Dan Aykroyd: Bill Murray won't do 'Ghostbusters 3'
March 1st, 2012

Dan Aykroyd: Bill Murray won't do 'Ghostbusters 3'

It's been almost a year since Dan Aykroyd said there would be a "Ghostbusters 3" with or without Bill Murray, and as of now it sounds like Aykroyd can definitely count on doing it "without."

"I'm the cheerleader, but I'm only one voice in the matter," Aykroyd tells the U.K.'s Telegraph. "It's a surety that Bill Murray will not do the movie, however there is still interest from the studio."

And yet, "at this point, it's in suspended animation," the actor says. "The studio, the director Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis feel there must be a way to do it, but Bill Murray will not do the movie. He doesn't want to be involved."

It sounds like Aykroyd gets why, as he continues: "He's got six kids, houses all over America. He golfs in these tournaments where they pay him to turn up and have a laugh. He's into this life and living it. I know we'd have a lot of fun, but I can't be mad at him. He's a friend first, a colleague second."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

« Previous entry
  1. Darwin Hoemann

I always like Dan Aykroyd because he is a great actor and comedian. "'":'

Look at our personal blog site too

October 12, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Viriss

THE ULTIMATE TYPO!!!!?I'm a Land Surveyor, and recently anoehtr Land Surveyor, who I know to be a fine and intelligent man, opened his own business and, when I saw him, was eagerly passing out his new (2 months old at the time) business cards. I pocketed one, and didn't really look at it until putting his contact info into my PC.Now, let me explain that, there are different types of Surveys; Boundary, TOPOGRAPHIC, Construction Stake-out, etc. His new business cards offered up his variety of surveying services by name: Boundary, TYPOGRAPHIC and Consruction Stake-out.tYpographic Surveying!!!! Is there a better opportunity to butcher a word with just one letter and manage to openly embarass yourself so easily. I phoned him to point out the error and he was mortified. None of us are perfect, but I swear, Spellcheck is no replacement for basic grammar and spelling.Thought you might enjoy that one.

August 12, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sara

I love the ghostbusters, I grew up on them..I could watch the movies with the sound off and recite it word for word. 60 year old ghostbusters? That would be weird..unless they stayed at the office and had their kids doing the actual busting. I have absolute faith in Akroyd to make something amazing though. I support all of the guys either waay.

July 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pete

Say Dan Akroyd's character ate Murray's. Akroyd got huge.

March 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dave

I vote they replace Bill's character with Zack Galifinakas.

March 27, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Stackable

I LOVED Ghostbusters, I cant believe he wont do the freakin movie it would be awsome with him but probably boring without him!! Come on Bill once more for your fans PLEASE!!!!

March 27, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jason

My guess and hope is that Bill Murray is punking everyone and if he is I hope he continues to say he's not in the movie until it's out in theaters. I think that would be funnier then any joke that could possably be in the movie. Seriously he showed up in his Ghostbusters Uniform at the Awards. How come none of you see this coming? Maybe it's because that's exactly what I would do...I am a bit of a prankster myself.

March 25, 2012 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. A Voice of Reason

Save the money and give it to Paul Verhoeven to remake Robocop!

March 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stackable

Heck no that would be horrible they already have too many sequels to that movie as it is lol I would rather see a Ghostbusters remake anyday

March 27, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. Me

Why Dan?? Listen to Bill...

March 21, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sam

Bill wants to do a remake of 'Neighbors,' instead.

March 21, 2012 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Refriedbean

Some friend who won't support his old buddy in a worthy cause, plus score a couple of million doing it.

March 19, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. thebeast

Dan,

Why don't you offer Bill Murray the part of a Ghost as the principal protagonist of the film...He's past away yet he manifests himself and helps you and the boys save the world...

email me if you need a writer for the film...www.eclecticbeastband.com

Beast Regards

March 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sir Lord

The creator, and father of Ghostbusters is Aykroyd not Murray

March 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. hemnebob

i don't blame him. the odds of it being a good movie are 50/50 could be good as the FX are way better now but if the script sucks then it won't matter plus, whatelse can they do to make it even funnier or more interesting...i say leave it be.

March 14, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Heather

That above comment should read, " if they are doing the movie WITHOUT him.".

March 13, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Hi SarahEnjoyed your episode 6 (and all your epeoidss) very much. You make me laugh and I think you have your own unique style. I wish i could know you IRL.I am a mumbler as well. It drives my husband a bit mental. I find it is worse when I am nervous or a little unsure of what I am saying. Given you are podcasting and putting yourself out there, I am not surprised you find you mumble a little (and it is only a little and not that often). It doesnt bother me in the least and it is not nearly as bad as you think it might be. Thanks for a great podcast and it is very kind of you to offer up prizes as a cherry on the top.Tashtashbalaz on rav

August 14, 2012 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Heather

Bill is very sick. If he wasn't he would do it. I wish he would make a cameo if his health allowed. No matter what you do to the movie, or how great it is, it won't be Ghostbusters without him. He was Ghostbusters. My five year old son dresses up as Peter Venkman daily. He adores GB. It will be heartbreaking to see it made without Bill. And there is NO WAY to find a replacement for him. If they are continuing with him they should get rid of all of the old cast and use today's version of their old characters. Vince Vaughn is the ONLY person alive that can play homage to Vinkman's character. The other 3 wouldn't be as hard to cast. In the end it is just a movie. One that gave me and my family many wonderful memories and I wish Bill the very best .

March 13, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Brad

Who are we kidding? Bill is not important to the success of a new Ghost Busters movie! If it's a good movie, we'll all go see it... if it's a stinker, we'll spend our money elsewhere!

March 12, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gozer

Who's gonna tell off incompetent pencil necked government officials? Who's gonna tell the Mayor of N.Y. City that he or her can save the lives of millions of registered voters? Who's gonna date Segorney Weaver covered in slime, electrocute poor college students? Who will thwart the revenge of Gozer The Traveler during the fourth reconciliation of the current McKetrick supplicants, when they choose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls will know what it's like to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you! Come on Bill! Come onnnnn! No? The Get Chevy!
    ?

March 9, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  19. aj

Bill needs to pull his head out of his highty tidey rear and do the movie. His kids would love a new ghostbusters. But apparently he gets paid to shot up at golf resorts to crack a few jokes. I guess we all know what kind of a person Bill Murray really is.

March 8, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • hemnebob

are you kidding me?
      so you know all this and you don't know the family but you just think you do?
      gotta a note for you, THE ENQUIRER is not reality. so give it up. there are plenty of other movies out there
      you and bill's kids can watch. get a life!!

March 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Chub E

Trust me, we don't need a Ghostbuster 3. Bill Murray is right – just drink and golf.

March 7, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  21. Wood Beaulieu

Dan Aykroyd's a good friend of Bill Murray's; such a good friend, he'll lie for him. This Ghostbusters 3 stuff has been a big ring in the nose to lead fans by, and it is a distraction to keep eyes off of other things going on around Bill Murray. Ghostbusters 3 is, and has been a "cat and mouse game". Murray isn't doing GB3 because he's too sick. With good friends and other resources, he's been good at hiding it, and has been doing that for a while. His legal team has been protecting his information, and has been intimidating tabloids from publishing information about Bill Murray's health.

March 6, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  22. Victor

I'm sorry, but Ghostbusters only works if the whole group is there. All the original guys are needed. It was a team effort and one missing piece can mess up the whole damn thing, specially when it is a very important piece that is missing.

March 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. shatner

I'll do it

March 2, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Piscopo

I'll do it.

March 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nik

Back in around 1991 I put tegother a replica ectomobile with a corect Miller Meteor 59 Cadillac. It went to New York and was driven around there for several years. I saw it for sale on the internet a few years ago and contected the seller. Seems he was the son of the guy that bought the car. He told me he had fun riding around the city in the Ecto-1. I have a photo of the car on the wall in my office. Wonder where the car is now.

August 11, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  24. ?

Bill knows this turd wont float. Seriously, why is this—along with Top Gun 2—even being made? It ain't Thanksgiving but someone needs to shoot this turkey before it escapes.

March 2, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  25. T

It could be two things....
    One – Bill read the script and feels that it could be a big turkey of a movie that'll bomb at the box office giving Ghostbusters a black mark, (remember Indiana Jones 4 ?)
    Two – Bill doesn't want to be in that overalls with a heavy backpack running after ghosts at his age, along with three other old guys.

So, two solutions – Original guys hire new guys to take over the field work for the business in the movie
    or have the CGI people work overtime to make a Peter Venkman for the movie (LOL).

March 2, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

Your second choice has lots of merit. Those that don't get that 'stuff' happened since the last movie was made don't see where this sequel could go. The original guys could have done the job so well for so long that they nearly put themselves out of business. A freak thing finds a new catastrophe, and they are not up to the big physical work. They hire the next generation, and they just run things. It works setting it up, and then can work in final execution. Oh, and Peter could have retired and just pops up for a cameo at the end coming back from overseas to find the whole gang exhausted and victors. He closes the movie with "What did I miss?".

March 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Eric

I don't get it. He'll do Garfield but he won't do this.

March 2, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • brian

He did Garfield because he thought it was written by Joel Cohen of the Cohen brothers. It was written by another Joel Cohen, not the Joel Cohen he had in mind. Then they payed him a boat load to do the sequel. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/jul/21/bill-murray-garfield

March 14, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. rick!

I heart Rick Moranis! :( Get out of retirement, please.

March 2, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  28. garyd

Murray's had enough with "Ghostbusters" already.He's haunted by the hilarious ghost of his past that was much more entertaining than the 2012 version of Bill Murray today.Cast Ben Stiller,Vince Vaughn and Jonah Hill as new "Ghostbuster " recruits with Ackroyd as Chief Ghostbuster in command and move on! Too bad Murray's passing this up oh well enjoy your life and thanks for the memories Bill.

March 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. jon

He did a movie few years ago bout a fake funeral for himself and it was straight to dvd so he's not too busy he just thinks its gonna be bad movie

March 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mikrik13

Bill... Please... you don't want the swan song of your film career to be a cameo in "Zombieland". Do you, Bill? Really...

March 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sad Fan

I say if he doesn't do the movie don't do it at all.

March 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

Or do it without him! Find another actor to play his part.

March 2, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  32. Patrick

Last Year in August 2011 on the 25th Dan Aykroyd Confirmed that Ghostbusters 3 Will be made with or without Bill Murray. Now Dan knows that Bill doesn't want to be in GB3 so they will find a new Dr. Peter Venkman to replace Bill Murray. We all want a Ghostbusters 3 and Dan,Harold,and Ernie knows that and that's why there looking for a new actor to play Dr. Peter Venkman. Look what happend in RoboCop 3 they found a different actor to play RoboCop and that was made and see the samething will happen with GB3 it Will be made. Bill Murray is a Funny actor but he's acting like an a** about not doing a GB3. Down the road Bill Will feel bad because in 2013 GB3 Will be a Smash Hit at the Box Office and Bill Will feel Bad. If I was Bill I would do the movie. I'm not Bill. The Movie Will be made without Bill Murray. I'll still see GB3 without Bill and other GB Fans will too.

March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

He doesn't want to di it because he read the screenplay that was written not out of a passion, but out of a desire to make money. He thought it was terrible. And I'm sure it was.

March 2, 2012 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
    • ?

This post reads like it was written by a semi-sentient spambot. Skynet, is that you?

March 2, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  33. Tyler

Best movies ever!

March 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Alan Smithee

They should make his character a ghost that they have to bust. It could be all CG and they could get his brother to do the voice. I'll let you know where to send the royalties after the release.

March 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. doug

Get Jack Black to fill in

March 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martyr2

Actually, that isn't too bad an idea! I think Jack Black could fill in just nicely. Well... that or he could actually conflict with Dan Ayckroyd. It would be worth exploring.

March 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • ur fase

or Seann William Scott, Will Ferrell, or Sacha Baron Cohen. Bring in some new blood into the Ghostbusters.

It seems Bill Murray has just stayed with doing small cameo roles these days. IIRC last time I saw him was in his small part in Zombieland.

March 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. be quiet

Bill Murray is too busy making good movies. Ghostbusters came out in 1984, part 2 was 1989. Why on earth would they plan another sequel 23 years after the last installment? It will be a bomb, and Murray knows it.

March 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Exactly. Murray knows watching four old men running around in coveralls and chasing ghosts will not be funny. And I'm an old man, so I know.

March 2, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodney in Dallas

Star Wars came out in the 70's and 30 years later they began making the prequals and those have done pretty well.

March 2, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • saopaco

Rodney, that isn't the same situation. The Star Wars prequels did not try to use the same cast that graced the older movies. The cast of Ghostbusters is too old for the sequel.
      Bill Murray has the right idea...Ghostbusters 3 should be made without him in it.

March 2, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Maybe they can play the ghosts instead
      Like some people murdered them and turned them into ghosts,and now are hunting them down again

March 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • KED

Actually, I doubt that it would bomb – maybe without Bill Murray, but not so certainly with him in it. The movies have a pretty sizeable fan base – and Bill has his own fan following. I also disagree that they're too old. The whole style of the movie could change with less reliance on physical comedy.

March 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • chaz

I always felt there WAS a third part....usually the third part sucks anyway

you guys are right...he has graduated to better movies (Lost City, Lost in translation)

no more silly billy

March 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  37. SCOTT MARINO

BILL! DO THE MOVIE!!!! WE LOVE YOU MAN!!!! I LOVE DERRR 80's!

March 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Richard Fore

FUUK U AZZ WHIIPEIN KOW HUMPIN TURTLE CRAWLIN NUT SUKIN PUK FACE.

March 1, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter

Huh?

Let me know when the drugs wear off.

March 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Great, when it's been so long since the franchise began that the Ghostbusters themselves are probably ghosts by now...

March 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ridho

, Yeah, yeah, and waved me off. Typical. Sign in local PathMark has one aisle marked Stationary. That made my colum, where I noted that the aisle no doubt won't move, but that it coinntas stationery.Keep fighting the good fight.Bob

August 13, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |