“Pretty Little Liars” fans have patiently (OK, and sometimes impatiently) waited for answers since the addictive show's premiere in June 2010.
And tonight, as the teen drama’s second season comes to a close, viewers will finally find resolve: A’s identity will be revealed.
We’re not sure if the hoodie-wearing menace who's been tormenting the girls is also Alison’s murderer, but after 46 episodes of cryptic text messages and puzzling clues, closing just one case ought to be enough to tide us over until next season.
With new characters and subplots popping up left and right, there’s no shortage of suspects. However, as the writers have tried to throw us off A’s trail, we've re-watched episodes and scanned blogs for clues to identify the potential culprit.
Here’s what we came up with:
1. Ezra Fitz: We’ve had our eye on Fitz since the pilot episode. Why would he play tonsil hockey with a random teenager (Aria) in a bar bathroom before starting work as a high school teacher?
Our first clue that Fitz could be "A" is the English teacher's affinity for younger girls. Thus, it's possible he was the “older guy” Alison dated before her death. (We originally thought the guy she talked about was Ian, but that was never officially confirmed.)
And there’s more! In season 1, Noel confronted Fitz about getting a "C" on his English paper - which he promptly crossed out and changed to an "A." Could he have been sending Fitz a message? It also seems a little too convenient that A blackmailed Aria to “get rid of" Fitz’s ex-fiancée, Jackie Molina. Meanwhile, all the other "liars" had to break up with their boyfriends and endanger their families. Fishy, right? We know.
2. Mona: The smarty pants-turned-popular girl seems like an obvious choice. She’s been featured in recent episodes, hanging out with the girls more often. She even started receiving texts from A. But it’s possible she’s been sending them to herself. (Her most recent task was to make out with Hanna’s boyfriend.) She also has a lot of extra cell phones sitting around. (She lent one to Hanna a few episodes ago.) And then there’s the episode of Caleb’s birthday party, when Mona claimed she was “skinny dipping” during Hanna and Lucas’ fight on the water. But is she too obvious an "A" contender?
3. Jenna: We already know Jenna is a good liar, and now that she’s got her vision back, she’s an even bigger threat. She’s been a prime suspect since the season 1 finale, when Garrett gave her page 5 of Ali’s file. It seemed Garrett was under the impression she was going to burn the piece of paper. However, she recently returned the page to the police department, claiming she had no idea what information it contained. Jenna’s eclectic snow globe collection is also a bit shady, given the fact that Alison once hid a key inside her own snow globe.
4. Garrett: After admitting he joined the police force to get back at the liars, Garrett has seemed even creepier than usual. (What is it with the Rosewood men and young girls?) First he was dating Jenna, and now he’s kissing Melissa - what other shady business is this dirty cop up to? We also know that Garrett was a member of the N.A.T club (N.A.T. being short for a Latin phrase, which translates to “we see all”). The group included Garrett, Jason and Ian - and Melissa and Jenna might have been in on it, too.
5. Melissa: Spencer’s big sis recently admitted to sending Alison threatening text messages, but we’re not sure she’s A. Though, it’s obvious she knows more than she lets on. (She shows up in a video taken in Alison’s room, and was recently spotted kissing Garrett.)
6. Spencer’s dad: The man has already tried to keep a broken lacrosse stick buried in the yard, and has lied about fathering Alison’s brother, Jason. He’s also admitted to having Alison followed, saying it was to protect Ali from a very jealous Melissa. But something’s not right with Mr. Hastings.
7. Alison: Fans who’ve read the books have mentioned that Alison’s twin Courtney eventually pops up in the novels. We’re not sure if the series will follow suit, but we did notice side-by-side pictures of Alison and a look-a-like in her bedroom during the Halloween episode, making us wonder if she has a twin. What if the projections of Alison that the girls have been seeing aren’t dreams after all?
8. Maya: We haven’t seen Emily’s ex since she skipped town a few episodes ago, but she was acting extremely suspicious before leaving Rosewood.
9. Lucas: Lucas seemed guilty the night of Caleb’s birthday party, when he and Hanna had their rowboat altercation. And although he eventually explained his behavior - he borrowed money from Caleb to make a bet on a basketball game - it's not exactly an airtight alibi.
10. One of the pretty little liars: We don’t want to believe that Aria, Spencer, Hanna or Emily might be working undercover as A, but it’s a possibility.
Aria does begin with the letter A, and, conveniently, A didn't start terrorizing the girls until Aria got back from Iceland. Jason also seemed to think something was up with Aria, because the girls found countless pictures of her in his shed one night.
Aria also happens to be the only little liar who hasn’t seen Alison in a dream, or been physically harmed or touched by A:
Share your theories below, and check back tomorrow for our season 2 finale recap.
Guys "A" is Toby, Allison is still alive shes not dead!
Aria was touched by A, in Season 2 when A tried to escape Spencer's house when Aria unexpectedly arrived, A shove Aria into a coffee table up by the wall, she need an ice-pack to treat a minor neck and back injury
That was Aria's brother who pushed her. He was breaking into Spencer's house at the time.
I have no idea who "A" really is, but i think Jenna and Toby both have something to do with it. My question is I wonder if Toby is in it to help out Mona or if he is trying to figure everything out to help Spencer and the girls?
You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I to find this topic to be actually one thing which I feel I'd by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very huge for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
Maybe Aria can be -A. But I don't think so. But here's a clue that she might be -A;:
Aria wrote the letter where -A wrote "Do you know where your daughter will be tonight"? something like that.
And Aria didn't show up. Maybe she did that on purpose to prove his dad that his not seeing Ezra anymore.
You guys are foolish. Ezra didnt change noels grade first of all ezra fits as A he tries so hard to stay with aria and to know everythig about her life and her friends rather caleb knows absolutely nothing! Thats why he left hanna dont you think if he was A he'd stick around? Come on people.
Also what benefit does he get from being with aria aside from her "love" remember everyone in rosewood has other intentions they way i see it "guilty until proven innocent" plus ezra is always around during the time they get messages but not when A is doing something major like during ians death or when he "went" to new york. Plus in season 3 he has no job but has alot of cash according to what has been told about season 3 episode 6
Howdy very nice website!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?I am satisfied to seek out so many useful info right here in the submit, we'd like work out extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .
what is the motives behind A doing all that? If it's Ezra, then why?
the one who's talking to mona at the end also wear a red dress, right? what if the girl wasn't aria? what if the girl's the is the same one behind mona?
I don't know if you guys notice or not but...on the finale at the prom when caleb giving mona a compliment about his tux, you guys can look closer at the girl behind mona who wear red dress&mask, she's also the same girl who sit behind emily and paige when they're talking at the prom.. she has a blonde hair like alison..but I'm not so sure. what you guys think?
I might have left something out. It was when the 4 girls got the text for the fashion show. 'My dresses , My game , My rules'??? Aria did not get the text, but the others did.
I have so many reasons why Aria is 'A'. First reason is that in the finale, Aria still has the Vivian Darkbloom coat, but in the end, 'A' had worn the coat, which Aria still had. Second of all, the prom dress Aria wore was a Black Swan copy from the cover of 'Black Swan' (not the movie). Third, Aria has full access to Ezra's apartment, which has a typewriter that Aria CAN use if Ezra is not there. Also, Melissa takes ARIA’s toffee flavored ice cream, the same flavor as Mona’s lipstick, which means Mona might had known Aria was a suspect, so gave a hint with her lipstick. Also, 'A' loves red right? Aria had ALL red on the night the fake 'A' was revealed. Aria had some sort of things on her legs on the promotional pictures for the episode, maybe handcuffs? Device?... When Aria was in the plane with Duncan, he sounded like he was accusing her… she also wanted to go alone… maybe to see what how much he really knows?
Plus, Mona once called her Big A, giving a sign she was the real one maybe? And, Aria always does the 'Shhh' from the beginning. Yet, she hasn't been in REAL danger, whether being locked in a shed or something. Also, from the dinner with Ezra Aria was planning, 'A' had sent a location to where Aria and Ezra were meeting up, Aria left Ezra instead of going, maybe tricking Aria's father that he was wrong from the relationship to stop spying on her. 'A' has dark hair, pretty eyes? Thats what Aria has.
I really think that A if Aria, but i'm super confused so now I don't know at all. It could be so many different people, Mona was A. Okayyyyy now who else is there that is A as well!? At the end when Mona was is the "funny house" she had a visitor…but we didn't see the face or anything of the visitor, all i saw was a red coat sort of. Wasn't Vivian Dartbloom (Ali) always wearing that red coat???? I don't know but I am being left in such suspense and its killing me!!!
Ok, despite the fact that I know who A is for certain, I think I know who is on this A team that everybody has neglected to mention. The person that was hit by a car was Harden! Think about it, his huge bruise on his "date" with Aria, and his lack of explanation? I still have no idea why nobody has mentioned this henceforth, but something is shady about Holden.
It showed where he got the bruse from. He is a underground fighter.
It's Emily's father.
Its not Ezra because a note from 'A' telling Aria's father to go to the restaurant where Ezra and Aria would be meeting and the audienece were the only ones who saw Ezra back away and therefore it can't he wouldn't stage it for no one to see.
GUYS! What about Wren? There are so MANY clues of why he could be A.
I am not sure if they are going to keep the Courtney/Allison thing going in the TV show, but if they are then it is obviously the real Allison and not her insane twin Courtney who was pretending to be Allison. If not, then I think that A is Mona, because, although Melissa stopped and stared at Mona kissing Hanna's boyfriend (i cant remember his name), Hanna did not receive the text immediately after Melissa saw them kissing. Also, Allison (or Courtney) was very mean to Mona in Junior High (ex. when Mona was nerdy she asked to sit with them and all Allison said was "Ignore it and it will go away.") Who knows, though? I guess we will find out tonight!!! Can't wait!!! XD
The main characters said they were all schocked at who A is, so I think this would tell us the main suspects, like Jenna and Garrett might not be A after all. Cant wait for tonights episode!!
I think that it's one of the girls parents!
It's Aria and Ezra! They're both A!!!!
Okay, I've just seen the finale and I've just learned on the internet that the producers and the writers changed the original bad guys from those that are in the books so the suspects could really be anybody – including one of the Liars. With that being said, here are my suspects, not just because they weren't really mentioned, but because there were clues in both seasons and the finale that led me to believe it has to be one or more of these people who are apart of the 'A' team that haven't been discovered yet:
'A' is Jenna's twin sister who we have seen and just didn't realize. But I did. You will see tonight.
So you think Jenna's twin is the one that can see? And you think jenna is the blind one, or?
I'm pretty sure it's Hanna's mom.
Aria is A .... I have been crying this out loud, atleast some have started opening thier eyes now.
Aria is A .... I have been crying this out loud, atleast now someone else thinks this a possibility
A is NOT one of the pretty little liars: Each of the girls has been seen receiving text messages from A while alone on screen. It could make sense if one of the girls was "suffering" at the hand of A just for the benefit of the others – but we have seen each of them being tormented by A without anyone else around – it wouldn't make sense.
Hmnn...good guesses, but Maya was acting strange when she came back, but then again she acted strange to begin with. I don't think it is Ezra, at least i hope not...one of the girls..nahh...to cliche to be one of them. I do like the scenario above where the 3 are working together and ones goes rogue...can't ait for tonight..I love this show.
I think "A" is Spencer's mom :)
I think Spncer has something to do with it.
Paris- They never said that Ezra changed Noel's grade on the paper, if you read the article it says that Noel changed his own grade to an A. Therefore making us wonder if he was trying to send us a message indicating that Ezra is A.
My best guess is that A consists of three people working together and sometimes against each other: Jenna, Garrett, and Melissa. One of them has gone rogue, throwing the game off and freaking out the other two. One or all of them has been roping other people into the game, like Lucas, making the group of those in on the secret larger and out of control, possibly leading to A spin-offs that will keep us guessing into the next season.
That's all I got. To be honest, I wish they could string us along a little longer because I can't imagine what new juicier secret has to evolve to keep our attention.
You Obviously Hve no Idea what you are talking about... Ezra NEVER changed Noels grade! He was about to resighn when Noel got suspended. And He truly Loves Aria. He wouldnt lie to her that much
Yes he did! He DID change his grade-.-
Season 1 episode 13. Ezra DOES NOT CHANGE NOELS GRADE! Just watched it.
well your wrong because Ezra is A!!!
Is Caleb himself out of the question? He could be working with Allison's twin. Hope not though! I really like him, but most wouldn't see that one coming!
That would be cool, but they confirmed him as being promoted to a series regular next season, so unlikely ....
Observer is an idiot.
which observer are you talking about we have a few.
MORE GREAT TELEVISION– YAWN
Oh, not you. The ugly one that has to post really stupid liberal comments all the time.
Obviously he is referring to you.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 7,767 other followers