March 5th, 2012

Lindsay Lohan brings in high ratings for 'SNL'

Lindsay Lohan's "comeback" hosting gig on "Saturday Night Live" hasn't received rave reviews, but at least the viewers showed up to watch.

According to TVByTheNumbers.com, Lohan's fourth time hosting the late night comedy show, along with musical guest Jack White, yielded the second-highest ratings of the season.

With a 5.5 overnight household rating, it was bested only by the January 7edition of "SNL," which had Charles Barkley as host and Kelly Clarkson as the musical guest. (That episode did have the lead-in of the NFL Wild Card playoff game.)

"SNL" viewers knew what to expect from Lohan before Saturday's show, as she showed in promos that she wasn't afraid to make fun of herself.

Her opening monologue made pointed references to her legal and personal woes, with Kenan Thomspon and Kristen Wiig checking her pupils and giving her a pat down.

TVLine thought that was the sign of bad things to come, calling the bit "so red-dog lazy it didn't include a single fresh twist...And what's more, the tepid punch lines and underdeveloped sketches whipped up on this week's show make it inconclusive in determining whether or not Lohan still has the power to entertain."

And as the show moved on, with Lohan appearing in sketches like the Disney Princess version of "The Real Housewives" and the "B108 FM Morning Show," the 25-year-old actress didn't seem able to provide consistent laughs.

As New York Magazine's Vulture observes, "if the purpose of her appearance was to prove that she had returned to 'Mean Girls' form, it wasn't a total success. Lohan stumbled over her lines...and with her appearance coming on the heels of an especially strong hosting debut by Maya Rudolph, the drop-off in quality was obvious."

On the Web, MTV reports, "the early consensus...was that Lohan was given noticeably little to do and relied heavily on cue cards/teleprompters."

"SNL's" Taran Killam, meanwhile, has nothing but kind words for the rebounding star: "She was fantastic and really great," he said Sunday, according to People magazine. "She really wants to turn it around, and she was great. I was surprised. She was a trooper."

What'd you think of Lohan as an "SNL" host?

Filed under: Celebrities • Lindsay Lohan

1. backlink genie

Someone essentially lend a hand to make significantly posts I would state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I amazed with the research you made to create this actual publish incredible. Fantastic activity!

September 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hot Carl

The only thing I want to see is LiLo banging a bunch of guys and getting covered in splooge while her mother sticks a vibe in herself and watched her daughter.

March 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Imus in the evening

Ratings – so what. Lohan acted like a 1st yr drama student. All she did was read cue cards all nite, for the few skits SNL had her in. You could see her plainly look past her partners aNd her eyes moved reading the cue cards. I did not laugh once. It was a trainwreck. She has zero talent, except for having large mams.

March 7, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rich

Loved Her! She was great!

March 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. observer

her face looks weird.

March 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. rharri

Maybe she should have taken Whitney's place.

March 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SmarterthanU

LL brings high rating and a very strange face for a 25 year old.

March 6, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. rob

Lindsay was ok. She wasn't great, but she goes in with most people biased against her. I think SNL's entire cast relies way too much on cue cards, and not just the hosts. During the scared straight sketch, Kenan is reading off of the cards probably 80% of the time. The newer SNLs are horrible compared to the 70's, 80's and early 90's SNL shows/cast.

Lindsay still has a long way to go before and if she gets back to her one time 'likeability'.

March 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Niecy

I don't know about Lindsay Lohan. What I do know is Jack White killed those performances.

March 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cacique

Way to go you pretty blond...!
    It looks like being well behaved is already paying off for you.
    Keep up showing up and ready to roll..

March 5, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

SNL did it just for the ratings. This is the end of the sweeps month. Personally, she sucked. . I tuned out after the 1st skit. She's got no talent and was not funny. Her 15 minutes have GOT to be up soon....

March 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Di

I watched SNL; thought Lindsay did a fairly well job as host; why is everyone so negative? Give the girl a chance. I'm glad SNL decided to give her a break. Thanks, SNL

March 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Kevin

Lindsy has finally allowed her recovering to begin; the rediscovery of her remarkable talent will follow in time.

March 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBKcKSqi5Xg&w=640&h=390]

March 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rebbeca

Some one compared her to Drew barrymore? Not a chance Drew has talent! Sorry Lohan you are a washed up talentless hack and SNL must be scraping the bottom of the barrel when they had you as a host! nasty White trash!

March 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. comment

although she did rely a bit to heavily on reading from cue cards and the teleprompters, the overall quality of the skits just wasn't very good, so not all the blame goes on her.

March 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jay jay

ronbart you should have watched the SNL's prior because all of them were far more funny than Lindsay's. She was too obvious reading almost all her lines and she's been there done that so the skits sucked. And you will be the only one in the theater watching her on screen. She looks plastic and could be Cher's younger sister.

March 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. San Jose

SNL had her host because they knew it would bring in good ratings. It worked on me... I tuned in... and then 5 minutes later I tuned out. Awful.

March 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. valleto

Come on, people – she is amazing!!
    She tries to come back.
    Please, support her!!

March 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Observer

That girl really does look like heck. It is sad to watch a career in its death throes.

March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. be quiet

It was, by far, the worst SNL of the last several years. Her acting was awful and you could tell her eyes were locked on the cue cards the entire time. Awful writing didn't help matters. It's almost like SNL figured having a sideshow on to host would be enough, so they decided to phone it in for the week.

March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ronbart

I am not a big fan of SNL. I did tune in on Saturday to watch Lindsay. It was a great show. I am glad Lindsay is trying to change her life. I wish her the best life has to offer. I look forward to watching all of her future films.

March 5, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  23. No longer a Fan

I'm wondering if she even showed up for rehearsals. In the Scared Straight skit, she watched the teleprompter the whole time. It's really unfortunate. She showed alot of promise in Parent Trap. And I barely recognized her. Were those cheek implants? Her face barely moved when she talked or smiled. Why would someone so young, get so much work done? She reminds me of Heidi Montag. I'm not a hater, I just really feel sorry for her.

March 5, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  24. Atraio Catharsis

I think Lindsay wasn't given enough lines, sadly her acting wasn't as great as it used to be. The episode was also kinda boring, I did like the sketch on the Disney princesses.

I think it's a great start for Lindsay and I hope more people will give her a chance and let her redeem herself as an actress!

I love you Lindsay!

March 5, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  25. Steve Bridges

What, no mention of my death? I was hysterical on snl, unlike lindsay lohan.

March 5, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. Reality Check

I always watch SNL, but could only get through the first 10 minutes of Lohan's show. Yuck...
    The only thing worse than having Lohan as host are the horrible musical guests that they've had lately. I bet that they fumigated the whole building after Lohan was gone.

March 5, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  27. Squawks

Lohan tried, but she sure couldn't remember her lines. You could see her eyes going to the side reading her cue cards. She looks 35 and damaged. She might think about taking a year off, get her health back and healthy people to hang around, rather than "hope" she will change on her own. She will be the next Whitney.

March 5, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  28. Say What

Lindsay was horrible and should never act again. I think it's time for her to hang her actors hat which I thought was hung 10 years ago when she finished her last movie.

Time to go away Lindsay.

March 5, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael Prymula

I don't get why people are hating on Lindsay, I thought she did a pretty good job, I never even noticed her reading off the cards(probably cause I was too busy laughing) Lindsay will NOT be the next Whitney Houston, as Whitney's drug problems were largely a product of her toxic relaitonship with Bobby Brown.

Reality Check, Squawks, Say What?-You all need to get lives, seriously.

March 5, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  29. Gooy Gina

I quit watching after the 2nd skit – it was a yawn feast.

March 5, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  30. Deeg

I watched it, but I wasn't impressed.

March 5, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  31. Beautiful Vixen

I hate her. I hate anyone prettier and skinnier then me.

March 5, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |