Jon Hamm on Kim K. comment: It wasn't personal
March 14th, 2012

Jon Hamm on Kim K. comment: It wasn't personal

Kim Kardashian didn't take kindly to Jon Hamm's assertion that she's among those who are celebrated for being stupid, but the "Mad Men" actor says his remarks in a recent interview weren't a personal attack.

In the April issue of Elle UK, Hamm said that when it comes to celebrities like Kardashian and Paris Hilton, "stupidity is certainly being celebrated," as "being a f*****g idiot is a valuable commodity in this culture."

When Kardashian got wind of what he said, she tweeted that she found it to be "careless" commentary.

But Hamm said at PaleyFest Tuesday that he's surprised anyone paid attention to his statements at all.

The "Kardashian thing," he said to The Hollywood Reporter, "that's its own animal...We live in a world now where every word is micro-parsed and sometimes taken out of context, sometimes misunderstood. But also, there's a lot of outlets now. Everyone has a blog or a cable news show or an online presence or something. There's a lot of outlets and those outlets need to be fed."

He added to E! News that he was just commenting on culture as a whole.

"I don't know Ms. Kardashian, I know her public persona," the actor said. "What I said was meant to be more on pervasiveness of something in our culture, not personal, but she took offense to it and that is her right."

The fifth season of "Mad Men" will kick off on AMC March 25.

Filed under: Celebrities • Kardashians • Mad Men

« Previous entry
  1. Kathleen

People are lame looking up to this fake hippo or should I say beach whale. Everything is fake from her body to her personality.

April 23, 2013 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Keeley Herrell

Products like skin creams, gels. or lotions are a mixture of chemicals that have a biological action, applied topically to the skin. So the effectiveness depends on whether the active ingredients work, and whether they are absorbed properly into your skin. Your skin’s temperature, hydration, environment and other factors will influence your skin’s ability to absorb the active ingredients in a product. To be sure that you get optimal effectiveness of you skin care products:-

Current article provided by our own internet site
    <="http://www.caramoan.ph/caramoan-package/

April 13, 2013 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Discounted Conference Calling

I savor, cause I found just what I used to be taking a look for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

May 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. exposed skin care work

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue with your web site in web explorer, could check this? IE still is the marketplace chief and a big element of other folks will omit your wonderful writing because of this problem.

April 14, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. review

Hello my family member! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all important infos. I'd like to see extra posts like this .

April 3, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Deez

The Kardashian's, Hilton, Snookie's...etc, are just fads and add to a long list of people that are living the life. Their fame will eventually run its course.

March 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dial-A-Bank

This Is a Very Good Sharing Blog And Also Very Interesting..

For latest Updates Regarding Update Income Tax Slabs, Please Visit Us At:

March 16, 2012 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. Maria

Why is he apologizing? he told the true,this woman or Paris don't deserve any apologies,many people int his forum and others say bad things about her ,things than are true,and why she was ofended? did she forgot she is what he said? did she forgot how come she became famous? we all know how and we will not forget,her brain doesn't work well really.I will not apologize .Now after the apologize she is feeling a lady a diva!

March 15, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nbafan

Ummm... have you not heard of Mad Men, Dor-kid? He could buy you and still have millions left over –AND– he has a huge bulge! Jelly? Only ghey men and brainless chicks like Kardashian and Hilton. Loser!

March 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

Uhhhhh. Hamm, is it???? You don't know Ms. Kardashian, and you don't know about her persona?????? Two things.... what planet are you from, and secondly, if you don't know about her, then how come in your comment you mention her name???? You commented, "Whether it's Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashia or whoever, stupidity is certainly celebrated?????" Does that really make sense? You don't know about her, yet you use her name randomly in your comments???? What are you, mentally retarded????? Go back to your $10/hr job, and go bury yourself in your closet.... I'm Team Hilton and Kardashian!!!!

March 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sweetcaramel

@ curly you said it... Luv it. I'm just sayin.. Lol.. Eliquently put.

March 15, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. sweetcaramel

I've never looked foward to reading comments the way I do with cnn.com the people are funny and ignorant as hell and I thought I would see intellectual comments and debates, instead I get this, well keep em coming enjoying the laughs.. ps. Is there a place to find intellegant comments on the http://www..????

March 15, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. nbafan

Again, Google Hamm + Bulge! :O

March 15, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. nbafan

Show him from the waist down, DAMMIT! I wanna see the HUGE man-bulge!!!

March 15, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. OBSERVER1

THERE IS NOTHING PERSONAL ABOUT THIS AT ALL...STICK TO IT HAMM.

March 15, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. Memz

Sounded pretty personal to me.

He should have never said anything about her in the first place because it just makes him look bad - even though I agree with him 100 percent. If he's asked a question about them just say, "I don't watch their show, I don't know much about them, let's move on." Otherwise it not only wreaks of ratings envy but also brings him down to their level, which is what he doesn't want.

By back pedaling he's only digging himself deeper.

March 15, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • OBSERVER1

HE'S NOT DIGGING INTO ANYTHING DEEPER..ITS TOTALLY BUSINESS..AND IF KIM CAN HANDLE IT SHE CANNOT HANDLE COMMENTS BEING SAID TO HER THEN SHE SHOULD GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS OR WHATEVER IT IS SHE DOES ALL DAY.

March 15, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Memz

You're not a very good observer.

March 15, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. CN Red

Stick to your guns, Hamm.

March 15, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. Booo

I agree it's "not personal" since being stupid in the persona she presents to make money. Now If Hamm attacked some obscure thing about her that no one knew, like she had butt acne as a teen, that's personal.

March 15, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  19. ROLLIN SD

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzLCu0Z46I&w=640&h=390]

March 15, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. Susan

Jon, you mentioned her name, and it wasn't personal?? Be a man and stick to your words. Don't make it look like Kim K. interpret it wrong. You know damn right that the comment you made was personal.

March 14, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I'm with you Susan. I left a comment for Hamm too.... it doesn't make any sense that he uses Kim's name in his comments, and says it wasn't personal. The guy is deluisonal or something. I love KIm! I love Paris too!!!! Team Kardashian and Team Hilton!

March 15, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Perkiest

He knew exactly what he was saying when he said it, else he wouldn't have even bothered saying it, unless he wants to pull some kind of drunk card, or drugs card, or cancer card to excuse his remarks. Anyway, he's only trying to sanitize those comments after the fact to minimize any potential blow back. Hollywood's a small town.

March 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

I don't mind at all that he called Kim K. idiot, if this is the way he sees it. It is his trying to make light of his own words that annoys me.

March 15, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  22. Sara

Right on Jon - we absolutely do live in a culture that celebrates and rewards stupidity and amorality and Kim K. is one of the stupid amorals. In a way it is not her fault; we teach kids that being rich and famous represents the meaning of life and being a good American. This used to mean you were supposed to be good at something. Now simply being good at shameless self-promotion is considered an art form. Most ridiculously of all we then wonder why American society is falling apart. Duh.

March 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gold Dust Woman

I never had a problem with the Kardashians until they had the nerve to air the "break down" of the so-called marriage last fall. Kim comes across as one of the most spoiled, selfish and ridiculous people ever seen. I have much more sympathy for Kris Humphries; he was in a no win situation, married to a circus freak and her travelling group of clowns. This woman needs a dose of reality – perhaps exchanging her wonderful life for that of a single mother working as a nursing assistant to support her children. She would be the type to have a supposed back injury in the first five minutes, and would probably be abusive to the residents as well. Yuck.

March 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Waffle McFluff

She might be dumb as a box of rocks, but I'd love to lay some pipe in her poop chute.

March 14, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. brenda

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4syY4i3ZM&w=640&h=390]

March 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TJ

I don't care for Kim or Paris, but Hamn should've directed his comments towards the media and fans, esp. the media.

March 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • mrskool

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Exactly !! All this Kardashian bashing is so off base. Reality TV is not the cause of societys fall from grace but the result of it ! You get what you ask for and the media gives the fans what they want. I think Jon Hamm is just jealous that he doesnt get all the attention or money that it generates.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

March 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

First, Mr. NotSoCool, Hamm would be envious, not jealous (education: a terrible thing to waste). Second, he's respected by millions of fans, so long after that lottery-winning Kardashian fades away into her middle age, Hamm will likely still be acting, making money, and winning the accolades of new fans who haven't even been born yet. Just watch.

March 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Alecia

I'm jealous of all living things. I wish my a55 was like kim's. when i look in the mirror i c me a55 hanging under my chin en fat hanging everywhere. my hole body not even in mirror cuz me so granda

March 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Diana

He is so right-good for him for saying what many of us are thinking!

March 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. observer

wow he's adorable!

March 14, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  29. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRdp-J5Ia_Q&w=640&h=390]

March 14, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT0idw89dQw&w=640&h=390]

March 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shirl the Pearl

OMG..that was sooo funny and she surely does bring up a couple good points. We outta give Vanessa Williams back her crown. haha And John Hamm is a very smart witty fellow. I cannot say the same for Kim ..she made herself into a joke all on her own, trying to have a claim to fame by having a big butt, being a spoiled idiot, and flaunting your ignorance and greedy life style for the world to see. She cannot seriously be taken aback that now people veiw her as a talentless nobody, who spent millions on a fake wedding to get attention. If she really wanted to get positive attention the take a hint for other celebs that have causes that help people, those millions she wasted on that tacky fake wedding could have helped so many and saved lives. John Hamm only stated the obvious.

March 15, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Justin

@Observer: Kardashian a liberal?? Doubtful - I'm sure she votes Republican to ensure she pays as little tax as possible on her millions. Hamm, on the other hand, he's an intelligent artist and therefore pretty likely a liberal ...

March 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Observer

Kardashian is a liberal stooge, and you cannot blame Hamm for calling it as he sees it. Btw, "Mad Men" is the best written show on the air. Period.

March 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Curly

In other news, Jon Hamm is also a "liberal stooge." On a related note, the term "liberal" is not as insulting as it used to be. Alas, those glory days are gone my redneck friend. These days, "ignorant right-wing moron" is the new "liberal stooge," Kim K. embodies the median IQ of the republican voting block, and you/everyone you love is about as relevant to an intelligent public discourse as a cheese sandwich. Just sayin'.

March 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You again? I'm not sure there is another commenter on CNN.com who has made more inane and s t u p i d comments than you have. Calling her a "liberal stooge" when Hamm himself is a dyed-in-the-wool liberal himself? You're proof positive that the average Republican is not only heartless and soulless, but brainless as well.

March 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Both of you are stupid for arguing politics in article that has nothing to do with libs/conservatives...validating Jon's point about being celebrated for stupidity. Congratulations.

March 15, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  33. Girlcrush

Good for you, Jon! I love that he's not back-pedaling and taking back his comment!

March 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Did you not read the article? Or were you being sarcastic? Of course he's back-pedaling. Not "personal"? SInce when is directly calling someone "stupid" not personal. I like this guy, but he should have just stood by his very true statement and moved on.

March 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Totally agree John, this "not personal" business is just lame,lame, lame.

March 15, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |