March 28th, 2012

'Dancing' says goodbye to its first star

Professional athletes tend to do quite well on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars," but tennis stars appear to be the exception to the rule.

Monica Seles finished 11th out of 12 competitors on the sixth season of the popular series in 2008.  Now, Martina Navratilova is the first to go this season.

The 55-year-old tennis legend learned her fate last night, one day after she struggled with a difficult jive. Despite the early elimination, Navratilova told CNN she enjoyed the experience.

"I loved learning how to dance," Navratilova said. "I loved working with [pro partner] Tony [Dovolani]  and I'm going to continue learning how to dance."

Dovolani, who has yet to win a Mirrorball Trophy in his 13 seasons on "DWTS," hoped he and Navratilova would have lasted longer on the show.

"I'm actually kind of devastated.  I'm surprised America didn't give us another chance, as I wanted them to see Martina's heart," he said. "She completely exceeded my expectations."

Joining Navratilova in the bottom two last night was singer Gavin DeGraw, whose enthusiastic but uncoordinated routines have been polarizing. DeGraw told CNN he thought he would be the one getting the boot.

"Even as I was up there waiting to be eliminated, I couldn't help to think that it was an absolute honor to be in a situation like this with Martina Navratilova," he said.

What did you think of last night's "Dancing with the Stars" elimination?

1. contacto de chicas en valencia

I have been surfing on-line more than 3 hours lately, yet I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful price enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the internet shall be much more useful than ever before.

April 9, 2012 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Margaret

i think she was just so nervous that the nerves controlled her...she did many steps that were quite good.

March 29, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. stu

Do these dancers get pd the same no matter how long they last? If so,Tony got it made.

March 29, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. Debbie

If everyone puts all their energy into it, we can stay on topic! These performers put a lot of time and practice into their dance routines, whether they win or lose, they work hard, and deserve some respect! Doubt any of us would be willing or able to stand up and be critiqued on national television.

March 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DWTS_fan

She was my first choice to go... Next one is gonna be hard... Great season, so far!

March 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. sally

Martina is a great tennis player but not a good dancer. Tony is great and always treats his partners with respect.
    I'd rather see him than someone like Maks, who acts like an arrogant jerk most of the time. Good try, Martina, just
    not your comfort zone.

March 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • marina

i am a dancer and she did a number of steps that were good...however i agree with other reviews the nerves took control..this has nothing to do with tennis we know she's the greatest tennis play of all time..shut up

March 29, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • marina

it had nothing to do with being taken out of her comfort zone..nobody took her out ...she took herself out of her comfort zone...all she needed was more time...and a dancer and instructor we are aware of this stuff...do you dance sally...most likely not.

March 29, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • marina -- correction

it had nothing to do with being taken out of her comfort zone..nobody took her out ...she took herself out of her comfort zone...all she needed was more time...As a dancer and instructor I am aware of this stuff...do you professionally dance sally...most likely not...the electric slide is not professional dancing...

March 29, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Miranda

Sally, I can't understand why Marina is being so snarky to you. Saying that she was out of her comfort zone was not in any way insulting. Marina – stick to dancing.

March 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Derp

I'm trolling on Derp today. I think they like that ball room dancing. And maybe base ball.

March 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rodney in Dallas

This show is set up. Mark Ballas and Derrick Hough always seem to get young girls as their partners while people like Tony get old women. Give Mark a 70 year old and give Tony a 20 year old and see if the tables are turned.

March 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chris Haftel

I feel bad for Tony, he is so good and they never pair him with the right partner.

March 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Derp

I only hope Trayvon is ballroom dancing in the sky. Rumba our Trayvon, rumba.

March 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

He'l probably smoking weed with 2pac and Biggie Smalls thinking "Damn, I shouldn't have attacked Zimmerman."

March 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • marsha

Derp, this is a blog about DWTS, not Trayvon, not politics. Stick to the subject.

March 28, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Derp

I love it too. It is ab fab. Everything about it is just so glamorous. Ball room dancing is just so daring and continental.

March 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sunnysout

what, Derp, do you creep on all the articles to add your stupid unwelcomed comments, so you can come back later and see who's feathers were ruffled. Pathetic.

March 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. meme

I hear observer luvs this show.

March 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rita

I feel so bad for Tony. The only time he came close to winning the mirror ball was when he was paired with Stacey Kiebler and she was really good. I don't blame him if he doesn't come back to DWTS but I hope he will. Maybe next season he'll get a break.

March 28, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Miranda

Boo Hoo. No mirror ball – He's a professional. He's making cash doing the show. Devastated is a bit over dramatic, don't cha think?

March 29, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Hmm

The fans got it right, she had to go. Of course, the politics of it all won't come into play until 3 more stars are given the boot. Then, we'll see the "bad" voting and the stars that don't deserve to stay end up staying another 2-3 weeks.

March 28, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |