'Awake' poses an intriguing mystery
March 2nd, 2012

'Awake' poses an intriguing mystery

Thursday night's series premiere of "Awake" – which, like "New Girl" and "Smash," was also streamed online, as you can see below – left me with a similar reaction to the one I had after watching the preview of "Touch."

As with "Touch," there are lots of interesting elements in "Awake," but I wonder if a large network audience will stick around to unravel it.

For those who haven't seen all the promos, Jason Isaacs (best known as "Harry Potter's" Lucius Malfoy) plays a detective named Michael who got into a horrible car accident with his family.

His son died... but then when he goes to sleep, he wakes up to see that his wife is the one who died instead.

There's something of a "Sliding Doors" feel to this, but I also have to admit that the bouncing back and forth between his two realities led to a bit of confusion. I had to constantly remind myself which of Michael's realities I was watching, which therapist went with which one, and so forth.

And yes, Michael is getting treatment in both realities. Each therapist tries to convince him that the other one he is seeing (as well as the other reality) is the dream.

Then there are the cases Michael works. One kidnapping of a small child was pointed out by Dr. Lee as a clue that his son died, and in his "dream," he is trying to solve a mystery (which would make the death something he could "solve"). Not to mention, the mysterious appearance of the number 611 being crucial to both cases.

Plus, it's worth mentioning that his partners, played by Steve Harris and Wilmer Valderrama, are different in each reality. This, to me, was the only part of the story that didn't quite seem to work so far.

As it looked like both worlds would begin to overlap, Michael woke up one morning unable to find either his son or wife, and soon cut into his hand to make sure he was awake (he was).

When Dr. Lee warned him that this constant back-and-forth could take a toll on his sanity, Michael replied that it was a good price to pay for having his entire family back in his life.

So, the concept is handled brilliantly thus far (I especially like the subtle changes in color between the two realities – one has a green tint, while the other's is red), but what about future episodes?

Executive producers Howard Gordon and Kyle Killen recently told reporters that there would be stand-alone episodes, but obviously the new wrinkles to the overall story arc would be added.

Killen also clarified that there's more to it than the question of which reality was a dream: "The show is really about a man who has decided, and desperately wants, to live in both of these worlds...And as you try to live two lives in parallel, you see them start to go in dramatically different directions. I think the idea is that hopefully the audience, like the character, becomes invested in not wanting to let either of those go."

Isaacs even hinted that Michael may even stop acknowledging to his therapists that a person has even died.

At the same time, Gordon said, the circumstances of what happened the night of the crash will be explained by season's end.

So, has "Awake" hooked you? Will you keep watching? Share your thoughts on an iReport video or comment below.

« Previous entry
  1. 口コミ 美容院

ランニングシューズ レディース 口コミ 美容院 http://fuguchuaym.iwcjpdonimmense.org/

December 1, 2013 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Aardie

Lucius Malfoy! Wow, I did not recognize him.

March 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. coco

Saw the first ep and will continue to wathc, it piqued my interest and the writing and acting were first rate. Also love Person of Interest for the same reasons.

March 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

I liked it but hopefully won't get too korny....my guess is that he is in a coma and his family is alive standing over his hospital bed.

March 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • .•|•.

I was thinking along those lines, too. "Coma dreams". Who knows, this could go anywhere. I'll keep watching to find out!

March 2, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Grace

I liked it and will continue to watch. Unlike the writer of this article, I enjoyed the fact that he has two different partners and both were willing to stand by him. It's about time we have some different kind of shows to watch.

March 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. lynne

I liked it... but I thought it would make a better movie than a series. I just see it getting too dragged out and muddled played out over weeks and potentially years. Good premise, wrong outlet.

March 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Susan

I tried to watch, albeit unsuccessfully. Don't know whether it was the late hour after a long day or the disequilibrium I felt at the constant switching between realities. I'll try again to watch the pilot. Good to know that the color fluctuations were intentional and not the result of a faulty bedroom television.

March 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sharyn

Loved it! I thought it was a new and interesting plot that sets it apart from the CSI, NCIS and L & O shows. Love them all but need something new and different and this fits the bill for now!!

March 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Montana

I was hooked by Jason during a Masterpiece Mystery on pbs channel 2. He has a
    warmth and authenticity about him, and handsome.

March 2, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. Serpentk1ng

too*

March 2, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Serpentk1ng

I missed watching this show but it looks like it could be good. I'll watch it next time it comes around. Happy Friday to you to Richard

March 2, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. SJ

It piqued my interest – I'm going to continue watching it.

March 2, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • ANGEL

I agree, as long as this doesnt turn out that he is in purgatory like in "Lost" , i'll keep going..

March 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |