George Clooney on gay rumors: Who does it hurt?
March 1st, 2012

George Clooney on gay rumors: Who does it hurt?

Brad Pitt has joked that he and Angelina Jolie will marry when their pal George Clooney can wed his partner - as part of their stance on not marrying until all Americans, regardless of sexuality, can tie the knot - and Clooney's said it's a comment he still hears.

Even aside from Pitt's well-intended quip, Clooney's been the subject of gay rumors for a while - not that he cares.

"I think it's funny, but the last thing you'll ever see me do is jump and down, saying, 'These are lies!'" the actor tells the Advocate. "That would be unfair and unkind to my good friends in the gay community."

He continues, "I'm not going to let anyone make it seem like being gay is a bad thing. My private life is private, and I'm very happy in it. Who does it hurt if someone thinks I'm gay? I'll be long dead and there will still be people who say I was gay. I don't give a s***."

He also probably doesn't "give a s***" about what you think of his ardent support for his "Ides of March" co-star Ryan Gosling to be named "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine.

"Not that I don't think Bradley Cooper is a perfectly sexy guy, but I'm still shocked that Ryan Gosling didn't get Sexiest Man Alive last year," Clooney says. "I thought he worked hard and ran a very solid campaign, so I feel that he was ripped off."

And for those of you who latched on to his remark about Michael Fassbender at the Golden Globes - when he joked about the size of a part of the actor's anatomy in the film, "Shame" - as an indication of his sexuality, Clooney says he was just being honest.

"Well, c'mon," he tells the Advocate. "Every guy who saw that movie was like, 'Jesus Christ,' at the exact same time."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. DB

He's gay. And that's ok. But don't play us for fools, when we all know better. Who does he think he's kidding? People say, "Who does it hurt?" It hurts George Clooney. He lives "lies" on the big screen, and he is forcing himself to live the truly hurtful lie in real life.
    His modus operandi: "Date" a beautiful girl for a couple of years. Her star is falling and could use a boost. She's smoking hot and perpetuates his virile, playboy, movie-star image. Let her down gently. Move on.
    Okay! Okay! I'm jealous.

January 22, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe Schmoe

All these women are fueling the gay rumors; true or not.

December 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chazm

I'm not sure Clooney is Honosapiens... he doesn't look like it; walks with bent knees and has rather large ears – think his thumb doesn't oppose either so he can't be, right? Hmmm, we could ask him to get a banana out of a coconut shell and see if he can do it, but would that be the sure-fire test? It's all too confusing for me, you can't tell one thing from another anymore – I mean, look at Bonnie Prince Charlie as a Weatherman – Imean, who'd-a-thought? Now, talkin about ears, he's got a pair, so does that make him one of the Chimp variety My head hurts, it's all too confusing for me. Maybe I should just be a big Ot, and not think at all. Have you seen any Ot's lately, especially big ones?

May 11, 2012 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. get ipad free

Magnificent issues altogether, you just won a logo new reader. What would you suggest in regards to your submit that you made some days in the past? Any certain?

April 12, 2012 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Lamb

George Clooney gay? Who Cares!

March 30, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. wafu w

what i would have never thought

March 29, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  7. Irene

luv his answer! he's an awesome guy. yah...who cares if he's straight, bi, gay, whatever!!! who cares!

March 28, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bufnymom

One more reason to love Clooney. He is absolutely correct- what the hell does it matter?

March 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. English Only

Clooney just has that" I'm a stool pusher" look to him........

March 12, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill mahr the idiot

i'd hit that cornhole. he's a bottom cuz he's a liberal.

March 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MG

I don't get why is't such a hot subject if someone is gay or not. Whenever the subject of "is someone gay" comes up, some people's eyes just light up! It's amazing that so many people have this fascination.

March 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jacqueline

If George wants to keep his personal life private, he should stop parading a blonde female wrestler in front of the cameras. Mr. Clooney's long string of lovelies blemishes his important work to achieve social and economic justice.

March 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Allen

I see nothing wrong with Anderson not parading his being gay. It is well known. I'm a gay man and most folks who know me know that. I, like many others, don't feel like I have to parade the fact. I spent ten years in the military and most of my fellow Coasties knew it. Was not a big deal.

March 9, 2012 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. woodrow

I hate when people try to get clever like this. If he wasn't gay, he'd probably say it. If he was gay/bi, he might waffle like he's doing here.

March 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • urouttolunch

@ woodrow. You are a total i d i o t. Clooney's point is that a) it's nobody's business; b) acknowledging these kinds of things only gives undeserved attention to the rumormongers; and c) getting defensive suggests there's something wrong with being gay, which Clooney obviously does not believe.

March 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike P

"Brad Pitt has joked that he and Angelina Jolie will marry when their pal George Clooney can wed his partner – as part of their stance on not marrying until all Americans, regardless of [orientation], can tie the knot...." Oh, good, that makes tons of sense. Pretend you're making marriage mean something by determining to live in sin and have illegitimate children together. Yeah, that'll get your point across.

"I'm not going to let anyone make it seem like being gay is a bad thing." Gee, why would being attracted only to people you can't have normal relations with or make babies with be a bad thing in and of itself? I swear, these actors need to come back out of their fantasy worlds once in a while.

March 9, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • random

If they agree to leave their fantasy world, will you agree to go back into your cave?

March 13, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tim Lieder

Rock Hudson was gay in a time when being openly gay could kill a career. He would have been relegated to off-Broadway productions for the rest of his life if it was known that he was gay.

Henry Rollins has a great anecdote about how he heard rumors of being gay, got mad and then felt guilty for being angry about it and then stated that his agent loved it because it meant that he was properly famous.

As far as Clooney is concerned, many would love it if he were gay (not that they would have a chance with him) in the same way that many wished that Portia de Rossi was straight.

As far as Clooney is concerned, he has nothing to lose by being out of the closet if he was gay. He is already a Hollywood liberal who has fought for gay rights. He's alienated anyone who would be alienated already.

March 7, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. observer

this woman appears totally not for him..none of them appear for him..he doesn't get it. sandra bullock is more his age and type.

March 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Rocco

Yup,,,,he's a pickle licker for sure!

March 6, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. dinak

The biggest hypocrite on this matter is Anderson Cooper. He is g a y, but will not come out officially – instead, he runs programs about others being gay ad nauseum. If it's so great, and nothing to be ashamed of, then why is he hiding?

March 6, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Marty

Why would it be important for anyone gay, to acknoledge that? It hs no bearing whatsoever on who they are or how they do their work.

March 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

That's really bothering you, huh??

March 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Patricksday

I hope one day Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and George Clooney will turn the world upside down and come out, but maybe they Love their careers more.

March 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim Lieder

Now if you pursue rumors of Wilfred Brimley, Al Roker and that guy that looks like a pineapple being gay, I will believe that you are stating this opinion for reasons that go beyond your fantasizing.

March 7, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Help me out tim, who is the guy who looks like a pineapple???

March 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. maya zulu

George Clooney, is as gay as he can be. The beautiful women on his arm,are to keep people from really
    believing the truth. He does't want his fans to know but we can play the waiting game. And see if he
    will marry Stacey or change to another woman when the pressure is on him.

March 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. pandoramn

I don't believe he's gay for a minute! As far as the vacation in Cabo with his guy friends....I've known guys to go on hunting/fishing trips together for a week or two at a time and trust me, they are not gay. I think it really chaps some of these people that he doesn't take the bait and engage their accusations by so much as a single denial. I think he's a good, loyal FRIEND who means what he says about not dignifying the rumors with a response that would only reflect negatively on people he is friends with. All of the Neanderthals out there who are SO threatened could learn a lesson or two from George. He is who he says he is, does what he says he's going to do and doesn't give a rip about the gossip rags. Go George!

March 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martin

Why would tou, or anyone else care if he were gay? Does that somehow upset your apple-cart?

March 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. susan

I've always thought he was gay especially when he played in "Roseanne". "Who cares?" To each his own.

March 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. brugeorge

Just like Rock Hudson he is protected by hollywood community because his success is link to the love of all his women fans.

March 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  24. observer

i never found him attractive and i do not find his sense of humor funny at all. sorry.

March 5, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  25. Walex

This is the first report I have seen about speculation of his being gay. I figured it out a couple of years ago. New "girlfriend" each year and the clincher was when I read a story about him and his men friends going to Cabo for Christmas together. Sorry, but no straight men in relationships go on vacation for the holidays together without their women or they'd have no women to come back to. That is a what gay men do. My very good gay male friend thinks I am correct.

March 5, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  26. CM

You're an idiot with too much time on your hands if you think this guy is gay. For 2 decades his lie has consisted of movies, playing basketball and drinking beer with his friends and dating hot women while relaxing in Italy. Wouldn't you think that one of the women he has dated would get peeved and say something? This is just the reality of our pathetic media driven times.

March 5, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  27. Spunky Ned

Who is that guy your dad?

March 3, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. justicefor7

URGENT – Please read more about VERIZON. Things they don't want the public to know! I was tormented by racial comments that were ignored, then racially discriminated against and wrongfully terminated for making complaints about the racial injustice.

Please visit my Blog Page to see what Verizon did to my family. What they have done to my family, and continue to do is horrific. Today they still will not accept responsibility. So I will not stop this FIGHT for JUSTICE! It has been 8 years and I refuse to give up, but I need your help to spread my message.

You can read my stories about what VERIZON did to my family by GOOGLING:
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Cover Letter”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Press Release”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Requesting Criminal Punishment”

From there you can access the other letters through the recent post.

I am a man who has stood up against racism, discrimination, bullying, harassment, hostile environment, belittlement, threats, and retaliation, all while working for Verizon Communications, as they conspired to terminate me.

I am a man who is trying to hold his family together while in the process of trying to fight for my rights to be heard. I am a man who has brought up his family on morals, discipline, character, hard work, dedication and conviction to believe that good things happen to good people. I am a man who could not be more proud of my family for all their trust and faith in my conviction. I am man who is a proud servant in my community and deserves to be heard, as I am begging for JUSTICE!

Neal W. Dias

March 3, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Your so Gay...

You deserve everything that happened to you. Verizon did nothing wrong, you are a complete @ss.

March 5, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  29. well, duh

Well, of course he is. He is a liberal, isn't he?

March 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Skippy

Yes ...... ALL us liberals are gay...... You're an ignoramus !!!! But I like you anyway.... After All I'm a gay liberal and you turn me on!!! ;-)

March 4, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • tstorm92

It's my thinking that if someone has rumors about them being gay they probably are...the real issue is why does anyone care? (Other than conservative Republicans who want to control every aspect of your life??)

March 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Queen Latifat

Clooney is a total fruitcake. If you're a guy and you can't see that, you're probably just as fruity. If Clooney was ever locked up, he'd be someone's punk in 0.2 seconds.

March 2, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  31. derp

Dude gets more hole than a golf ball. I can't imagine he is a bone smuggler.

March 2, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  32. you fools!

who cares?

March 2, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

Very Friendly- helpful- funny 43 year old male lives in NYS that's pleyad WoW from day one. I am very Old School in essence of Guild team orientated aspects: gearing- keying and working to End-game (which encludes all 5-man Dungeons). I have end-game experience. Been there and done it: BWL and raided many endless hours gearing people up in MC and Onyxias Liar for BWL runs. I have ran countless times BRD, Upper and Lower BRD as well as the other 5 man dungeons. I am looking for a Gay-friendly-helpful-most importantly able to distinguish WoW being a game to have fun with a guild and socializing and in mind that the guild will work together as a team and never forget that WoW is not a REAL LIFE GAME! I started as Ally on Hellscream and left the server when BC was released, leaving behind me: 4 level 60 s Mage-Hunter-Lock-Fighter. I started a new life on Shandris and spent endless hours with the results of 2 level 70 s- Pally Holy and Lock Affliction. Pally is missing 1 frag Opening the Dark Portal in Black Morass. My lock is Kara ready. Both toons are frowned down upon due to gear on Shandris. The theme is if its not Epic Honey hit the road Jack! I am more than willing to relocate my toons on Horde to a better location with a better social orientated skilled Guild as in treating people as people not their gear. I quit WoW for 6 months and want to come back after the disappointing AoC. I am really getting excited in hopes to play with a guild and have many laughs and grow with them into the next expansion. If you think I can benefit from your guild as well as your guild can benefit from me I will be willing to relocate (PvE- in hopes that your server is relocatable) send me a Email at .

April 27, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  33. imus

Id f him.

March 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Cheetos

Soooo he is really gay as a brick like i am and not owning up to it.

March 1, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Maria

Did you remember Rock Hudson? gay and he didn't want the world know it? until we found out when he die of AIDS .Of course he will care to let the world he is gay ,he will not have beautiful women in his side the way does! if rumors start usually is true! I believe he is!

March 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Slapnutz

He gets more woman's ass than a woman's bathroom seat....!

March 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Maria

I am not saying nothing...but remember Rock Hudson? handsome,viril,married one time.around many beautiful women,having relations with them....and GUEST WHAT! he was GAY!!!!! is what I said,just saying......maybe he is? it will be not surprise me!

March 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. mikrik13

I wasn't sure until he was smooching with Billy Crystal at the Oscars. That must mean Billy is gay now too. Oops! Cat is out of the bag now.

March 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

I saw him smooching the Cat too, does that make the Cat gay? Hmmm, come to think of it, if gay humans come out of the closet, do gay cats come out of the bag?

March 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. me

Is that why Elizabeth C dump his ass?

March 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

March 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  41. outside looking in

Please let him be gay! He is my and Richard Fore's role model! I want to marry Richard so bad. I'm right there beside you Brad, Angelina and George!

March 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

Lol! You are a f@g too? Want to see lorax with me? Richards to scared to. I like my popcorn a 'certain' way though. *wink*

March 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. lol

Time for some greasion george.

March 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Bill B.

He's gay. The question however, is he Tom Cruise gay or Modern Family gay?

March 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • aj

Tom Cruise isn't gay, he's just batSh(T crazy. However, he makes good movies.

March 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Brad P.

He's a pillowbiter fo sho!

March 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • art vandolay

As gay as an olympic male figure skater, I say.

March 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • JUST COME OUT OF THE CLOSET GEORGE CLOONEY

It is obvious he is gay, he is using this ladies for now just to cover up his gayness . He is a cute gay man.

March 8, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. clooney

he is gay all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |