Charlize Theron adopts a son
March 14th, 2012

Charlize Theron adopts a son

Charlize Theron is known for playing a safe-cracker, a serial killer and a super-hero, but the Oscar winner recently signed on for a different role.

The South African actress, who last appeared in Diablo Cody’s “Young Adult,” is a new mom.

“Charlize Theron has adopted a child,” her publicist told CNN. “She is the proud mom of a healthy baby boy named Jackson.”

We’re not sure if Jackson is currently the only man in Theron’s life or not, but, as the actress has said, she has no intentions of walking down the aisle.

When telling CNN’s Piers Morgan why she supports gay marriage in June 2011, the actress said, “I don’t (think I’ll ever get married),” adding, “I treat my relationships like marriages.”

Theron’s next film, “Snow White and the Huntsman,” will hit theaters on June 1. She plays the evil queen alongside Kristen Stewart (Snow White) and Chris Hemsworth (The Huntsman).

Filed under: Celebrities

1. nelly99

White children without disabilities have no problems getting adopted in this country. Minorities in the U.S. are more difficult to place. I have no idea why she decided to adopt an African American child, but they are among the neediest and helping a needy child is one the many beautiful things about adoption.

March 18, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ann in Vancouver, BC

lol....I have one thing to say...ok maybe three...

1) SHE is in fact, from Africa – not the child. She is a white woman from Africa who has adopted a black child from the US. Id love to see how this is going over in South Africa, lol.

2) There is NO doubt that little Jackson will be raised by a line of nannies and not by this woman. I can only hope that the nannies will also be black to help little Jackson connect with his own heritage and culture as he grows up.

3) I am also sick of Hollywood people adopting children – period. You can't tell me that ALL these people were unable to produce their own children. On the surface it may appear that these people are doing some humanitarian act but it's just for publicity and that is very unfortunate for the HUMAN BEINGS they bought...oops...I mean adopted.

I was unable to have my own children and decided that adoption was not an option .
    Adoption shouldn't be an accessory OR a "second choice". These are people we are talking about here, not
    purses or shoes.

March 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. hrminy

Jeez. People are SO nasty about stuff like this! Why? Hollywood celebrities have as much right as anyone else to have kids. I'm quite sure they have as much available time for their kids as the average two-job couple, if not more. And it's their business why they may have chosen to adopt. My husband and I adopted our second child because we didn't feel the need to breed again when there are lots of kids out there who need homes. LIke Charlize, we adopted a baby born in the US, and he black (we are white). Those who think this is some kind of "fashion statement" really don't know what they are talking about. One of the first things you learn in the adoption process is that there are waiting lists years long for white babies for adoption, but there is a great need for loving families for non-white kids. Our child was placed with us within a few weeks of finishing our paperwork. While I don't judge anyone's choices when it comes to adoption or child-having, for us adopting a child of color was a no-brainer and just the right thing to do. I wonder what those who are so critical of Charlize have done to provide a better life for a child in need?

March 16, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. maria

Ha ! this kid grandma killed Charlize's father ,so grandma has a record lol lol lol !

March 15, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. maria

Is he Black and from Africa? well that is why all them adopt kids ,it is STATUS QUO! is part of the Hollywood lifestyle...how sad and how many children we have in this Country to be adopted but they go to China(they are smarter they said) or Africa ,and not the American kids .When Angleine Jolie adopt her first son ,her hubby went off immediately I hope this not happen to this one!

March 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • hrminy

The article says quite clearly that Charlize's child was born in the US.

March 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GaPeach

I wish they had shown a pic of Jackson! Would love to see him. She is a gorgeous woman and I applaud anyone who adopts a kid!

March 15, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

Why? she is white he is probably black from Africa..he for sure will don't look like her.......such a a brown noses in this site make me SICK!

March 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kim

Good Lord there are some negative, miserable people on this planet. I guess you would prefer to see these kids raised in poverty or in the system. SMDH!! Unbelievable, if this is any indication of what is going on in America, we are obviouslly cornering the market on misery. Stop worrying about what the rich does and worry about how to get yourselves out of your holes.

March 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

Do you notice that every kid this women adopt are BLACK? or Chinese? why? because they said the chineses are smarter ,the Africans because is part of the STATUS QUO.is that love or caring ? I don't think so ,what about the millions of American kids here in this Country who really need to be adopted? are those kids not the right ones? they are not part of the status quo? just think ..they all adopt because it makes them look better is part of their PR's don't come with the baloney that we are haters or negatives we know what is and for is when this women adopt a African kid or a Chinese kid you now and we know! and is SAD! a kid is a kid looking for loving parents and by the way the ones who raise this adopted kids are the NANNIE's.

March 15, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mark

I want to be breastfed by her... uuuurrrrhhhh or can it be better by Adelle?

March 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mark Smith

To bad, she could have made beautiful babies. Good for the kid though. Jackson Theron? Everyone will assume he is black.
    Who knows, maybe he is since she is from South Africa.

March 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Natalie

Holy crap this board is rough. Seriously, so much negativity! Charlize is one of the more stable actresses in Hollywood, she stays out of the mainstream, and has her head on straight. Why shouldn't she want to have children? I think the baby is lucky to get a mother like her, and not one of the other starlets he could have gotten. SO much jealousy and pettiness. It is really sad to see how low the public opinion is becoming. Its pathetic actually.

March 15, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • moon627

Exactly ! Thank you for sharing some words of wisdom

March 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • EEB

Very well said. When I started reading the nasty comments to this story it floored me. CNN's "Entertainment" page has a posting about an actor adopting a son – an actor that none of these people know anything about – and they make these rude and spiteful comments... some even going so far as to try and make it a political discussion. Hey all you negative folks out there – worry about how you live your life and stop judging people.

March 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cassie

Wonderful. Yet another Hollywood actor has jumped on the adoption bandwagon. Who's raising this little boy? Theron or a nanny?

March 15, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • stella

Do you really care whether its Theron or nanny raising the boy? Have you adopted a child and raising on your own? Whether she gets help or does it on her own – is her own decision. She doesn't need to explain to you.

March 15, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

would you prefer a group home or the foster care system?

March 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

The nannie's of course she did it to be part of the STATUS and became a Hollywood one! without adopted child is not being part of the scheme!

March 15, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Observer

that's great!

March 15, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Janine

None of you seem to know this woman at all, yet you seem willing to make judgments about how she adopted (like she didn't wait for years, which she may well have done); her parenting choices (like you know she's going to have a nanny when she's probably still making decisions), etc. Just because the internet means you can make comments anonymously doesn't mean that you should say things that are cruel and based on no facts whatsoever. I know plenty of middle class and working class people who have adopted (so if you haven't, don't use that as an excuse); I know single men who have adopted (so if you haven't, don't use that as an excuse); I know people who have adopted infants in their late 40s (so if you haven't, don't use that as an excuse). Being really, really bitter–that is a disqualifying characteristic for prospective parents, I would think.

March 15, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Cassie

And you're assuming that this child will live a wonderful life with a wonderful woman. Right. You know her just as well as the rest of us here. Just remember, most Hollywood actors/actresses have at least 1 nanny per child – sometimes 2. Do you have any idea what it's like to be raised by a nanny and to have absentee parents? Well, I do. My "parents" adopted me when my "mom" was in her late 40's, my "dad" in his early 50's. I rarely saw my parents. My "mom" was too busy with her social calendar and my "dad" was always away on business trips. My "mom" became any nanny that was employed with my family at the time. Did I grow up feeling loved? Absolutely not. Do I have an emotional connection to my adoptive parents? None whatsoever. I would really love to believe that this child will be raised by a loving mother, but I have serious doubts.

March 15, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. aj

she can adopt me anytime lol

March 15, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. ROLLIN SD

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CzLCu0Z46I&w=640&h=390]

March 15, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. ISSHeALezzy

Why would she adopt... Is she lesbian?

March 14, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jason83

I'd give anything to be her son. Dam, I wish turn back the clock! She is one hot mama!

March 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  18. KidsNeedAMomAndADad

Kids need a mother AND a father. Not 2 mommies. Not 2 daddies. Not just a single Hollywood diva who's already announced that marriage is not for her. Charlize should've gotten a puppy instead.

March 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • LostinSLC

Except the real world does not exist in your perfect bubble. The fact is any type of parent is the perfect type or combination as long as the child is loved and cared for

March 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. brenda

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik4syY4i3ZM&w=640&h=390]

March 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Nancy Jean

I am an adoptive mother as well as a birth mother. Don't think it is easy to have a child grow up under your roof who has no indigenous relationship to you. Your reactions and their are no match and yet as the love grows you are the mother and that is your child.
    I bless Charlize for undertaking a task that is so needed and seldom done. Only 1% of the world's children who need parents ever get adopted.
    To the critics on this page go stand in front of the mirror until you see yourself as you really are, exactly like those who obstruct a woman's right to choose but never take in foster children or adopt.

March 14, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Chris

And why, exactly, is this news?

March 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tracy

What african country is her son from exactly ?

March 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Cara Doubois

So beautiful

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjBYp94fSU&w=640&h=390]

March 14, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dkva76

Why does this article even mention about her view on gay relationships? Is this a hint hint on the part that she is or might be a lesbian? Which Jackson did she adopt?

March 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Steve-O

IIf I only had known about her adoption plans sooner I would have put myself up for adoption. I am good looking complete with "benefits".

March 14, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Rod C. Venger

There seems to be some weird assumption that if she were to walk down the aisle that it would be with a man. I think she's a closet king and is afraid of the light.

"I treat my relationships (plural there) like marriages.

Uh, no you don't. If you had half the character that you pretend to, that would not have been a plural word.

March 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. justicefor7

URGENT – Please read more about VERIZON. Things they don't want the public to know! I was tormented by racial comments that were ignored, then racially discriminated against and wrongfully terminated for making complaints about the racial injustice.
    Please visit my Blog Page to see what Verizon did to my family. What they have done to my family, and continue to do is horrific. Today they still will not accept responsibility. So I will not stop this FIGHT for JUSTICE! It has been 8 years and I refuse to give up!
    You can read my stories about what VERIZON did to my family by GOOGLING:
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Cover Letter”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Press Release”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Requesting Criminal Punishment”

From there you can access the other letters through the recent post.

I am a man who has stood up against racism, discrimination, bullying, harassment, hostile environment, belittlement, threats, and retaliation, all while working for Verizon Communications, as they conspired to terminate me.

I am a man who is trying to hold his family together while in the process of trying to fight for my rights to be heard. I am a man who has brought up his family on morals, discipline, character, hard work, dedication and conviction to believe that good things happen to good people. I am a man who could not be more proud of my family for all their trust and faith in my conviction. I am man who is a proud servant in my community and deserves to be heard, as I am begging for JUSTICE!

I have learned that: “If you have no Money, A lot of Power, unlimited amount of Connection and resources, you have no chance at receiving justice within our country!

Even though I know this to be true, that justice of only for the few, I refuse to allow Verizon to beat me! I will fight them until I die. I will never give up, I will let the world know of the abuse I suffered and the lack of justice I have received.

Neal W. Dias

March 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dany

Where I can read your storie. Good luck and I wish you the best. I'm very interested . Thank you

March 14, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
      • justicefor7

Dany,

You can read my story at, "justicefor7.wordpress.com." Thank you so much!

Neal

March 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

Is this has to do with Charlize Theron adopting a child?

March 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  28. IU = winning

We could have a great mother son relationship

March 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  29. IU = winning

Wish she were open to adopting a underpaid 32 yr old.

March 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SophieCat

I wish some rich, self-absorbed, over-indulgent liberal would adopt ME. Why did I have to be the one who got parents who expected me to work for a living?

Why can't I be the one who gets to laze around Hollywood all day long, running up and down the roads in my expensive car that Mommy paid for and buy hundreds of pairs of shoes and sunglasses and party all the time?

I hope in my next life I get more MONEY than self-respect; this business of being a self-sufficent, fully-functioning, responsible adult sure does take up a lot of my time.

In my next life I want to be a Kardashian.

March 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tdrknt1

Wow you have to be a liberal to have lazy children. I know a lot of conservatives that are rich with lazy children. Funny thing is to that if she adopted a animal everyone would have said awe how cute. The most interesting thing is that none of us know her as a person and are judging her on status. Selflessness is the true judge of a character not there profession. Boy have we turned into a selfish society.

March 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I have read it 3 times and am still confused. "Why can't I be the one who goes to work instead of rehab, who stays on a budget instead of drugs, and why do I have to spend my time worrying about my elderly parents and my brother and his family instead of thinking only of me me ME?!?" To me it sounds like you go to rehab instead of work and you would like to be on a budget rather than being on drugs?! Someone please tell me...am I seeing this right? Lol!

March 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blair '74

I've done the hard work thing for twenty years now,I don't thing i'd mind the rich thing I mean driving my new Ferrari down Lake Shore Drive in my Armani suit and Gucci shades come on people hard work is so overrated now let me go clean my bathroom and iron my work clothes for tomorrow,don't get me wrong I am grateful for a job and a place to nice place to stay,but it's nice to think about being rich at times.

March 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  31. moon627

i wish i'd been raised by a rich celebrity with all the benefits of wealth and prosperity. Lucky kid !

March 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mreese

what a beautiful person inside and out.. And i applaud her for adopting child.. and are they who judge her judge yourself first.... JUst a woman's jealousy that she is all the things you'd wish you could be.. And my last thing is I wish her the best in her venture.. You can have stay home moms working moms and yet children can go a stray.. As long as their loved thats important..

March 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • GORILLAFINGERS

are you retarded?

March 14, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • nacho mama

I agree with Gorillafingers. Charlize the Goddess is very tall and slim but she looks great in this photo. Not skinny, not hefty, just normal except for being drop-dead beautiful. And given Theron's personal history, I think she'll make a very loving mother.

March 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. GORILLAFINGERS

Look at the pic! her fantastic pose! The Skeletor cheekbones! The Karen Carpenter diet is working well!

March 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Holly

i think that it is great that she is giving a child who doesn't have a family a home.

March 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • nwatcher

No 'home' here – just a bunch of babysitters. She should have bought a stuffed toy to carry around or some jewelry

March 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • tracy

a kid that does not have a home ? there were probably 20 couple trying to get this kid. Theron and her money won out most likely

March 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. EricLr

Funny how a rich celebrity can adopt a kid even if they're single and are gone on movie shoots for most of the year. If one of us nobodies tried that, they would laugh at us.

March 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • April

Doesn't matter if you're a psycho like her that no man can stand. If you can afford a full time nanny or two, a gourmet cook, a chauffeur, and are beautiful, well, then, I'm sure you could adopt a child tomorrow, too.

March 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat F

You are right, Eric. My husband and I, happily married and stable, are prevented from adopting because of our ages (52 and 59), but believe me, if we had the dough, there would be no questions asked.

March 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raine

So true, if you are a wealthy or well known person you are able to adopt an infant easily.....older couples or middle to low income people have great difficulty adopting an infant since many unwed women especially young women are keeping their infants. Sandra Bullock was fortunate enough to adopt beautiful infant Louis without having a husband or father figure. There are many "single parents" i.e. divorced or unwed raising infants today. In Louis' case, he is a black infant, so who will be his role model to help him understand his black heritage?

March 14, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barbara

No, they would take our kids away from us & say we're unfit parents. I agree this is just another designer kid accessory.

March 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carl

The rich and famous are always held to a different standard. There's no way child services would let me adopt and keep a child if I was gone for long stretches. Hell, as a male it might not even matter if I had a lot of wealth.

March 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

Yeah, it's too bad adoption agencies assume that wealth and/or fame automatically makes someone a good parent...anyone else has to jump through hoops of fire.

March 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Bob A. Booey

Great...another designer kid...the latest Hollywood fashion accessory.

March 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

There are a lot of horrible parents out there. Go fix them before blaming a new mom without any proof she's a bad mom. I would guess she's going to be a great mom based on her very close relationship with her mom.

March 14, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • dkva76

"designer kid" – is this a new word or dd you come up with this? good one

March 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • trumod

I'd have gone with "living accessory" or " Mommie Dearest: The Twenty First Century", but designer kid is good.

March 14, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Perkiest

What colour does this designer model kiddie come in ?

March 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • pennylane

Adopting kids and pregnancies are the new Hollywierd accessories.....

March 15, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |