A fateful decision on a shocking 'Walking Dead'
March 5th, 2012

A fateful decision on a shocking 'Walking Dead'

[Editor's Note: This post contains some spoilers for the March 4 episode of "The Walking Dead." Don't read any further if you don't want to know.]

It was a rare moment of agreement between Rick and Shane on Sunday night's episode of "The Walking Dead."

The two decided that their prisoner, Randall, posed too much of a potential threat and had to die.

Most of the survivors, including Hershel, agreed with them. Dale was the only voice of dissent.

In the meantime, Carl wandered off, after upsetting Carol and being confronted by Rick about what he had said to her. He came upon a walker whose foot had gotten stuck inside the ground near a swamp. After taunting the walker, he ended up getting loose and Carl took off after a struggle.

The entire group met to decide Randall's fate, but Dale was only able to convince Andrea that the prisoner shouldn't be executed. As he left the room, he told Daryl, "This group is broken."

While Rick, Shane and Daryl had Randall in the barn that used to hold the walkers, Carl wandered in right as Rick had a gun pointed at Randall's head, and encouraged him to kill him. Shane escorted Carl out, but after that moment, Rick couldn't bring himself to do it.

After Rick announced that he wasn't going to kill Randall, Andrea ran off to tell Dale, and that seemed like it would be the end of the episode. Instead, Dale heard a dying cow, which he soon realized had been attacked by a walker – the same walker Carl had accidentally freed. Before he knew it, Dale was attacked by the walker and before anyone could get to him in time, he had his chest ripped open.

The entire group, save Hershel, came to his rescue. Once Hershel arrived, he informed them that there was nothing he could do. Rick decided to put Dale out of his misery, but again couldn't do it. Daryl said, "Sorry, brother" and fired his gun.

It was definitely one of the most shocking endings of the series, and Dale's death will have more repercussions than any of them so far. With only two episodes left this season, we'll see what effect it has. I'll say, if the show has a shot at an Emmy this year, it will be because of this episode.

What did you think? Were you surprised at Dale's fate? Did Rick make the right decision? Share your view on video or comment below.

1. opportunity

hi!,I love your writing very much! share we be in contact extra approximately your post on AOL? I require a specialist in this space to resolve my problem. May be that's you! Looking ahead to peer you.

April 13, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  2. the_dude

Dale = taking all the fun out of the zombie apocyclypse

March 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jay Lo

Great article! I would say definitely one of the best episodes to date. I was caught off guard that Dale was going to die and now I think it’s something that will affect the group. I never miss an episode using my DISH online feature which also offers me access to thousands of movies and TV shows. I can go to live TV or right off the DVR which is good so I can see my recordings while I’m out. This is a great way to enhance TV and I enjoy this with my employee service from DISH

March 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ThatGirlBood

I dont understand how the zombie snuck up on Dale.. like what did he do, see Dale coming and decide to hide in the grass to sneak up behind him?! Made me SO mad! Am I the only one that noticed it?

March 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. BigAl

Here's a thought....

The actor that played the character Dale would have done a better job playing Hershel and Hershel would have made a better Dale. I mean obviously there's no way that could have happened but I just didn't get "Dale" this season, I'm not sure if anyone else can agree with that or get that concept from watching the show this season. There's something else going on with the chemistry on the show too that makes this whole season wishy washy between it being good and being really good and just kind of being a little bit bitter to the viewing taste buds.

I kind of get the feeling that it's a bit too gory of a show for the actor who plays Carl and some inter-twisted drama is formed amongst the actors offscreen that's sort of channeling into a mix between off acting or something, by no means am I saying the seasons bad, it's good.. but it's no walking dead season one. There's very little gore, a whole lot more drama, and the action isn't very action packed as it is dramatic and suspenseful, which I kind of want to see more action packed stuff going on.

I've got so much to rant about but then I'll have a wall sized post on my hands and everyone and their mother's going to end up drooling as much as I'll be typing out drool by the time I finish it but I also want to say I know that this show's based on a comic book, and I imagine that the comic's got a pretty good story line going to it, and I've kind of got a feeling from the direction of the way the show's going that the writers are writing according to the public (which bugs me a little) but I'm wondering if the comicbook story line would be better... or is better... if anyone follows them.

Would be neat to know.... 5 stars any way you look at it, great show (I think this season could be better)

March 7, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  6. David

Ok..I am, super confused here....there was a flashback to when the military where bombing the walkers. So, what in the blue hell happened to the military? Did they just give up or what?

March 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Angryblackman

This is just lord of the flies. Piggy is now dead and with him all semblence of civilization. The Superego of the group could not survive in a world where survival is all that counts. The Id (Shane) is doing his job well. The Ego (Rick) is doing the best he can but at some point the wife and the pregnancy has got to end. In no way does a woman ever give birth willingly in a post-apoctayptic world in which she will most likely die in childbirth and the kid will be dead before it reaches 4 years of age. I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. A book is written with certain parameters Intro – beginning – story middle – ending and afterwards. Shows should have the same set up from the very beginning. If Lost had been that way it would have done alot better. the first 5 seasons of Supernatural seemed to have a solid story. So I need to know that at the end of this dark obscure tunnel where all the people are better off dead than alive there is hop that the walkers will all finally decay into oblivion and the world can be rebuilt OR that there is no escape and they will all die period. logically there is no third choice.

March 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bbWalkerKiller

Has anybody even thought that Carl stole and lost Daryl's gun? Losing guns in that state of life is critical. Somebody will notice the gun missing. And it will point back to Carl. The Walker that Carl set free and killed Dale will come back to haunt Carl.

March 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stacey

I think Daryl will notice the missing gun at a critical time – when he needs it most!

March 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. me

MJ Your comment has me loling.

March 6, 2012 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  10. Will

I think the show is good. Most of these type of series start off with a bang and then dull during the second season as they decide where to take the characters. The last few episode and even this one have been boring and then " bang" , it ends with a shocker. I think the next 2 episodes will heat up and the story line will develope for next season. What will Dale's death do to Andrea as she was his buddy and in the end she agreed with him. Lori will have a baby and what will that bring, especially because she is not positive who the real father is . The two kids are now in love and the father is accepting it. They still have this refugee kid tied up in the barn who belongs to a group of 30 ravenous homicidal maniacs. They can take this story line a lot of different ways and I think season 3 will be very exciting if the writers utilize what they have to work with. Seeing as though TV is filled with reality shows at every turn, I applaud AMC for giving us something that makes us excited to turn in every week. HBO is the only other network that does this and you have to pay premium prices to watch thier show. Thanks AMC and please don't let this series turn to zombie mush.

March 6, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Christine

Carl needs a whipping. Twice.
    I read that "you know who" was biting the dust on the last episode, but was completely blindsided by Dale's death last night.
    I bet Randall's people come for him and that our group will be way outnumbered and get chased from the farm. I seriously hope Lori doesn't make it out. I don't know how she hasn't gotten punched in the face yet.

March 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rachel

I wish they made a more likeable character of Carl. He is pale, dopey, and causes more problems than necessary. From getting shot (totally get, not his fault but still!) to talking to Randall, talking back to Carol, sneaking around and toying with walkers.
    I swear I did not blink for the last 15 minutes of that episode. I find it so odd that people continue to say this show is boring. It is a story about surviving when there is nothing else to rely on. There are no cops or government agencies. And so what if there isn't a zombie killing in each episode- in this world that isn't a reality. Everyday they would not be battling walkers and waging combat with guns, cannons and bloodshed. It is not realistic... as realistic as zombie apocalypse is.

March 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • MJ

The fact that Carl is pale is definitely the thing that makes him most unlikeable.

March 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike fr/Muncie

Yes, but what happened to Merle's hand that Rick picked up on the roof. Either:
    A. Rick still has it in a drawer in Hershel's house. Or,
    B. Rick dropped it in one of the many fight or flight scenes. Or,
    C. Rick gave it to Otis for the "Barn Walkers", so they could have... Finger Sandwiches.

March 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. streerdude66

Without Dale the storyline changes immensely. The whole thrust of the story thus far has been what is the proper balance between Shanes argument which is survival of the fittest & Dales argument, which was where where does morality start & end. Without Dale as its moral compass the show is reduced to just another zombie blood & gore flick.. On a side note why are they worried about Randall betraying them to the people he was hooked up with? They left him to die so why would he have any loyally to them instead of his rescuers. A little more common sense Walking Dead writers

March 5, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bette

I thought last night episode was great. Yes I do agree that most of the characters are one dimensional, however, some are changing in this uncertain world and just trying to survive. It was inevitable that Dale had to go one way or the other. Being too nice or "democratic" can kill you in this zombie run world. The old days are gone. And as for that young man, Randall, he would not have come back to the farm. He would have been left for the walkers dinner. Hate to say it buy that is just the way it should have been. Rick and Hershel were wrong to bring him to the farm and doctor his wound, which was a waste anyway since they decided to drop him off at the school where all those walkers were. Randall may not have survived that fate. What a waste of antibiotics. They could have saved them for someone more deserving. As for Lori, I don't like her character either. I would have taken those abortion pills and not batted an eye. Not child needs to be born into this kind of world. And you can't tell an infant to be quiet went it cries and makes noices. Maybe she will have a miscarriage. Let's hope. Or maybe the walkers will finally have at her. I love Rick and Shane. Both keep a good balance to the group, though, Rick needs to get more harsh or harder. I think Andrea and Shane should stick together. She is a fighter and has become very strong and fierce unlike Lori who is a weakling hiding behind Rick.

March 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  16. lexie

carl needs to die

March 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  17. New to Dead

I recently watched all the episodes on Netflix so I could get caught up with the show. I have to say, I'm rather disappointed in the female characters. Underwritten, under-utilized and in the case of Lori especially, unworthy and annoying but not in a story valuable way.

I totally believed Dale's argument. Seriously, if one of them became isolated from the group and came across more humans, wouldn't they want to be taken in? Randall may be good, may be bad but in a world of just staying alive, you'll have to do things you don't like such as putting up with the unsavory until you can get away.

March 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Me

I'd much rather have seen Carl get attacked by Zombies than poor Dale. The kid is becomming an annoying little brat who doesn't listen EVER! He's rude to adults and thinks he knows all. I really liked Dale because he always wanted to do right by everyone else even if his thinking was sometimes far fetched. First time I've cried at an episode! RIP Dale!

March 5, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Omnigroove

Dale's death was inevitable from the moment he said "I won't be a part of it." As a man of conviction, he could never go back to the group, regardless of Randy's fate. But he did have the right of this argument: Once Rick took Randy back to the farm the first time, saving his life in the process, the kid became his responsibility and therefore part of the group. This should have been settled between Rick, Herschel and Glen on the ride home from town.

I don't think it was anything in the characters' personalities that let this come out the way it did so much as it was lousy work by the writers of the show. They needed Dale dead and so they manufactured a crisis by compromising the personality characteristics of the two leaders.

March 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kevin

it was a wild episode that's for sure! i really thought Carl would come back to the barn later with the pistol he had found and end up killing Randall. i do think Carl is going to end up turning into a psycho at some point.

as for Dale, if he had so much trouble with the way everyone was, why didn't he just get into his RV and leave?

March 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. WalkinOnSunshine

Is it just me, or is Carl trying to do dumb things just to get attention?? The kid is ignored almost constantly, except by Shane. This season is a pretty big disappointment...barely any walker action and the characters are more annoying than anything. IUgh. I hope the writers pick it up a notch...

March 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Beautiful Vixen

Now you have rocked the boat!! I am not one to f*#k with lady. I will come down to your podunk town in bumf*#k Texas and slap you silly. Then I will pump your plump rump with a super-sized stump of a dil-do!!

March 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Buttugly Vixen

Why don't you shut that pot hole under your nose you sloppy seconds trailer ho.

March 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. BethTX

Ok ms Vixen. You have proven that you are a nutjob and an unstable freak! If you literally push your weight around, then I will be in trouble. All your lame screen names have me running scared....ohhh. "Get a room". C'mon. You can do better than that you hole!!

March 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Beautiful Vixen

I iz one craaazy lez-bo. Watch out you trollin freaks! I iz gonna punk you out!! Just cuz I love to pump da poopers of chunky chicks with my monster-sized strap-on jig-a-boo dil-do, doesn't mean you can pop off!! Bend over baby!!

March 5, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mark

Dale tried to hide the guns which could have cost everyone their lives had an emergency happened, or if Dale had died. This kid had to go. He was a threat to the whole group as Darryl could see when he described the incident about the camper and his two daughters. Rick is logical, but does not possess the strength to lead by himself. Shane is good at leadership but is hot-headed. Both together are a good team. But in this new world, Shane is better. Darryl is great. Lori has got to go. I have never seen such a fan un-favorite as Lori. No one like her (Which a credit to Carrie's acting ability) Good show and can't wait till next week. Also, Carl is becoming what he has to be, fearless and not afraid to take a life if it warrants it. Rick & Lori want to keep him in a bubble. Had I been there, I'd be teaching all my kids how to kill if they have to. This is war.

March 5, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX

Rick is a great peacetime leader. He has the ability to strategize and consider the cost vs. benefits of actions. Shane is a great wartime leader. He's smart, decisive, and can quickly adapt. The group would benefit from both of them if Lori wasn't in there instigating and playing a Shakespearean villain.

March 5, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  26. Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

I wished it had been Rush Limbaugh that got tore apart....

March 5, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. @ beth

Puhleeze go away, I don't need any more girls on the blog. I'm a jealous woman with many alias's. Best known as beautiful vixen. I will troll your f55king azz right out of here so leave! If u don't, plan on my names to get u. U'll know when richard fore, evil knevil, get a room, coolbreeze, mr ed, and my fave name beautiful vixen troll u relentlessly. Got it beotch?

March 5, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX

Medication: look into it.

March 5, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful Vixen

I take them every day. Now leave.

March 5, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX

Yawn. Dismissed.

March 5, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX vs B.V.

Let's see you two dy-kos go at it! Crazy chubby biotches just lookin for attention. Hiding behind screen names...c'mon. We all know Beatiful Vixen = chunky fugly!! Let's get it on!!

March 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful Vixen

I am done with you loosers. I'll let all my friends defend me, so there! Get them richard fore, coolbreeze, evil knevil, mr ed n get a room. Your all in trobles now.lmao

March 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Running scared

Wow...all you fools gonna take us on? Bring it Richard Fore-skin and Mr Ed !! You iz some tough "skinned" folks. I will rip you a new one, ms vixen. Just cuz you tried the stomach lap-band surgery, doesn't mean u still gonna remain skinny. Eventually you will go back to eating Twinkies and kickin it on the couch watchin your favorite reality TV. Suk it- taste my salty goo!!

March 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beautiful Vixen

Alright! You got me! I am gonna give up this fight. I got nothin else in the bag of tricks. I'm just gonna go back into my hole and leave this bloggin to the professionals. I gave it my all...now I can just relax with my 250lb lady friend and we can pound each other silly....

March 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  28. BethTX

Adios, you nosy, speech-giving old fartt! Dale was a dinosaur who couldn't adapt. When changes happen and someone can't adapt, they die off. Shane recognized that before anyone else did. Walking alone at night through an empty field, far away from the group? Really, Dale? Darwin says hello.

March 5, 2012 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  29. blogger

D@mn I thought this show would be dum and never watche it. Any replays of it?

March 5, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  30. Sixx

Dale was a threat to the group's safety. Remember he tried to take their guns and leave them defenseless. I understood his way of thought but his way of thinking was dangerous, more dangerous than Shane's violence. I cried my eyes out though, because I liked Dale, he wanted to do the right thing and that made him likable.

March 5, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  31. cnnlicksit

I think the episode was boring as usual, except for the ending. I was surprised to see Dale die. So when does Shane die? It was leaked accidentally that he would die this season... awww man sorry I leaked it again.

March 5, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • BethTX

I've heard rumors since last season. If they do kill Shane it will be the biggest mistake possible. With the exception of Daryl and Andrea, this show's characters are one-dimensional and boring. I actively wish for the women to die and don't care one way or another about the men. Shane is exciting and unpredictable and has been right about everything all along.

March 5, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  32. NoNotDale

I think I almost cried. Ugh. But this episode made up for this WHOLE season of talking, drama, talking, stupid woman driving, and more talking.

March 5, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Phil

I hope that the wife and son die, and that the group then decides to leave the farm. I don't see how this show can survive much longer by staying at the farm.

March 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |