First look at 'The Lone Ranger'
March 8th, 2012

First look at 'The Lone Ranger'

After a rough start, "The Lone Ranger" is back in production with Armie Hammer in the title role, and Walt Disney Pictures shared the first photo from the set on Thursday.

The movie co-stars Johnny Depp as the Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, and is directed by Gore Verbinski, who previously worked with Depp on the first three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

The heroic, masked Western character hasn't seen the big screen since "The Legend of the Lone Ranger," a 1981 box office flop. In the early days of radio and television, he was wildly popular with children, and spun off "The Green Hornet," recently portrayed by Seth Rogen in last year's film.

Hammer recently described this "Lone Ranger" in similar terms to "Green Hornet, as a "buddy comedy."

Reactions to the photo on Twitter varied, such as Josh Wilding's "Armie Hammer looks fantastic as The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp looks absolutely ridiculous on the other hand."

@flix66 called it "surprisingly stylish" and @BradamsDisney said, "I am intrigued and yet not overly."

@ravengirl57, however, "was not expecting the bird hat."

What do you think? Share your thoughts below.

1. more information here

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your website accidentally, and I am stunned why this twist of fate did not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

April 14, 2012 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  2. rharri

God this is gonna suck major ballz.

March 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Hook

Depp looks ludicrous – but who cares? He's Johnny Freakin' Depp, he can pull of ludicrous and still knock your socks off with his actin' chops!

March 12, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chris

good grief, at least the Lone Ranger can shave, he looks awful the way movie stars look today, not back in the lone ranger's day

March 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

Johnny Depp as Tonto is a shame. Was Lou Diamond Phillips not available? Johnny Deep best vacate this role asap. Yes I understand it's just a movie but please....

March 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. PuckFeta

It's just a Movie people.

March 11, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dan Lappen

They screwed up Green Hornet, now it Lone Rangers turn. We got it Hollywood. White guy stupid, non-white guy perfect. They tried that in the 80's version and it tanked. Yick.

March 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. blah

Johnny Depp as Tonto? Oh yeah, that's not going to cause controversy. We can't get an actor from the correct nationality to play this role?

March 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hank

John Boy, Ditch the Iger bird and look like the real Tonto if you want to stir the fond memories and some new ones. This ain't Pirates! This is sacred ground buddy, I really don't want to come after I've seen "The Iger Bird Cap". Don't crap the bed please. If your horse is named Silver, I'm wretch up a big honker and mail it to Iger in Orlandomouseland.

March 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Victor

I thought Depp wanted to make a movie were Tonto was a more important and central character to the plot. Now it's a buddy comedy?

I really hope that's not true.

Also, Johny, please get rid of the bird, you look ridiculous!

March 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tina

Loose the bird, for crying out loud!

March 9, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rob

From the picture, I am interested in the movie.

March 9, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  13. mikrik13

Maybe it is a live crow. A buddy of Tonto rather than a hat.

March 9, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  14. lol

You ppl must be old. You know alots of stuff about this old show. John dep is funny looking n I saw him in the old willy wonka choclate fatory movie.

March 9, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. Nighthhaaawk

....another childhood memory hopelessly corrupted!

March 9, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. Spidey-Man

Not only is hollywood out of ideas but now they feel the need to screw up the ones they try to remake. Who wants a buddy comedy of the Lone Ranger? That's mostly why I still haven't seen The Green Hornet movie yet. I hate saying this about a movie I wanted to look forward to... But... This looks pretty bad.

March 9, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  17. Markos

Were there no Native Americans to play the part of Tonto???

March 9, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  18. Joe

What's up with the rubber mask? Anyone who knows the story of the Lone Ranger knows that his mask was cut from his shirt he wore when he and his fellow rangers were ambushed and shot by gunmen. The eyeholes were actually the bullet holes in his shirt from when he was shot.

March 9, 2012 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  19. mike

I knew it this movies going to stink, Johnny Depp does not look like Tonto and Armie Hammer don't look like The Lone Ranger, The only thing that looks correct is the white hat and badge the rest stinks.

I'm Glad John Hart, Clayton Moore, Jay Silverheels didn't live to see their work ruined by these clowns.

March 9, 2012 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Nighthhaaawk

I'm right there with you, Mike!

March 9, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Don

Mike, you're 100% right on...they took the Green Hornet and ruined it with 'buddy comedy' and now they want to do the same to the original "Masked Rider of the Plains"...Disney Studios will be laying a big egg if they continue in their current script's direction...why not stick to a realistic remake of the original story, do it the way Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels would have played it if they were alive today...dress the Ranger and Tonto the way they looked in the 2 feature movies released in the 50's...Superman was done without buddy comedy, do the same with the Lone Ranger.

March 21, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  20. .•|•.

I like JD & look forward to the movie, but what's up w/the hat? LOL!

March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. christina

What about Dwight Yoakam??? Isn't he supposed to play the villian?????

March 8, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. r p

Once again, learn before you speak, Johnny Depp is native american

March 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kosmo

Why go half way? Make it Will Farrel as the Lone Ranger and Jimmy Fallen as Tonto.

March 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Hey, your pick sounds great. After all, if Seth Rogan can play The Green Hornet; Will Ferrell can be The Lone Ranger.

March 9, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sophyb

Clicked through to see how ridiculous this looked and was not disappointed.

March 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  25. moon627

Whats up with Johnny Depp ? He must hate his good looks because he sure goes out of his way to look like crap in most of his movies nowadays.

March 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Loren

Yay, Tonto; nay, Lone Ranger.

March 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mxp5769

Johnny Depp? Ok, maybe. the whole 'kicked off the set of The Crow' makeup thing... ummm... no. and I LIKE Johnny Depp.

March 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Barry

I hope that is a raven, not a crow.

March 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  29. KajinPL

Why is it that JD can meld into any character he plays? It's nearly impossible to look at him when he's just himself. Talk about method acting.

March 8, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Srsly

Looks like a bad cross between Jack Sparrow and the Crow.

March 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Richard Fore

I know Tonto and the Long Ranger can lick their own balls. I shaved mine this morning so that I can lick them during lunch break :-)

March 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Heather

As a member of one of the Iroquois Nations We again sadly watch a Native American role go to a white man. Why not Adam Beach or Wes Studi??

March 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sophyb

Because they lack humor. Hard to place either of them in a comedy.

March 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • rain

I second the lament about not hiring Native actors for Native rolls. While it's great that JD is 1/16 Native perhaps they could do better than that.

March 9, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I mentioned below Lou Diamond Phillips. Add some ethnic authenticity to a role even if it's a comedy movie role.... Geesh Hollywood...

March 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Janelle N

I'll watch JD in anything. I think this will be great. He's golden.

March 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  34. i dunno why but...

i don't know why but i'm offended that they picked Johnny Depp to play a native american's role! Why is Disney in bed with Johnny Depp. I won't see any movie he is in!

March 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Vixtoria

Looks like a Brokeback Mountain remake. Coolbreeze and Dicky will love it, and I'm sure Sad-a55 Sadie will be in here soon enough to say how much she loves Depp. *Yawn!*

March 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RDM

U brought it up so u must miss those ppl. Your coments are getting old (yawn)

March 8, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

I don't care who licks my balls, boy, girl, dog, cat or your ugly mom.

March 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • RDM = Richard Fore or Evel

Hey blue link troll, you can't fool people.

March 8, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fritzy

@Vixxy-toria Hey, I love Brokeback Mountain! And, I'd love to love Johnny Depp, too. You leave my brothers Cool & Dicky out of your vendetta. While you are at it, why don't you lay off sly, too. At least, she likes to joke around with everyone. You're just b!tchy, and I know what b!tchy is all about! I get called queen b!tchy a lot, but that's a little different where I'm from. Ok, I'm starting to yawn now. That was just for you, Vixxy-toria! Mellow out!

March 8, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evel Knievel

When I said to change your name and troll, I didn't mean to use a name so close to yours. You proved to me once more how dumb you can be.

March 9, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  36. Observer

Does Hollywood not even have one new and original idea anymore?

First!

March 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

"@ravengirl57, however, "was not expecting the bird hat."

How was ravengirl57 not expecting a raven hat? I would think she would be the first ine in line.....Ohh a raven!

March 9, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • audrey

OMFG! Hollywood don't have one NATIVE AMERICAN actor that can play the role of Tonto. Why you always have to make a white person the Indian.

March 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bek

Why didn't they get Adam Beach?? He would've been great!

March 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

The same could be said for your comment: Does anyone have an original response to announcement of another remake?

March 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • JUAN

Hispanics lol to meaning of TONTO.....it means ...STUPID!!! DUMMY!!!
      Bullies use this word to degrade native americans.
      Disney are bunch of LAS TONTAS!!!.......STUPID GIRLS!!!

March 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |