'30 Rock': 'Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Dummy'
March 16th, 2012

'30 Rock': 'Happy St. Patrick’s Day, Dummy'

It’s easy to forget that “30 Rock” is more than a just joke machine (because the jokes are so good!), but what makes it a truly great show is the humanity of the characters (yes, even not-certified-human Kenneth).

So when Tracy said, “It sure is rewarding as a TV viewer when someone you’re invested in shows growth,” it was a nice summation of an episode in which even perpetual dummy Dennis Duffy has evolved.

Tracy and Jenna were set to host NBC’s St. Patrick’s Day parade, but Hazel reignited their rivalry when she showed them a promo that gave Jenna top billing. Pete explained, “we don’t let them watch NBC. Jenna thinks that Christina Aguilera lost her voice during childbirth.”

Liz, on the other hand, planned to avoid celebrating “Ireland’s great accomplishments, like Michael Lohan and vomiting into a bagpipe,” altogether.

But Dennis Duffy, “former lover of Liz’s,” showed up at her door injured. (“I tried to steal beer from a Duane Reade and some black guy cold cocked me.” Criss: “Like a security guard?” Dennis: “I don’t know pal. I don’t see people that way.”)

Liz was convinced that Dennis the Terminator would drive a wedge in her relationship. But when he said, “we need to talk. Open up a bag of wine,” he confessed he had just returned from his honeymoon at Sea World. That’s right, Dennis the Beeper King Rat King Laser Disk King got married!

At the office, Jack ran into Frank. “None of the writers can go out on St. Patrick’s Day because we all have faces people naturally just want to punch.”

So Jack joined their game of Colonizers of Malaar, funneling his career frustrations into the fantasy world. He had an epiphany: “It doesn’t matter if I’m on the windblown dunes of Croff, or the fluorescent lit boardrooms of 30 Rockefeller Center. I will create something from nothing!”

And while Kenneth has a new job, his heart is still at TGS. Using some Page-tested trickery, he made sure Jenna and Tracy ended the episode hand-in-hand.

As for Liz, it turns out she can change too. She and Dennis have always had a special connection, albeit one fueled by her cruelest and most self-destructive tendencies. But the romance is finally gone, and has turned into something resembling friendship.

Dennis motivated Liz to express her feelings to his bang brother Criss. She finally told him “nice stuff, like greeting card stuff.” And with a little more encouragement from Criss, she even said “I love you.”

Did you appreciate last night’s character evolution?

Post by:
Filed under: 30 Rock • television • TV recaps

1. Xiangfengi Susyj

Please upload new video clips related to cooking if you have, for the reason that I would like to learn more and more concerning all recipes of cooking.

July 29, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. river isles punggol

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So i am happy to show that I've an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I such a lot undoubtedly will make certain to do not put out of your mind this website and provides it a glance regularly.

May 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pepe

Have you ever considered crteniag an e-book or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

April 23, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. alicia k.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vALnRfYbP4&w=640&h=390]

March 19, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdpjdymWalg&w=640&h=390]

March 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marie

I didn't like last night's character evolution. I thought it was confusing. Why didn't they show the cigar smoking dog and talking baby? That Lil Stewie just makes the show.

March 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alecia

When they are fresh from the oven and stil warm you can spread some butter in them. Nothing is better than 2 or 3 dozen hot buttered dinner rolls.

March 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alecia fan

Yo Alecia. Sounds good. I will be there for dinner for sure. I will butter your muffin with my sticky spoo. Then I will pump your plump rump with my big ol stump. Sounds like the donuts got you al chunky...just like I like em. I have been chubby chaser for years...

March 16, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

"Chubby Chaser" is a g a y man's term for chasing other chubby g a y men! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

March 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Alecia

I don't know. Probably eat a couple dozen doughnuts then put a turkey in the oven for supper. I can east most of a 12 pound one. May make a dozen or so dinner rolls to go with it. I likes me some dinner rolls.

March 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pinnochio

I am having some green beer tomorrow to celebrate, what you doing?

March 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |