Susan Sarandon on aging gracefully
March 6th, 2012

Susan Sarandon on aging gracefully

Hollywood is notoriously tough on older women, but as Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep and Susan Sarandon have proved, there's nothing at all to fear about being seasoned.

Sarandon, 65, has watched herself mature on the big screen for decades. Now starring alongside Jason Segel, Ed Helms and Judy Greer in this month's comedy "Jeff, Who Lives At Home," the actress reveals what she's learned about aging gracefully in the business.

"The thing that I finally told my daughter, which dawned on me at one point, was that you have to love your imperfections, because that's what makes you you," Sarandon says. "Not that I would be so eager to jump around with my clothes off at this point in my life, but understanding that your face is you, and whatever your anxieties are, don't take it out on your body."

This isn't to say that she's opposed to cosmetic enhancements - within reason.

If one goes that route, Sarandon says, "Try to maintain who you are...You don't want to look like you're 20 when you're 60. That's why you have work on what's on the inside, because that is what's going to make the difference."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities

1. savannahcoop

I loved what she had to say about loving your imperfections. That is such an important part of aging gracefully! At some point we have to just accept who we are and love that person. I work with senior citizens every day, helping them cover the out of pocket gaps brought on by government Medicare. Many of them are always looking for different tips and tricks to stay healthy and look younger. I will definitely have to pass this information along.

This article was very well written! Thank you so much for sharing. feel free to check out our brand new website any time. We'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

June 25, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Susan Hess Logeais

I first fell in love with her in Rocky Horror Picture Show and have loved her ever since. A talented actress with tremendous heart and integrity.

March 8, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  3. liveimpact

Love her as an actor, but really – living with what you have, She had her eyes and other "repairs" / plastic surgery done. She looks better, but it is not her natural look.
    A girl with a new nose, face lift, breast job, butt implants, puffy lips, and other implants – Seeks Real Male. It is an old joke. We all get old, we get tired looking – some faster than others – but bottom line we are what we are and we have to love our self the way we are before we can truly love someone else for who they are....

March 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pirkko

I love this woman! She's beautiful and intelligent.

March 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • jb2817

Well if beauty is only skin deep she was born inside out, effin lib sea hag

March 8, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Patricia S. Dumas

Pliny, I couldn't of said it better. Thumbs up!

March 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff, Chicago

Susan Sarandon looks horrible!!! If the writer of this article thinks she aged gracefully, then he needs glasses. Susan Sarandon looks like a prune.

March 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hot Flash Films PDX

She looks her age which is 58. If you saw what women really looked like in magazines or on TV, without retouching and special lighting, or without botox and fillers, then they'd look a lot like she does. I'm 53, and although people say I look great for my age, every time I see myself in half light, I am very aware of how things have changed.
      So, Jeff, take a look at your mother, if she's still around, or other women who are almost 60, and see what they look like before you judge so harshly.

March 8, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • reallynow

The article says she's 65. I suppose you are rich and can therefore keep trading down to 20 somethings, that's your choice, but I doubt you'll look all that great at that age unless you spend your wealth on a load of surgery.

March 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. nomemory

Wow how fast she's forgotten all the years she pimped herself out to hollyweird just like all the other starlets. She aged about as gracefully as Madonna, the queen of STD's....

March 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dizzyblonde

Yea but she's got a mental disorder, she's a liberal progressive. Nice pins though.

March 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Another classy Republican representing his species.

March 6, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiZi361

Most of Hollywood has that mental disorder!

March 7, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

I have a question for you republican/conservative/christian/facist/freaks.

"How does it feel to be on the wrong side of every single issue in the universe?"

In your moment of clarity...when you drop all the BS that you spew....and you see yourself, and the world for what it is....how does it make you feel when you realize that your position on EVERYTHING is just wrong?

Do you feel ashamed about your stance on: guns, abortions, church-n-state, rich-n-poor, taxes, social-welfare, Ronnie Rayguns, George "The Boy Prez" Bush...and on and on and on....

We all know that you are nothing more than old, frightened, white-people. Do you ever realize that yourself? Do you look at history and realize that you are dinosaurs (yes..we know you don't believe in evolution)?

So please...go back to listening to Rush, and pretending that you have a grasp on reality. Just keep on doing and fearing what your corporate-masters and wall-street-one-percenters tell you to do and fear. And don't forget to vote against your own economic self-interest. Because that's what you people do. You ignore reality because you fear it.

March 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry TT

Well said Pliny!

March 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexie Longstreet - Savvy + Company - Charlotte Homes

Do you really think she is mental?

March 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Richard Kidd

She's very talented,the first movie I ever saw here in was the Rocky Horror Picture Show.I was in the eighth grade,my mom had just given birth to my sister and my uncle took me and my cousins to see it,It was so cool,and Susan was and still is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.

March 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |