Praise pours in for Viola Davis' natural 'do
February 27th, 2012

Praise pours in for Viola Davis' natural 'do

It's no surprise that Viola Davis made an impressive stroll down the red carpet at Sunday's Oscars, as we've come to expect nothing less from the acclaimed actress - but she did manage to upend a few expectations with her hairstyle.

Rather than rock a wig, Davis showed off her natural, close-cropped hair, dyed a fierce flavor of red to add a little more spark to the chic cut she displayed on the cover of the Los Angeles Times magazine.

The curly Afro was a notable difference, and the praise quickly poured in:

Complimented LeAnn Rimes, "It takes a gorgeous woman to pull off short hair and Viola Davis does it so well. She's stunning, beyond talented & full of grace."

Wanda Sykes, who also sports her natural curls, tweeted Sunday, "Working tonight. In my trailer watching the Oscars. I hope Viola Davis wins. It'll be nice to see my hair get an award. Go natural baby!"

Fan Isoul H. Harris added, "Viola Davis has won me over. Wearing her natural hair and going va-va-voom in the form-fitting Vera Wang. She looks amazing."

But not only was Davis' style choice complimentary to her overall look that night, she also said that it's the look of a woman who proudly owns all of herself.

"My husband said, 'Be who you are,'" Davis said of her hairdo decision. "Step into who you are. [And] I really have."

Read Reporter's Notebook: Viola Davis keeps it 'real'

Although she lost out on the best actress Oscar to Meryl Streep, Davis was surely a style winner in our book.

Filed under: Awards Season • Celebrities • Oscars 2012

« Previous entry
  1. Kathleen

I thought she looked great! Skip the wigs, honey, you don't need them.

February 28, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. imus

Nappy headed loser ho.

February 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard Spurtz

Nappy headed loser.

February 28, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 1900innoho

Only in this country is it 'news' when someone does NOT wear a wig. zzzzzzzzz

February 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MaryAnn in VA

Md Davis looked fantastic at the Oscars and she always conducts herself in a equally fantastic way. Haters, when you are dead and gone, the worms eating your worthless and unaccomplished bodies, Viola davis will still have her name spoken in the comapny of other great actresses. You all will be forgotten. There is justice in the world. Rock on Ms Davis!!!

February 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jinda

Well at the office I work at, Lashinda said she did not like it one bit!

February 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. cbr

Viola Davis is a very talented and intelligent woman. She was outstanding in her role in THE HELP. She is a wonderful actress and I certainly hope that she will appear in other movies where her performance will be acknowledged by those who make decisions about awards.

The cast of THE HELP was an ensemble. The best cast of actors I have seen in a very long time. If you lived during that era you would realize how much was taken from every day life in the early 60's.

February 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • only in America

I Watched all the movies who were nominated for the Oscar’s this year and only one was ok. The Help was ok but not enough to get nominated for an Oscar, and The Tree of Life was the worse move ever, in the middle of this movie, honestly I wanted to ask for my money back it was awful. I wonder who nominates this movies, maybe a bunch of drug addicted people after all it is Hollywood, and we can not expect better from this people.

February 28, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. 1luv

In the 21st century, it seems ridiculous to even have to ask the question. However, since you do, Viola looked beautiful! Very striking. The color of her dress was amazing against her skin, along with the earrings. Her hair was equally lovely, including its color. Kudos on all of her selections for the evening.

February 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Juan Carlos

She should have won the Oscar!!!!!! I was so upset to see Meryl Streep being awarded for her rol of that awful british woman

February 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Who_Cares

She is a good actress and very pretty woman, but who cares that her hair is short. How is this worthy of an article? Other women have had short hair, Natalie Portman shaved her head for a role and walked around the red carpet. Big deal.

February 28, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HC

She looks absolutely beautiful. Not crazy about the dress, though. She could have done much better. Lovely lady.

February 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Debra

Shannon, you obvious are blind. Viola's hair is very rare in Hollywood and in entertainment in general. White standards of beauty (long straight hair) are encouraged and promoted, while natural Black hair is frowned upon. It's a big deal because she bucked the norm. Feigning ignorance isn't working for you, honey.

February 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amber Lane

Shannon is actually right. This is a big deal to white people who are clueless about black people. This shouldnt be a big deal at all. It shouldnt even be something that we're talking about. Because of stupid standards of beauty and what people "accept" or don't, certain styles are frowned upon. But how stupid is that? White women can wake up, shake out their hair and go to an event, while a black woman needs to straighten her hair and add fake hair so that she looks presentable? Shannon is right. If stupid fools weren't stupid fools.......

February 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shannon

I'm obviously missing the point ... what exactly is the big deal about walking around with your natural hair? Isn't that what we all do? Most of us try long hair, short hair, bangs, no bangs, different shades of color, extensions, no extensions, etc. at some point or another, so why is Viola "going hair natural" a story? Help me get it please.

February 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. arthurb3

Beautiful hair and beautiful skin!

February 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tgh10

I think the troll/trolls are fuuunnnnyyyyy! If you don't like it, anti-troll your sensitive a55 behind your mother's skirt and stay there. Your full of hate yourself.

February 28, 2012 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  16. CJ

She's gorgeous! I was thrilled to see her natural. This is making news because so many women wear wigs, weaves, relaxed tresses, and almost anything that hides our true and natural selves. She's more beautiful now than ever before. I wish her the best!

February 28, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  17. Oneshia

True natural hair is nappy sorry to say it. No she didn't need to flat iron it. Her little afro is beautiful. With her going natural her hair is going to grow and be more healthy. Cudoa Mrs. Davis.

February 28, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  18. justin jackson

R

February 28, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  19. tc

Yea she looks lovely et al but she could have looked even lovelier if she had gotten rid of the stretch marks on her arms knowing she would be bearing her shoulders.

February 28, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  20. Liz Carter

You haven't heard from me yet!! Just wait till I get on here and rant and rave and go all nuts on you white folks! Got to get me my jim beam in me coffee first thou! Then you'll hear me roar!!

February 28, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
    • anti troll guy

And YOUR posts are just as pathetic and lame. Of course you're not an angry dark-skinned woman, you are a 98-pound pale skinned library nerd looking to start trouble. I hope your school football team gangs up on you in a locker room, molests the he-ll out of your du-mb a55 then hangs you from a flagpole, you little willy hanging in the breeze...

February 28, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  21. tiffb79

All that chocolatey goodness! Her skin looks AMAZING! Love it!

February 28, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. Redrum

@11:56 -Lmao. yea try to make yourself feel better by saying/thinking that. Thanks for the laugh. That was priceless. *on another note* kudos to the troll/trolls that gets you fools all p!ssed off. It's make good laughs.

February 28, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
    • anti troll guy

I love people that encourage racism just because it amuses them and it's good for laughs. It's ignorance like Redrum's that makes hate-crimes and bigotry persist... all in good humor... Moron.

February 28, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mmehummingbird

@ TINA.Our ancestors did come from the bush, whats wrong with that?

February 28, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mmehummingbird

Her hair in it's natural state is not straight. She wore it the way that she was born with it.. Flat ironing is still an effort put forth to achieve the white look. If whites can appreciate our hair in it's natural state, why can't you.

February 28, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. j

Let's not forget that all black women do not have the same texture/type of hair. My hair wouldn't "fro" if I paid it to and my hair is almost to my waist and I do happen to flat iron it-but to each their own-She is a great actress!

February 28, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  26. Tina

Wow, I promote natural hair but it doesn't mean wear a fro. She should have flat ironed it because that hair do is mannish.

February 28, 2012 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
    • amber lane

"she should have flat ironed it bcuz her afro is manish"........ can u go kill yourself? thank you. your ignorance is upsetting my allergies

February 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Readabook

I don't think i like black people. They smell like corn chips. Curiously enough, i like corn chips.

February 28, 2012 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  28. Cindyb62

I think she's beautiful, and as a stylist would encourage her to show off her true beauty.

February 28, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  29. elizabeth

Viola Davis looks beautiful. I wish she had won the Oscar.

February 28, 2012 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  30. freethink

Love natural beauty... Live well

February 28, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. naps

nobody is jealous. just relax already and breathe

February 28, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  32. Desdomna

Lol

February 28, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  33. Love you! Viola!

I am so proud of Viola! I do hope that she will come back to visit us again! Central Falls RI

February 28, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  34. Love you! Viola!

Viola always looked great! Even back in high school days! Yes,she came over my home to visit and hang out with my sister. They have been best of friends! Viola's sister is a school teacher in the same High School that we went to. She is as great as Viola!

February 28, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  35. Mmehummingbird

Mammy ,your ignorance is really shining through. You are filled with so much hate. Hate has never made anyone happy. You are so sad. By the way more whites recieve welfare checks than blacks do.

February 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. you fools!

pray that the knuckle-draggin', saggy pants ba$tards don't find out where you live.

February 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mammy

Pray your welfare checks continue.

February 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nene

Mammy your a typical piece of trailer trash that is jealous of black beauty. I bet your very trashy looking and envy the beautiful star that you are trying to downgrade. Only trash like yourself find comfort in putting down other nationalities. She looks stunning and represents black women beautifully. Maybe you need to spend more time on figuring out whether your parents are really your aunt & uncle...you know how you all do it breeding kids by your close relatives.

February 28, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jenn

Mammy, I am praying for you, that you find peace in your heart. I am also praying that someone recognizes your shoes when you put on your cowardly ghost costume and harass innocent people. You are an embarrassment to every American soldier who has died for your right to spew such ignorant nonsense.

February 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Mammy

Don't forget the bucket of chicken in her purse.

February 27, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jenn

Viola looked stunning, the dress, the shoes, hair. All of it. I am white, and don't understand why so many people of color are busy trying to conform to European standards of beauty that even most white women can't conform to! We are women, and we are beautiful however God made us! Embrace your happiness, if wigs make you happy-fine! If wearing your natural curls makes you happy- fine! It is 2012, lets stop grouping everyone separate and embrace our individual womanhood, whether you are White, Black, Hispanic or Asian, why does it still matter? We are all beautiful, and made in His image.

February 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charla

Jenn, If only there were more people like you in the world we would all be much happier. I agree that everyone has their own unique beauty and it should be celebrated. Thanks for putting some positive energy into the world today!!!

February 28, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • LRL

Beautifully said!

February 28, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  41. Mammy

What's with the watermelon colored dress she's wearing anyway? Just sayin.

February 27, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. neek

Mammy- you are an ignorant. And I do believe Mrs. Davis is African- American and not and African; and being that you've made the comments that you made, I imagine you are neither of those. Perhaps you comment the way you have so that you can get a "rise"" out of someone.

Bae: The oscars might be "racist" but this is 2012. Thank God we are "allowed" to wear our hair the way we want to, the way God made us and still be beautiful.

February 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mammy

She let Meryl win in exchange for a plate of ribs.

February 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mfr

She should have won.

February 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Mammy

A tootsie roll with ketchup on top.

February 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Clearly you need Jesus. I just prayed for you.

February 27, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bee

Mammy,

Boy your mother should be very proud of how her ignorance transformed to how stupid and racist u r. Fool

February 28, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Dennis671998

Mammy,

Please be quiet. You are embarassing yourself.

February 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mammy

What's "natural" about red hair on a black African?

February 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Esre

I have been wearing my hair out right natural for about 6 months and see Ms Davis inspire and encouraged me in my endeavors keep HOPE ALIVE

February 27, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  48. audrey

Viola is so talented and beautiful , she deserved to win. Love the natural hair,she look so much younger and more beautiful. I recently started to wear my hair natural again and it's so liberating ,wish more black would embrace their natural beauty.

February 27, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Catlady

Viola Davis looked beautiful. Very classy lady. I can't say enough about that gown..

February 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katrina

She is not classy, she is showing all her breast and her eyes are soggy, man like arms, COM ‘on people, Viola can not even act. Taking about no talent, unattractive woman.

February 28, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmK

@Katrina: someone had their hater-ade this morning...

March 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mmehummingbird

@bae adams. It is great that Viola is confident within herself to rock her natural. She looked amazing. What you are really saying is that she would have been more appropriate wearin somebody else's hair own her head. Don't hate, imitate.

February 27, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jerseysore

Such a fabulous talent.!!. Beautiful inside and out. Saw the Oprah interview w/ her and cant imagine the frustration of job selection.

February 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • And u r delusional,Viola is far away from being pretty

First was the fattest and uglist fat black woman nominated years ago ( I don't even remenber her name) , then this years at the Oscars two other fat and ugly black women , what's going on maybe Hollywood is running out of pretty black women. Viola looks like a trash why she is showing her soggy boobs.

February 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Andrea M

Speaking as a white girl with completely unnatural pin straightened black and pink hair, I think natural hair on a woman of color looks stunning! It's unusual therefore a little exotic, really fierce, and ultimately beautiful.

February 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • totallycool

What do you mean by exotic and fierce...you mean like a lion or something. Exotic to whom?.

February 28, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • A thought

@totallycool, I'm going to guess by exotic Andrea didn't mean like a lion, I think she just meant we don't get to see that natural hair look enough, so it is different and awesome. Exotic was a compliment not derogatory...that being said, Viola Davis looked beautiful! I'm pretty sure natural hair in Hollywood is unusual to find regardless of race, so it is nice to see someone just rock it.

February 28, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Squirrelly

Exotic? Excuse me, racist much?

February 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. cashing

Stay true and love you. Everything about you illuminated beauty. You rock.

February 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Chan

Viola looked beautiful! Way to rock the all-naturale hair! Love it!

February 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. HOlly

Been wearing natural hair for 32 years...I'm 32. Used to get made fun of relentlessly in school....called medusa, whoopi, among other names. I hope more women follow suit because its about time!

February 27, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soon2BDiva

I agree Holly, I went natural three years ago and there is no way, I will ever perm my hair again. My father always hated when I permed my hair and now at the age of 50, he tells me......"I told you not to perm your hair"......all I can do is laugh and tell him that he was right all along.

February 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Bae Addams

@Dawn calm down,like it or not i'm right The Oscars don't care for blacks and you know,now getting back to Miss Davis's 'do' she could have rocked a fifties up do I think it would have been more appropriate.@Samii you are so right.

February 27, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soon2BDiva

@Bae Addams: WOW!!!....That's all I can say.

February 28, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • amber lane

i really need you to help me understand why a 50's up do would have been "more appropriate". Thats sounds like the dumbest crap I've ever heard.

February 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Ms. Laura

YOU ROCKED THE RUNWAY VIOLA!!! I HOPE MORE GO NATURAL YOU, INDIA ARIE, JILL SCOTT....SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!!

February 27, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Samii

I loved the movie, her acting, and her authenticity. Maybe a little too authentic for Hollywood...

February 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

I agree. I really hate the trend that media promotes for black women looking like they've stepped out of the bush. You can have effortlessly, natural looking hair that's combed and flat ironed. My goodness.

February 28, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Crys

@Tina So, you prefer black women to only appear at the Oscars if they style their hair like a white person. Why can't people simply be natural? It seems a little odd to me.

February 28, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Viola Davis = ugly women taking over Hollywood.

I watched her movie and found nothing special about her acting as a matter of fact by nominating this ugly woman Hollywood is doing a disservice to the talented ones who really can act.

February 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • mmK

@Tina: clearly you are not a black woman. If you were, you'd know there's nothing "effortless" about what you're describing. Flat irons, perms, weaves and extensions can be extremely damaging–is it "natural looking" to have broken edges, split ends and scalp damage? I don't think you realize this "trend", as you call it, is about more than just a hair style–it's about black women embracing and accepting all of themselves, having the courage to be themselves and demanding that honesty from others. It's about freedom. The next time you see a black woman "looking like something that came out of the bush", realize you're looking at a woman who understands what true beauty is. Go Viola! Go!

March 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Bae Addams

Her "do"was cool but not for The Oscars,there's a lot of racism in that organization.

February 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

What "do" should she have sported for the Oscars, if not her own hair on her own special night? A fake wig, as a tribute to the fake way that Hollywood tries to typecast and stereotype blacks and their natural beauty? I am proud of her. She looks horrendous in those wigs. She shined tonight in her natural hair with a beautiful dress. She is a wonderful actress that doesn't need to conform to the idea of European beauty. She is beautiful just because she is.

February 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soon2BDiva

I am so proud of her for not going fake hollywood, with a fake wig. I am so glad that she wore her natural hair, and she looked ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, STUNNING, BREATHTAKING, FABULOUS!!!!! Good for you Viola!!!!

February 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin christy

Stupid, it her natural HAIR!!!!!!

March 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Style

Viola looked absolutely wonderful! She was definitely one of the best dressed women of the evening. I look forward to the day when a black women wearing natural hair to an awards show is not seen as a major news story.

February 27, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

I agree with you, Style. Viola looked stunning!!! I also agree that the fact she wore her natural hair shouldn't be a major news story.

February 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flo

So true. There are many white actresses who wear "locks" and there's not one word as to whether they are wearing their natural hair.

February 27, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Ashley

She is so talented. Watching her gives me chills–I hope she doesn't change.

February 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  62. moon627

i loved Viola's hair and earrings :) didnt like the dress tho – cant believe its a Vera Wang – not her usual style :(

February 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Viola looks like a Lolita, ugly dress and boobs.

her ugly breats showing looking for attention. Only in America ugly people get nominated for something un talented .

February 28, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Viola looks like a Lolita, ugly dress and boobs.

her ugly boobs showing looking for attention. Only in America ugly people get nominated for something un talented .

February 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |