'The Big Bang Theory' causes a scene
March 9th, 2012

'The Big Bang Theory' causes a scene

It was going to be such a fun, geeky weekend, and then it all went horribly awry.

Thursday night's "Big Bang Theory" saw Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Raj planning to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic" non-stop for 48 hours (as Raj put it, "It's on like Alderaan!"). But Amy informed the group that Sheldon couldn't join them as they had plans to go to her aunt's birthday party.

The writers certainly had fun with a "whip cracking" app, which the guys used to torment Sheldon.

Howard has a little advice for Sheldon: "You're a grown man. Act like one. Tell Amy you want to spend the weekend having a sleepover and playing video games with your friends!"

Sheldon ended up having that fun weekend, but then Bernadette showed up to play with the guys, and she was all "pew-pew-pew" noises.

In the meantime, Amy went to Penny for advice herself. She explained the attraction to Sheldon: "He's handsome, he's lanky, he's brilliant and his skin has the pale, waxy quality."

Penny told her to try the only tactic in her arsenal: cause a scene. But Amy didn't count on Raj causing a bigger scene.

He got up to say that he was looking forward to this weekend. After all, "Do you have any idea what its like to the be the only one without a girlfriend? Even if I get one someday, I'll still be the guy who got a girl after Sheldon Cooper!"

More and more, we're seeing Sheldon have to deal with actual girlfriend problems, relationship agreement or not. While Howard and Bernadette's relationship seems headed for more rough patches, I'll be interested to see if Shamy can sustain a long term relationship (if that's even what you call it).

What did you think of this week's episode? What do you think of Shamy's status now? Share your thoughts on video or comment below.

1. chocolate,recipe,smoothie,food,chocolate smoothie recipe,chocolate at home

Hello there, just become aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it's really informative. I'm going to be careful for brussels. I will be grateful when you proceed this in future. Lots of people will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

July 29, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. teresa

I did catch that episode and thought it was good.

I just started getting into the re-runs and this show is soooooooooooo wonderfully funny. Great actors.... I dont even consider what they do as acting. they make their characters seem so real and believable.

April 6, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SWTORISBAD

SWTOR is the worst MMO ever made. Shame on BBT for bringing it to the attention of the people who watch this show.

April 6, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mikemo

This article is as bad as the show it's talking about. (Really really awful)

April 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. wrap2tyt

... I guess I'd have to watch regularly to get it... because I don't.

April 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rupa

love the show...eveyweek llook forward to what the next episode will bring in.

April 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jon

Two wars and thousands of people dying every day. this is all you can handle for deep thought?

Sad

April 6, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sophie

I think The Big Bang Theory is the best comedy show on TV. The wit is unsurpassable. I love it.

April 6, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. George

My wife and I have loved this show since our next dor friend told us about it! We bought seasons 1-4 and love the whole thing. We used to help Mensa set up the annual party. They are all geniuses there... and many have the same problems the characters on the show have. They spend party time working on jigsaw puzzles... and more power to them! I like being around them, and like the show VERY much. Over the top? Of course! That is the point of the show, and why it is so much fun. I talked to a real live scientist about the show... He doesn't get it. That tells me it hits close to home! We will watch it long after it is only in reruns!

April 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scott Cagle

This is so life like. The longer I know women the more I like dogs. Stop trying to make men something we aren't.............interested in what you are talking about......thinking about..........wanting to do........your family.....your day.........your shoes...........our relationship............etc. We don't care and you are boring us to death. If wasn't for what is between womens legs we would not be interested. Go Sheldon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could care less.

April 4, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. bleh

I always wondered, "are people stupid enough to do something just because it's on tv?"
    With the whip app, I have my answer.

April 4, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sue

My husband and I buy the season on dvd every year for our anniversary. Its always a good time for Big Bang Theory.

April 1, 2012 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  13. lawyerclm

The funniest show on TV. Writers are great and material is fresh every week. I laugh out loud. Keep it up. We could all use a good laugh.

March 30, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. aj

they need to do starcraft 2

March 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lucky

Penny didn't name them Shamy, The guys did and told Penny about it.

March 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

LUCKY-Thank you! I was going to post the same comment. Howard mentioned it first and then Penny repeated it. BIG BANG RULES!

April 3, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  16. Daniel

Best situation comedy since Seinfeld... easily...

March 28, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kathy L. Duke-Fowler

I love "Big Bang Theory" it's the only network comedy I watch......I hope shamy sticks around they are so entertaining......

March 28, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ms. Pat Duffus

i loved that whip.... it was soooooooooooooo funny. Love the show.. everyone is awesome. love it. loveo it.. love it. My daugther is giving me all the season up to now for my B-day. OH YEAH!! yes.. the writers are SUPER GREAT! GREAT JOB !! keep up the good work. i have NEVER laugh so hard to any other show as i do here. it's for sure a BIG BANG of a show. thank you ....

March 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. uRallGeeks

seriousl y u r all geeks Mr cool guy u r not and i repeat u r not cool...weirdos get a life. i guess am worse i am writing to the weirdos hahah gET AFREAIKING LIFE! best show worth watching? after seeing u people here i think i'll quit. u think u r superios like the show? geeeks!

March 26, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. lulu

Good Lord ... am addicted to this bloomin' Bing Bang Theory series. Brilliant WRITERS the entire group deserves an award each my favorites are former Blossoms star – funny Mayim, Raj and Howard who both cracks me up! Thanks a bunch guys. Dare I say, this show has made me laugh once again ... good work Chuck

March 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jason ON

This was the dumbest article I've read on CNN. I thought it would talk about TBBT's impact on modern culture and geekdom, but instead it was a breakdown of the episode. Who cares?

March 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jay

BTW... the jokes aren't over the top and original... the jokes are written from the prospective of how people view "geeks" not how actual "geeks" talk. If anything, they are demeaning to the whole "geek" culture....
    Its what the Jocks and bourgeois want to believe they are like....
    yet everybody loves this show... i just can't figure it out..... well... IMO this show stinks.. but if it brings joy to millions of others then so be it.... to each his own....

March 23, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dr. B

Of course it's not realistic–what sit com is? Good lord, do you really believe that all families are like the ones on Roseanne and Everybody Loves Raymond? Comedy is about exaggerating to find humor in situations. I am a geek. I love this show. It's important to be able to laugh at yourself a little, and there are grains of truth in this show about geeks. I wouldn't even really call them geeks–they are more like all the academics I work with. We are not "normal" and don't want to be. And we do act like that sometimes.

April 4, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Mister Jones

I agree with you 100%. I tried to watch the show because someone suggested it, and I had to adamantly tell them that they were wrong. The show is not funny. It is not well written, and I am sorry to burst so many bubbles, but it is absolutely NOT an intelligent show. I am not suggesting all shows need to be intelligent, but this one clearly is not. If you would like to see an example of how un-funny this show is, watch a clip without the laugh track ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFd_wOQsGQ&feature=relmfu . Utter crap, I tell ya.

April 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jay

I've tried numerous times to watch this show.... It just plain stinks.... its not funny, thats not how "nerds" actually act, it seems poorly written, its just so "spare".... yet it is so highly rated.....

maybe its like friends was in the 90's.... some people hated it some people loved it.....

thing is... I don't ever hear people saying they hate modern family...... nor did I hear people say they hate seinfeld... yet in my group of friends, this fact that this show has made it so far along w/ such high ratings is a mystery.....

March 23, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  24. yinghuo

I don't like this serial very much but it's popular among yongstes.Besides it is likely that people who like watching this serials are mostly boys.This serial is funny.You can know what the native American people's life is and learn authentic idioms.Anyway,it is worth watching.

March 23, 2012 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  25. John

They need Amy to take control and tell sheldon it is time for him to feel a womens touch. :) I mean hell she is damn near begging for it in some of the shows anyways.

March 22, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  26. Bert BigDongler

Way too much product placement in this show. Sickening.

March 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck L

But yet you'll be back next week to see what happens next!
      Later. Mark.
      #heel

March 22, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. george

so, this "article" is a summary of an episode of Big Bang Theory? huh

March 21, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  28. Red Pison

I clicked on this thinking somethign had gone awry on the set. I am disappoint.

March 20, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  29. Theatregal

I LOVE this show! I've watched every episode since the pilot. It's literally the only comedy on television that makes me laugh out loud. I do agree with those who think the interaction between the guys is the core of the series. They don't have to have Amy and Bernadette featured so prominently every week. I think it would be a better balance to have some weeks with just the guys and then some with the girls.

March 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Muddy

I really like that there is a female who likes Sheldon for being a genius, and that they show that the scientists have lives as well. I think they should have at least a few of the women who show up to try and have a child by the famous geniuses.

March 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  31. christo

The best Whipcrack though had to be toward Howard and his mother. The best Shamy moment of the series so far though had to be when Sheldon bought Amy the tiara.

March 19, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Danny Breeden

I I'm a 62 year old great-grandfather and I love watching these "geeks". My parents told me about it; they never miss a show and watch all the reruns. Not often is sitcom written so well and acted so convincingly that it can hold the attention of so many different age groups. Good job.

March 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Christina

I love everything about this show! Cracks me up every episode. I also think it's time they give Raj a love interest.

March 19, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  34. Carol

It's the best show!!!

March 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Catherine

Here is a link to Chuck Lorre's vanity cards: http://www.chucklorre.com/index-2hm.php?p=317
    Happy reading!

March 17, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. suzangrace

amy and bernadette steal the show. my favorite was when amy was playing bon jovi on the harp. probably one of the funniest tv scenes in years. emmy for biali
    k!

March 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  37. oldoc

Geeky perhaps, but this is a great show with some very current issues handled in some very entetaining ways. Besides, Penny is truly HOT by any definition!

March 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jerred Alvarez

whats that whipping app under on itunes i want to download it

March 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Beecher Cole

It is only a T.V. show. It should'nt cause a flap the way it is. It is fiction. I like the show myself and one of the few shows that I watch.

March 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ElKai0

I want to poop on this show.

March 15, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  41. Lynda

We watch this show religiously. It gets funnier and funnier, Even though I am soo not a geek...I love geeky and nerdy humor. This show is sooo over the top original, clever, and unique ...that we tape and watch the reruns over and over and it never gets stale...it gets funnier the more we watch it. I think my evening would not be complete withouth at least one BBT show..even if its a repeat. Thank goodness for DVR's. I hope this show runs another couple of years. I don't look forward to BBT withdrawals. Bravo to the whole cast.

March 15, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  42. rgbfe fevebrynum67i

cnn: nice 'news' site. morons.

March 15, 2012 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  43. Jeff S

I actually thought this article was going to be about something that series did to actually cause a "scene", not someone's extended synopsis of an episode. I did learn one thing. I'm do not find a play by play of a sitcom very interesting. Reading this article played more like listening to someone tell a story that happened to a friend of a friend as told by that someone's friend.

March 14, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Johnny O

I am probably in the minority here, but the show is not as funny with the amount of time Blossom and Bernadette get now. The dynamic between the guys is what made this show great, and it is starting to become like "Friends", which I hated. Giving Howard and Sheldon girlfriends was great, but works best in short doses. Where's the love for Raj ?

March 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

You are definitely in the minority because Friends was the number 1 rated show for years. It lasted 10 seasons and had a HUGE fan base. All 6 actors made $1 million an episode. That's huge for a comedy.

March 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diana

Totally agree with you JohnnyO, and I too could not stand "Friends". Way too much of the women and don't like Sheldon with a gf at all.

March 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Terri Pinkston

That should have said Chuck Lorre

March 14, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  46. Terri Pinkston

Love the whole show. I think one of our favorite parts in this house is waiting for the ending "remarks" by chuch Lorre.

March 14, 2012 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • meetoo

yes, but it's a shame they don't leave them up on the screen so you can actually read them . . . .

March 15, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Del

You can find Chucks thoughts on line. I Googled them about a year ago.

March 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. John

The whip app was funnier then some of the lines it was used to "accentuate". It would be interesting to see the tables turned on Sheldon though so that AMY winds up doing something in "violation" of the "Relationship Agreement", and causes a second break-up! Or maybe Amy gets a lawyer and makes physical affection contact part of a new "Relationship Agreement"! Complete with a REAL LIFE WHIP when he violates it!

March 14, 2012 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  48. Kathy L. Duke-Fowler

I just recently started watching reruns and I love this show. I don't know how I've missed it all this time. I'm ready to go out and buy all the seasons there are to catch up.........

March 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Mistylynn

I love this show and it never fails to give me lots of laughs!! I really look forward to Thursday nights. It's just the best!

March 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Rant

This is one of my favorite shows on air right now! I love all that the writers are doing to develop all the different relationships. One request though to the writer of this review, Please, Please, Please, stop combining the names of individuals who are a couple into one word. It is just beyond obnoxious and is the most ridiculous thing ever and it is so overdone.

March 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • DancesWithDanger

Seems to me it has been said many times in this thread and if you had watched the show at all. The review writer did not mix the two names together. Penny did it on the show. Hope this helps you to understand.

April 2, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  51. DJ Johnson

I've become a fan of Mayim Bialik's. I didn't watch Blossom, so up until this show I've just seen her in cameos. Big Bang wasn't even running out of steam when they brought her aboard, which is the usual reason for such a thing in TV Land.. They did it because they wanted to push Sheldon out of his comfort zone, and it was a great move. Perfect casting. Mayim is brilliant on this show. And right now I think it's the best sitcom on the air, and nothing else seems to even be in the same league.

March 11, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • jasper

Yes it is about one of the few bright spots on network television, I have watched this show since the very first episode, was hooked on the preview review, great concept great cast and Mayim Blayik deserves an Emmy nod this year!!! GO Blossom!!!!

March 11, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TrudyBird

I have to totally agree with you. This show is brilliant. It's written and well acted... Other sitcoms seem to rely on really raunchy comments written more for shock value than comedy and they become unfunny and mired in vulgarity. I'm no prude at all, it's just that I like to be entertained with good humor or funny irony... not one vulgar comment after another. It gets old.

April 5, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  52. MrTroll

How many books have you mindless sheep read lately?

March 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • NickFury

About 17 since the beginning of the year. 12 fiction and 5 non-fiction. How about you? And Sarah Palin's bio-fiction doesn't count.

March 15, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • palintwitsatwit

derp. that is all.

March 15, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • lynne

Mr. Troll, a word of advice.
      Trolling usually works better when you do not announce it to the world. Oh well.... next time.

March 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Horn

3 last week. Being educated and watching smart TV can go hand in hand. Why do you assume watching TV makes you stupid?

March 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jillian

Loved, loved, loved it!
    My husband, who isn't normally a fan, even finds himself laughing along. I think Shamy is great!

March 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  54. kat

Shamy is the funniest relationship since Lucy and Desi!

March 10, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  55. Beth_W_is_a_tool

Beth Wiehe is a tool!!! And she's a backstabber!! Don't trust her ugly face!

March 9, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joel

All the comments are great and all..........but I want to know what the hell Beth did.................................

March 30, 2012 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  56. Robin

Loved this episode! It cracked me up. I love the path that the Amy/Sheldon story line is taking. It's also nice to see that Penny/Leonard are no longer the "dominant" relationship. They've dealt with some of the tension by putting them in the "beta" relationship but it's not becoming the center of the story line like in many shows. That always seems to be the kiss of death for many shows.

March 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ Johnson

Well put. Normally you either get a dominant relationship that sucks the life out of the show, or you have an endless "will they or won't they" carrot dangling there to keep people watching. The huge difference between Big Bang Theory and, say, Caroline in the City is that Big Bang has enough strong characters (each with fun story lines) to mix up the plots and keep it fresh. Caroline in the City drove me away (and many others) with the couple thing. There was nothing else to see on the show.

March 11, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  57. Susan

May shamy live on forever. Their relationship is one of my favorite things about the show.

March 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. mikrik13

This show just gets funnier every time I see it. Keep up the good work.

March 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  59. AGeek

Why do entertainment hack writers feel compelled to conjugate fictional characters in a relationship into one word? "Shamy"? Really? That's dumber than a sack of wet hammers.

March 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zoe

Poor entertainment hack writer – he's just reporting what the SHOW calls them. Penny named them Shamy – guess you aren't as much of a geek as ya thought.

March 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

"Dumber than a sack of wet hammers"? Your monumental envy of professional writers is only made sadder by lines like this one.

March 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJ Johnson

That's exactly what they're poking fun at by calling them "The Shamy". "Ooooh yeah, diggin' the Shamy". It's a spoof of the media's habit of naming couples that way. It's not like they're so lame they did it too. And it's hilarious.

March 11, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Chad

Ok, I'm thinking you can say "dumber than a sack full of hammers", or "...about as sharp as a sack full of wet mice.", the second is FogHorn Leghorn from Looney Tunes. Mixing them together is just wrong.

March 15, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • mikey69

A sack of wet hammers=swammers lmao

March 21, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Duh

If you watched the show, you would know that it's a nickname given to them by Penny, another character on the show. Do your homework before you make snide comments!

March 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joscar

I think that the combined names are dumb but Shamy has been used on this show since the beginning of their relationship, it's not something an entertainment writer came up with.

March 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn

I Shamou
      Thou Shamay
      He/She/It Shamas
      We Shamoi
      You Shamon
      They Rajward (Third person plural is, of course, irregular)

March 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watch the show

If you actually watched the show, you'd know that's what Penny calls them (much to Sheldon's chagrin).

March 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Evel Knievel

@ richard fore Why don't you lick my balls?

March 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cool Dude

Dude, lay off the balls references please! Don't need that on here!!!

March 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phydeaux

Too bad you obviously don't have any.....poor insecure fellow!

March 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Yeah Right

...and I'm sure God quickly crossed to the other side of the street, pretending like he didn't see you. Of all of God's creatures, you're one of his biggest embarassments.

March 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Richard Fore

I found God!

March 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Sarah

@Jorge
    I just looked. The whip app is now #13 on the Top 25 most downloaded apps in the App Store! I just got it too!

March 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jorge Bannister

The real question is this .... HOW MANY TIMES WAS THAT WHIP APP DOWNLOADED?

I know of three for sure, myself and two of my friends. Thing must've been viral.

March 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • llewis04@cox.net

Add two more... my son and I have been playing with that download all day.

March 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • dr2mom

I thought this episode was just as good as all the others. It is the only comedy I ever watch...it's far superior to anything else out there in the TV wasteland. Love Sheldon's love interest, Amy. Mayim Bialik is just the perfect fit for this show. The former actress from "Blossom" is also a scientist and I heard that she is perhaps the only actor on the show that actually understands all the scientific technical terms used by Sheldon et. al.

March 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robyn

One for me!
      As Sheldon's father would say, "Yee Haw and [assorted bad language removed by Sheldon]."

March 15, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Janine Janos

Didn't get to see this episode because they showed college basketball instead – very disappointed and will have to wait for the reruns.....

March 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emeljay

Plus me and all my friends.

March 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jules

I love'd that app! Now if it just came in a ringtone.
      I love, LOVE, LOVE BBT. Especially Sheldon. Not a big fan of "Shamy". I'd rather see Sheldon and Penny hook up. She would rock his world.

March 31, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • ukneeq

Oh the whip apps got a big boost after that episode aired. It even boosted some of them to the top of the app charts.

April 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |