Johnny Depp in 'Dark Shadows' trailer
March 16th, 2012

Johnny Depp in 'Dark Shadows' trailer

CNN's Henry Hanks has a theory: A movie without Johnny Depp wearing a wig and plenty of makeup ( *cough* "Rum Diary" *cough*), and you're taking your chances at the theater.

But put the man in some powder and eyeliner, and the odds that the movie will be good only go up from there.

We're hoping this theory holds true for Depp's upcoming "Dark Shadows," which once again pairs the actor with director Tim Burton.

In this film version of the retro ABC soap, Depp plays vampire Barnabas Collins, who resurfaces two centuries after being cursed by a witch to find himself in 1972.

Burton's take is clearly comedic, as we get to laugh at the usual '70s tropes - lava lamps, jokes about being stoned - and Barnabas' adjustment to the new era, all set to a '70s soundtrack. (They don't have horses, they have a Chevy; and Barnabas mistakes the television for "sorcery," leading to one of the best lines in the trailer: "Reveal yourself, tiny songstress!")

"Dark Shadows" arrives in theaters May 11. Will you be seeing it?

Filed under: Celebrities • movies • Trailer Park

1. watch battlefield america online

I think this is one of the so much vital information for me. And i am happy reading your article. However should observation on some common things, The website taste is ideal, the articles is in point of fact nice : D. Just right job, cheers

June 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. watch for greater glory movie online

My brother suggested I may like this web site. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann't imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

June 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. vonvon

i was really so excited to watch this when I knew it was Johnny Depp.. turned out to be a disappointing movie.. Was not really satisfied for it.. Hope Tim Burton creates a better one.. But hale for Johnny Depp, always great!

June 4, 2012 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. kingdom rush hacked games

It is in reality a great and useful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

June 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Buttoskosnovich

The best movie ever is.......................................................... Batman Parody!!!!!!!

May 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Buttoskosnovich

Hala MAdrid!!! Best team ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Over Gravity

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbIG0jJVEkM&w=640&h=390]

May 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jo

OKay. Probably going to be awesome for all Twi-hards and those who love Johnny Depp, but what about those who loved Dark Shadows? That was not a comedy. Now it is. Controversy, yes. Need to say HATE, no. See, some people are just wusses and don't know good comedy when they see it. Thank you. I'll be back for more.

May 4, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. zmopar1

I saw the pre release and it was horrible. A slap in the face to anyone on the original series. This movie should be banned by all fans of the original. It's a real shame to make crap like this and expect the people to pay and see it. I wouldn't watch it again if it were free on TV!!!!!

April 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cathi

I loved watching Dark Shadows growing up; I would rush home after school to watch. I think this movie looks great!

April 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Heywood

Since when is Dark Shadows a comedy? I used to watch Dark Shadows and was looking forward to a movie, but this........omg.... this is garbage and a disgrace to the series. Johnny Depp, I love your acting, but you should have said no to this script. No, this isn't a movie I'll ever see.

April 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. danielwalldammit

This sounds like an excellent Depp kinda movie.

April 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stephanie

Not like the orignal, but looks fun!! Long live Barnabas!!! Noone does it like Mr Frid

April 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. guitar

I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post's to be just what I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome site!

April 5, 2012 at 5:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Don

I'm a huge fan of Dark Shadows (I have the series on DVD, the albums, the Marilyn Ross novels) but I won't be seeing this movie. Dark Shadows is not a comedy. The trailer makes it look like the Addams Family with nothing but one-liners. Can't believe Barnabas is telling the family that he is a vampire. I don't think Entertainment Weekly will be giving the movie a good review.

April 4, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Peter Walukiewicz

I totally agree. I grew up watching 'Dark Shadows' as a kid in the 1970's. I thought it was great, that all of the other soap opera's had to compete with something, that us kids could really enjoy watching. I feel that Hollywood has finally run out of ideas! Dark shadows should not look like a comedy. I understand the Johnny Depp and Tim Burton partnership, but I am afraid that this comedic view of 'Dark shadows' will appeal only to those who are unfamiliar with the original.

April 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. PhilG.

Ha!Ha!Ha!

I laugh with you!Tim Burton and Johnny Depp.

Thank you so very much for NOT trying to imitate the classic '60's tv series.

I was scared to death you might strip it into the movie production food processor and come out with some commercially viable gruel for the masses.

This twisted vision is comic genius!

With the many of the same twisted actors and actresses who share your same viciously uncompromising vision of how you want to play this.

I cannot wait to laugh way down inside when I see this brilliance!

WELL DONE!

April 3, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. glassowater

Can't wait for this! The soap was always unintentionally hilarious to begin with.... :)

April 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  17. leepinlannie

porr johnny hadda drink gallons of green tea daily to lose weight for this movie.... thats why hes so skinny in it....he got down to 140 lbs........... johnny come to my house i feed ya lots of good food and we can then wrestle......... lmao..... ill let him pin me ANYDAY !! movie is gonna be a blast.......... love the way its twisted.......... im not STUCK in the past.... if ya only like the old DS plug in ur old blk and white tv and have a good time.....ill go see a 2012......... depp burton film....... which i loved em all....... love ya johnny.. ur the best !!!

March 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Bill

Michael Jackson lives!!!!! How did he get into a movie??

March 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jill

I think this movie looks like fun. I don't know how this became a political forum. :P

March 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. ROLLIN SD

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzLCu0Z46I&w=640&h=390]

March 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Observer1

i'm excited to see him in this role! he's not afraid to branch out in his acting.

March 19, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  22. Robbie W.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vALnRfYbP4&w=640&h=390]

March 19, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. aj

can't tell if he's copying the MIB-3 style.. but its just an old hoylwood cliche when they've run out of ideas. every director does it

March 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jamesnyc

If Depp played it darkly not comedically I might actually be interested but in this case, I will skip it. Burton/Depp gets tiresome Wonka stank.

March 18, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. rh

Really like Johnny Depp. Really like Dark Shadows.

The still shot of him in the white makeup is very bad. White is completely wrong for a vampire. You want sallow and shadowed and make the cheekbones etc. standout. He looks like a clown face. One thing that they had in the show was making Barnabas Collins a combination of "maybe 40" and "obviously hundreds of years old". They do it better in the movie.

I have to admit the voice is pretty good though. The comedic stuff gets to be campy, one of the best things about Dark Shadows was that Barnabas was a tormented soul who kept to himself. He would not be NEARLY as obvious as Johnny Depp portrays him (and Tim Burton directs I guess). I see him more as a straight man to the other members of the Collins family in the old show.

It's also a tired trope that someone of even moderate intelligence would immediately jump to crazy conclusions ("a tiny woman in the box!") as opposed to "wow, a moving painting" which any sane person not knowing of TV would expect. Did people think that painting were someone standing really still?

I'll watch it on reruns on TV, where it will be soon. If they don't get Dark Shadows fans, they have no one. And most people not familiar with the series will think "oh yawn, another vampire movie".

March 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. rc

I'm so glad I watched that preview. Now I've effectively seen the entire movie, in less than three minutes and for free.

March 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Martina

0:50 – is it just my imagination or is he imitating Bill Compton (True Blood)? :-D

March 18, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  28. slobro

I think Tim Burton wants to board Depp's ship and shiver his timbers.

March 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  29. barbara

As someone who watched the original "Dark Shadows," I can't wait to see Depp in this roll. He never cease to amaze me how he can transform himself into new characters.... a hallmark of a really good actor. This one I have to see. Can't wait.

March 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. tega

This movie will be a hit with every age group, except for those die hard Dark Shadows fans who won't accept change from the original series. I mean ..really...Tim Burton and Johnny Depp remake...what else would one expect???? We should not under estimate them. They have never made a movie that was not a box office success. We only saw a few minutes of comedy. This does not mean the whole movie is comedy. It looked a bit creepy to me and I like it.

March 16, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris Synfield

Apparently you didn't see Planet of the Apes.
      Even Depp couldn't have saved THAT POS.....

March 17, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  31. Danny

I viewed this trailer for Dark Shadows. I was a fan of the soap opera and enjoyed every episode. Dark Shadows was not a comedy it was a gothic drama, this is what made the story so interesting. I was very young (4th grade) when it came out. I was VERY dissapointed in this preview, no matter who is playing the part of Barnabas Collins. I agree with the comments made above concerning them trailer, it started out good then turned into something that seemed stupid. I will see the movie and I hope it is worth it

March 16, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mbme

This looks like great fun – Johnny Depp sure knows how to pick them – can't wait to see it! (And it's a Burton movie, too! Double good!)

March 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. eddy

wow does that look like garbage!!!

March 16, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MRS DEPP

ahhhh yes, my johnny has done it again............. he is by far one of THE best actors HOLLYWOOD has had since hollywood began............. he can do anything and because he does such off the wall parts sometimes is wonderful................ i cant wait to see this........... i think by far his best movie though was finding neverland......... what a great movie that was..... the man can do anything............. and i hope to see many many more movies of his in the years ahead............ HI OOOOOOO SILVER ! lone ranger looks to be a blast also.......... tontos not gonna be the rangers step and fetch it this time round...... plus he spent time with the tribe before filming..... he is a quarter cherokee blood , so he will do right by the natives.......... love ya honey !!

March 16, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Matt Black

I'm so conflicted about this movie!! I'm an old Dark Shadows fan from way, way back and after seeing this trailer I don't know whether to hate this movie with a passion or absolutely laugh my azz off from the sheer, delightful absurdity of it.

March 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • mbme

I am a old Dark Shadows fan too, looks too campy to even TRY to bring back the DS story of our time. So I am just going to laugh, enjoy the special effects and....Johnny Depp!

March 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  36. GlassHalfFull

Dark witty humor and plenty of one-liners from Depp. Looks like a potential hit if the story holds together well and other characters are not completely overshadowed (intentional pun) and show some depth. Even so...it looks like it's just in time for mother's day weekend (great for those moms & daughters who love Depp). I wonder what would Barnabas say about the movies? ;-D

March 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. @karojen

I had to scroll down most of your comment b/c you went on & on & on. I bet you make ppl leave a room.

March 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Tracie

hi gais!

March 16, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  39. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWCGocD56Q&w=640&h=390]

March 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rebbeca

Can't wait! Depp is truely the best Actor in hollywood.

March 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Damn. There's Sadie posting as Rebbeca... I thought we were rid of her once and for all. :(

March 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Observer

Oh yeah, I forgot. She's the only female in the world who liked Johnny Depp. Who's the twitbag now, Observer. Try pushing your hate someplace else. By the way, I don't think this is Observer, either. He'd have called her a liberal b..... Troll on little buddy!

March 16, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Missfitz099

Why the crud are you here then?

March 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Observer

All right, I'll admit I'm a liberal stooge!!

March 16, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  43. zinna

Of course he's skinny – he has been sleeping for 200 years!

March 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Alecia

He looks too skinny. I think he needs to get some meat on his bones.

March 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • leepinlannie

he had to lose lbs for movie. he drank gallons of green tea a day to get down to a mere 140 lbs....... aw poor baby he can come eat some pizza with me.lol

March 21, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Fritzy

I just love Johnny Depp! I get shivers just thinking about him!! There is just not a part that he can't play. I wish he would play Fritzy's little slave pirate boy for a day. Now, that really gives me shivers. Shiver me timbers, Johnny!

March 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Pinnochio

If we had good time in jail, they had that whole soap opera on vhs and we would get to watch one episode a week. Yea, I will go see this when it comes out, the sopa opera was killer.

March 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mary Reyes

I sure will, I loved dark shadows as a kid!!! can't wait

March 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dave

He looks like Lindsay Lohan if she lost about 200 pounds.

March 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. ruby650

Always wondered why Johnny Depp doesn't do makeup tutorial vids on youtube...

March 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Tyrecsha

Woooo Kirsten Stewart got a hair cut ! She looks better !

March 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Observer

*Sigh!* More ghey liberal crud.

March 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo

More illiterate comments from conservative morons.

March 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • karojen

I think that Depp is a complete Artiste, and that while he has the looks and magnetism to be THE leading man in Hollywood, his forte is really character acting. Commentators like to remark about his preference for make up, strange hair and odd ball characters. I imagine that is because no one else in the world could act convincingly in these parts that he has made famous.

The world has enough depressing characters, or comedians, or dumb frat boy types. I love Depps total escapist movies and will go see anything he acts in [except maybe the new 21 Jump Street] that movie looks too slapstick for me and since I really was a fan of the original Jump Street, [from what I see on the clips] this remake does not do the original justice and I'm actually teed off that they "ruined" that show. There are many young adults who never saw the original and who will see this dumb version and think the original was dumb also. I thought the original was well acted, by all of the stars, the episodes had some humor and great chemistry with DeLuis and Depp but they also had drama and action and had a great message to young people about drugs.

Anyway, I cannot wait to see Dark Shadows. I know the trailer is comedic, but from what I've read that Depp has said, he does not like modern vampires, but loved Nosferatu and Dracula and loved the original Barnabus. I suspect there will be some very dark scenes and Depp as Barnabus will not be only humerous, but not always a good guy.

My favorite movie with Depp is Sleey Hollow. That movie was humorous, but scary too.

March 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

Please, just burn in hell.

March 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • yahmez

'Atlas Shrugged' bombed, because it was ghey conservatard crud.

March 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Observer,

Right next to the 'Reply' button, is the 'Report Abuse' button.

Since your posts are the most boring crud in the history of the internet, does that qualify as abuse?

Oh....and guess what!

FOUR

YEARS!

Suck on that, republican d-bag.

March 19, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Again Hollywood you ruin a classic

March 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • dick norris

your penis tastes like ice cream

April 3, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |