Lifetime casts all-black 'Steel Magnolias' remake
March 20th, 2012

Lifetime casts all-black 'Steel Magnolias' remake

Last fall, Lifetime announced plans to create an updated version of the 1989 movie "Steel Magnolias" with an all-black cast, and so far the project has snagged stars like Queen Latifah and Phylicia Rashad.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Queen Latifah is set to take on the role of M'Lynn Eatenton (originally played by Sally Field), and will also serve as executive producer on the project along with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

Condola Rashad will play M'Lynn's diabetic daughter Shelby, as previously played by Julia Roberts, while Condola's real-life mother Phylicia Rashad will portray the widow Clairee.

Alfre Woodard's on board to portray Ouiser Boudreaux; "Pariah's" Adepero Oduye is set to take on beauty assistant Annelle; and Jill Scott is expected to play hairdresser Truvy.

The President and General Manager of Lifetime Networks, Nancy Dubuc, said in a statement that the cast that's been assembled is "astounding."

To be directed by Kenny Leon, "Queen Latifah, Phylicia, Alfre, Jill, Adepero and Condola are some of the most celebrated women in music, film, television and stage ," Dubuc said, "and we could not be more thrilled and honored for them to bring Robert Harling's poignant story about the strength of women to a whole new generation."

Last year, Lifetime described the new "Steel Magnolias" as revolving around a close group of women in Louisiana, which makes it sound like it'll stick close to the original adaptation of the stage play, but only time will tell if that's the case. A premiere date is expected to be scheduled for later this year.

Filed under: Casting Chronicles • Celebrities • movies

1. Wanda

Most of the comments i have read on this page,made it about race. The simple fact is My opinion the movie doesn't compare. It was not good, the original was Great and you just don't miss with Great!! I am Black!

October 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

I agree. I am a hispanic male, and i just watched the movie with my asian wife (since everyone is throwing the race card). It was nowhere as good as the original. You don't touch classics. Plus Halle should of been in there somewhere, or maybe Paula Patton.

October 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gw247

I it sells lots of those wonderful hair products.

September 17, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Elizabeth

THIS MAKES ME FURIOUS. This is a classic movie, that should not be changed to an ALL BLACK cast, for the simple fact, that it takes away from the true-original heart of this movie, and it's only a because of the racist card that is Ibeing pulled too many times in society today. Lifetime- you will no longer get my support.

September 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsMalcolm

Wow Elizabeth, you really are furious! you can't even type or speak correctly. When the movie airs, take some time to yourself and RELAX. Dee fr march 30 made my favorite comment. I am Black and I don't even have cable because I really can get through my day without the garbage on the TV that, as you see, has ppl showing their ugly sides. I absolutely love love love Steel Magnolias but never would I make such ignorant and ridiculous comments abt an entire race. My favorite actors are both males and females fr various races. Call me silly but I bring a smile to my face imagining that the original ladies would make it a girls movie night and sit around and laugh and have a good time watching themselves reincarnated. Some of you are just soooooo miserable. Have a nice day anyway and don't forget your good deed for the day. Tootles

September 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsMalcolm

Oh and please don't fell bad about not supporting Lifetime anymore. I'm am SO SURE they will not lose any sleep. But guess what?! You may be replaced by a whole lot more viewers who will be able to really enjoy a good movie.

September 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • All Black Cast Supporter

Elizabeth, I am sure Lifetime won't die without your support!

September 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue Ann

i bet you are a white woman that made that comment. I am white and i think it would be cool to watch the remake of steel magnolias with all black EXCELLENT ACTRESSES themselves.

September 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Courtney

Well to be honest it doesn't matter if the cast is all black or not, what matters is that Steel Magnolias is a great and inspiring movie black or white.

October 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sonya S.

Elizabeth... It's a shame that you are so narrow minded. The fact that Lifetime is colorblind to the story line, is commendable. You act as if tragedy, happiness, growth, family and friendship is reserved for only a select group of people. Even Huckleberry Finn figured out that all people experience all emotions and all types of challenges in their lives; and he, although a fictional version of Mark Twain, was a child. If you cannot open your mind as an adult to see beyond your stupidity, revert back to your childhood, before your innocence was lost.

October 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rc

Im correcting myself! Long walk home was not about rosa parks but i did see a movie about Rosa Parks and i would be against any white actress playing her in a movie!!!

September 3, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rc

With all this talk about racism and reverse racism the main point is getting lost! The movie is based on a TRUE REAL LIFE event that happened to a particular family and they were not African-American. I would feel the same way if they took "the Long Walk Home" and put Julia Roberts in the role of Rosa Parks! If it was a FICTIONAL story than no problem recast it with these phenomenal black actresses all of whom I feel are amazing at their craft but this is a TRUE story about a family and their daughter and sister and friend. This was written by the brother of Shelby i believe.

September 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sydney

it doesn't matter if it happened to a white family because it happens to a lot of families white or black. the rosa park situation didn't happen to whites at all so that had no resemblance

September 19, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Melissa

I love the cast. Yes, it will be different than the original, but you would have to have a heart of stone not to enjoy QL,Phylicia Rashad and Jill Scott. I'm super excited because in some of the salon scenes, Queen Latifah is wearing a cheetah salon cape made by my company Razor Sharp Salon Wear! So exciting! http://www.berazorsharp.com

August 20, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  7. ants

I luv how every1 thinks they're a better casting director than who the hired to do the actual casting for this movie? Here's a suggestion for ppl who don't want 2c the movie,Dont Watch It! If u do than turn on the tele 2 Lifetime when it airs & Watch It. Another flash 4ppl who don't like remakes? Not everything made 1st is a classic or great? It's subjective & ur opinion. Sum stories r so grt that they can b told again 4new audiences & we currently do have sum grt talent now in 2012. Their were sum grt & sum not so grt actors/actresses in the past as well? There have always been critics!

July 12, 2012 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
    • MTF00

I know something that hasn't gone out of style....spelling words right. Try it sometime. Oh and Dolly will always by my Truvy and Julia will always be my Shelby and I won't be watching the "tele" when it airs just in case you were concerned.

September 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sydney

MTF00. it's really annoying when people comment on spelling. this is not an English paper, get over yourself. if we don't want to spell things right we don't have to :)... until there is a law that says you must spell right on the internet, please shut up... and i say that in the nicest possible way.

September 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TheatreLover76

This was never about race. People read too much into things today to spin their own agendas.

The woman who originally cast an all black cast (she's white) did it for one sole reason, the play could be done 'white' or 'black' without changing a thing in the script because of the story line and location (deep south). As she read through the script, she realized, that it was a perfect movie for this. The point was not to point out the original all white cast or to promote 'black power'. I saw the play and I will see the movie

July 11, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. TheatreLover76

This was not Kenny Leon or Lifetime's idea. This play was originally cast with black actors by a small theatre in Los Angeles – Missing Piece Theatre (34 seats). One of the producers came to the play and really like the spin. Hopefully Lifetime will credit the woman/theatre who originally came up with this casting idea

July 11, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. VGM

Wow!! I personallly enjoyed the original movie myself and what I am reading from everyones post is black and white to me. I am Mexican American ( Chicano ) and do you know that every day I watch a television commerical that ther must always be a black person in a commercial with a white person (Predominately white of course). No Hispanics, Asians or any other ethnic races on its commericials. And IF THEY ARE it a small percentage of time that they are. Why mess with the original version,, African Americans have nothing to complain about . NOTHING.. Its clear the Producers want to tap into and entertain the African American demographics and put another notch on their belt as to another accomplishment . Again another idea taken from a white mans story. Let it be!!

May 6, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DJ Going Crazy

Okay i have to say this, to all those people commenting about "reverse racism," i think it would be completely ridiculous to remake ROOTS with an all white cast, seeing as how that movie is about SLAVERY!!! That would be historically inaccurate. Steel Magnolias was about WOMEN, the fact that they were all white did not make the movie, nor did it give the movie any special meaning, so changing the color of the cast should not be a big deal. I understand if you hate the idea because you prefer the original but to make it about race is just down right ignorant. So please stop making stupid suggestions about Color Purple and Ali, because it should be obvious why these two situation are not the same at all. If you don't want to watch it don't watch it, the whole black versus white thing needs to be shut down!

May 1, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  12. Country Girl

This is just another example of black people trying to set themselves apart from everyone else. You want to be treated equal? Act as an equal. There's no reason that it should be pointed out that this cast is an all black cast. The fact wasn't pointed out that the original was an all white cast. And you know why? Because THAT WAS THE STORY. That was how the true story was. And now they're changing the roots of the story and it's losing its meaning. This version will NEVER live up to the original. It's an undeniable classic.

April 25, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

HOW IS IT LOOSING IT'S MEANING. the whole point of the story is people sticking together to get through something hard. this doesnt only happen to white people. im white and i think its fine. and maybe it says all black cast because you dont really get it that often and they have came far to get to that point.

September 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah M.

I am a white woman and black people had to go through more than we ever had to before they were finally counted as equals. It doesn't matter if the original cast was white what matters is that the actors in the remake are amazing and it could've happened to them too during that time only our race was busy covering their now butts and not looking on the other side to incorporate black people. So to the director who remade Steel Magnolia's with a black cast, I'm happy because he/she is giving them the chance to show their side of how diabetes and love hurt them.

October 7, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. denise wiggins

It's okay, Life story of the movie fits all. When you saw the movie I know someone in it reminded you of someone you knew. It's just a stroy. Stop acting like you had something vested in it. Watch or don't

April 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ND

This is insane. Steel Magnolias is based off of a real person's story of his sister struggle and eventual death from diabetes. The family IS white. So I guess we should re-do Malcom X and get a white guy to play Malcolm.

April 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kat

This is ridiculous! Why does the movie need to be remade with African Americans? I loved the original and doubt they can improve on it so I won't see this.

April 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crystal Klein

So I guess its safe to say you aren't supporting the movie. But stick to being a closet biggot

April 27, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  16. BJH

I loved the original and with the cast you have for the remake, it will be a must see.

April 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Here nor There

One of my all time favs! I don't care that it has an all black cast. But why redo a story that doesn't need to be retold. The movie is perfect just the way it is. I heard that Jada is planning on a redo of 9 to 5. Why?? It's a classic just like Steel Magnolias. You can't do it over and be any better.

April 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Larry

I am.... confused. Does casting the remake with all black characters make it a better story or just more relatable to a particular demographic. Remakes of classics, in my opinion, are a waste of time anyway. Why mess with a good thing. I work in a predominately African American workplace, and am offended that a group of people whose only difference is skin color have special TV stations, award shows, holidays and special rights. I have never been called an Italian American but damn straight I’m suppose to refer to people who have never lived in Africa as African Americans. I say to African Americans if you don’t want to be treated differently, don’t act as though you are. I’m disappointed Lifetime.

April 24, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • SOmebody

I personally don't like remakes. The first movie was a classic and should be left alone. It does not need to be remade with a black or white cast. Be original and do something new.

June 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna9292

Do you also resent that Latinos and Asians have their own TV stations, programs, news also or just because Blacks do?

October 4, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  19. taboo

@ Pamela. I agree with you. This country and this world would be so much better if people would stop being so judgemental. However, I really think some people are insects and may bleed green! : )

April 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Budro

I am a 61 y.o. GWM who quotes SM dialogue while watching the movie with friends. I've seen numerous plays repeatedly, with a different cast of Lead characters each time, and my pleasure or disappointment of the performance stemmed from level of acting talent. A change of race for a particular character never factored into my wanting to see a play more than once, but the storyline brought me back. Original SM is, and likely will be my favorite movie 4ever; I watch it many times during a year. The cast of SM Remake are all remarkably talented actors and I look forward to seeing my favorite characters portrayed anew. And, I have to say...having seen Queen Latifah in the movie "Joyful Noise", she not only is a phenomenal singer, but has the acting range and depth to artfully and successfully play any role. Go Ladies, your fans await you.

April 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  21. roni

love it :)

April 19, 2012 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  22. Robbyn

Remake using women who look like me is awesome. For all the racist comments please go find your own planet. Please!

April 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. truth

REVERSE RACISM....ATTENTION.... their iS no such thing...RACISM is racism....to put it in context..the only way reverse racism could be the discrimination by race of white people by black people...would be only if racism specifically means discrimination against black people specifically by white people.........RACISM IS THE DISCRIMINATION OF ANYONE BASED ON RACE.....

April 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bubbyco D

Who is really going to watch these Nig Nogs! Leave it alone!!!!

April 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mark greco

i loved the movie. It was funny, and deep. imo a one-of-a-kind. So why not make a movie with people who can also act and just saw Queen L. in The bee movie with Dakoda, (sorry i forget the name it was on lifetime last week and it was deep and very good. I guess that is exceptional acting so imo i am gonna see it. Could be another great movie.

April 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mike D

The play and screenplay seem to be timeless, so good for Lifetime for keeping it alive.
    I don't like all one race casting of any sort. Why do it – that's not what life is, at least not now. Yes, the original movie was ALL WHITE. Too bad too, it didn't need to be. So why do it again, albeit completely another way.

a White Entertainment Channel would never be tolerated. When can we actually start getting past pandering and racism in ALL forms? I pray, in my Lifetime!

April 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chanin

The cast was an all white cast because it was based on a true story of the group of friends in Louisianna who lived actually lived this. It wasn't directed towards white people, just the true loving yet tragic story.

April 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LT

@ Joystick...i so agree with you. Please yall learn how to spell before posting a comment. Its like those who know they can't read and pronounce words well and want to read out loud....no ma'am!

April 6, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Indiana

You keep spelling "you're" incorrectly. If you're passing advice about spelling, grammar, punctuation.... Make sure you don't have any mistakes yourself first.

April 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Cindy

I agree with TW ... why a remake? Leave well enough alone .... UNLESS, they are all planning to wear hoodies as a protest for Trayvon .... we have to be careful now .... all these protests and irresponsible actions of african-american celebs are making me sick .... Hey? A black 17 yr. old shot and killed 2 Brittish Tourists .... I don't recall any protests for that !!!

April 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. EQ620

If it was ever advertised that there was going to be a movie made with an all white cast the NAACP would be all over that like batter on fried chicken. I can't believe this article. Not only that, a remake of this classic movie will most likely be a flop. The original can't be redone.

April 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Nik

Is everything going to be about race? I am a black woman and have no problem saying.... I love the original Steel Magnolias. Do not even go there. Just leave it alone. Personally, I prefer the original. It is not even a race thing-I can not imagine the same affect as the original. Just leave it alone.

April 5, 2012 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • James

I'm with you. I think the themes and relationship transcend time, race, faith, etc. A friend and I were talking about this...some messages/movies might benefit from being remade with different iterations of people (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was what we discussed), Steel Magnolias is about people and families and relationships, and I'm not really grasping why a remake. Or is the why "just because"?

April 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Frida

Hmmmm...until ALL BLACK ceases to boast of their "all black" venues, racism will still exist in our country. One Million Black Men March, Miss Black America, etc. Really, the producers of this remake are most likely hoping to jump on the coattails of the success of "The Help". And, just how many black people ranted about the racism of that film PRIOR to ever seeing it.
    If every single person who cried "racism" would then go out and feed one hungry/homeless person, the going-to-bed-hungry in this country would dwindle.

April 4, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. TW

I would really like to know why a remake of this movie has to be made at all. Why ruin a good thing. I personally don't like remakes of anything. First ones are always the best. Leave it alone and all the other originals.What would be next remake of "Gone With the Wind" or "Wizard of Oz"?How would that go over. NOT!!!!

April 4, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fed up

The main problem that I have was the first SM was ALL WHITE! I mean there wasn't a black person in church, at the Easter egg hunt, at the funeral, at the grocery store, walking down the freaking street. Let alone as a charictor that spoke. They had one pair clapping at the reception. And that movie was made in the early 90s. I went to see the Vow and there wasnt a black person in that either! Not one to be found. Not in the coffie shop, not in the hospital, not making music, not walking down the freaking street. So stop saying all white mivies are something of the past. I am glad to have an all black cast. I'm sure it wont be an all black world at least there will be a white person walking down the street.

And there was a remake of the Wizord of Oz, it was called The Wiz. But I'm sure you never saw that either.

April 19, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  33. LT

OH PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

April 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  34. GAGME

The movie needs no remake, nothing new or more enlightening will come out of it. Black oriented networks only do this crap to stir up business. Its stupid and if it were spotlighted as an ALL WHITE movie remake it would be regarded as RACIST. The double standard is old already..

April 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. TallyChick

As a white person, I'm actually looking forward to this movie. I LOVED the original Steel Magnolia and don't mind seeing this movie remade from a different perspective. I think they did a great job with the casting! The movie may suck, but it may be good. You never know. I'm willing to give it a shot!

April 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. RaceFactor

I love the move Steal Magnolia's... cry everytime... but I do not see how the race of the actors will change any of the dynamics of the plot or story line? I cannot imagine why the remake is necessary at all... Unless you are saying that balck audiences can't relate to the movie because the characters have white skin?

April 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nik

I loved the original. I have it on DVD. I do not want to see a remake. Leave it a lone. It is not even about race. My favorite character is Clairee. No one can do that part but Shirley M.

April 5, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  37. Justme

Some people are crying racist from both sides. So let's start from the black side. "All Black" remake. By that very statement the movie is based on excluding others and in its very base is racist. Just making a movie excluding blacks is self-defeating. A remake from a "black" point of worldview would and could be uplifting, validating and insightful, but making a movie just to a movie with all blacks is not going to do anything but stir folks up.

April 4, 2012 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  38. Tonya

I love Queen Latifah but I think it was a little arrogant of her to cast herself in the lead role (Executive Producer....hmmmmm) she doesn't have the range to play that part. If they MUST do a remake then Alfre Woodard (or even Angela Bassett) would've been better as M'Lynn. I can see Jill as Truvy, Phylicia as Clairee but they lose me with the rest. It's going to be intersting to see what this "updated" version will be like, this is one of my favorite tear jerkers so I'm already going into it with reservations. And I would say this with the new black cast or a new white one.

April 4, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  39. ????

WHO CARES!!! Please SHUT UP all of you.

April 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • !!!!!

Apparently you care enough to read the story AND comment. Why don't you take your own advice and shut up!

April 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  40. BusyBee

As a diabetic, I HATED the original. I understand that diabetes has different effects on each individual, but I hated that the character – who clearly didn't take care of herself NOR listen to her doctors – portrayed most diabetics and their treatments in a poor light. I seriously hope they don't stick to the original and actually update the way a diabetic today would be treated... it's severely outdated and we've come a LONG way with improvements!! We no longer have the emotional and perceived "death sentences" most received back then when diagnosed.

April 3, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frida

Portrayed "most diabetics"... good grief, that's a stretch for a whine about such a remarkable film. Now, go have an oreo :)

April 4, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hdwt

The fact of the matter is that the playwright of Steel Magnolias wrote the play based on his sister's life. It was sort of auto-biographical. I worked as a dramaturg on the play (don't know the word, look it up) and you learn a lot when you research the actual playwright and what he intended for the play to be. Not a "this is all diabetics" etc. He's a playwright; he can write his own story. You do your job, and that's his job.

I think they should ask the playwright to see if its approved. Grant it, the characters aren't called as any certain race. But I just think of the time period, and I'd want them to stick to the script as well as stay historically accurate. And the acting better be damn good.

April 5, 2012 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  41. RJofDC

Okay.........I LOVED the original. So, this is hard to hear. But if it MUST be done, then here is my suggestions for the cast:

M'lynn – Vanessa Williams or Vivica Fox........I DO NOT see Queen Latifah.
    Claree – Phylicia Rashad is okay.
    Truvy – Loretta Devine
    Ouiser – Octavia Spencer or Queen Latifah
    Annelle – Brandy
    Shelby – Keisha Knight Pulliam

April 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  42. pamela

OMG.Its just a movie. It really amazes me how some people judge things. What you need to do is look at the talent that these actors and actresses have and forget about the color of their skin. Please do me a favor and cut yourself and see what color your blood is. I can guarantee you its all the same color. This country would be so much better if people would stop being so judgemental. And I'm talking to all races. Thank you!!!!!

April 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  43. dwarfiron77

Why does everyone want to remake all the good movies. The orginal also delt with diabetes and the affects it has on friends and family. In the new remake will that stay true.

April 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mandi

I loved the first movie. Not real big on remakes but I will watch just to see how it differs. I agree with another poster that Octavia Spencer would make a great Ouiser.

April 2, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Patrick

Being honest I think that if they tried to re-make The Color Purple with an all-white cast it would not be the same. During the time frame that movie and others like it (Roots, Women of Brewster Place, etc) were made when African Americans truly struggled. Now, I am not saying that an all-black cast if fantastic for SM however if it is what lifetime wants to do the most a individual who is upset about it can do is boycott it or write a letter. You can't compare black films like The Color Purple with Steel Mag. If you did you would have to do a lot of rewriting of the script.

April 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. grannyB

If W America was fair to all races we wouldn't be having this kind of conversation. There is good and bad in all races.
    We wouldn't have to separate everything if there wasn't so much Hate and unfairness. Yes its 2012 yes theres a Blk President who a lot of W people Hate. Racism lives. Wake up.

April 2, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  47. hmmm

Just a random thought...I wonder when Queen Latifah will come out of the closet.

April 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  48. sundevi888

I think this is going to be wonderful...

April 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Gee girl

One word why? Change the characters changed the name

April 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Dee

I just find it interesting that it garners this much 'excitement' over it being redone with a black cast: "borderline offensive" says one person, "idiotic" says another, "double standard" says plenty more. And, bottom line, lest we all forget, it's...a...movie. Who cares whether the cast is white or black? If you base the movies you take the time to watch on the color of the skin of the cast, then I'd say you live in a sad, sad world. I've seen great movies that happen to have a white cast. I've seen great movies that happen to have a black cast. I've seen great movies that happen to have an Asian cast. I've seen great movies that happen to have a Hispanic cast. And, believe it or not folks, I've seen great movies that have happened to have....hold on to your hats...all-race casts....

So again....Why act your shoe size and say stuff like "offensive" and "idiotic"? There's no law that you have to watch it. So don't watch it...surf the channels, look for "The Best of Swamppeople's Wives Fishing with Hands while they count their Guns to sell at the Pawn Shop".

March 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. sistersolja

I celebrate the women on the cast! True Americans appreciate TRUE talent, no matter what skin color the cast! I am a true AMERICAN and the rest of you idiots who are negative can kick rocks – YOU MUST BE BROKE! lol lol lol GET. A. JOB! Clearl, these women have earned their way to stardom and will be hailed as even MORE brilliant once the project is wrapped! CONGRATS LADIES!

March 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  52. leila

Oh this is fun. I loved Steel Magnolias and this one is sure to be a hit. I will definitely watch it.

March 29, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ann m.

I don't like when they do remakes at all. It's rare if the movie is half as good as the original.

March 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mark

Dee... your comment about the "all white" movie was racism enough for you is what is wrong with this country. I'm so sick of the racism card being played with almost everything anymore. What about movies that have an all black cast? What about BET (Black Entertainment Television)? What would you think if they came out with WET (White Entertainment Television)? So Dee, you would support WET? I would assume yes cause you don't want white people to think you are a racist? If they remake the movie with an all black cast... I don't care. If they remake the movie as a cartoon, I don't care. I will see the remake based on how it appeals to me, not because of the color of someone's skin... unlike you!

March 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Joe

Huh. Last time I checked there were other races besides Black.....but you wouldn't know it to watch movies or TV.

March 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. cmlpcfl

If Queen Latifiah is in this I will DEFINITELY go and see...I love love love her!! and I'm white if someone's counting...I think Octavia Spencer would be a cool Ouiser Boudreaux too!!

March 29, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  57. SJ

Some of you are so ignorant that I don't know how you get dressed in the mornings.
    Roots and Color Purple are movies about the black experience in America. Just how
    are you supposed to have a remake with an all white cast? That makes no sense
    what so ever.

As far as this remake, I think it will be great to see what black women bring to the this
    story. It is about the strength of women and their friendships. Black women could make
    this a stronger movie than the original, because black women have a strength about them
    that comes from enduring and surviving as a black woman in America. It is a strength
    that is far different and often deeper than those of us that are white, because we have
    not been forced to survive what black women have been forced to survive.

I am so tired of the angry little white people that can not be happy for any one of another
    color to do something that is just about them. We whites, maybe not any of you personally,
    but our white race has done so many injustices in this world to others that are not white
    that we need to realize that it is okay for other races to do things that is just for them or about
    them. We have owned the market on that for long enough.

Sit down. Take a breath my white sisters and brothers. And quit being so quick to jump on
    a race comment. The first Steel Magnolia's movie was about a group of all white women in
    a small Louisianna town. It is important to this remake to mention that the new cast is all black,
    if that is how it is. It will change the way the story is told or played, because we are different.

And thank God for that. I am white. And I am looking forward to the remake, because of the
    fact that it will have to be different, just because black and white women are different.

Just please try to get along ... and acceept others for who they are.

March 29, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • cmlpcfl

amen!

March 29, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • babycakesbrown

I get the point you are making but I must diagree with the comment "Black women could make
      not been forced to survive what black women have been forced to survive."
      The black women I come into contact with aren't struggling and never have had to deal with what the older generations have had to deal with. We all struggle as a people regardless of our color.

April 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  58. jessica

I can't wait to see it, group of talented actress's!

March 29, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  59. brian

damnit, then i want a version with illegal white people in it

March 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. esrp

What's next remaking the Helen Keller movie with Will Smith's daughter?

March 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  61. jb2817

Shouldn't they rename it Black eyed Susans?

March 23, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  62. Samantha

@Tracey, because there is not a soul in Hollywood or wherever who has an original idea to work with!

March 20, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Tracey

One word. WHY?

March 20, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. JD

The original film is one of my favorites, however a remake with this cast will definitely be a must see.

March 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Tendofreak

I feel about this the same as I do Black Santas............not!

March 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Samantha

@Bill, you didnt like it because its the proverbial chick flick. I love the original and am curious to see how this comes out although (and Im being realistic, not bigoted or racist) how many affluent black neighborhoods are there in Louisiana?

March 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • v

They are MANY affluent black families in Louisiana! LOL what a commnent.

March 29, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  67. BPitt

The original play that this movie was based on was written about the author's own sister (Shelby character). So it is a true story. How can you recast a true story with another race? That's like recasting "Ali" as a white dude! Seeing how this story was originally written in tribute to the author's sister, it seems almost insulting to redo it in this way.

March 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  68. j

This is one of my favorite movies. It's a warm movie set in a small, idealic town where the women band together during hardship. I hope the new version is just as great. But, frequently, trying to recreate something like that is like trying to catch lightening in a bottle.

March 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Cdiaz

Are you serious right now?!

March 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Louisa

The movie was so sweet and it will always be one of my favorites. I have no problems with the new movie because it is made for TV and the only channels it will run on will be Lifetime and OWN. I doubt it will get much feedback.

March 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • steffy

yep this one of the Best movies i have ever seen.. the story is for women . so the guy who on here talk balls your a fool get lost. I like movies that have story written well. Black or white its the magic and dedication of the actors that make it come to life. I am sure these two women will do the job

April 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • steffy

I have never seen the movie so this one may be better

April 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Pliny

Suppose this story was "Lifetime casts all-white 'Jeffersons' remake.

It would be condemned as racism.

It would be on every news-channel on earth.

Welcome to the double-standard.

March 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • KP

Amen! It would be a complete disaster. Can they also remake "The Color Purple" with an all white cast? Doubtful...

March 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee

Whites have already stolen Cleopatra. You don't even acknowledge she was Black. You have lied about it for so long, you have forgotten it started out as a lie so STFU.

BTW, I have no desire to see this movie with a all Black cast. The all white cast was racist enough for me.

March 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • laura

how stupid and ridiculous can you get? I am so sick of this reverse racism all the time. I really want them to make an all white Color Purple, Roots, and Jeffersons instead!

March 29, 2012 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
    • soccermom

I COMPLETELY agree. I thought the same exact thing. I bet Jesse Jackson won't have a problem with this "new" movie. I think we should start a United White College Fund and see how that goes over with the crowd.

March 29, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Mary - not your sistah!

Amen. And Miss Black USA? HOw about Miss White America? Tired of the double standard. Oh yeah – if a white thug in a hoodie were shot by a black security officer, would anyone care? so sad we whites are being crapped on by the media.

March 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • TR

You are soooooo wrong, dude. I'm black and I would love that Sh@@

March 31, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Richard Fore

I am going to see this with my daddy observer. Daddy said the original was one of the best movies hed ever seen. I am going to go lick my balls in anticipation.

March 20, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  73. Bill R. M.

First of all why remake this movie?It sucked the first time with an all white cast.What makes Lifetime think a mostly black (because they'd never have all black cast) movie on that Network.Also Queen LaTifah is to fat to play anyone of the women,she needs to do whatever Jill Scott did to look the way she dose now.

March 20, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Joystick

OMG, learn how to spell!

Your grammar SUCKS, along with your racist comments.

March 30, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Regal1

The first question to me was why remake this movie. Not becauseof color, but because the original one was great. With that being said.Lifetime is going to do what Lifetime wants to do so stop arguing over stuff you can't change. Also for all of you who say they should make an all white Roots. Already done it wascalled Schindler's List. My last point is that African Americans have been on the back burner in the movie industry for so long, and I realize that many people would love for usto stay there and it shows when the first objection you have to something is about race and not something more valid. There have been many roles throughout history like Cleopatra that wedon't get but we arenot going anywhere. I think it would be a great movie because the cast is awesome. Just like in the original the cast was awesome. Thank you Lifetime for the opportunity.

March 31, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Race Factor

Regal1: My initial objection to the re-make is the same objection I have to any remake (music, movies, etc. If you can't add to/improve the original then don't remake it.

I do not see how changing the race of the cast (White, Black, Asian, Indian, purple...etc) will add to the original movie. Now if they are revamping the movie and altering plot lines then that is at least changing it in a meaningful way (for better or worse). But if all they are doing is swaping out actors it appears as though the creators are saying that by changing the race of the actors it will make it more relatabe to a certain audience. Which in some cases is true... we do tend to relate to characters when we can see ourselves in them. I can't say that the movie would be any more or any less compelling for me if the cast were white or black. That unfortunately does say something about racial views.

April 4, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |