March 23rd, 2012

Avoiding 'Hunger Games' hysteria? May the odds be ever in your favor

You may not be aware, but a little independent film called "Hunger Games" was released today.

We kid, because seriously how could you not know that the movie, which some say might eclipse the 'Twilight' frenzy, has arrived? Tons of tweets, articles and anticipation by fans proceeded the release of the tale of Katniss Everdeen's fight for survival during the televised fight-to-the-death known as the Hunger Games.

Based on the young adult book series by Suzanne Collins, the film was selling tickets like crazy before the first midnight screenings early on Friday morning. Book sales increased both online and at brick-and-mortar establishments, like the Soho Scholastic store which, according to the New York Daily News, was enjoying a frenzy of fans picking up the novels (published by Scholastic.)

We here at CNN have been guilty of getting in on the action also. We've covered everything from screenwriter and director Gary Ross' efforts to bring the first novel to the screen to how the film is influencing fashion and even how it's changing the stereotype of hunters.

And in case you missed it (but how could you?) we talked to some of the film's co-stars.

So we just have to ask: Have you seen "Hunger Games" or do you plan on seeing it? Do you even want to see it or are you over it? Sound off!

1. backlink genie

Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity for your submit is simply excellent and i can assume you're a professional in this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to keep up to date with imminent post. Thanks one million and please continue the gratifying work.

April 13, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ben Sykes

If it's as bad as Twilight, no thanks. KIds are not great judges of quality in films.

March 26, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. Todd E.

I am absolutely avoiding 'The Hunger Games' in every way, shape, and form. For those of you who only see movies and never actually read anything, you would know that this premise is more "The Long Walk" than "The Running Man," (if it has to be a Stephen King story). I also fail to see how teenagers killing each other is appropriate material for the tweens and teens that are the target audience of these stories. For all the things this story tries to be, there are better books and stories to read.

March 26, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Josie

Those that just think this is a movie based on kids killing kids have obviously NOT read the book. The main characters are not FOR the games at all...in fact they think it is very wrong to have to be FORCED into to these games yearly by their own government. Really, the books are more graphic, but for a PG-13 rating the movies did keep true to the highlights of the books. I would hope it makes one cring to think about kids killing kids for entertainment, I would hope that people stop and wonder what they consider the ultimate "entertainment" and I would really hope that they understand this is a future setting of America and what can possibly happen after a complete colapse of our government. The books are written for young adults, yes, but I think many adults (me included) should read and wonder what would actually happen...considering at the moment we as the adults have the power to change the government through our own votes.

March 26, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tracey

I'm 45 and took 4 teenaged girls to see it. Clearly I am NOT the target audience LOL as I kept waiting for Richard Dawson to show up to start the Running Man game such a rip off! But everything old is new again, and the kids liked it that's all that matters. I haven't read the books so I'm not a slave to the movie, as in I'd love it whether it was good or bad. I love movies, of all types, but this just didn't appeal to me. I found the acting on the broad side (Elizabeth Banks, really?) and the story boring and predictable. I say wait for the DVD unless you're a devoted zombie to the genre.

March 26, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Daniel

Finally a teen serial flick which is actually good. Unlike the crappy Twilight and overhyped Harry Potter saga, this one actually has quality in acting, plot, directing, visuals and most everything else. I would put above Avatar purely for the storyline. At first you think that it would be far fetched , cos why would people allow kids to kill each other, etc, etc, and then you see the intricate motivational triggers built into everyone. Also it is not sappy, cliched or candy coated.

Running Man was actually more simplistic , while Battle Royale rather hard to buy.

I'm 45, male and I was shanghaied into taking my teen daughter to see it (in fact I was wondering what the film was about before going in) and we both ended up loving it. My only complaint is that it was actually too short.

March 26, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Happy Hunger Games

This movie is the greatest movie right behind The Dark Knight. Jennifer Lawrence played Catniss Everdeen to the tee. This movie is absolutely one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen... Jennifer lawrence is the new IT GIRL in Hollywood..

March 26, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Elyse

The books and movie are AWESOME! When people say they're boring, I wonder which parts they're talking about... when families are being torn apart or teens are fighting to the death? That's not my definition of boring. And there's no comparison to Twilight. This is the best series. EVER.

March 26, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. SixDegrees

A major rejoinder running through these comments is "You didn't read the book, or you'd understand!" I haven't read the books or seen the movie, but frankly: if the movie can't stand on its own and can't be understood without first reading the book, that's pretty much the definition of a bad movie. If moviegoers aren't understanding the film's themes, then the film is a fail. I didn't have to plow through the LOTR trilogy, or "Gone With The Wind" or "Master and Commander" to understand and enjoy those movies. Either your rejoinders are lazy and you can't answer the objections to the film being posted, or the film is not that good.

March 26, 2012 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. cleuq

The books were way better-written than Twilight and had much better subject matter. It definitely deserved to make as much at the box office as it did; I saw it yesterday and it was very good (minus some of the shaky cam moments). Unfortunately many teens don't know the difference whether a book is well-written or not, or a film is worth seeing and not just a lame attempt at a cash grab, but at least this one was deserving of the reception it happened to get.

March 26, 2012 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Don Jones

I don't know what the critiques see in this movie. The acting in Hunger Games was solid and the higher concepts intriguing, making it watchable. For me the trouble is that too many of the plot elements are contrived. Painfully contrived. And as far as the higher concepts go, they have been done before, by better authors and movie makers. I give hunger games a C+, or a 3 out of 5.

March 26, 2012 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bryce

The one group the author is parodying is the same group going to see the movie, they just don't realize their part.

March 25, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bryce

Why is it called the "Hunger Games"?

It should be called the killing games.

March 25, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Killer

How Ironic. Recently there was a big controversy over a "Bully" movie. Kids abusing other kids. Now we have gone to kids killing other kids. Next kids killing parents. Wait.....they already do that.

March 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. adamcampb

The above comment was meant for Silver, BTW.

March 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. adamcampb

While I sort of generally agree with your assessment of American media culture.... your half-baked comments do you (and those who might agree with aspects of your argument) a disservice. You clearly speak from a position of willful ignorance. How do you feel about Lord of the Flies, or Orwell's 1984? Or Shakespeare, for that matter? Are you suggesting that works that have something to say about violence should do so without actually portraying violence? Are you suggesting that because a film can have no value beyond mere exploitation simply because it is popular? Sorry, I haven't seen it yet, but I did just start reading the book today. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

March 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dickinson

of course–saw it and it is fantastic. the action, story plot, costumes and makeup–this is one really awesome movie-yeah for Michelle D'Antonio and intern designer-in the audience first row at beginning of hunger games–beautiful blonde and she made into the credits too...fantastic....she designed some of the hats and belts and now is designing for Tom Cruise next movie too...cannot wait for the sequels of Hunger Games, getting the book and will be buying the sequal tickets-cannot say enough–awesome awesome awesome

March 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. goneballistic

Bread & Circuses. Empty entertainment for the empty masses.

March 25, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. david

Heard "too much shaky cam". I'll wait for disk rental.

March 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • daniel

David , re the shaky cam. This happens mostly on purpose during the more gruesome killing scenes. I think this is so they can maintain a Tenn friendly rating. Actually I think it makes the film more classy and your imagination ends up filling in the blanks in a much more cringeworthy fashion. I would recommend anyone to watch this, except maybe the twilight fans...

March 26, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lee

I am concerned that young people will go see this movie, not to appreciate and explore its so-called moral message but because they get off on violence the way they love bloody, gory video games. I am worried that it will add to the growing tolerance for brutality in our country. I believe this is happening to adults as well. I was shocked and sad to see that I myself was not as affected by the recent shootings at the Ohio high school as I was with the Columbine killings.

March 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. NPK

"Tons of tweets, articles and anticipation by fans" preceded...- not proceeded.

March 25, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. GRS62

Funny...I haven't met anyone who's fallen victim to this HGH (Hunger Games Hysteria). Looks like media hype, which translates into free publicity for the movie.

March 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. aj

I couldn't stand that camera action, gave me a headache and I was checking it out before I let my young teens go see it. Not happening, not spending money on it and I certainly don't like the idea of teens being forced to kill each other so adults can gamble on who will be alive at the end. Not letting this pollute the minds of my children. Enough with the killing of kids. Think about real life and the young boy killed in Florida. Now why would I let my teens see the slaughter of children by children on the big screen. Maybe this should have had a NC17 rating, even then I can't condone this type of movie. And yes I read the books and let them read the books..that was bad enough. Nothing against the actors, they did ok for such an offensive theme.

March 25, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  24. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWCGocD56Q&w=640&h=390]

March 25, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  25. Greg

Doesn't look interesting at all. I'd rather just re-watch The Running Man and Battle Royale.

March 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Liz

We just saw the movie. What a waste of time and money. poor plot, great desensitization of murder for kids If you like children murdering each other then its the movie for you. Need I say more...

March 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  27. flashtrum

For the love of Pete those words (Hunger Games) are seared into my brain. Can't view a website that doesn't mention it. Local morning TV programs doing stories, it's on the bottom of the scroll of fox and cnn at my gym, on the radio, etc. And yet all I know about it is that it's set in the future, kids kill and it was a book trilogy. At least with Potter, I was aware of the books far ahead of the movies. Not so with this story – which makes me think it might die an early death due to overexposure.

March 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Silver

Sandra, IMO, the author and Hollywood simply picked the easiest route to make money, by exploiting the culture of background violence that is in your slangs, your every day language, your violent video games, comic book characters and visual entertainment culture. Don't be mistaken, I am not a pacifist at all. I simply understand and detest the corrosive effects of all this gratuitous background violence. As for the morale theme you referred to, truly creative and talented authors and movie producers can communicate the same morale themes without the use of violent and poisonous imagery. You also miss my point – they want you to buy these books so they can make money. I have expressed my point. I have no interest spending money on anything I find offensive.

March 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • adamcampb

@SILVER
      While I sort of generally agree with your assessment of American media culture.... your half-baked comments do you (and those who might agree with aspects of your argument) a disservice. You clearly speak from a position of willful ignorance. How do you feel about Lord of the Flies, or Orwell's 1984? Or Shakespeare, for that matter? Are you suggesting that works that have something to say about violence should do so without actually portraying violence? Are you suggesting that a film can have no value beyond mere exploitation simply because it is popular? Sorry, I haven't seen it yet, but I did just start reading the book today. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

March 25, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sandra

Silver, have you read the books? The violence in the story was a necessary evil. The games are a punishment placed upon the districts as a result of a rebellion and are used to control the population – reminding them of who has control. Additionally, the sensationalism of the games is a slap at our society's obsession with reality TV and desire to see suffering. You should probably read the books before forming opinions.

March 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sandra

Just saw the movie. Have read the books. Loved both! Just want to comment on all of the people who think the series is just about kids killing kids. Thats not what people are cheering for. People are cheering for the heroine who is forced into a game by an oppressive gov't. The story is about fighting back against a system that treats its citizens as pawns – or pieces in a game. It happens to be a little deeper than just "kids killing kids" I suggest you check the books out – they are surprisingly empowering.

March 24, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Silver

Sandra, if the author and Hollywood were just putting out a story about a "heroine who is forced into a game by an oppressive gov't." they could do it in much more thoughtful ways in a contemporary setting like a story about life in a country with a regime like N. Korea's maybe? But I suspect it wouldn't be violent or sensational enough for the US audience. BTW, looks like they got you to spend money on their book and movie – which is all they are interested in, your $$$. Get it??

March 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Silver

Why do Americans like violent entertainment so much? This is about children killing other children, regardless of why they are doing that. Our subconscious minds cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality. When people watch this senseless drivel, their subconscious take stock of the experience. Whatever we learn, we develop a capacity to enact in real life. Why do think you have so much violence in America. You are poisoning yourselves.

March 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Higglets

This move had more cliches that you can count. Gotta remember that the books were written for young people. Jennifer Lawrence, as always, was great!

March 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  33. cinemareviewsandcommentary

This my review.

March 24, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mycenia

I'm 30 and enjoyed the books a great deal (except the last, which was a disappointment). And don't confuse me with one of those thirty-something-omgiheartvampiressomuch people. THG is a rather disturbing look at what happens when people become sheep...

March 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Canada

I liked this movie when it was called The Running Man.

March 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Higglets

It felt like I was watching a video game – the Legend of Zelda. Of course, I was totally reminded of the Running Man, too.

March 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Itsamemario

If this movie were more like Battle Royale mixed with Running Man I'd be all for seeing it. Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress though..

March 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. maw0255

The agency that Jennifer Lawrence's acting and the script give to the character Katniss is bloody amazing. I saw it at midnight and then again yesterday afternoon with my children. This is not a movie about our society's addiction to reality tv or human brutality seen through teen violence, but about the privileged few controlling the masses with the treat of violence and the manipulation of hope (e.g. the scene in the garden with the President trimming a rose discussing hope). This is a story about the reluctant hero fighting back against tyranny and I love that that hero is a young woman. Everyone, young and old, should see this movie. III (this is my three finger salute)

March 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. RobCord

All I know is Jennifer Lawrence is awsome.

March 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Danielle

I saw the Hunger Games last night and It is indescribable of how good it was...trying to explain how amazing it was is impossible...you just have to see it to believe it....HAPPY HUNGER GAMES AND MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR!!!!!!
    <33333 my new fav. Movie!!!!!!!!!!!

March 24, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  40. My Two Cents

Credible acting, good writing, that close up cinematography that magnifies the personalization and identification with the characters, and a plot that doesn't require special effects to hold the viewer's interest. I class this as a good movie that blends a lot of artistic talent that is often wanting in "action" films.

March 24, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  41. killallthewhiteman

To avoid the hysteria stay off the CNN website. They have 5 articles on the front page that are on the topic of "The Hunger Games".

March 24, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Yash

Posted on I thought these were cute, too. Maybe a lnniig would have been good so the sun wouldn't shine through so starkly if that had been bothering you.But, I shouldn't talk.I stenciled my bathroom once, a border up near the ceiling. Was tedious. I think it lasted maybe a week before my husband painted it over. Was horrible and primitive looking.

August 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. erich2112x

I take back all the stuff I said about this film yesterday. I saw it last night and it was spectacular. I drop a c-note on movie night when the whole family goes so our expectations are usually pretty high and this was well worth it.

March 24, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • nona

Yes by all means start now. First of all the housing makret stinks and there are a lot of people looking for rental. Take the extra time you have to do the basic credit checks and background checks of those interested in renting from you also make sure they are willing to carry their own insurance policy to protect your home (the rental) If they combine coverage with renters insurance they can get the policy cheaper. Don't settle on the first person who meets your requirements take you time and do some checking it will save you BIG headaches later. Good Luck.

April 24, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  43. YuliqMahbaht

Could I please have my time and money back???

March 24, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Sloke

Excellent goods from you, man. I have take into account your stuff prior to and you are slimpy too magnificent. I actually like what you've received here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which by which you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you. That is actually a great web site.

April 24, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  44. Reader

I avoided these books because I thought they were about kids killing kids. Saw the movie last night with my 14 year old grandson, who read all three, and I am looking forward to the books! No magic, no vampires, just an exploration of the human experience – power and control freaks, and a spirit of rebellion, and a young girl's awareness that those in charge might not know everything. That's a lesson I'm happy for the next generation to learn.

March 24, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Christine

I completely agree with you. I was quite hesitant about this movies because I had heard that The Hunger Games books had been geared towards the same demographic as the Twilight series...but the movie was incredibly done. The cast was well chosen and the acting was incomparable to Twilight and Harry Potter. (This is a huge statement from me. I absolutely adored the Harry Potter series...books and movies.) This movie definitely got me excited about reading the books. And as you stated, the deeper themes and insights that infuse the plot of this trilogy is something that we could all appreciate and learn from. Be open-minded and give this movie a chance.

March 24, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  45. somebody

Is this Twilight sequel or the american Battle Royale?

March 24, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  46. 50-somethings

My husband and I devoured these books.. we hike, travel, scuba dive, and he is a bow-hunter (which is how I got him to start reading the series, lol). We saw the movie today (with our HG t-shirts on) – Gary Ross did a fantastic job translating it to the big screen, awesome movie! And not just for 14 yr olds..

March 24, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  47. yari

saw it at midnight and i have to say i was so happy with the final product. book to movie adaptations are iffy so to see one that succeeds like hunger games has is beautiful. as for being compared with twilight mania or whatever, i think hunger games, having been out for only 24 hours, has just shown how much bigger its got the potential to be than twilight.

NOTE TO FILMMAKERS: DON'T SCREW IT UP!!

March 24, 2012 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  48. 30-something

Everyone in my house has read the series...mom, dad, and 2 pre-teens.... we are absolutely going to see the movie this weekend. Great books!

March 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Steve-O

Yesterday I bought the book and the soundtrack without even seeing the movie yet. I guess that makes me hysterical.

March 23, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  50. 36 year old mom

I'm a 36-year-old mom, who read the series, and I have every intention of seeing all three movies. It was far better writing and plot than Twilight series. I hope the movie is as good as the book...

March 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. c

I find it very sad that we are getting so amped up over a movie about kids killing kids. Does anyone else see how demented that is? It turns my stomach that teens are all over this film.

March 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ell Deau

@C I'm going to assume you didn't read the books. Had you read them you would know that "kids killing kids" is in fact NOT what the books are about. It's an event that happens in the books, but absolutely NOT what they're about. I assume you were mislead by some other articles or comments written by equally ill informed individuals. We forgive you.

March 24, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
    • donna f

Have you seen the movie, or better still, have you read the books? These kids are not killing each other for sport, but for survival! They are forced into the games (like gladiators), but it also shows the strength, courage, and love that develops between some of the characters. (btw, I am a 40 something parent and educator, not a teenager)

March 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mastodonrocks

Oh there is soo much irony in the hype over this movie. We hate to see kids kill other kids in life, its just sooooo horrible!!! Why wont parents do more to teach their kids???? Oh snap! Almost forgot to go get tickets for my kids so they can go watch kids murdering other ki.................wait a minute.

March 25, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • John

I agree with C. It's understandable to see some of the demented comments on here. I love the few that I've read that say if your focusing on kids killing kids that just a small part of the movie or kids killing kids wasn't for sport it was for survival... ohhhh ok well that makes such a huge difference !!! So much better to watch kids killing other kids for survival than sport. Thank you for clarifying or being that kids killling kids was just a minor point in the movie, it made it soo much easier to watch. Now I feel better after seeing the 17 year old kid breaking the 14 year old kids neck last night. This movie is an example of the downfall of our society. We wonder why there's violence in our schools. I walked out of this movie after the 10th kid was killed, I thought that about enough of watching innocent children being slaughtered like animals. Not my idea of of fun Saturday night. i know I'm in the minority which says alot for how far in the gutter society and the media have fallen.

March 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Leah

Not my type of thing, but glad people have something to get excited about! Its always rejuvenating to have something that so many people can share a love for.

March 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Share a love...for teenagers killing other teenagers. Yea, "rejuvenating".

March 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Shaq

Just saw it. Lives up to t he hype. Haters, please go away. Great movie.

March 23, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  54. intenselyme

I saw it last night at a midnight showing. I'm twenty-four for the record. I absolutely loved it. It was amazing. The action was intense and the acting was superb. :)

March 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mom

You had absolutely no business staying out so late. Now I know you are 24 and think you are all grown up, but nothing good happens after 9 o'clock. You know me and your father have discussed this with you on many occasions. I'm not trying to be bossy, but just want you to be responsible. Now you know both your dad and I love you very much and we worry about you. When you have kids of your own you will understand. I'm glad we had this talk. Now be careful and call us if you need anything.

March 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Shaina

Jomm: The movie just came out today so obviously you are lying. Nice try though...

March 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jomm

I went and saw this movie last weekend. It is probably one of the dumbest and silliest movies I have ever seen. The 14 and under girls will like it, but that's about all. It was a total snooze fest.

March 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • rich johns

Jomm, you must be a very important Hollywood Producer.

March 23, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality

Really jomm, take a look at the variety in the age groups that like it, not just 14 yr olds. You might not have liked it, and you dont have to but a snooze fest????? Please don't be soooo cool it really makes you sound pathetic.

March 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • girl

it's weird that you saw it last weekend, when it wasn't even out yet.

March 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Trollol

This movie is garbage...just another harry potter and twilight copier. whoever sees this movie is so stupid and lame. Learn to make original ideas hollywood! stop copying everything off stupid books that dont even sell that great. Please remake Child's play already!

March 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • ryan d

lol hunger games is not remotely like twilight which is not remotely like harry potter. I'd love to see the person who could explain how any of those are rip-offs of each other

March 24, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jade

How is remaking a terrible 80's film original?

And have you even read the books? True, they are based off the teen genre but the darkness this book had was far worse than anything I got from Harry Potter and Twilight is just... well frankly I am not a fan. Read the book and then talk to us about how it was similar to to the references above.

March 25, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
  58. cnnlicksit

Whats to avoid? uUless you're lame or 12 years old.

March 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • 31yroldPhD

Loved it, went at midnight. Acting was excellent and story was also nice. What's the saying? Hater's going to hate!

March 24, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • PETA

Saw it last night. Think of "Survivor" meets "Running Man". Too long, too slow especially the 1st hour. Can't believe Liz Banks accepted her role. Suggest: wait for the DVD. Movie doesn't make any sense. Go see "A Separation" instead.

March 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Richard Fore

I wonder if anyone in this movie ever licks there balls. I learned how by taking a yoga class at the local YMCA.

March 23, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • June

"their"

March 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reality

How old are you. You have to be a very juvenile adult or a soooo very cool teenager you are embarrassing glad your real name isn't available people who know you would cringe.

March 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve-O

You would have been better off spending that money on a grammar course instead.

March 23, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • mamabear

THEIR

March 24, 2012 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyrEUWFxIOQ&w=640&h=390]

March 25, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Too bad you didn't take an English or spelling class instead. It would be THEIR balls...but it was an incredibly stupid comment either way.

March 25, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
    • lisa

You spelled there wrong genius...it is their...

March 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin3g

Excellent question. I wonder if CNN will be unearthing this and all relevant facts. Meanwhile, in Afghanistan...

March 26, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |