Alicia Silverstone takes cue from birds for feeding time
March 27th, 2012

Alicia Silverstone takes cue from birds for feeding time

We know Hollywood isn't into commonplace baby names, but it looks like at least one celeb also has a unique approach to feeding time.

Actress Alicia Silverstone, known for her "Clueless" role, has posted a video clip on her blog that shows her using her mouth as a utensil to feed her son Bear Blu.

The 35-year-old vegan star, who welcomed son Bear with husband Christopher Jarecki last May, described having a breakfast of "miso soup, collards and radish...cast iron mochi with nori wrapped outside, and some grated daikon" on Friday, adding that Bear got to taste some of the mochi and vegetables thanks to mom's mouth-to-mouth feeding technique.

Silverstone demonstrates with a video that's about a month or two old, and shows her chewing up a few bites first before dropping the goods into Bear's mouth with her own, not unlike a mama bird would do.

"It's his favorite" way to eat, she writes in the post, "and mine."

So much so, that Bear seems to expect a snack when he catches Silverstone noshing on something.

"He literally crawls across the room to attack my mouth if I'm eating," she added. "The video was taken about a month or two ago when he was a bit wobbly. Now he is grabbing my mouth to get the food!"

We take it that he enjoys the vegan fare, then. Silverstone told Parenting magazine that Bear "will be vegan as long as I'm feeding him. I want him to have the healthiest start as possible in life, and I hope he's inspired and excited by how we live."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. eating gluten free

What i don't realize is actually how you are no longer really a lot more well-liked than you may be right now. You're so intelligent. You already know thus considerably with regards to this topic, made me in my view consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be involved unless itˇs something to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. All the time care for it up!
    eating gluten free http://glutenfreebreakfastideas.com/gluten-and-dairy-free-diet

January 21, 2014 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. sugar free diet

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually
    sugar free diet http://glutenfreebreakfastideas.com/drinking-gluten-free-beverages

December 23, 2013 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. Otha Deforrest

Time may heal all wounds, but the scars that remain can be unsightly, itchy, stiff and painful. Pharmacy aisles beckon with "clinically proven, doctor-recommended" scar products, and the Internet teems with anecdotes of different creams and elixirs that supposedly erase old scars or prevent new ones from forming.:'^;

Remember to check out our favorite internet page <http://www.healthwellnesslab.com

July 3, 2013 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Everyone knows the pigs....it will never work her cuz i'm the fonzette in town

June 15, 2013 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mitchel Bitetto

Although cold sores and canker sores are often confused for each other, they are not the same. Cold sores, also called a fever blister or herpes simplex type 1, are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Unlike canker sores, cold sores are caused by a virus and are extremely contagious. Also, cold sores typically appear outside the mouth - usually under the nose, around the lips, or under the chin, while canker sores occur inside the mouth.*^..,

Our web page http://www.caramoanpackage.com/index.php

June 15, 2013 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ingrid Bado

We all know that the American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth, thoroughly, twice a day and many of us have been begged by our dental hygienists to actually floss. Cosmetic dentist and Huffington Post blogger, Dr. Thomas P. Connelly, adds that a morning tongue scraping is a "huge" part of overall oral health. -:

My current blog site
    <http://www.foodsupplementcenter.com/

May 2, 2013 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Wilburn Desposito

Alicia Silverstone was born on October 4, 1976 in San Francisco, California, the youngest of three children to Monty Silverstone, a real-estate investor, and Didi Silverstone, a former flight attendant. Alicia's career began at the tender age of six when her father took some photos of his young daughter..,

Our blog site
    <,http://www.prettygoddess.com/

February 26, 2013 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. chris

useful for me .I bookmarked your site!
    Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

research.com

August 4, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. riproduzioni quadri

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be at the web the easiest thing to take into account of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed at the same time as other folks consider worries that they just do not recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , other people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

May 12, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. Discounted Conference Calling

Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a applicable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vibrant clear idea

April 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Samsung Wave 2 Price in India

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have read this post and if I may I want to recommend you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I wish to learn more issues approximately it!

April 17, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Teenage Depression

I get pleasure from, cause I discovered just what I was looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

April 16, 2012 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. need advice

Hello there, I discovered your site by way of Google while searching for a comparable subject, your web site came up, it seems to be great. I have added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 11, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. shampoo for hard water

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping to give something again and aid others such as you helped me.

April 3, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. black currant oil for hair

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

April 3, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bap

I used to be suggested this blog by my cousin. I'm now not certain whether or not this put up is written via him as nobody else know such detailed approximately my difficulty. You're amazing! Thanks!

March 31, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  17. Licht

I believe that is among the such a lot vital information for me. And i'm glad studying your article. But want to observation on some basic things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is truly excellent : D. Just right job, cheers

March 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Printer Service Manual

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I'm no longer positive whether or not this post is written by him as nobody else realize such precise about my problem. You're incredible! Thanks!

March 30, 2012 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  19. gkat

Disgusting. Just another Hollywood weirdo trying to set some sort of fad and that is why she posted it I believe , otherwise could have kept the moment to herself. Ooo lets get attention by spitting chewed food in our infants mouth. Even if chewing an infants food for them ever was necessary it certainly is not now. Obviously the world used to do a lot of things that do not need to be done that way any longer . Caught it on CNN and was surprised that they seemed to be rather "repulsed by it too. Would have thought their so obviously liberal view would have gave her a pat on the back, after all we wouldn't want to offend anyone in Hollywood would we? Stupid name too,Bear

March 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pants Party

Just wrong.

March 29, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. mjd

I wonder what's going to happen if Bear is on a playdate and his playmate's Mom eats something. Is he going to grab at her mouth? I'm not a Mom but that is poor parenting.

March 29, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sullibury

This is getting soooo ridiculous! We are a society way too focused on germs and cleanliness. It's during our childhood where we should be exposed to "everyday" environments. I can't imagine that Alicia Silverstone has so many germs in her mouth that her own child would get ill from her. Hand sanitizers (except in the medical field) are preventing us from becoming strong adults. Because everyone thinks that if they aren't around germs life will be perfect has not been educated. An article (http://consumer.healthday.com/Article.asp?AID=662391) states that 50% of most of our children are developing a large range of allergies and immunity issues, compared to only 7% of Amish children who work on their farms. WE are making our kids sick because some of us think sharing is icky. Well I say, let our children eat dirt and I bet they'll be stronger adults for it.

March 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. geezo123

And to think how upset some people get about breast feeding......................hmm

March 28, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. feyangel

There is nothing wrong with this form of feeding– though probably the mom would want to skip it if she is sick– though probably her kid will get anything she gets anyway– and vice versa. But in tribal cultures, moms have fed their little kids like this forEVER. We civilized people are just so STERILE, for all the good it does us.

March 28, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  25. tooquiet4me2005

First time she picks up thrush from her baby, she'll change this silly habit.

March 28, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  26. cnnlicksit

Anyone who thinks this is normal needs to seriously get their head examined. There is no transmission of immunity through saliva. Saliva is 98% water and the rest is mostly enzymes for breaking down food. Kissing did not evolve from this. Kissing is a Western culture expression of love and affection that only developed fairly recently.

March 28, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  27. Neo

There is only one question needed to determine if this behavior is normal or Abbie normal. I am unfortunately the poor soul that must ask it. "Does the Bear s-t in the woods?" Inquiring minds want to know. Back to morning coffee.

March 28, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Rolph

Bird style feeding = bird style brain

March 28, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. Patty

I really like her son's name. Bear. That is pretty awesome.

March 28, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  30. Professional

I am throughly disturbed by this video as Alicia Silverstone is pre-disposing her son to have dental problems later in life. Periodontal disease and increased cavities may be in his future. Studies have shown that mother-to-child transfer of oral bacteria is a risk factor for the child later in life to have dental problems. The bacterial composition of a young child is almost always similar to the mother's who first introduces the child to oral bacteria. The immune system of an adult is well prepared and adjusted to your oral bacteria, both good and bad. Your baby's immune system is not.

March 28, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  31. So What!

That's how I was introduced to solid food. Big freakin' deal!

March 28, 2012 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  32. Chopper

Reading these comments is like passing a car accident. You don't want to look but you can't help yourself. The breadth and depth of the ignorance in here is painful. (I'm thankful that there are at least a few of you who still have the sense God gave you.) Yes, what she's doing seems a bit odd. No, I don't imagine I'd ever do that. Is it dangerous or abusive? No. The folks worrying about germs need to get a grip. Those of you worried that he won't learn how to eat correctly or he'll still be fed this way years from now, pull your heads out of your backsides. If a baby is breastfed, nobody panics and says "He'll have to be breastfed for life now!" And that someone said child protective services should be called, ou obviously have no idea where to draw the line when making claims of abuse. Shame on you.

March 28, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  33. tim

First off , the child looks old enough to be eating solid food on his own.
    Another whacko has been looking for some publicity.
    What is she going to breastfeed him till he's 9?
    Geesh don't give her a copy of meerkat manor or orangatan island! God knows what shed get in her head!

March 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. TommyBoy

Boy, did she get big.

March 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Johnny

Bear Blu is gonna get his ass kicked on the playground

March 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Mammy

Straight people are so stupid.

March 27, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  37. leslee

Dear. God.

March 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Darryl

Is anyone really surprised by bizarre behavior by another of a seemingly endless string of Hollywood retards?

March 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  39. brian

how is she even a celebrity any more? and cnn couldnt find an actual story to write about? i think i'm gonna go have a good cry now

March 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  40. LMAO

Is she deep throating her son???????????????????????

ewwwwwwwwwwww

March 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Ariella

This technique is nothing new. I did this with my own son 13 years ago.

March 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  42. The Flamingo Kid

I LOVE Alicia! She is so beautiful. Who cares how she feeds her kid? At least she cares about him and spends quality time with him, unlike so many of these other Hollywood mothers who leave everything to the nannies.

March 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Denise

Does she realize that she could pass cavity causing mouth bacteria to her son?

March 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. jefflovesnicolelv

Wealthychat_CoM
    Every_quality_single_is_welcome_here!

Whether_or_not_you're_Millionaire_or_simply_interested_in_meeting_an_eligible_Millionaire_on_our_site

March 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. jefflovesnicolelv

Every_quality_single_is_welcome_here!

March 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  46. FFS

I wish she would feed like that.

March 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. anonymous

So sick of Hollyweirdos. That is just plain disgusting, on so many levels.. Seriously, who throws up in their offspring's mouth? Oh wait, yeah, a fricking bird! This chick is cucko for coco puffs..

March 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  48. christine

Okay, overlooking the fact that this is yucky, has everyone overlooked the fact that she named her poor child Bear Blu? Was she high?

March 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Olorinstaff

Did anyone tell her humans evolved opposable thumbs and birds didn't

March 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jason S

Maybe she can take his virginity away from him when he turns 12.

March 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jason S

This is child abuse and I'm going to report it.

March 27, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Sunny

How disgusting.

March 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  53. aertzc

This is worse than women who breastfeed their 10 year olds.

March 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tim Rigney

"Hi, I'm Doctor Silverstone, I'll be your brain surgeon."

Hey, a little bit of running like hell is good exercise for *everybody!* :)

March 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. gopdina

She is disgusting. When she refused to shake Elisabeth Hasselbeck's hand on The View, Silverston showed us the hypocrisy of the Left.

March 27, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Salvador

Defying millions of years of evolution isn't healthy. Veganism is artificial and unnatural, which ironically are the same things you probably badmouth.

March 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. MysteriaKiito

That poor kid is going to grow up to be one heck of a creepy adult. That name on top of this and heaven knows what else she does that's way out there. He doesn't have a chance.

March 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jeff

I see an SNL Skit here and I'm sorry but there just seems to be something a little off by this. At what age does this stop?

March 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Godfrey

Met her once. She's very sweet, chatty and nice, but a bit preachy about the whole veganism thing. It's annoying.

March 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Ginny

I'm sorry but that is just disgusting! I wonder if she has any idea how much bacteria is in a human mouth.

March 27, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  61. garym

in between face transplant photos and mouth to mouth feeding video – I am all puked out for the day.

March 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jabadoggie

If you don't think this method of object transmission is gross, I've got 5 words for you to google: Two Girls and a Cup

March 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Mrdifficult

Ka – ka – ka . . .. oh. . .

March 27, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Saul Teeload

I'd Slam Her Hams

March 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Sue Cherry

Wow people, you are ridiculous. Of course this isn't going to continue when he's 12, 16 or even 3-4. She's doing it now because he's too little to chew it up on his own. Babies are NOT supposed to be protected from every little germ that exists. They are SUPPOSED to get little colds and stuff when they are little and strengthen their immune system. People are, for the first time in history, dying younger than their ancestors partially because we feel the need to disinfect EVERYTHING instead of letting our bodies do what they are designed to do. Adding to that we treat everything with antibiotics, again not allowing our bodies to work properly.
    The baby is crawling. That means his hands are constantly going from the floor (where people walk after being outside possibly stepping in who knows what) to his mouth. Just because this doesn't look appetizing doesn't mean it isn't healthy. And as far as being vegan goes, there are a TON of foods that do not come from animals that contain protein. Nuts, dark green veggies, beans, lentils, asparagus, brussel sprouts, just to name a few. I am not vegan, nor vegetarian, but I've done the research and wish I could afford the fresh and healthy vegetables and foods needed to live without supporting the meat packers.

March 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • pacman357

Grandma doesn't have any teeth. Is it bad that I throw up in her mouth?

March 27, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lindalou

That's complete disgusting!! I don't care if other cultures do it, it's not done here. And what happens when you take him out publicly, does his food have to be prechewed also. She's going to be one of those moms doing his homework, following him to college, and butting into his life forever.

March 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  67. pediatrician

There is a compelling reason not to follow this practice, and that is increased risk of dental caries in developing teeth. There is a complex milieu of bacteria which live in an adult mouth, and would be better not introduced to a young one developing new teeth. Sharing toothbrushes or food with your baby increases their risk of early cavities. I say this respectfully, as obviously there is a mother here who loves and adores her child. Just wanted the info out there.

March 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  68. dns

That will look interesting in about 5 years in a restaurant.

March 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  69. jay

freak

March 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Automatic Negative Thoughts

To all of the critics: With all the children in the world, even in this country, who are abused, neglected and not loved, we should not put down this person who obviously loves her son. If you want to crIticize a person's parental decisions, look at the Family Services website for your State and see the children hoping to be adopted, many of whom were removed from their homes due to abuse/neglect. Then you can start speaking from your high horse.

March 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Automatic

We didn't write the article, CNN did. We are just commenting. Pick your battles!

March 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  71. KM

It's nasty and unnecessary. I would say that Alicia is the one that's primitive. This is about what I expect from someone who cannot pronounce her own name.

March 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Missy R

The bacteria that causes dental caries and periodontal disease is spread by saliva, which is why it is recommended we do NOT clean a child's pacifier by putting in our own mouth first. If prechewing the food is the only option to feed the child, then it's understandable. However, since dental caries is considered one of the most prevalent and preventable childhood diseases, why not avoid the transmission if possible?

March 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Salvador

Huh? What parent ever stuck a kid's pacifier in her own mouth to "clean" it?

March 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Why so many idiots on here. Most Republicans are no good for America. Just full of ignorance.

Ok Gross. Hope she doesn't ruin Mcdonalds for some people

March 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  74. rh

It's not unique. A lot of people do it, just not in the US. My grandmother used to feed her kids that way, do you think they had blenders and baby food in jars in the Depression (poor immigrants anyway)?

However, it's disgusting if you have another choice. I'd think anyone above poverty level, especially way above it as in this case, can spring for a hand blender to avoid giving their kid whatever sickness they have.

March 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  75. stvnkrs10

I'm Hungry!

March 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  76. pacman357

I've said it before and I'm going to keep saying it. I need a license to run a business, drive a car, own a car, etc., but the requirements for becoming a parent are painfully low. Until we start regulating human breeding, this sort of thing will continue to happen.

March 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  77. TJ

Poor kid.

March 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Denise

While I'm sure primitive cultures and others have done so, I think we know enough about how germs are passed to know this is not the safest form of feeding a human child.

March 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Art Vandolay

Crazy clueless biotches, like this, should not be allowed to have children.

March 27, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  80. aptliving24

That's going to be adorable when he's 12.

March 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sly Sadie

I understand that people did these things in the past. It is very understandable, but it's 2012! Buy a blender! I know she can afford one!

March 27, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. E

I love her, but I found this to be a bit gross. My understanding is that human mouths are full of bacteria. I honestly don't think this is healthy for a baby. I don't get it. It isn't necessary and it could pass germs. However, she is still my favorite vegan – love her, love her. And, she looks fabulous and healthy (whoever said she did not age well - you are nuts).

March 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. mmmmmyeaahhhh

Uhhh not really sure what to say here other than I hope she doesnt carry on this tradition into the kids teens. That would be an awkward dinner to have friends over for huh?

March 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  84. aj

I always knew she was a lPETA whack job, but this is just too far.

March 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Willie

Imagine this kid at 16, on his first date, and trying to pass food mouth to mouth with his date.

March 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Mel

I hope this woman got tested for Herpes Virus 1 and 2 before chewing up food in her mouth and her spit and giving it to her son. If she has ever had a canker sore in her mouth she likely has the herpes virus and now her son has them. I guess she wasn't really playing a dumb rich kid role in "Clueless" after all because she is normally CLUELESS and extremely judgmental and extremely prejudice and extremely snobby just like her "role". I pity her little boy, her has a very ignorant mother.

March 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Arcsin

I just think it's funny that people are so concerned about the pre-chewing which is a total non-issue and not about an infant on a vegan diet. Young children have way higher protein requirements than adults.

March 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  88. jennaboon

People who think vegan is the "healthiest" way to go have to be the most ignorant people on the planet. Must be why she's gained so much weight, lack of protein! (the most common reason why women struggle with weight loss).

March 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Dave

Good Lord. There are simple devices that will grind cooked food for Baby's consumption. I used it for my son in 1983. He's now 28, 6'4" , and healthy as can possibly be. Mouth to mouth feeding to a child isn't just disgusting. it's horribly unhealthy.

March 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Sarcasmo

If oral microbiology is a concern of yours, simply dunk the food in vodka before passing it to the child.

March 27, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  91. trollol

Chewing the food up for the kid is normal. Passing the food from mouth to mouth would be a good idea in unsanitary conditions where clean hands and utensils are not available. This is just her being silly but hey, if it works for her, whatever!

March 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Sunnysout

sometimes I think we need to just leave celebrities alone with their stupid baby names and gross ways of feeding their young. If the kid doesn't have teeth, he shouldn't be eating something that another person has to chew for them. Use a blender. I swear, sometimes it's just about being different that they seek. This is straight up gross and I have NEVER heard of such a thing. It would absolutely make me want to puke to chew my food then swap it to my child.

March 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Shannon

Wonder if she knows that if she's cavity prone she will pass on the bacteria that makes her so and her son will be cavity prone as well.

March 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  94. FREDDIE FINDSYOU

A Message from Anonymous to Port Aransas Police Department. SEARCH THIS ON YOUTUBE

March 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Vin G

There was a great Sat Night Live episode with Juliette Margulies, where Will Ferrell was chewing food and dropping in Chris Parnells mouth. Hysterical..

March 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  96. mike

Chewing food for infants was how humans have done it for hundreds of thousands of years. But most people are stupid and seem to forget we haven't always had baby food...So she its actually not a new and weird way to feed a child. As for the bacteria part its probably actually a good way to build the child's immune system up.

March 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr mister

Agreed. Well said.

March 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Mike is on point here. Medical advances and knowledge of virus/bacteria transfers doesn't deter this way of baby feeding. It supports it in that it's shown to be not harmful to the child. You can't expect ignorant and uneducated people to understand or think before they start replying here with dumb comments. Anyhow, this form of baby feeding isn't new and it's much easier for babies to digest as well. Many people (not babies) have stomachaches and digestion problems because they don't actually chew their foods enough. I was actually fed like this in combination with letting me chew my own foods. It's actually really funny because when I wanted to eat peanuts, I'd bring a handful to my mom for her to chew on. Poor mom. She said I was quite impatient when I was hungry :)

March 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terri

It's not 1865, so there's no need to feed a child this way.

March 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  97. C. STONE

THAT. IS. VULGAR.

March 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Debbie

I'm all for innovation, but it seems a little off. When our children were about 13 months old, we'd take whatever we were having for dinner (pot roast w/vegetables, for example) and roughly pureed it with a small amount of water. My children were benefitting from nourishing meals and also getting used to not having baby food. Since the first part of digestion actually begins in the mouth, Bear is not getting the full benefit of the nutrition she's trying to give him. Got to give her points for trying, but it's kind of self-defeating since she is actually removing much of the good stuff (vitamins and minerals) with her chewing it first.

March 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr mister

no, she's not. it is the first stage of digestion, yes, but not where "the vitamins get sucked out". It actually helps him digest the nutrients easier.

March 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  99. RJC

That kids gonna need a lot of therapy when he hits puberty

March 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

RJC: maybe, but not because of this. The kid probably sees this as a kind of kiss + food idea - both are good things, so I don't see how it will cause emotional scars. Maybe the kid will grow up getting hungry during intimacy - like George on an episode of Seinfeld - but otherwise I think they'll be okay.

Bottom line: loving parents + a few unusual ideas = reasonably well adjusted kids.

March 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  100. um

isnt this called snowballing?

March 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  101. JD

She's so damn annoying and she couldn't act out of a paper bag.

March 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Torrie

As long as she's healthy (does not have Herpes virus spp., HIV, etc... dental caries, or another type of contagious disease) it shouldn't be a problem, right? It's too bad that people feel that they have a right, even a responsibility, to discuss how parents choose to raise their children. This is a matter for discussion between a mother, a father (or parents) -and perhaps- their pediatrician. We should be encouraging to families, not criticizing their parenting choices. After all, isn't raising children one of the most important, most difficult, and rewarding jobs in existence?

March 27, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason B.

Yeah, except that this kid's being messed up for life. This is how he expects food now. What about as he grows older? Is he going to expect his teacher to throw up for him too?

March 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Todd E.

"It's too bad that people feel that they have a right, even a responsibility, to discuss how parents choose to raise their children."

So, by your logic, It would be okay for her to dress the kid up in a white sheet and hood and take him to cross burnings! We should just mind our own business? Hardly.

March 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

So you are 100% supportive of all parents who decide to raise their children in the way they feel is best for the kids?
      You then support all cultures who raise kids to believe women are inferior and should be forced to wear veils, not drive, not get an education, and the like?
      You are supportive of cultures that allow their children to work in sweat shops at young ages to help support the family?
      You see where I'm going with this. Sure she is not endangering her child by feeding him this way (unless she has some communicable disease) but your comment justifies her actions by simply saying it is her choice to do what she wants as it is her child.

If we believed that 100% of the time

March 27, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Torrie: America is a land of busybodies. The only thing we like more than judging other people negatively is... well, nothing!

I see no possible reason to watch her video - it's kind of gross. But I see nothing wrong with it, even if we didn't do it for our daughter. It might be healthy, or maybe just neutral. I say, let her raise her kid! If she continues to do this when he is ten, THEN we can comment on it...

March 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Tori

All you people are honestly stupid. How is this a big deal? Uh if the child wants some food and has no teeth how is the child expected to eat it..by gumming it then chokin? I do the same to my son who is 10months old if he see's me eating and wants some of my food i chew it to make the pieces smaller and let him have some. How is this even news? Shouldn't there be something more important on here. Take a not..alot of people here in Texas do the same. It's a way to teach your child of different flavors but at the same time making pieces smaller so they won't choke. You people of course make it seem like shes "mad" or some type of freak HA! In my opionon you all are the freaks for making this suck a big deal.

March 27, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Rennes11

There is a SNL skit where food is chewed by parents for their adult son. Then the guest star, who is suppose to be dating the adult son chews up food to feed to another adult son.

In other words this sound just like an SNL skit.

March 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Complex

What is the first step of digestion? Saliva, so she's actually helping. A lot of the natives in Alaska do this.

March 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Elaine Connelly

Alicia Silverstone is absolutely BARKING MAD! How on earth does she expect her kid to learn how to eat properly, or is she going to keep doing this ad infinitum? What a nut case!

March 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve_PA

You are right – she is mad, mad is say. And I know this because she does things differently than I would. Come to think of it, I suspect you also do things differently than I would. You are mad, mad I say.

March 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  107. رهملالتيل يدلب

My mother use to fed me like this. What is wrong with it?

I am not surprised you people do not see what is truly wrong here; that she goes about unveiled. She might as well be naked as brothel worker. O the sham.

March 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimbo hilljack

Keep your islamo-tips to yourself. This is a gossip rag not morality village. I'd rather see her buckassnekid than veiled up.

March 27, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MeIAm

Mr. Abab-speaking guy...

Why don't you wear a veil? Seriously? Yeah, men's appearances NEVER cause women to lust. I guess you excuse is that you so ugly?

March 27, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Read More!

Go back to your 3rd world – Star Wars-esque hole of a country. Liberated women frighten you- don't they? When's the last time YOU had a date? Answer – never. HHAAAA!!

March 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gman

Wow you guys are unbelievable! So ignorant. Everyone is allowed to speak their mind on a chat board. Get your heads out yous a**s. it's 2012 get some tolarence.

March 28, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  108. Crys

No way am I watching that video. Even reading about it makes me want to vomit. In fact, thinking about this might be a great diet program for people.

March 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Emma

That's not healthy. People's mouths are full of bacteria which she's now transfering to her son. It's not hard to cut food into baby sized pieces.

March 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

From a standpoint of bacteria, it's not an issue unless she is ill. The natural flora in the mouth is not a worry. Please people – I know it's a free country, but ignorant comments dont help our image as an educated society.

March 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Emma: there is some evidence that passing (healthy) bacteria from mother to child is an important part of the development of the immune system. Most of the time it happens less deliberately, but it happens one way or another.

March 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • It's True

Emma's right. Our mouths ARE full of bacteria that you would not want to introduce to a little one's mouth (it's not like they can use a toothbrush and toothpaste at that age)! Just because primitive cultures did it, does not mean it's the best approach these days. We've learned a lot about the transfer of bacteria and viruses since those times.

March 27, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Emma, you must really be stupid. Have you never made out with your boyfriend? Girlfriend? Never been kissed eh? You probably scream "Eww! Bacteria in the saliva and mouth!" How ignorant!

March 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • MW

@It's Right, @Emma
      Sorry, guys. The bacteria found normally in your mouth are very health and supposed to be there. What's more, any baby who can move around and put his hand in his mouth puts far worse bacteria in their than those found in his mom's oral cavity. Also, people have lived for millennia without toothbrushes. The reason we get tooth decay now is because we eat so much more processed sugar than we did historically. The bacteria in our mouth (again – NORMAL flora) feed off the sugar and produce enzymes that can lead to tooth decay. We do not brush our teeth to get rid of all of these bacteria – if we did, we would constantly have oral yeast infections.
      And whoever said it before was correct – the best theory as to where kissing originated anthropologically is from doing this exact practice.
      It may sound kind of weird, but if you really sit and think about it, so does breastfeeding. It doesn't mean it's not a perfectly fine or even wonderful thing to do for your child.

March 27, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bryan R

Lets not forget that the first bacteria a child comes in contact with is what they swallow during birth in the birth canal. This bacteria goes on to populate the childs lower intestines and allows digestion of food Not all bacteria are bad people. put down the alcohol gel and let the child get dirty. I have more of a problem with her feeding the child a vegan diet and all that processed soy crap. Masticate a grass fed steak and feed that child right!

March 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jimmy

I likes me some pink slime! It makes hamburgers more hamburgerry.

March 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Teddi

This is nothing new, although rarely done these days. Primitive cultures in Australia, the Amazon, Africa and Asia have done and may still do this. If the thought of this reviles you, do some reading folks. As an aside, not everyone trusts commercially prepared baby food, that's why many use food processors and blenders. In today's society, this is not the worse thing that a parent could do to a child. Remember the Casey Anthony case?

March 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heather

"Primitive cultures" such as? I'd like some examples that are more specific than "Australia, the Amazon, Asia, and Africa."

March 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • PigSooie

@heather...pretty sure Australia and Africa are pretty specific. Had he said 'places around the world' then yeah, maybe. Fail.

March 27, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

This is also typical in South Jersey

March 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gman

Lol bob!

March 28, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  112. Noel R Bearheart

She took a cue from birds? I will not ask the question, I will simply state...she's NUTS! Where is that taught? What country's people does that? Is this her own idea? She took her one big movie role to heart (NO, NOT Batman and Robin)_ Clueless!

March 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr mister

premasticating food was how our ancestors fed babies (before blenders). It's actually more natural than modern times and some anthropologists think this is how the human kiss came to be.

March 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

Plenty of countries... some cultures across Asia but not all.

March 27, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Odds

It's unlikely that this form of feeding could cause any harm to the child, and quite likely that it will make the food easier to digest. It may seem unusual in our modern world, but there was a time before foods came pre-packaged and ready for a baby to eat. How do you suppose mothers fed their children during those times? Or did you imagine they went straight from breast-feeding to eating the same foods as adults?

March 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • RebelYell

Ok, and in 1900 we used to use horses to go to the store and bleed people to try to cure an illness. Because this may have been a way to find a child (or a bird), certainly does NOT make it acceptable in 2012. This is gross and there could be sicknesses transferred from her to child. Child Protective Servives in her state, should look into this questionable practice she is performing on the child.

March 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

They still do this in rural southeast Asia, so it's not totally unheard of.

March 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Dave™

Woo. She didn't age well. My dad says she was cute when he was young. Back in the 80s.

March 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • time

Look at pics or video of your Dad from the 80's. We all age and lose that youthful gleam , some more gracefully than others and I don't consider Alicia old and ugly. Cute kid too.

March 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

The 80's? Try the 90's, she was only born at the end of 1976 – even at the end of the 80's she would have only been 12 going on 13

March 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoboFlex

I think we may need to call the cops on your dad, since Alicia was only 12 or 13 years old in 1989. Nice to know that he was checking out a girl who was between 3 and 13 in the 80's. Very sick......

March 27, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Your Dad is a perv and should be jailed – this girl was 9 years old in 1985.

March 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave™

80s, 90s. I'm not sure. Back in the olden days anyhow. When there were dinosaurs and stuff.

March 28, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  114. cnnlicksit

Dang. She got ugly. Too many knish's?

March 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

how can you tell? The video isn't that good and the picture at the top of the story shows her looking pretty good.
      What little you can tell from the video appears to show her dressed way down and comfortable in her own home.
      Did you actually think Hollywood actresses all look as fantastic in their homes as they do in movies.
      Dream on. Amazing what a few pounds of war paint and hair color can do.

March 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • fauxhawk70

She always had a hair lip even in the 80's and she's gross!

The only reason anybody ever watched her in the Aero Smith videos was because they were hoping to see Liv Tyler instead!

March 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Oh stop it. You know you'd pump that chemical toilet in a heartbeat.

March 27, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nah

Nah, too much retard*tion, I'm afraid.

This is what happens when you become a moron, name your kid "Bear Blu" and then feed it by puking in its mouth.

March 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • She isn't ugly at all

Too bad you are though basement dweller.

March 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sullibury

I didn't realize they established Ugly Experts now.

March 28, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |