Lucy Liu to play Watson on CBS Sherlock pilot
February 28th, 2012

Lucy Liu to play Watson on CBS Sherlock pilot

Lucy Liu has picked up on another TV role thanks to CBS' take on Sherlock Holmes, according to Deadline.

The 43-year-old actress will reportedly play Joan Watson in a drama pilot called "Elementary" for the network. The character's traditionally male, but CBS is working on an updated take on the classic tale set in the present day.

This spin on Sherlock Holmes, written by Robert Doherty, sees Holmes living in Brooklyn after going through treatment at an NYC rehab facility to deal with addiction problems. To be played by "Dexter's" Jonny Lee Miller, Holmes will be a consultant to the NYPD, after previously consulting with Scotland Yard.

Watson, a surgeon who lost her license because of a patient's death, lives with Holmes as his "sober partner."

Filed under: Casting Chronicles • television

1. Ryan

Is Robert Downey any relation to Robert Downey Jr? :)

March 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sean

Just what we need.Another Bones clone show.No pun intended.What I mean is that we have here a female doctor who understands the human anatomy teaming up with a private investigator who works with the police.We all know how this will end with Mrs.Watson..Err...I mean Dr.Watson hooking up with Sherlock Holmes in a romantic tryst.CBS will tease us with the two of them flirting then eventually Sherlock Holmes will confess his feelings for Dr.Watson and they get married.The End.

March 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anders

I am sure they are thinking when to cancel it right now...BRING back the Good Guys!!!!

March 11, 2012 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nick

I think she's a really good actress if the right role is given to her.
    She did such a good job in Ally Mcbeal that her character was written into a show. I hope this one gets picked up as a serie. I would definitely be watching it when it airs.

March 9, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pants987987

I didn't bother to read the article. I just clicked on it to get a better picture of her. She's fantastically hot. She strikes me as being a real dynamo in the sack.

March 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

I agree re: her hotness! I hope the series takes advantage of it!!! (Whew, she's hot!)

October 11, 2013 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. pandoramn

Never been a big Sherlock Holmes fan, so I don't know if I'll watch this or not. I just hope Lucy stays on Southland! Her character is so gritty and real...I just love the way she kicks ass and asks questions later...definitely keeps up with the big boys!

March 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lady Gaga balls

Makes me tingle to think of it

February 29, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Observer

I do not remember Watson looking quite so...hot.

February 29, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris Synfield

What? Nigel Bruce was hotter than Lucy!
      This has FAIL written all over it. Get BBC America and see this idea done properly.

March 17, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bigshotprof

In the first episode, Holmes butts heads with a tough-as-nails female police detective who burns shoe leather, goes by the book, and doesn't have time for amateurs. He looks at her and tells her a lot of personal stuff about herself, which ignites what will be a simmering love-hate relationship, because he breaks every rule in the book, but darn it he gets results!

February 29, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gaunt

I can see the TV exec conference room now:

"Anyone have ANY new and exciting ideas?"

"Well, there is this 150 year old series of books, that has been redone on TV four seperate times, and in the last couple years has been revisited in two blockbuster movies, and now an ultra-sucessful BBC series."

"Well, that IS new and exciting! Nobody will expect us to make ANOTHER version of the exact same story that is being done to absolute death, lets go with that!"

February 29, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Alejandra

Back when I used to drink heavily, the fionowllg morning, I would fade into and out of sleep. I would remember what my (usually very crazy) dream was about, think of some ideas to take back into the dream. It was really fun. One example is that aliens had attacked and occupied. They hadn't caught me or some other rebels yet. I woke up and thought that I had seen a movie that used high frequencies to kill aliens. I went back into the dream and tried that. Unfortunately it only killed the giant turtles they were riding on.

April 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Talk Talk

Oh well.

February 29, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. Wendy

Ummm...has anyone seen the "updated" BBC version showing on US' PBS stations????? Good luck is all I have to say for CBS....

February 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kayak

umm...the British already had this idea and ran with it, creating the BBC's Sherlock. Good luck competing with this tour de force of a show, CBS – it's got great writing, acting and camera work, and it's won approval from Holmes traditionalists and modern critics.

February 28, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Anonymous

Wonderful... take an awesome book series, and turn it into crap...

February 28, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ANGEL

Maaaaybe... I do like Lucy Liu and the fact that they are trying to be a lot different with it might make it work.. And if anyone watches Warehouse 13, They made H.G Wells a female and it is excellent!! @ Jane I will definately check out the BBC version...// I havent watched CBS since they canceled "Jericho" and before that was Dallas..

February 28, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Matt

Note it's just a pilot – and like many (but not nearly enough) crappy concepts that are announced as pilots, this likely won't become anything more. Never ceases to amaze me how unoriginal so many of these concepts are. Hmm, an independent able to think outside of the box who helps law enforcement solve criminal cases. Brilliant! We'll call it Bones. No wait, how about Castle. Or I got it, The Mentalist. Need I continue?

February 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. be quiet

it's going to get cancelled, so why waste the money to make it

February 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pitambar

I have noticed that in an itnsant, I can have a dream that has a past, present, and future that far surpasses the time possible to construct it. I have had a hard time trying to comprehend this until I saw What the Bleep Do We Know? and the bubles with parallel observers was the best representation of this. I tried for years to control where I went, which bubble to choose, it was not visual mind you but more like essences (still have a hard time trying to represent this( it's like a smell on the wind that brings back a childhood memory long thought forgotten or emotionaly intense deja-vu)). Veronica, Have you had a deja-vu so intense that you paused because you feel like you forgot something that you needed to do differently?

April 24, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jane

"but CBS is working on an updated take on the classic tale set in the present day."

Um, BBC has been, done that. And it was brilliant. And part of the reason it was brilliant was because it was so different. The shows that take risks and are FRESH usually do the best. Why CBS thinks that coughing out a trite copy of a superior show is going to work is beyond me.

February 28, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ana

Totally agree! The BBC show is amazing... why not copy Father Ted.. now that is a challenge!

March 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Benlinus

Not for nothing but Jonny Lee Miller is not a regular cast member of Dexter; he played a lackluster guest star villain in Season 5. This new show does not look promising if the best plug you could come up with for the guy playing Holmes was that he's best known for playing the crappy follow up to the Trinity Killer.

February 28, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |