a nut job. The kid obviously has some teeth at 10 months old and he should be eating and chewing smaller pieces of food. So what if mothers chewed their babies food 200 years ago! They also washed clothes in a river and pounded them on rocks at one time too! We have food mills and small electric choppers and food processors. I repeat, Alicia is a nut job.

April 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  71. cnnlicksit

I'll say it again, look up human kiss on Wikipedia. There is nothing about pre-masticating food as its origin. It is a fairly recent Western culture custom. Also, there is no immunity transfer by saliva. Thats just ridiculous. Lets all call this for what it is... another wacky celebrity doing wacky things with their kids. Anyone who names their kid Bear Blu is obviously not thinking clearly anyway.

March 29, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Barb

Would not normally waste my time commenting on unimportant news such as this ! But I am 60 years old and part native American . My mother and Grandmother told me how mothers always chewed their babies meat , veggies and all food to keep their babies fed . It was normal thing ! As they had no Gerber Baby food hundreds of years ago and im sure they did the same all over the world!!!! Guess its ok to meet a stranger at a club and french kiss a stranger all night !

March 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

Woah, so if it's not on Wikipedia it must not be true? Brilliant. It's actually a very common, well founded theory on the kiss. It makes absolute sense that human mothers would chew the food for their children between breast feeding and teeth. At least things that can not be easily mashed up in a bowl. There's nothing gross about it at all. It's the child's mother for christ sakes. Though I won't say it's not odd that she would do this when there are plenty of less out there alternatives. It doesn't make this gross or insane. It's just different.

March 31, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Despite your dubious use of wikipedia as a source, let's go with it. Look up Premastication on Wikipedia, cnnlicksit. "In many human cultures, the act of premastication and direct mouth-to-mouth feeding is linked with the showing of affection, known as kiss feeding. This form of feeding is believed to have evolved into the modern human acts of kissing and french kissing."

April 2, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • LMFAO

Ha Wikipedia?? Yeah now there is a trustworthy source. Maybe once the authors who submit work have to start proving their expertise then fine but half the garbage out there is just that, garbage...
      Google it. You'd be surprised how many sites out there disagree with you....

April 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Alecia

what a stupid woman. she should swallow it instead giving to the baby.

March 29, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  73. lol

Is she part robin? They chew up worms and puke the worms in the baby robins mouth.lol

March 29, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  74. JellyBean

That is some nasty stuff.

March 29, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  75. Clarissa

I hope they put her in prison for child endangerment or child abuse. She looks really old for her age.

March 29, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Americans Are Deluded

Clarissa there is no endangerment there, its thinking like this thats destroyed our country.

March 29, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • get over it Clarissa

@ Clarissa This is hardly child endangerment! You're comment is hateful.

March 29, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Clarissa

Well, what if while she was feeling him like that he accidentally stuck his tongue in her mouth and she chomped down and bit it right off? That sounds kind of dangerous. Poor little guy wouldn't have a tongue then.

March 29, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Clarissa

feeding. – not feeling. Sorry.

March 29, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Nunya

"I hope they put her in prison for child endangerment or child abuse." – are you kidding me! child abuse!? your a stupid ufcking moron, in no way shape or form is this even remotely close to child abuse. your an over sensitve worthless peice of dog crap for that comment.

March 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • snoop

She should do that with my spermies after sucking on deez nutz

April 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • HPNIII

Hey technically it is probably true in ancient times before baby food was invented, this was the way things were done. It is also technically true in ancient times before toilet paper was invented people use to wipe their butt's with their hand. There have been a few good inventions in the past few thousand years Alicia, oh by the way I will assume you had "Natural Child Birth" right.

April 2, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian1204

Since most people think meat comes from the store, beans from a can, etc. I don't expect them to understand how a traditional and ancient way of preparing food for babies wouldn't be 'gross' for them.
      Try organically growing / raising your food, slaughtering your meat, and see where your life really comes from.
      Get out of the city, away from the clubs and TV and see what LIFE is about.

April 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • brian1204

It sounds like most of you have no idea that our food doesn't come from the store, and we don't grow it aseptically. Germs are not bad (the vast majority are needed for our survival) and not only does this make the food easier for the child to digest but creates a deeper mother-child bond.
      Think about that when you're driving with your child in the back watching TV in you SUV while going from one artificial environment to another...

April 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JAJA

You're obviously not a parent.... at least not a very good one. Want to see child endangerment? Spend a day with someone n social services. You'll be ready for Alicia to feed YOU.

April 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • nicole

u make no sense..what does her age have anything to do with it? while it can be risky and expose the child to germs or whatever, child endangerment applies to indifference or reckless behavior that threatens the life or health of a child. this is not reckless, it could be nasty in our eyes, sure she can pass germs, baby can get sick, but it is not her plan to harm..it will not cause IMMINENT harm to his health or life..child endangerment would include driving while intoxicated, leaving child unsupervised or unreasonable corporate punishment resulting in bodily injury. this may not be the best method in some eyes..but it is ignorant to label something child abuse for the simple fact that u dont like it. I do not like this method and i think it does increase the chances of exposing the child to disease..swapping illnesses and germs and even taking away nutrients during chewing, but it is far from her being a bad mom or endangering her child. she is doing it in good faith...

April 9, 2012 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
    • atroy

Well, if they open a prison for people with low IQs, you'd better go underground.

April 13, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |