March 1st, 2012

Eddie Murphy explains leaving Oscars gig

Before this year's Oscars ceremony, the Academy was dealt a double whammy: Not only were they out of a producer after Brett Ratner resigned amidst criticism for an anti-gay remark, but they also lost their planned host, Eddie Murphy.

The actor and comedian told CNN that the reason why he withdrew from the job was because Ratner wasn't going to be there to continue with him.

"Initially, I was doing a movie with Brett Ratner, and he was going to produce the show. And we were having such a great time working together, he was like, ‘You know I’m doing the Oscars and I’m doing it this way,' and he had all these great ideas and he was approaching it like a director," Murphy recalled.

He hadn't hosted the show before, so when Ratner extended an invitation for him to lead the Oscars ceremony, Murphy agreed.

So "when they let him go as the producer, I was like, 'That’s who I was coming along with in the first place.'"

Murphy doesn't regret the decision, but he does hope he gets another shot at hosting for the Academy.

"If they were to ask me again I would be open to doing it," he said, "'cause it’s something I hadn’t done, and it’s super prestigious to be able to do that, and a bunch of great comics have done it."

Such as Billy Crystal, who stepped up to the hosting plate for the ninth time this past Sunday.

"I think Billy Crystal did a wonderful job on the Oscars, and I really wish I got the chance to do it, and I hope I get a chance to do it one day," Murphy said, adding that if he were to ever host, he wouldn't be over-the-top.

"I don't think the evening is about the host being extra edgy, or having the show be all about them," he said. "I think you have to do what Billy does. You have to go in and be solid, and you have to be funny, and you have to be smart, and you have to keep the show moving."

Murphy's latest project, "A Thousand Words," opens in theaters March 9.

1. alquileres en Cataluña

I used to be suggested this blog through my cousin. I am no longer certain whether this submit is written via him as nobody else know such certain about my problem. You're incredible! Thanks!

September 11, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. vino blanco

You really make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really something that I believe I might never understand. It seems too complex and extremely wide for me. I'm looking forward for your next put up, I will try to get the dangle of it!

September 6, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. microsoft word templates| microsoft office templates| microsoft excel templates| microsoft powerpoint templates

Hello There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That is an extremely well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely return.

September 5, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Edith

Holly, dear Friend, I am so THRILLED for you just imagine a whole day named JUST FOR YOU!!!!! Wow! I'll bet there are not many plopee in this whole world who have that honor. You are so dear, so passionate, and so GOOD at what you do thank you for the difference you are making in this world. I am honored to have you as my friend.Blessings and love,BarbaraP.S. I have a book on Appreciation, too, called The Simple Truths of Appreciation How Each of Us Can Choose to Make a Difference. Let me know if you would like a copy.XOXOXOXOX

April 26, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. reverbnation

I'll right away seize your rss feed as I can not in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me understand in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

March 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ron

Eddie wasn't against the academy, Ratner resigned at his own will due to the negative publicity caused by his statements that may have offended GLBT community . You can click "Brett Ratner resigned" in the article above for more detail. As stated in the above article Ratner had a vision for the awards show and asked Eddie to host. Eddie only resigned because Ratner stepped down when it was initially a team effort between him and Ratner.

March 5, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. JUGGERNAUT

Joe's boyfriend

LMAO....your reply and profile name are priceless. I am literally LMAO here.

March 3, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe's boyfriend

You tell 'em, sweetie! Now come to bed...

March 2, 2012 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. TJ

Eddie said if they asked him again he would do it. Why would he do it if he was against them originally for letting is pal go?? I agree with above comment. He didn't do the Oscars because his new movie was coming out and he was afraid that if he wasn't funny as host no one will come out and see his movie.

March 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Paulie

I don't buy his excuse. I think he didn't host the Oscars because he was afraid that he wouldn't be that funny and nobody would come out to see his movie. He knows how cruel the media can be and the way he joked on people for years.

March 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Actually his reason was quite honest and held back nothing. He agreed to host because a specific person was producing then he backed out when for some reason they let that person go. Sounds more "truthful" than him just saying " I had other/prior commitments" as we normally hear for so many major events & excuses from anyone in show business.

March 2, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Starr

Good for him! I'm applaud his humality and respect for people who are different.

March 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Isis

I want to see Eddie's new movie. It looks kinda stupid but funny at the same time. He always seems to make me laugh regardless.

March 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tyler

I would like to show brett a thang or two, idiot!

March 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tully

Love Eddie. He sounded diplomatic and respectful. Hope he'll get to host the next Oscars.

March 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |