OWN cancels Rosie O'Donnell's show
March 19th, 2012

OWN cancels Rosie O'Donnell's show

Oprah Winfrey has pulled the plug on Rosie O’Donnell’s primetime OWN show.

Fans of the long-struggling “The Rosie Show” have just one more opportunity on Tuesday, March 20 to attend a live taping.

The final episode is expected to air on March 30.

In addition to the Chicago-based show’s apparently abysmal ratings, The Daily Beast reports that factors behind the scenes may also have attributed to the show’s untimely demise.

For her part, OWN owner Oprah Winfrey - who is struggling with poor ratings across the network overall - did not acknowledge any drama with O’Donnell in the statement she released Friday.

“I thank Rosie from the bottom of my heart for joining me on this journey," Winfrey said. "She has been an incredible partner, working to deliver the best possible show every single day.”

O'Donnell, not surprisingly, was also mum about any potential challenges.

“I was welcomed with open arms and will never forget the kindness of all I encountered,” the 49-year-old said of her experience on the show and her dealings with Winfrey. “It was a great year for me — I wish the show was able to attract more viewers — but it did not. So I am headed back to my home in New York — with gratitude. On we go!”

“The Rosie Show” debuted back in late October, and saw an almost immediate slide in ratings.

1. Karen

Love Rosie – but I think she wasn't allowed to do her own thing here – something felt off from the very get-go. She's the only reason I ever tuned into Oprah's ego network – hope she turns up again on a better network. I think she would be great doing a live talk show from Broadway . . .

April 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nolagirl

She looks like a man in that picture! Ew

March 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Observer

rosie...can you say pedicure?

i thought the same thing myself.

March 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rosie's feet

jeez..how do you think we feel carrying her chunky butt all the time....I mean how in the hell do do that to us and to make matters worse she doesn't even groom her own toe nails for pete's sake...She just paints over the toe jam....Plese send help!!

March 21, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. guess what

TV is out anyways, and the talk show trend is fading out fast. If I wanted to watch anything during prime time, it would be the news, not the Rosie O'Donnell talk show. I don't think anybody's really at fault, and I don't think Rosie would've done a particularly bad job. Nobody's interested in interviews with B-list celebrities anymore. Trendy shows like Gossip Girl and Glee are reaping in all the ratings. I mean, get with the program! (pun not intended)

March 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Slapaho

Not since "The Magic Hour" has there been such a forgettable show.

March 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Observer1

GEE WHAT A SHOCK. DUH

March 20, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. Beverly covington

I was never a fan of Rosie so the fact that the show is being cancelled is no big deal. However, I think the OWN network should bring someone and something fresh and unique to its programming. There are a lot of important and relevant issues that can be addressed without some celebrity name to draw on. Consider a show where each week a regular person's life is followed and something can be done for them to uplift their life a bit. Email me if you are interested in my suggestion.

March 20, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. jb2817

What will Kaleid Sheik Mohammed do now ?!?!?!

March 20, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. suzy diamond

I have seen QUITE enough of Rosie over the years. I'm sorry, but I believe she's a crackpot PERIOD. They say she's changed, she's not that angry white woman any longer but I have that image in my mind and that's it! My opinion is she's STILL angry and I can't get those rants they showed on TV of her on the web! She came across as a real wack job! I will never understand how Oprah REALLY read this one ALL WRONG! There's only a handful of "Rosie Fans." Most people don't like her and certainly not enough for her to have a TV show! Maybe this TOO is the end of Oprah's "Midas" touch!

March 20, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. ROBERT RICHARDSON

I,VE GOT NOTHING AGAINST ROSIE BUT THE BUSINESS IS BASED ON MONEY, TO TELL THE TRUTH I THINK OPRAH SHOULD,VE THOUGHT THIS THING OUT A LITTLE MORE AND BROUGHT OUT NEW TALENT INSTEAD OF BRINGING THE S.O.S BACK TO THE SCRIPT. YOU,RE JUST WATCHING THE ROSIE O"DONNELL SHOW WITH NO NEW TWIST TO IT. EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS OR GIVE UP THE MONEY. PERIOD. IF I WANT TO WASTE TIME WATCHING TV BRING SOMETHING NEW TO CAPTIVATE ME OR HELLO NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.

March 20, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Eileen

When Rosie came back after Christmas with the new show, she was better than ever. I have recorded every show and
    Am really sorry that the show has been cancelled. And please, can those folks who don't like her stop being so very
    Cruel? Rosie is Rosie and is quite talented. She has worked hard for what she has. We all have personality defects
    But no one needs to say about Rosie what has been said here. Sure, there are things she says and does that I don't like,
    but no one is perfect. Cut Rosie a break folks. She is a good person.

March 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rosie's Big Toe

Thank Ellen...I mean Eileen....got any openings over there, Ellen....I mean Eileen?

March 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Janelle

I used to really like Rosie when she had a talk show years ago. After her stint on The View, though, I have a very different opinion of her and wouldn't watch her if I was paid. Perhaps that's the same with a lot of people and why her ratings were so poor. The audience isn't interested in the host's opinion, they're interested in hearing what the guests have to say and forming their own opinions.

March 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • marragor

I felt the exact same way until I started listening to her radio show on Sirrius. It was really, really good. I really missed it when she left for Chicago. She was funny and kind...like her "old" self. I hope she comes back to radio.

March 20, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rob

Bring back Discovery Fit & Health. It was far superior to the trash it's been replaced with.

March 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Donald Chump

Hey Rosie, you can always come on my show next season. Just give me a call. I always thought you were winner!!

March 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Carol gordon

Rosie. Will miss you. I really enjoyed your show with the audience. Please return!,

March 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flipper

Come on Rosie..we all know it's you that is posting as Carol Gordon....

March 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. PedieBink

Is anyone really surprised? Rosie O'Donnell has made a career out of being confrontational and angry. That type of energy does not have a long shelf life.

March 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corriebeth

Actually, for most of Rosie's career she was known as "The Queen of Nice". Unfortunately, three incidents have left people with the idea that she is a different person. I certainly would not want to be known for three arguements I had over my entire life. She has done a lot of good for children's charities. I hope she is remembered for that and not for making fun of Donald Trump, arguing with Elisabeth Hasselbeck and for asking Tom Selleck about the NRA's stance on why there isn't safer gun regulations (which occurred shortly after Columbine. I can understand her being upset over the deaths of many children).

April 9, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sunnygirl1

maybe it is time Oprah just went away. She nor her ego survived this last round, and, the audience has maybe finally had enough. We have all moved on since her leaving, so maybe it is time she did the same. How much money does one person need to have anyway??? Go help re-build some houses in New Orleans, or work for Habitat for Humanity in Haiti, SOMETHING that leaves us all with some knid of respect instead of a egotistical money grabbing materialistic individual who in the end, wasn't worth remembering anyway. Sorry for the strong words Oprah, time you upped the ante and did something!

March 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Atticus

I watched a few times, but it was the same ol same ol. I like her, maybe a few specials are in store. She should take a challenge & do DWTS....

March 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Louise

Oprah has lost her Midas touch. Her network has become a sinking ship. She should retire, write her book and enjoy the fruits of her labor. To be that wealthy and still have your health could be a blast. Maybe she will adopt a baby. Rosie should do the same while she still has some money before her new gold digging girlfriend gets it.

March 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ugh

Imagine that... No one wanted to listen to an overweight bull-d_ke. How does total failure/rejection taste, Rosie? Now do us a favor and go to Syria and openly protest gun control... THEY need it.

March 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Davidroa

I have never been one that watches Oprah, no disrespect intended, I stumbled in the Rosie and was pleasantly surprised at how good the show is. I really like the interviews. Rosie does and excellent job interviewing folks I do not typically see interviewed. Rosie an excellent very much underrated interviewer. I will miss the show.

March 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna B

I waited every night for 7pm so I could see Rosie on OWN..................I will sincerely miss her....I hope some other network picks her up because she is much better than "The Doctors"....Dr.Phil,....and others I could mention.
      maybe a 5pm time slot would have made a differance..........but the bottom line is.................I will really miss Her

March 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flatsguide

Knoch it off Rosie, we know it's you posting this. It's too late to save the show.

March 20, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  23. Notarosiefan

I haven't been a fan of Rosie's since I saw her at one of her last Grease shows on Broadway. It was obvious she wasn't interested anymore and she gave less than half a performance .. to the detriment of the rest of the cast. She is an opinionated joke whose 15 minutes of fame have long since been over. Oprah was kind to try to help her friend, but it's like trying to teach a pig to sing .. it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

March 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Hm...

So when is OWN getting canceled?

March 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  25. nbafan

Fat people like Adele and Rosie don't just slide... they tumble down the slope like the fat guy did in the movie Hook.

March 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

I thought you like them "Large and in Charge" nbafan? Slap on a strap on and you can pretend you are with your daddy!

March 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • holliday

What in the world does their looks or size have to do with anything?????

March 20, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Corriebeth

If you do not like Adele and Rosie that is your,opinion but to make fun of their weight and insinuate that is why they are "bad" shows your true lack of class. Personally, I enjoy Rosie but I do get that not everybody does. That is fine. Adele is one of the best singers OF ALL TIME. Again, not everyone has to like her but everyone has to admit that the woman has talent. Not just that but she is BEAUTIFUL!!! So she is full figured, big deal, it does not hurt her singing. Again, everyone has a right to their own opinion but to base that opinion on a person's weight is stupid, immature, shallow and very hurtful.

April 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Observer

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA ! ! ! Phat liberal stooge! Nice feet!

March 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Good riddance to a liberal drone without one redeeming quality. Maybe the taste of Americans is improving?

March 19, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeeper

I think they're called "hooves".

March 20, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |