Monkees not attending Davy Jones' private memorial
March 7th, 2012

Monkees not attending Davy Jones' private memorial

The planned private memorial service for Davy Jones won't have his fellow Monkees in attendance, a rep for the deceased star tells CNN.

“The Florida funeral service for Davy is a private family one, and Micky [Dolenz], Peter [Tork] and Mike [Nesmith] will not be attending out of respect for the family's need for privacy," Jones' rep says in a statement.

Dolenz told Billboard that he respects the family's desire for privacy, saying that having the band in attendance could disrupt that.

"My understanding is they want to avoid a media circus and...the family wants to keep it very, very low-key and very, very private," Dolenz told the music site. "And you can imagine as soon as one or two or any one of us were to show up, it would very quickly be degraded into something that I don't think his immediate family would want to deal with. So I'm kind of [respecting] their wishes, whatever their wishes may be."

Plans for services in New York and England are still being finalized, Jones' rep told CNN. She adds that Davy Jones, who died February 29 at the age of 66, will be cremated.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Lori

I think that was a hard decision to make and quite thoughtful of them. It would have been a crazy media circus had they all attended his funeral. I have always been a fan of them all – as part of the Monkees and later as individual performers. With that in mind – David's family lost a beloved member and they need the time and space to heal. My heart goes out to them so very much. I know there will always be a place for him in my heart. He was a genuine, caring, individual and because of that – he was so endearing to billions of people. Thanks for the memories! May God keep you close to him!

March 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kme

Davy wont be cremated, his body will be cremated. Get the news right.

March 9, 2012 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mike Dubois

should ave ben bobby

March 9, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. Morigani

Good Lord! Does anyone know that Whitney is dead?

March 9, 2012 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Slancer D.

on the bright side though, this is probably the longest that she's been clean and sober :)

March 9, 2012 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Hillary

I respect the other Monkees honoring the family's privacy at this difficult time. I do, however, wish they would also plan a future memorial here in Florida...

March 9, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff

Pretty much what happened with John Lennon and George Harrison died. The other Beatles members did not attend the funeral.

But in my opinion...the family is being a little selfish. If it wasn't for the other members of the Monkees...Davy Jones would just be another person probably working in a gas station in England.

March 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • P.J.

Another comment from someone who doesn`t know how to research before they make a statement. DJ worked on Broadway and was a child actor.

March 9, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. John

I think it's safe to say the media frenzy the monkeys are likely to attract are using canes, walkers and are all on Boniva. It's ok fellas. It's safe to go.

March 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. wjeri

Davy did not get along with the other Monkey members. That is why they were not invited/\.

March 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. corntrader19

I agree with Micky Dolenz. Not only that but the Monkees were not close and had fallings out with each other over the years.

March 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. newsgrrrl

This is the best tribute to Davy & The Monkees I have seen. It is by the Mad Men of the mod music scene. Ck it out.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkiSnNzDs0&w=640&h=390]

March 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jjac401

I am happy that the family's wishes are being considered.

I would have to say that Whitney Houston's celebration of life was very heartfelt and not a circus at all. But Michael Jackson's service was so over the top.

March 8, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the breeze

Hardy har har....acting like a lot of people would actually show up? too funny!!!

March 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the breeze

With tens of people showing up it would be a security nightmare,you're talking 5 to 6 cars to park,smart move making it private

March 8, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HRPuckinfutz

Apparently, the rest of the Monkees think they are still relevant. Sorry to inform them that the rest of the World pretty much forgot about them, oh, I'd say about 40 years ago.

March 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barbara

Sorry, HUB, I meant to say a BIG white devil.

March 8, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Barbara

HUB, you are white devil. Evil, evil......

March 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. myopinion23

It just goes to show what a bunch of "Monkeys" the rest of the group are.

March 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. beliver

"Dolenz told the music site. "And you can imagine as soon as one or two or any one of us were to show up,"

What? LOLZ

March 8, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Davy12

OMG.....really. Does everything have to be racial? Do people have respect for the fact this man was a human being and deserves respect; not a bunch of ignorant posts? Regardlesss of race, regardless of media hype, regardless of whatever.....it's a shame that the other group members cannot attend the funeral because the Monkees was a huge part of his career. They represented what i saw as brotherhood and they should have been able to give a reflection at the service.. Anyway, I am a black woman in my late 30s. I loved the Monkees and I thought Davy Jones was the cutest!!! I can still sing the theme song. There was a marathon on the other day and I recorded a few episodes. I'm thankful that i was a part of a moment in time when things were happier and simpler. I enjoy all people who are good people. Regardless of race or creed. Wake up, America, this is 20freaking12!!!!! Gee whiz..... Rest in peace, Davy. Much love and prayers to your family

March 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JxJx

I heard Christina Agulera is going to sing with goo running down her leg!

March 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JxJx

They didn't want any Monkey business!

March 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. As We Go Along

A lot of ignorance on this message board – geez. The Monkees made a great contribution to the history of rock music. Their TV show was the precursor to the music video. Michael Nesmith started the interest in music videos with his ground breaking "Elephant Parts". MTV helped start a revival of "Monkee Mania" in the 80's when they played the reruns of their TV show, which won an Emmy for Best Comedy Series in 1966. John Lennon said in an interview that he tried to never miss them on TV. The Monkees were the first bad to ever use a Moog Synthesizer on their song "Daily Nightly". In 1967, the Monkees outsold every band including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Their songs, especially on "Headquarters", "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones LTD" and "The Bird The Bees and the Monkees" were very relevant for the times. It is a travesty that they are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

As for the remaining guys staying away from the funeral – that is a respectful and classy thing to do. The paparazzi loves to crash private affairs like weddings and funerals, and the guys are respecting the families wishes for a private funeral. They plan on holding a memorial for Davy for fans to attend in New York, or attend one in England. RIP Davy – you were my first crush!

March 8, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

I couldn't have said it better! Some of these people posting have NO CLUE what that era was all about. I'm 48 and watched the Monkees all the time when I was a kid. I can run circles around people half my age and I don't need a walker. People who think there wouldn't be much of a turnout to his funeral surely didn't see the packed audiences at their concerts – as recent as a few months ago. My kids even enjoy their music!

March 12, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mistylynn

I think they all should have went. I just doesn't seem right that they thought they better not go because of reporters. They were the Monkees. I think they should have payed their respect to one of there own. I remember watching them when I was a teenager- Davy was always my favorite. I pray that God gives his family comfort at this sad time.

March 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

How do you know the band did not already meet with the family to pay their respects privately?

March 9, 2012 at 6:30 am | Report abuse |
  24. Jose the Great

Yes... the Monkees were a 'manufactured' band for a TV show way back when... however, they all were musicians in their own right and proved that when they went on their own after the show was cancelled with our fav hits like 'Daydream Believer', 'Mary Mary' (which RunDMC also did a remake of) and 'Last Train to Clarksville'... The Monkees are a true band, no matter what anyone says...

As for Davy... R.I.P. We all will continue to daydream and believe...

March 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lvmsleader

Come on everybody.....sing with me!!! "Here we come, walking down the street. Get the funiest looks from everyone we meet......."

March 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jared

I'm 31 and I loved the show (reruns of course).

March 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CreepyTime

And then there were three...

March 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MickeyNotRight

What's incorrect about Mickey? He no act like man.

March 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  29. WhatADiss

Apparently, they're dissin' little monkee boy... clearly, they hated each other... and they all resented Nesmith Monkee for inventing WHITE OUT. They jealous... funny monkee.

March 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

Mike Nesmith's mom invented the "liquid paper". Just trying to help out here.

March 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  30. WhichMonkeeDieNext

Like alot of1960s groups... many dead... Look at beatle... So, who next Monkee to die?

March 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Margaret

could have been a publicity stunt...the family may have said that to avoid the craziness..i think the monkees were there.

March 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. RUDE RUDE RUDE

RUDE THEY SHOULD ALLOWED THEM TO ATTEND...THAT'S WHY HE RECEIVED A STEADY PAYCHECK ALL THE TIME AND KEPT SINGING DAY DREAM BELIEVER UNTIL THIS DAY..BECAUSE OF THE MONKEES...RUDE RUDE RUDE

March 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  33. The_Mick

The headline comes across as if they're ignoring it like the cast of Cheers did when the actor who played "Coach" died. It should reflect that they're staying away to respect the families privacy wishes.

March 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. bails

I guess there won't be a media circus when I die. Sigh.

March 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  35. loaba

I want my family AND friends to come to my funeral. Just say'n. I mean, yeah sure, I don't have any terribly famous friends, but still.

March 8, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Tim W.

How the hell did this turn into a black and white issue ? you F'ing people really need to get a life !

March 8, 2012 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jealous of a Dead Whitney

Blacks have been honoring the top achievers in death in a big way since ancient egypt. but most whites wont understand that. RIP Davy you deserved better than cremation.

March 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • clevercandi

Not sure what cremation has to do with not honoring someone once they have passed from this earth.

There is only an empty shell left once the spirit leaves the body.

March 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry TT

I want to be cremated, too. Skip the rotting part & go straight to ashes. How many dead bodys can the Earth hold anyways?

March 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. will

Who are monkees? Davy who? Wha???? Huh??? uhhhh.... huh???? Whaaa????

March 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. I'm a believer

I think i heard recently that The Monkees were really the first band to have a music video. Not on MTV but b/c of their show. Anyone with any knowledge of music history, understand the sadness of Davy Jone's death. They could also appreciate the music. Broaden your world a bit.

March 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Gloria

The Monkees were good musicians, fun and nice, respectable people. RIP, Davy.

March 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Duck Suke

"Yeah, sorry Davy, gonna have to give it a miss, brah. They're airing the Top Chef season finale. Godspeed, and no hard feelings, yeah?"

March 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. wonderwoman

Peter Tork & Michael Nesmith knew how to play instuments and Mickey Dolenz learned how to play drums in two weeks and then you had Davey voice!!!!!

March 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  43. MonkeeMan

Here we come, walking down the street ... get the funniest looks from ... everyone we meet ... Hey, hey, we're the Monkees, and people say we monkey around ... but we're too busy singing ... to put anybody down ...

March 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  44. nitrous

What? No Alicia Keys showcase? :(

March 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  45. wonderwoman

At least you could understand the lyrics they sang.

March 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. michael

Low class move by the band...

March 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Craiger6

If the Band were allowed to attend they would only Monkee around. R.I.P. Davy.

March 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jerome Horowitz

Pop quiz – who opened for the Monkees when they toured?

March 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Nick Danger

The band could have played at the funeral and they would have sounded exactly like they did back in the days they were on TV. Because, they were not musicians. They did not play or sing or read or write music. They only pretended.

Hate to spoil your childhood memories, but come on Monkee people. They were the pre-fab four!

March 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • tffl

Nice try, but not true. All were vocalists (Davy Jones had a moderately successful album before the Monkeys, and had appeared in musicals in London and on Broadway), and 3 out of the 4 played guitar and/or bass and had been in musical groups prior to the Monkeys. (I don't know if they read music, but many current pop musicians can't.)

They always sang their songs, but only played limited amounts on the first 2 albums because Don Kirshner wanted total control and wouldn't let them. (Admittedly, they also weren't really ready at the start to play as a band, as they had very little time to come together, and Dolenz was forced to learn the drums as none of the 4 was initially a drummer. However, by the third album and the live tour, they _did_ play their own instruments and were a real band by any criteria.)

March 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • P.J.

Another person who can`t find google or wikipedia with both hands on the keyboard. Do some research before you post.

March 9, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  50. Mike

Someone posted here that people under 50 wouldn't even know who The Monkees are? Well, my kids, who are in their early 30s, watched the Monkees re-runs on MTV and loved them; my little daughter had a crush on Davy. And today, her son, my grandson, loves The Monkees' music because he first heard their tunes in the Shrek movies. He was surprised their music was recorded in the 60s, but loves it nonetheless and asked for a Best of The Monkees album. I'm sure there are many, many others of my kids and grandson's generations who like The Monkees' music too. Rest in peace, Davy.

March 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. CJ

Come on people, no one ever said there would be mobs, but if you don't think scores of media would "flock" to the funeral if the other Monkees showed up then you do not live in America in 2012. And yes, hundreds/thousands of fans – which is scores and hundreds/thousands more than the family wants. Good for his band mates and friends to be so understanding.

March 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. wendy5

they want your money but go away we dont want you around;your not my friend unless i want your money; thats what a star is to me;

March 7, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Aeromechanic

Yeah........they wouldn't want to make the family have to deal with all those screaming, teen-age girls.

Wait......what? Who are these guys. lol.

March 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. arthurb3

That's tacky! They should make an appearance.

March 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |

You are an idiot. Did you even read the d@mn article?

March 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • rufus

I think the other Monkees have a right to be at the funeral. And we, as fans, have a right to have them go to the funeral. Doesn't the Jones family have any respect for our feelings? Can't our government do something about this?

March 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Gloria

Davy was a good, clean "teen idol" not like some of the trash that is out there today. Even after the show ended and The Monkees' popularity decreased he still loved performing and appreciated his fans. He will be missed and he does deserve a quiet, family service. This had to be a terrible shock to his wife and children, I know it was to me. Thanks Davy for the great childhood memories. RIP

March 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jim Beagle

A friend of mine told me that Davy Jones died and I thought she was joking. Then I saw her face, now I'm a bereaver.

March 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  57. citizenUSA

Like they couldn't wear disguises as they did in their TV show...

Anyone else remember that Michael Nesbitt's mother invented White-Out?

March 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Selfish Shellfish

"Invented?" She took white poster paint and added water. She was no Thomas Edison.

March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerome Horowitz

Maybe not, but she sold the company for a lot of cashola! Mike was millionaire, I think.

March 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • P.J.

The name is Nesmith and the product was liquid paper.

If you`re on the net anyway, why not take a minute and do some research before commenting.

March 9, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  58. brenda bernard

I misspelled Michael Jackson, oops i was so upset , anyway get over yourself, let them pay their final respect,ENOUGH SAID.

March 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sheila

I'm the same as alot of you. they were great. I could not wait to watch them. Good clean funny stuff. I had my posters too and did alot of "Day Dreamin" of my own. Thank You Davy. And Thank You Mike, Peter, and Mickey for all the great memories. God Bless

March 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  60. HappynTx

Finally...no hoopla over a celeb's death! They're people just like the rest of us...thanks for having class Mickey, Peter, and Mike! RIP Davey!

March 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  61. brenda bernard

GIVE ME A BREAK, THAT FAMILY IS BEING RIDICULOUS THEY WERE HIS FRIENDS AND BAND MATES, THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO PAY THEIR LAST RESPECTS, I LIKED THEM, BUT MICHAEL JAVKSON THEY WERE NOT. I GUARANTEE YOU , THE MEDIA WILL NOT SWARM THIS FUNERAL UNLESS SOME HUGE STARS CAME, SO EXHALE AND GET OVER IT!!!!

March 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Wow, Brenda, why are you so upset about this ? Mike, Micky, an Peter ARE being allowed to pay thier last respects, and they have chosen to do that by honoring the families wishes. You should relax. A fine and talented gentleman has passed away. He will be missed, and hopefully, you will be ignored.

March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacks

STOP YELLING. WE GET IT.

March 8, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Brenda,

Perhaps the band members already had a private meeting with the family to pay their last respects? Ever consider that?

March 9, 2012 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  62. Thomas Henley

The New Monkees never got off the ground in the middle eighties but the open casting calls in all the major cities lured tens of thousands of hopefuls in each city looking to get a part on the show.

Gone but not forgotten the Monkees are likely to be a lasting part of American Pop Culture

Kudos to the band and family for keeping priorities straight at a time of tragedy.

March 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Ballson Chinn

Hey, hey, we're the Monkeys, people say we're dead....

March 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  64. cold out today

I'm sure they won't be missing much.

March 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • lroy

I understand the reason why the tour was cancelled was because they were making "petty" demands and couldn't get along. SO...what makes you so sure they'd get along at a funeral. SO immature.

March 8, 2012 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  65. Jeepers

Are they expecting a Beatles type frenzy if they show up? A bunch of grandmas with walkers chasing them into the church?

March 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hellsing

A lot of us in our 30's watched them on MTV. If you have grandparents in their 30's, they probably met at a family reunion..

March 7, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Logic

No. Since the Monkees as a group have not been together (Mike has had nothing to do with any reunion) for decades, the MEDIA's interest is likely to be sky high. No they are not worried about fans showing up, just a few hundred photographers and reporters.

March 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spiff

Well, the funeral is in Florida, so ... yeah, there will be plenty of groupies using walkers.

March 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry TT

LMAO @ Spiff!

March 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • BinKY

Jeepers & Spiff: only thing to say to your posts is that one day you will be one of those people using walkers....if you live long enough.

March 8, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • NooYawkah

@Logic, actually all four of the band members, Mike included (that makes it four, see?) toured together in 1997 for the 30th anniversary of the band. It was only them on stage, no backing musicians. After touring Britain, Mike suddenly disappeared for the U.S. dates, but even still, they remained friends, performing many Nesmith songs (thereby earning him royalties).

March 9, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  66. @greg

Great insight Greg. I know exactly who they are and I'm far from 50.

@longtooth: Actually, the Beatles were a copy of the Monkees. The Monkees were the first American "boy band" before the Beatles got here.

March 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ @greg

well.......actually.......the beatles were here a couple of years before the monkees were on tv. i remember sitting in my grandparents' house and watching the beatles on the ed sullivan show. my grandmother passed before the monkees tv show premiered. lets see...beatles in states in 1964...monkees on tv in 1967. make that 3 years.

March 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • John N.

You're wrong as I suspected.... according to Wikipedia, the Monkees were formed in 1966 by Robert Rafelson & Bert Schneider for the TV show. The Beatles formed in 1960, 6 years before the Monkees made their debut. At the time when the Monkees had formed, the producers seen that the Monkees were a "Beatle like band" and I'm assuming hoping to inherit some of their popularity. Of course there is no comparison to the 2 bands... the Beatles were far more creative musically where as the Monkees was just another 60s bubblegum band.

March 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • jt

> Actually, the Beatles were a copy of the Monkees. The Monkees were the first American "boy band" before the Beatles got here.

Wrong. The Beatles were several years before the Monkees. The Monkees were TV's attempt to cash in on some of the Beatles success. That said, I enjoyed some of their songs and their show. It was lighthearted fun.

March 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • lroy

Johnny-just don't believe everything on Wiki. For those who worked for Dolenz or the group, I'm sure they were nice people but if you're married more than once, then "maybe" they weren't so nice.

March 8, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  67. coy4one

"I guess I should have stayed in bed.....
    My pillow wrapped around my head....
    Instead of waking up to find....
    A nightmare of a different kind....
    He went away.....
    This just doesn't seem to be my day."

March 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  68. dean

The headline on the CNN home page made it sound like they were disrespectfully bailing out on the service, but the article clarifies that they are doing it out of respect for the family's wishes. Misleading headline makes the band look bad.

March 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Agreed.

March 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

The article starts with the main fact and ends with details. Not everything in print is a tweet.

March 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rik

I agree. The headline was misleading. Having worked once with Dolenz, I can say that if he were to be disrespectful I would have ben greatly surprised. In my experience he was practical, down-to-earth, and genuinely compassionate.

March 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Misleading Headlines

That is a trademark of one-liner links to articles – I actually used it at work for a newsletter to bring attention to material we wanted people to read but knew we'd have to draw them in with some sensational or humorous tagline...in fact, I used to call that part of my newsletter the "CNN headline".

Funny ones I love, but mis-leading ones, well, if they don't have the desired effect of getting someone to click on the article, the reader (or skimmer) goes away thinking that the headline WAS the news – which, of course, it rarely ever is.

March 8, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

But the way the headline was written snares in the readers. That's kinda the purpose of a headline.

March 9, 2012 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
    • NooYawkah

Yes, every article on every news website makes it sound like either the surviving band members were banned from the funeral, or they all didn't think it was worth the bother to show up, followed by the real facts a few paragraphs down. I've already taken the Daily Mail to task about it. Up next, the Wall Street Journal!!!

March 9, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  69. Brian

Here he comes...

March 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nat

walkin down the street....

March 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • mojoworking

get the funniest looks..

March 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jordan Cleets.

Brian it's here We come.

March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry TT

Here we come, walking down the street, get the funniest looks from everyone we meet, Hey hey we're the monkees, ppl say we're monkee'g around we're too busy singing to put anybody down. We're just trying to be friendly, cmon let's sing and play we're the young generation and we got something to say...hey hey ...RIP Davy and to the monkees, don't worry about going to his service, he won't come to yours either. (Kidding)

March 7, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry TT

I 4got...So you better get ready, we may be coming to your town. Lol

March 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lroy

I'm fast approaching 50 and a "second generation" viewer only because I was too young to watch the original broadcast in prime time.

March 8, 2012 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  70. woody

How narcissistic, yet hollowly humble, that Dolenz would fear that 60-70 year old "groupies" and the papparazzi might show up and get out of hand at a "Monkee" reunion of sorts.

March 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee G.

Wow! How out of touch are you? I'm 47 years old and watched them all the time. So obviously, you're clueless.

March 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • coy4one

I agree. I am 53 and there are millions between 45-80 that watched "The Monkeys" on TV. If they are not still popular, then why are they still on TV, especially with "Monkeys" weekend marathons. They don't run unpopular shows to fill time. They run them because people watch them.

March 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

woody: even if they weren't swamped by groupies, the media WOULD come to take pictures. The Monkees were a big deal in the 60's, and their presence at the service WOULD be disruptive.

March 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cybthia

Maybe some people hadn't heard of that new-fangled MTV stuff when they were showing the reruns in 1985. "Daydream Beliver" got a lot of radio airplay again.

March 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alaskan

I don't see anywhere where he mentions groupies. And while probably few people under 50 years of age may be familiar with the Monkees, many people over 50 are. Are there are lots of people over 50.

March 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sour grapes, eh?

Jealousy does not become you. So you're not in the limelight. Deal with it.

March 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nat

I am barely 40 and I remember the Monkees. A Monkees marathon was on in1986 on MTV. Within months, the 58 episodes were airing throughout the United States, and in Canada on MuchMusic. Their "20th Anniversary Tour", was playing stadiums as the series caught on, and the tour drew critical praise.

I am proud to say my boys listen to the music of Van Halen, Rolling Stones, etc.

Will you be able to say that when you are older about some groups today ?? Seriously....

March 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Look Woody, Mike, Micky, and Peter are simply doing what Davy's family has asked them to do, and for good reason. You may call that narcissistic and hollow, but I call it considerate, thoughtful, and – if you will excuse a kind of silly metaphor – entirely "Monkee-like".

March 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I work in the death care business, and I can tell you that I've seen funerals for people far less famous than Davy Jones that were complete mob scenes because care was not taken to manage the funeral and burial properly. Likewise I've seen services for people nearly as famous that went without a hitch because care was taken to insure the family's privacy.

March 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • rckymtn4

"Hollowly humble?"

March 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  71. james

This is one of the nicest things ive heard lately...Clearly the Jones family is very smart , and The other band members have alot of class to show their respect this way..and understand.

March 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  72. greg

yeah..the monkees are always gettin mobbed by the paparazzi. Give me a break! you'd be hard pressed to find anybody under 50 who has any clue who they are.

March 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • longtooth

They were the group that was copied by the Beatles, right?

March 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee G.

I'm under 50 and used to watch them all the time (and I'm not talking re-runs). So you might want to think twice before mouthing off like that. Or at least do a little research first.

March 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I loved the TV show and thought it was clever, and (gasp) I'm under 50, too.

And even if they ONLY appealed to people 50+, why does that make it irrelevant? Do you think people stop becoming important after they hit 30 or something? If so, that's really sad...

March 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

I'm 31 and I know. Then again I'm pretty awesome.

March 7, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Children will be children I suppose

"Under 50"? They're still pretty much immature. The older generations control everything, to include the purse strings.

You'd be both wiser and better off if you'd realize and acknowledge this by showing proper deference and respect, but being young, you won't.

It's been a problem with yonkers since time immemorial.

March 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I'm under 50 and grew up as a fan, been to concerts and there has always been teenagers there.

The teens today would scream and get into the concerts just as much as teens back when they first toured.

Granted teens and 20 somethings if presented with a choice between Gaga or Monkees would probably choose Gaga... but good music has a way of surviving the decades.

March 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • gAWdAMNEDyOU'REsTUPID

oh Greggy poo.... Many people know who they are. Don't worry, when the time comes you can go to the Beiber service

March 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

My daughters in elementary school know who they are. Of course it helps they've been watching the show for the last few months.

March 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristy

@ Greg:

March 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristy

@ Greg:
      My nephew is 11 and knows who the Monkees are and who Davy Jones was. He even has their songs on his I-Pod, which HE downloaded a couple years ago. So yeah there are people under 50 who know who they are! On Monday my nephew paid tribute to Davy Jones by playing the song "The Monkees" RIP Mr. Davy Jones!

March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • I'm a believer

I'm under 50 and love the Monkees. To the person who talked about 50+, do you not think you will be 50 someday? Younger generations will be counting you out as well. It's just how it goes. In the meantime, have a blast with your life and remember the good times. Whoever you like in music today will be someone's joke for you tomorrow.

March 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barb

I'm under 50 and I always loved watching the reruns of them. They were very funny. :)

March 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danny C

Actually my 18 year old son, all of his friends and most the kids at his high school know who the Monkees are. They learned of them when Smash Mouth covered "I'm a Believer", an old Monkees song, for the Shreck Movie. It became their forth most popular song. They also have seen episodes of the The Monkees online, and cable stations play them from time to time.

Do I have to tell YOU who Smash Mouth is? Are you too old to know of the top bands from 10 years ago?

March 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danny C

If the Monkees had done a reunion tour anytime in the last 10 years I would have been willing to bet they would have drawn somewhere in the top 10-15 of current touring bands.

But than again, had the Beatles done a reunion tour before John Lennon died I imagine they would have set all-time attendence records.

March 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Florist

I hope that post was supposed to be ironic. I can't think of anyone who doesn't know who he and the rest of the Monkees are. That includes my kids who are all elementary school aged.

March 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dartman

As someone who works for the Monkees I can attest that the age range of fans goes from as young as you can imagine to as old as you can imagine. And if you think no one knows who they are, take a look at the social media outpouring at the mention of Davy's death. Most people on FB and Twitter are under 50. Not to mention the fact that every magazine, news station and website has been doing stories on the group since Davy's death.

March 7, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beatlejeb

You're a young snot who needs to learn how to show some respect.

March 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I'm 46 and know who they are.

March 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary N

Well, like many of those responding to your post, I'm 30 (under 50) and I know who they are and their songs. Oh my goodness, looks like you may not be as smart as you think. But please, keep giving your opinions on these stories, they are entertaining.

March 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacks

Hahaha, Greg. I'm well under 50 and I also grew up watching the Monkees. Nice try, though.

March 8, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • BinKY

My daughter is way, way under 50 and she knows who the Monkees are. Just because they are an older group doesn't mean that young people couldn't like them to. Maybe the group wasn't your cup of tea, but not everyone likes the same type of music. I applaud the group for being mindful of the families wishes. RIP Davey and my thoughts are with the family.

March 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexi

People under 50 know who The Monkeys are. Even my toddler has a crush on Davy and gives him a kiss when she sees him on the screen.

March 9, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Sotrue

What are you talking about??? I'm 45 and grew up watching them. I think you mean't - anyone under 35 or 40. Check your math.

March 9, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • NooYawkah

You're kidding, right? Go to any Monkees video on Youtube (there's literally hundreds of them) and you'll see comment after comment from kids wishing they were around in the 60's when the Monkees were recording, and how much they love their music over modern garbage.

March 9, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  73. debbie d

I grew up listening to "I'm a believer and fantasing being in love with
    Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz,many years of childhood memories, raced to get home from school to see them on TV... Thank's for the memories.
    May Davy rest in peace, Thank you for all of U.... God picked up another angel...My best to his families and friends at this time, may the memories stave off the grief and leave smiles for years ahead...

March 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Good post, Debbie.

March 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sotrue

Great post! I felt the same way growing up. Kids today don't know how good we had it back then – good times! Life was happy!

March 9, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  74. Bill

That's just ANOTHER reason I like 'certain people', they have class and style.....as opposed to 'other people'.....

March 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • longtooth

What are you trying to say?

March 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

oh, braaaavo (sarcastic clapping)

March 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • TonyInNYC

You didn't have to go there, Bill. You could have merely said that we respect people who are respectful and wish we saw this more often among celebrities. Your editorializing and what you've said between the lines doesn't demonstrate much in the way of class on your part.

March 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • barbraS

And your admonishing him for it shows class? He was being witty and intelligent. Must everything be black and white with you? How boring!

March 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • HUB

white is class and black is trash

March 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Ugghh... really? Did you really take the time to post that drivel?

Your a sad, sad individual "Bill".

March 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snipes

You morons don't know how to properly deNIGrate. How's this: What do you expect from a bunch of Monkees? Come into the light... join Rush... he is your friend....

March 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer Lusk

I love The Monkees I am a black woman,I had a crush on Micky I thought he was cute,s@xy and funny.I grew up in a time where it was unexceptable but I didn't care The Monkees were great.Please let's get over differences it's boring and over rated.Davey RIP.

March 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • rodw

On target Bill. The truth is often most uncomfortable for those that don't get it. I see the emotional trolls have latched onto your post. Weeeeeeee.

March 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • TonyInNYC

I'm with you, Jennifer. Or as a great philosopher once said, "We're too busy singing / to put anybody down."

March 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sol

And to guess why certain people don't like you

March 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christian Bale

Oh Good For You!!! And How Was it????!!!!!

March 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • politicallycorrect

I agree with your statement, class is class people..........irrespective of your colour, there was no need to make the funeral a circus (Whitney's that is) her fans would have respected that.

March 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • M.D.

Bill and rod,
      You guys must be in the 'other people' group.

March 8, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  75. Bill in Florida

Media circus? As in Whitney Houston's funeral? Yeah, good to avoid that.

March 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • john

OMFG! Whitney Houston is dead? What the hell happened?

March 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queen B

To all the individuals who are making the ignorant comments. How was Whitney Houston's funeral a circus? Whitney's family wanted a private funeral but there was such an outcry from the public that they televised it because that is what the fans wanted. Whitney was a solo artist so there are no other band members to attend her funeral only family and friends. Many people other than Whitney's family wanted to say goodbye to Whitney that is how popular she was. When she was bad she was very bad but when she was on top of her game she was one of the best in the world and some of her accomplishments still stand today and will stand for a long time.

March 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Well that settles it, if the public wants it, let's televise it...what a croc of s&(t. Another example, even in postmortem, of parents not saying no.

March 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Queen B

I wanted to add that I am a black woman also and I use to love the show "The Monkees". I am dating myself but I still remember the opening song and I can sing it word for word. I really like a lot of the rock groups from England they readily admit they listened to all types of music and it influenced their music. RIP Davey

March 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jody M.

Race has nothing to do with this,Bill.

March 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ToBillinFlorida

Media circuses are caused by the media. The bigger the star, the bigger the 'circus'.

March 8, 2012 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • lroy

What about Michael Jackson? II see the point of the family but if the media was barred, there should've been no problem with the three-at least Micky since he was the closest to hm.

March 8, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • delorrez

Its over a month Whitney is free of alcohol and drugs! You go girl! Your most sober period ever!

March 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • HammerHShark

Don't worry Bill. When you die there won't be a media circle – in fact, there will be no media at all.

March 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

What on earth does this story have to do with Whitney Houston?

March 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

"had a sweet little girl, I lose my baby, ain't that sad.......
      Muddy Waters

March 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • jacksays

how was Houston's funeral NOT a circus???

flags at half staff, really? for a crackhead. let's fly 'em at half staff when our dead soldiers come home instead. Houston was talented once upon a time but she squandered all of that and reduced herself to, first, a crack head and, second, a corpse at 48.

Oh yeah. def someone to idolize for the kids.

/sarcasm