John Mayer takes 'indefinite' performing hiatus
March 9th, 2012

John Mayer takes 'indefinite' performing hiatus

John Mayer recently announced his plans to tour this spring, but the singer is now bowing out of the trek.

According to a statement, the 34-year-old is taking an "indefinite hiatus" from performing because of recurring vocal issues. Last September, Mayer had to drop out of a string of concert stops after a granuloma was found next to his vocal cords.

He had surgery that fall and seemed to be on the mend. His album "Born and Raised" is due out on May 22, and his new song, "Shadow Days," debuted on the radio earlier this month. But the granuloma has returned.

"During rehearsal on Tuesday, it came to mind that I should see my throat doctor because something didn’t feel/sound right," he posted on his Tumblr Friday. "I went in for a visit on Wednesday and a scope of my vocal cords revealed that the granuloma has grown back where it had mostly healed. This is bad news."

As a result, he continued, "I have no choice but to take an indefinite break from live performing. Though there will be a day when all of this will be behind me, it will sideline me for a longer period of time than I care to have you count down."

Mayer goes on to explain that he's "pretty emotionally burnt out at the moment," but that he does hope to start working on his next album soon. That date is certainly TBD, as he's expecting another surgery and period of vocal rest.

“I'm completely bummed, especially for all of you who started making plans to see the show," he writes in his Tumblr post. "Nothing feels worse than having to break the stage down before the performance, and I mean nothing. I love this band you were going to hear, I love the guys and girls I work with, and the only thing that stops me from devolving into a puddle of tears is knowing that it's a long life, and the greatest gift in the world is being able to create music no matter what the circumstances."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Beleuchtung

Hello there, You've performed a great job. I'll certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this site.

March 31, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. Google

[...]please pay a visit to the web-sites we stick to, which includes this one particular, as it represents our picks from the web[...]

March 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. goo

i think he is dull and unoriginal. and so do most people, so my guess is that he's quitting because he just isn't that good.

March 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kathy ray

Omg love John Mayer/ my daughters crush/ I go with her to his concerts she attends/ I love that he is a man that knows what he wants and doesn't settle for whats not right for him and his heart/ he would love my daughter though/ shes a beatiful girl and kind person not in the spotllight/ take care John Mayer ur a DOLL......

March 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. The Hook

Too bad about Mayer; he deserves all the happiness in the world.
    Maybe thre is a silve rlining here; until now, he's been an egotistical SOB! Maybe he'll finally get off his high-horse and act like a real human being!

March 12, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Troubled

Wow, no wonder the rest of the world hates Americans. Look at the vile comments and sentiments posted here.

March 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rico

John who?

March 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Leucadia Bob

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIu5aPIIzzM&w=640&h=390]

March 12, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. anna

He should take a hiatus permanently.

March 12, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. OBSERVER 1

I WANT TO RUN THROUGH HALLS OF MY HIGHSCHOOL, I WANT TO SCREAM AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS...

IF I HEAR THAT SONG ONE MORE TIME....JOHN-ITS TIME FOR A REST

March 12, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jerin

His singing career is over. Vocal chord issues are very bad and that the growth has come back...disaster. Hope he invested or branched out into other lucrative things while he was still popular. Otherwise, he'll be flipping burgers before long. Should've played his cards right with Aniston and he'd have been set up for life! ;-)

March 12, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. janie

His musical career is o-ver. This is very bad news and one surgery on the vocal chords is a gamble, but two... Very bad for a singer. I like his music and it's unfortunate. If only he would have branched out doing other things during his popular phasem he'd have been set up financially by now (maybe he has, don't know?). He may be flipping burgers in the near future, especially if he didn't invest his money.

March 12, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. Julia

You crazy jerks need to grow up! Get a life! Stop filchin off these blogs. I iz gonna take a monster-sized dil-do and ram it right up your plump rump!!

March 12, 2012 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  14. Julia

I am not a fan of John Mayer. In fact, it has been years since I had heard his music. But, you all are saying that because of the comments he made about black women, this is karma. What about what you are saying about him? I hope karma comes around and bites you in the a**. This is probably very scary for him, and I am sure that if this was happening to you, you would be scared. You all need to grow up and get a life. Jerks.

March 12, 2012 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. sbul

He's a better guitar player then singer anyway. He ought to perform with a good singer (or two) and be there lead guitarist. he might even create a better sound collaborating with other musicians.

March 11, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Andrea M

I'm not a John Mayer fan, but my heart does go out to his fans. When Simon Le Bon had vocal problems last summer, Duran Duran fans were on a wing and a prayer there for a bit and it's no fun at all to worry about curtains for a favorite artist. Don't worry guys, it will work out in the end, he'll make it back.

March 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  17. best

@firestarter-white men age A LOT FASTER than white women! what an ignorant comment! im 34 and quote 'white' and i get confused as a teenager all the time. 34 yr old white men, majority of them look way older than thier age. looks like youre the real dog!

March 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Courtney

I could carless who John Mayer screw that's his business. I'm a black women and guys hit on me of all races I even dated a couple spanish guys so no not all black women are ugly, loud and fat that lives on food stamps . There are ugly and fat people in all races you white guys and black men who likes to make fun of black chicks is NOT better than nobody , you die , you sh**t you eat, sleep just like everybody else .So stop acting like you are made of pure gold b/c you are nothing but a bunch of narrow minded idiots who needs a reality check . Goodbye

March 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. shutup

some of you all are really messed up with your commentary, but perhaps it is a feeble attempt at sarcasm for some.... anyway, I'm not a Mayer fan in the least, but I don't wish ill health on anyone. Hope his singing voice gets better soon. As for his comments and such...well, ignorance is bliss. Both for the person speaking and the person listening....

March 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pot and Kettle

Lets just face it, there are attractive and unattractive people of all races. Just because I find someone attractive does not mean I want to date them or marry them. I'm white and white men with no lips are not attractive. They look bitter and angry and they usually are a bitter pill. White men who look too ethnic are not attractive to me. That means if I can tell what country you are from, no thanks. White men with large crane noses, and those who look inbred, no thanks.

March 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Pot and Kettle

Lets just face it, there are attractive and unattractive people of all races. Just because I find someone attractive does not mean I want to date them or marry them. I'm white and white men with no lips are not attractive. White men who look too ethnic are not attractive to me. That means if I can tell what country you are from, you probably don't do it for me. White men with large crane noses, and those who look inbred, no thanks.

March 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sally

Mediocre talent, annoying voice.... I hate his stuff as much as I hate the dave matthews band,,, they both crap on people in different ways. NOT GOOD MUSIC... all mainstream, dry toast.... blecch. GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!

March 11, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • sbul

Sally, it's his guitar playing that is great. I agree his voice really kinda sucks, especially as a professional singer, but he can play the guitar.

March 12, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  23. lolarites

Sounds good to me.

March 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Talkie

Wishing him a speedy recovery!

March 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Homer Simpson

Just read the first few comments that are hateful, racist and judgmental. How very sad to live in some of your minds. Please go get some therapy, volunteer, exercise and learn to be kind to your fellow human beings. There is way much more to life than focusing on the negative and being that rude. Open your minds. To the more positive, joyful and friendly people reading this ... we are so fortunate. :-D

March 11, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pooltop

Seriously. What a bunch of rude, hateful, ignorant hillbilly bumpkins on here. Browsing through the comments left me embarrassed to be an American but it made me realize why America has fallen so low. Everyone wants to blame politicians when in reality, how successful can a nation of hateful, racist, uneducated people become? I think we crested about 10 years ago. Downhill from here: widespread ignorance, hate, stupidity and obesity. Enjoy the country you yourselves have created out of having too much time on your hands and too much hatred and ignorance in your hearts.

March 12, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  26. Edwin

Not a moment too soon. "Guitar hero" poseur.

March 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. not selling tickets

His tour wasnt going to sell half its tickets. He had to find an excuse to cancel it.

March 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Firestarter

Mayer has every right to feel however he wants about black women.As a white male, I don't find them attractive either.For the record I don't find white women attractive either.They age very poorly.In dog years actually.White women are highly overrated.Asian women are the best.They're smart, driven, and attractive.Just my opinion.

March 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pot and Kettle

I was waiting for someone to pull out the "I like Asian girls.." which is fine but if you are white like the women you are criticizing, how are you aging? Some of my Asian friends have married really nice white guys but I have some who married white guys who are nothing but leeches. These guys know in Asian families the parents will try to provide well for their kids. Borrowing money all the time from my friends parents instead of working a steady job. Yes my friends are hard workers, wish their white husbands worked as hard as they do.

March 11, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • LPW

He has a right to his feelings, but some feelings are obnoxious when publicized. He should learn to think before speaking.

March 12, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  29. Good_riddance

Now that Mayer's stardom is really in question I wonder if he will treat others better. He now has nothing additional to offer to make people tolerate his arrogance, stupidity and ugliness. Everyone who thinks they have some special talent that puts you on the top of the world and you treat others poorly-watch out. When it is gone you will have nothing to rely upon.

Given his proclivity for hedomism, perhaps the granuloma is an STD.

March 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kelly Harris

I don't want his short pale d ick yuck!

March 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. different strokes different folks

What is wronng with u people leaving negative comments? I feel for ur children.. that is what is wrong with this world today, instead of looking for good in a person u kick them when they are down and sick, u don't have to like everyone , coz everyone is different , but y bash them?he is human like u and imperfect, learns from mistakes like u.. if u would of looked for the good u would see he donates time and money to good causes. Some of which I am sure none of u who leave negative comments don't.. music is a blessing to everyone for many different reasons, what may sound like trash to ur ears sounds like smooth gold to someone elses.. grow up , he has grown up much, coz he learned from his mistakes in life, but from looks of it some of u have not, if u can do better than him have at it, nobody is stopping u.. or thrown negative comments ur way.. if we all had same taste in this world it would b boring.. I am not gonna comment on his past coz it is exactly that...his past.. leave it there.. he has changed for better , leave him be.. pray for someone if they bother u so much, a bigger person is able to pray for there enemy.. I hope he gets well and is able to try many different areas of music.. he is talented enough.. I even would love to here him sing a song of praise.. it would b beautiful.. u have a good heart john, don't let the negative comments bring u down.. they don't know u nor what they do.. hugs,,

March 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • fair-is-fair

He has to take his lumps like everyone else. He opened his mouth, he is a figure who relies on the public for his bread and butter so now they gets to hear what people think. John seems to be the one who leads in negative comments. Overall he has no class or common sense and he is confused as well. What Jewish person says they have a white supremacist P3nis? The guy is a hedonist and when it is all about you, typically, people don't like you.

March 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Joya Holmes

When that comment was made about black I was to attend his concert in Nashville,Tennessee with some colleagues of mine that happen to be white they said they knew what JM said had me upset.I told them I wasn't going to attend,and was going to sell my ticket and donate the money to an after school program for black girls.The next day when I met them for drinks no one mentioned how great the concert went,when I finally asked one of them handed me A check in the name of after school program.I cried and it hasn't been a one time thing some of them have volunteered to help the kids in several areas,they really are friends.So John I still love you because you helped to open my eyes.

March 11, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • GABRIELLE

See...no one ever talks about the good White people. Jesus lives!

June 3, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  33. A

Woo hoo!

March 11, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  34. Ozmodius

Really? Great because I took a permenant "hiatus" from his music ever since he started performing!

March 11, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  35. Aja

As a Black lady I was shocked by Mayer's comments because I was a huge fan. After searching myself I realized that he hadn't said anything that I hadn't said about illegal immigrants and Latino's. My neighbors who happen to be white are just as guilty with their Muslim rants. Regardless of your race if you search yourself you will find that you too have said something unethical. I'm not going to stop supporting Mayer for saying something stupid as I have many times before him because it would make me a hypocrite.

March 11, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  36. ComeOnMan9

Man this conversation did not go well at all for me. I am a black woman and happen to just like Mayer's music only. So glad this forum is available for some of you rather effete men to bash a group of women. I love that this country is so diverse because if you don't like me and my kind, you wont show up where I show up. And that is just okay.

March 11, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  37. johndanger

Shoulda stopped with Gravity, bro.

March 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Michael

who cares.

March 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  39. fit_fille

I think it is great that JM does not find black women attractive, all he does is trash women anyway so at least they escape from being exploited by a mediocre misogynist. Overall the generalization about black women in this thread are nasty and filled with hate. If you have an issue with a black woman who has cause you trouble, then take that up with her not the rest of us. We don't know her or you.

Attractiveness is subjective. Sure I find men of all races attractive, but there are ethnicities within the races I will not date and do not find attractive. I however am not so rude as to publicize this, it shows arrogance and thoughtlessness.

March 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Rack

Thank the lord. Make it permanent.

March 10, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Gary N

Never liked the guy. Just never found someone who sings like they're having an asthma attack something I wanted to listen to.

March 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • fit_fille

He sounds funny because he has no real vocal range. He can carry a tune which most people can but he is not really a singer. I don't think his voice range is even an octave. Even the music he or whomever produces is shallow, very simple melodics interspersed with riffs. Not to complicated.,

March 11, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Name*cillamotsi

I feel your pain. Been down that road

March 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mastodonrocks

YES! Stay gone.

March 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Italy4

To each is own...I'm not atracted to white men – and i'm a white woman – go figure.

March 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  45. TV

Nice try, God. I specifically requested in my prayers to never hear John Mayer's voice again. But his voice has been recorded, so I can still be forced to listen to it whenever I go out for a haircut or sit in the dentist's office waiting room.

March 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  46. lance corporal

hire a singer and get your head and heart straight

March 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. H.

I don't believe in Karma, but do believe that the type of spirit you exude can make or break you. I am a "sista" who loved John Mayer -"Waiting On the World to Change," was in heavy rotation. I literally ran over the cd with my car when I saw the excerpts from the GQ article... We must watch what we say even though we may have a platform. For the record, John Mayer, while I like your music, men who look like you hhave always repulsed me, but I don't have to share that in a widely read magazine. I hope you use the down time to reflect and rest your racist _ _ _ _.

March 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. favian Faracy

After reading all of these comments I have came to the conclusion that people are really mean! Those of you that made these comments, do you speak like this to people in public or do you just hide behind a screen name! If you don't like black women fine, but to support the fact that he used racial slurs in the interview is also agreeing with his previous statements. Black women may be loud, thick, and what you may call fat, but so are some many other women from other races! The Help comment was unnecessary!! I know you would not say this in a black woman's face!!!

March 10, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  49. mattski

Nodes. Happens to the best of 'em.

March 10, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  50. maribeth

john wants to just playing guitar and sing. his inspiration of life is to entertain and play. he is in a crisis now and he will be a winner and return to the studio if not public. his voice is awesome and yes he is a beautiful looking man. let him play. that is his life not anyone else. John Sing and do your thing. you are awesome with that piece of musicial talent. if people dont like your style, let them go their own way. i love to hear you play.

March 10, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jim

I am a career musical entertainer who has suffered with vocal nodules twice during my career. The first time, i lost six weeks of work, the second time two. It scared me terribly, and I wasn't certain if I would ever sing again, much less, speak.I also lost a substantial amount of income. Music is John Mayer's life; he LIVES to sing and entertain. If you're hurling derision his way, it's obvious that you're ignorant and deserve only the very worst that life can offer. Furthermore, to hell with all of you, hand in hand...unless you have something a little less mean-spirited to say.

March 10, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh well

You sound like a nice person. I bet your granuloma was not caused by an STD. John has a STD granuloma.

March 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Vu Ng

I am not physically attracted to black women either...or red-heads, or eastern europeans but I have plenty of friends who are in those categories. I'm not a racist, neither is John Mayer. I can't stand Mexican food...oh oh...I don't like Mexicans. Cry babies. Rootin' for ya John...I hope to see you in Chicago soon!

March 10, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  53. Marcus Br-OWN

Ya'll sistas are trip pin'. dis man has more soul than most of my fellow broth as and sistas I ever met. He aint a racist and the mans got talent. Ghetto ass chicks give us a bad name. nobody keeps blacks down but ya'll. Respect John feel better

March 10, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • fit_fille

Marcus, actually you help bring down Black American's just like the woman you accused. Your post is barely intelligible. Education is free in America, take advantage of it.

Here is another clue for you. Not all Black people are in to the 'sister/brother' thing OK. What exactly is tripping, I have never been clear on the meaning of that word. Fix your grammar and spelling, then dole out advice and not one size fits all for black people.

March 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus Br-Own

Ok fit_fille, I was simply speaking in a language most African American consider their first language. I am happy you do not strengthen the negative perception people have on black women. I Am black and I am proud of my heritage however I stand behind my comments. A majority of black women our vulgar, racist, and undeserved confidence and pride...you are a prime example.

March 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • fit_fille

Marcus I made no vulgar or racist comments in my post. Where exactly in my post was I vulgar or racist? No I am by no means racist, actually I am mult-racial and raised to just be decent to whomever. I don't feel I have to speak a certain way to prove who I am. I to am proud of my heritage black, white, Asian and Native American.

You never know who is on these boards or who decides to post. What I can tell you is I am grateful to have been fortunate enough to interact with smart people who have shared their knowledge with me. I am very well respected in my field and I know how to treat everyone well regardless of their color.

The tired old rhetoric from you and the some of the other posters is not a part of my life, I only glimpse this level of ignorance when I peruse these boards. I've been in a ghetto-free, weave-free, drug-free zone my entire life.

There is a really long list of what people don't like about black men and from where I've been sitting most of it is true. Babies littered here and there, always looking for a roommate or surrogate mother rather than a partner in marriage, bad credit, smelly wax in your hair, baggy pants and talking loud with some weird accent. Do you see how ugly this is in print? How does it feel to read this? Just remember, the general comments you make about black women you make against your own mother.

March 11, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  54. Wendy

SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY, SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY, SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY...BUT JOHN MAYER ROCKS!

March 10, 2012 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  55. calimaka7

Rip biggie

March 10, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  56. Linda

Give him a break. Funny how quick people are to hang a person. He's not exempt from making mistakes. Get well John

March 10, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • SnowWhite

John Mayer is too swarthy and ethnic looking for my taste. There are a lot of us white girls that do not want John Mayer.

March 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mike

Giant head

March 10, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  58. stevenfbrackett

Maybe it is just me – but his statement came off as "I am so sorry you will miss out on seeing me because seeing me would have been the highlight if you life. Bummer, dude."

March 10, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  59. jtg

That's toooo funny!!! I think he finally realized the songs on his latest effort truly blow!! he brought this karma on himself–he used to be loved and made great music–but that was a long time ago :-)

March 10, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  60. Sir WaffleBottom

I am wearing socks. But not on my feet. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

March 9, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  61. krag

Isnt he the puke that kissed and told about him and that washed up wonder Simpson doing it..Id like to say I feel bad about him but I dont. Dude shes been spit out by more guys then Beechnut gum

March 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • stevenfbrackett

He ALWAYS makes crass and very personal statements about every woman he has dated, hooked up with or looked at twice. And yet, for awhile, he had no trouble getting more foolish women. Thankfully, that fountain seems to be drying up.

March 10, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • jy

You mean that "washed up wonder" whose business interests are north of a BILLION dollars right now? How stupid can you be?

March 11, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  62. Lauren

KARMA! Boo-yow!

March 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Karma Indeed

I once heard a story about John Mayer. Here is one many of you don't know. He had a girl backstage after a concert. The girl was very excited to meet him. After a few min. of conversation he interrupted and said "Are we going to f*** now or what?" She said no, goodbye and flicked him off! The dude is a dirtbag, what comes around goes around!

March 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Frod

I don't know about some of you guys ...but I have several beautiful Black students in my classes ...that if I was younger ...I certainly would ask out. No, they are not loud or obnoxious ..and yes, they listen to all kinds of music like I do ...

March 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  65. nikki

lmao...... yes karma indeed.

March 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  66. BIG DEAL

ANOTHER UNTALENTED RACIST BITES THE DUST

March 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caren Nye

I hope you bite the dust and when it happens...I hope it is long and painful. Inwould love for my laugh to be the last thing you hear as your brain shuts down lol

March 10, 2012 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  67. Doug Hayes

Great news! Ca he take Michael buble' with him?

March 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  68. sportreform

no impact on my life whatsoever.

March 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Calcommuter

And the world yawned.

March 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  70. carm

who cares, really?

March 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Anyone who clicked on the article and posted after it?

March 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I care.

March 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona Apple

I care and the critisism John is receiving, especially while he is experiencing the terror that goes with health scares proves our society has a long way to go. My thoughts are with you John. I know you'll make a spectacular recovery.

Love and hugs...Fiona

March 10, 2012 at 4:45 am | Report abuse |
    • ScottNNYC

I care and so do his millions of other fans. John's a talented and popular musician/singer and the fact that you are so cold to his sad situation speaks to how terrible a person you are. At least he's rich and talented. Can you say the same?

March 10, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • The Children

I don't care. I care about children that are being abused, I care about the elderly who do not have enough money to pay for their medication, I feel for those who are vulnerable in society.

I do not care about predatory people like John Mayer.

March 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. sugarbabe

Karma! Haha

March 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  72. justicefor7

URGENT – Please read more about VERIZON. Things they don't want the public to know! I was tormented by racial comments that were ignored, then racially discriminated against and wrongfully terminated for making complaints about the racial injustice.
    Please visit my Blog Page to see what Verizon did to my family. What they have done to my family, and continue to do is horrific. Today they still will not accept responsibility. So I will not stop this FIGHT for JUSTICE! It has been 8 years and I refuse to give up!
    You can read my stories about what VERIZON did to my family by GOOGLING:
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Cover Letter”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Press Release”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Requesting Criminal Punishment”

From there you can access the other letters through the recent post.

I am a man who has stood up against racism, discrimination, bullying, harassment, hostile environment, belittlement, threats, and retaliation, all while working for Verizon Communications, as they conspired to terminate me.

I am a man who is trying to hold his family together while in the process of trying to fight for my rights to be heard. I am a man who has brought up his family on morals, discipline, character, hard work, dedication and conviction to believe that good things happen to good people. I am a man who could not be more proud of my family for all their trust and faith in my conviction. I am man who is a proud servant in my community and deserves to be heard, as I am begging for JUSTICE!

I have learned that: “If you have no Money, A lot of Power, unlimited amount of Connection and resources, you have no chance at receiving justice within our country!

Even though I know this to be true, that justice of only for the few, I refuse to allow Verizon to beat me! I will fight them until I die. I will never give up, I will let the world know of the abuse I suffered and the lack of justice I have received.

Neal W. Dias

March 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  73. eric

Christmas came early!

March 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  74. mayflower

Yeah...since that interview where he spilled the beans about all the women he has been with and talked so horribly about them, when I hear his music I change the station. Removed him from my mp3. You don't talk like that and then not expect life to come whack you in the a** afterward. Great talent means nothing if you are trash. A polished turd is still a turd.

March 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • AbbyFann

I agree with Mayflower. I really liked his music until I heard him open his mouth without it. Being a world class jerk overshadows any talent he has in my estimation. I hope he has a successful vocal surgery and recovers quickly, but I also hope he uses this time to go back to school and diversify his career options because his popularity is totally on a downhill slide.

March 10, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  75. favian Faracy

I was sad to here that he canceled his OK concert at Winstar casino. In 2010 due to the comments Mr. Mayer made I called ticket master and asked for a refund on the dallas show. Since then he had made a public apology and all was forgiven. I hope he heals and can't wait to see him in concert when he is ready!!!

March 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Joey B

Whats the big deal about him not liking black chicks? 99% of them are loud, annoying, overweight divas. Who wants that around? Hit it and quit it if you are hard up I guess.

March 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?mylove

Wow! U actually know 99% of all Black women. Grow up clown.

March 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey B

I do know them and I am 100% correct. Plus the fatter they are the more they think they are hot. Their ignorance is amazing.

March 9, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ComeOnMan9

Guess what Joey, we aint trying to get with you anyway. Luckily the caucausoid men in my life are gentleman and relish a sister. Got me boy?

March 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey B

Sorry no, I dont "got you" and I dont want you so thank god I dont. Some guys like banging the help, its been that way for hundreds of years. Enjoy being a bed warmer.

March 9, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ShOrelle

LMAO I'm in the 1% but I am all with you on that statement dude lmao. Not Sure about "The Help" comment but this cottage cheese leg B.I.G looking' tricks set themselves up lol.

March 10, 2012 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Italy4

Joey B – you need to take your meds.

March 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron Kendrick

Tru dat! Black women are so gross. John Mayer is so gay anyway. GAY

March 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • fit_fille

1%?? where did you pull that stat from? I do not mind bursting your bubble, but not all black women are as you've described, just like not all white men are nasty, hateful and lowbrow like yourself.

I am not overweight, I am not loud, I do not have a government job and I am not a bed warmer. There are lots of women of all races who allow themselves to become 'bed warmers'. I have plenty of men of all races and ethnicities who find me attractive, I really don't care who does not find me attractive, it won't end my life.

Since you consider yourself an authority on the matter, take your findings to the scientific community. I'm sure you can make a killing with your information.

John Mayer is doing black women a favor considering his track record with the women he has dated. He is trash and no healthy woman would date him, he is a misogynist.

March 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Dave

Awwww, there is going to be a lot of disappointed 12 year olds.

March 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  78. JW

Don't like his music. I get annoyed every time I hear his music on the radio.

March 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joolz

I don't like his music. He's not a phenomenal guitar player. I saw him once and he is merely a heartthrob, his whole thing is designed for girls to go WOOO. At this concert he didn't even mention ANY of his musicians by name even at the end. And his other guitarist was WAY more talented, nuanced than he. He's a total megalomaniac, hearing stories about him. His semi-wannabe philosophical interviews are made to fool us he's some emotionally honest and profound guy. he's a sham

March 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • rick

His music sucks big african cxxk

March 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Doug

This article sure brightened up my day. Too bad it's only an "indefinite hiatus".

I don't care about black chick thing. I want him to go away because his music sucks.

March 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonny

Guy is a puke

March 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Man

what stupid fks you two are. the guy is worth 8 figures – a great artist – and here you are knocking him. Talk about clueless trailer trash! Go back to your greeters jobs at Wmart

March 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • sonny

I don't care how much puke boy makes, OJ Simpson made more than him, so what, if I go back to my Wal-Mart job I'll be replacing your mom

March 10, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Deb

Oh CNN....oh thank you for this story....THANK YOU for some good news for a change....

March 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Wrangler99

This guy is more successful than any of you people posting the bad comments. And just because he was honest about not being attracted to black girls you think that is a bad thing? You people need to crawl under a rock on a busy roadway and pray for an eighteen wheeler to come along.

March 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Timely

You are the best. I am listening to "Clarity" and "Stop That Train" at the moment. Wishing you a speedy recovery

March 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

The song "Say" makes me tear up when I hear it. When I hear the chorus "Say what you need to say" it makes me want to come out to my parents. :(

March 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  83. MayerSucks

He should just call it quits for good.

March 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

2nd that!

March 9, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tory

Ha ha...haters. You both need to end it all. Call it quits for good. Maybe you'll come back as an eagle, or a lion, orba dung beetle. Let go fellas...life isn't for you. I support you guys as you make your final transition. Pieces of crap

March 10, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  84. Evel Knievel

Didn't the cow Adele ust that excuse?

March 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • harbharb

Eval, you must be related to John Mayer—a singer who should often consider not opening his mouth to speak because he often says too much about things he knows little about.
      Is he having trouble keeping quiet? Did he cause damage because he stuck his foot too far into his mouth?
      This could be you, Mr. Knievel.
      P.S.: Adele has lost a great deal of weight, you dirty name caller!

March 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • LR

You mean 'Evel Limbaugh' right?

March 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmericanSam

Dude why would you even say that? That's mean.

March 12, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  85. sabiduria

KARMA is a witch ain't it? Next time maybe he'll think twice about the comments he makes about sistas. I was his biggest fan but the PB interview was a total let down. Although, I forgave him and started back listening to his music it did sound the same to me. I wish him well though.

March 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • sabiduria

It DID NOT sound the same is what I meant.

March 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • favian Faracy

I agree, the music doesn't sound the same!!!

March 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • ComeOnMan9

Well let me join the party. I thought his comments about the people who look like us, was just a wee bit juvenile. I had to forgive the boy when heard his riffs on "Vultures". This "boy" is just too da mn good for me to toss him for his jerk at the mouth. Listen to his blues and you want to weep.

March 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • me bein' me

I personally don't find most black women attractive. I think alot of black men would agree too.

March 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • balloon knot connoisseur

Boo hoo. Not everyone wants fat, greasy, uneducated, diseased darks. Feck off.

March 10, 2012 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Malcolm

I agree MEBEINGME, a majority of blacknwomen are not attractive and they are mean, obnoxious people. Affirmative action get them great government jobs. Maybe the 8 percent of black women in America can relocate...Africa springs to mind. Pigs.

March 10, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
    • ScottNNYC

I feel terrible for John and I think his previous comments were not meant as they sounded. He's a bit immature but has a good heart. I do hope he has a full recovery and is back to doing what he loves and what his fans love hearing – his music! And, I may be a gay white man but I've always found black women waaaaay more attractive than white women. It's just the way it is.

March 10, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Fit_fille

As usual the racist come out of the woodwork. I really don't care if JM is not attracted to Black women. After all the ugly comments he has made about the women he dates, I'd say he doesn't respect women in general. Black women should be glad he is not attracted to them.

There are lots of overweight women in America, it crosses all racial boundaries and there are lots of overweight men. What I know is this, someones weight is none of my business. Some people have weight issues because of illness.

Like who you want to like but trying to generalize about black women shows your hate and ignorance. As for telling black women to go back to Africa, perhaps they will follow suit by your example. Go back to whatever European country your family is from. It goes both ways.

March 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  86. This_blank

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

March 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollywoodSurF

He'll be hanging out with?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jnv8dhQuRs&w=640&h=390]

March 10, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • miscreantsall

Based on what comes out of his mouth (speaking)…………..he is one loser of a human being. Take all the time you need bud!

Based on what comes out of his mouth (singing)…………..nasal and strange phrasing…………….take all the time you need bud!!!!!!!!

March 10, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Don

Maybe he should stop smoking pot. Among other things, it causes granulomas. Ask Elton John what his doctor told him he had to do after throat surgery in 1987. Sorry, potheads, but the smoke is awful for your throat and voice.

March 10, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • vader

I can only hope good ol' John reads all these posts and gets the hint. And that hint is: please dont ever come back, stick to molesting chickens and beagles. You are a disaster and nobody knows how you even got popular. You are a train wreck Mr. Mayer and I hope you can find a tall enough cliff to jump off of very soon.

March 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jodi

This is sad, but what's even more sad is the negative people. Cruelty and vulgarity is making this world go to hell. How about instead of wasting your time bashing some dude; that will never read your comments, you worry about your countries' financial current standing or our current standpoint with Iraq.

March 12, 2012 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |