Demi Lovato opens up post-treatment: This is a daily battle
March 7th, 2012

Demi Lovato opens up post-treatment: This is a daily battle

Two years ago, Demi Lovato put her career on pause to seek treatment for "emotional and physical issues," and the 19-year-old singer/actress has said she still's battling those dark moments in recovery.

The teen star left the Jonas Brothers tour early in 2010 to seek help, and she recalls in the MTV documentary "Stay Strong," which aired Tuesday on the network, that she "was not eating, and purging, and self-harming. It was really difficult to be able to stop....I had so many issues underneath that needed to be taken care of, and we just kept putting band-aids over it. It literally ended up driving me insane."

But that was what she faced in private - to the public, she was one of Disney Channel's talented stars, and a potential role model.

"When I first started in the industry, I was with Disney Channel and everyone just kind of made me a role model, and I hated that. I was partying, I was self-medicating, and I was like, you don't know what I'm suffering with, you don't know what I'm dealing with, why would you want your kids to be like me?...I felt like I was living a lie."

Her parents intervened to help her get the treatment she needed, and in January of 2011, Lovato returned home. MTV captures her first Thanksgiving following her time spent seeking help, as well as her first tour since the 2010 concerts with the Jonas Brothers.

The singer admits, "There are days when I don't think I can make it. Now I'm being healthy, but that's the thing. An addition is an addiction, and you're going to deal with it for the rest of your life. And you're going to have days where you're going to struggle. I cannot tell you that I have not thrown up since treatment. I cannot tell you that I haven't cut myself since treatment. I am not perfect. This is a daily battle, that I will face for the rest of my life."

Thankfully, she has her music to help her through.

"Without music," she said, "it would be really, really hard to survive and really, really hard to stay in recovery."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. cheap wedding dresses

Hi We are so delighted I came across your website, I truly found you by accident, as i was observing on aol for something else, Anyhow We are below now and definitely want to say give thanks to for any tremendous publish plus a at all times interesting blog site. Remember to keep up the truly amazing function.
    cheap wedding dresses http://www.shopfor-bridal.com

October 27, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  2. monchito andrade

man look thats my baby and if she would ever considerlooking for a reall relation ship i would love to give her one my facebook is babyboi16@yahoo.com im 18 at the momment and im kinda locked up at the momment at jamesburg but yeah demi lovato if you ever run across my picture and like what you see i would love to get to know you reall talk look tho im if anything you can hit me up on my facebook or write to me my info to were im at now is monchito andrade #68074 n.j.t.s 1state home road po box 500 monro township nj 08831

April 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jellybean

"I had so many issues underneath that needed to be taken care of." And what the heck are those underlying issues? So stupid.

March 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

You have to be kidding me! What the H E L L is wrong with you?

March 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sly Sadie

You know what? I just had a thought. They should just let all girls with eating disorders die. Natural selection would just weed all their weak genes out of the human equation. Problem solved, no more drama... but then what would CNN post about?

March 9, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Richard Fore

Listen up vixen, I'm g@y so leave me out of your pathetic jealous rants. I would be bi to be with any blogger that looks like that though. :) If you don't shut that piehole you will be trolled again. I forgot, your a attention ho and luv that. I am sick of you. Do your self a flavor and drop to your knees and lick my balls looser.

March 8, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Well Now

That's just silly! In order to look like any of the female bloggers here, she would have to gain about 100 pounds, get horrible acne, grow her hair frizzy and keep it unkempt. She would also have to dress like a female gym teacher, not have a boyfriend and get a humongous rear-end from sitting in front of her PC all day reading these blogs. The picture would also have to show her on her knees in front of one of the desperate male bloggers, specifically Richard Fore or Coolbreeze. Have a great day!

March 8, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • @Well Now

Vixxy, is that you? I think you are describing yourself with that post. Your jealousy is showing through again. Why don't you lay off the other gals? You are such a sad, jealous individual. Nobody thinks your beautiful anymore, so you attack somebody you don't even know. Who is the desperate one? You are always on the attack. You are one classless act. Grow up, girly. Nobody finds you funny, and your posts are just a reflection of your true self. Very sad!

March 8, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  8. Alice

Before reading this artical, I didn't like her. But now I feel sorry for her and I like the way that she confessed her issue overtly

March 8, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. .•|•.

Oh man, when I 1st saw her pic I had to look again...she looks a lot like 1 of our bloggers! Luckily she doesn't share her issues. Lol!

March 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. buZysuZy

Poor girl... Hope she gets the help she desperately needs.

March 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jody M.

Another here today gone today h o.

March 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |