Peter learns the truth on 'Fringe'
February 25th, 2012

Peter learns the truth on 'Fringe'

The promos for Friday night's winter finale of "Fringe" made it clear that something big was coming, and they weren't kidding.

At the end of last week's episode, it looked like Nina Sharp had been kidnapped along with Olivia. Instead, the evil Nina who had been drugging Olivia all this time (drugging that seemed to make Olivia take on the personality of the Olivia Peter knew in the previous timeline – got that?) wanted to get information out of her.

As the team rushed to rescue Olivia, they didn't seem to get very far, until an Observer showed up at Walter's lab, dying. It was September, the one we've seen the most often on the show.

The only way to find out what exactly was going on here was for Peter to enter his subconscious. On a series filled with trippy imagery, this one ranked up there with one of the strangest sequences in its history.

September explained to Peter how he attempted to right the timeline, which Walter had damaged when he kidnapped Peter. Instead, things got worse and the war between the parallel worlds went on for decades.

We learned that Observers used to be humans from the distant future, and they discovered the ability to observe multiple time periods throughout history.

Peter also learned about the baby he and Fauxlivia had in the previous timeline, and that his son no longer existed once he went into the machine in last season's finale. September told Peter he must find a way to "go home," and warned, "They're coming." We still don't know who "they" are.

(By the way, Lincoln's line, "Does someone want to tell me what the hell just happened?" is pretty descriptive of this series.)

Peter wondered if "home" was not his timeline, but his actual home. Sure enough, he was captured at his house, and brought to Olivia – and when David almost killed Olivia, she used her power (the same one she used to travel between worlds) to save him.

Oh, and by the way, David's constant atomic experimentation seems to have made him impossible to kill. So, that might be a problem for the Fringe team.

The episode ended in a heartbreaking moment for all of those Peter-Olivia fans out there. This Olivia didn't really love Peter – that was the drugs – and he had to leave her and return home. One can only assume that he means his timeline, this time.

Phew. A lot of plot, a lot of revelations. Easily the best episode of this season. I can't say that the changed timeline has been my favorite season-long story arc, but I think I like where we're headed. You can't say that "Fringe" doesn't deliver on answers. Here's hoping the producers will have the time to tell the rest of the story they want to tell.

What did you think? Share your iReport video or comment below.

1. Matt

I think Olivia was meant to cross over and meet Peter on his original side. Remember, she can cross over without causing damage to the universes like Walter's (and others') machines do.

February 27, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Barb

I think Leo is onto something. I was thinking maybe there was a 3rd parallel universe, but what he is saying is that they just don't remember because the machine left them memory-less.
    I love the show. It makes me think.

February 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mimi

I agree! I was beginning to wonder how many parallel universes there could be, but this is a viable explanation. I love this show - it's mind-bending and inventive and the one show that I absolutely will not miss. The actors are excellent; each seems perfect for his/her part. It is disappointing that more people don't watch, and it would be a shame if it were cancelled due to low ratings. I always suggest to people that they should give it a try, but most seem only interested in drivel like The Bachelor.

February 27, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leo

Well, I should clarify: I don't think the machine wiped their memory as much as it changed time itself. If Peter never existed, they wouldn't have memories of him. This is kind of like "It's a Wonderful Life" Fringe-style.

February 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Leucadia Bob

Reggae sensation Alborosie announces upcoming single he collaborated on with Amy Winehouse
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEr6NO-aRQ&w=640&h=390]

February 27, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. meetcute

I don't think it was the drugs that made Olivia love Peter. It was obvious in earlier episodes that she began to soften towards him which I believe is more of a result that she is biologically and chemistry-wise attracted to Peter, no matter the timeline or universe; this is illustrated in season 3s AltLivia's affection for Peter.

Also, the cortexiphane simply heightens her sensativities - this is Peter's timeline, just a bit tweaked because he didn't exist in it as an adult. It was a heartbreaking scene . . . Olivia just can't catch a break. Good episode.

February 27, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. David in SLC

As much as I am enjoying the story, I think it was not a good premise for an entire season as we have spent an inordinate amount of time exploring interesting, but ultimately irrelevant, tangents in an alternate timeline that we all know is going to be erased soon. That makes it confusing to follow – I mean srsly, first we had TWO very similar universes and now we have a divergent timeline with two universes which gives us FOUR very similar universes we need to be familiar with to understand what is going on. It makes it difficult to invest in and It's part of the reason for the ratings slide (as is the move to Fridays). We're also still left in a quagmire of plot threads that are distracting us from the primary objective – namely getting Peter home.

February 27, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Leo

When are they FINALLY going to reveal that Peter –IS– "home" that –IS– "his" Olivia and he is not in an alternate timeline –BUT– our timeline with the memories of all the people there altered by the machine?!

February 27, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. Henry Hanks

Yes, Olivia saved Peter from David, good catch. Thanks @Irishgirl @GunnerGA and @Andrea especially for helping clear up this most complicated but intriguing story.

February 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TJ

This show is great. It really makes you think and truly get involved with all the characters. Every ten years or so there is a program on television that tries to defy reality and make people think beyond the here and now. It seems it allows the right side of your brain to imagine things that seem so logical in the concept of the story. The X-Files is another show that started off making you wonder and consider what if? Fringe is an amazing show. Nothing abut it is predictable. This show should be bigger than what X-Files was, unfortunately its not. I really hope that they dont take it off the air. Its a nice release from what is on tv these days.

February 26, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Liz Carter

WHERE ARE ALL THE WHITE FOLKS?! I HAVE TO PICK ME A FIGHT WITH SOME WHITE FOLKS!!! WHERE ARE THEY?! I'M A STRONG BLACK WOMAN!!! I'M GOING TO ROAR!!! WHERE THE HELL IS THAT BOTTLE OF JIM BEAN?! AHHHHHHH!!!!

February 26, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. MP4/3GP VIDEOS, FOR FREE, GET IT NOW! Note:18

well spoken

February 26, 2012 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  11. ray mathews

The show is intelligent, and refreshing. It the powers that 'be' pull this show from the air it will be a big mistake. If the network doesn't like the ratings numbers then simply change the time slot. The show is on the same level as "LOST". Come on guys... do the right thing and keep in on the air.

my $.02 cents

February 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HAK

only 6 comments on such an amazing show....sad ! This season started out a little slow and got rather boring...but the last episode really raised my enthusiasm. I think I watch the show because it hints the x-files for me. I also find that Walter is an amazing actor ! I know they want to cancel the show, I just want there to be enough episodes so that the story can be told completely !

February 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • @HAK

Everybody is afraid to post anymore, because the trolling has been so bad lately. I agree with your entire statement.

February 26, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sly Sadie

This is my favorite show. Great writing, great storyline, great acting. Every episode answers some questions, but leaves you asking more. I really hope they pick this show up for more seasons. @irishgirl- well said. There's nothing more that I could add to to what you wrote.

February 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Irishgirl

Couple of corrections.....Walter didn't damage the timeline. September explained to Peter how he attempted to right the timeline, which he (September) had damaged. September said "It was an attempt to rectify a mistake I made." He showed Peter that Walternate had discovered the cure, and would have given it to Peter. However Walternate was distracted by September, and thus missed the synthesis of the cure. That is why September allowed Walter to cross over and cure Peter.

Also, this statement is wrong...."Sure enough, he was captured at his house, and brought to Olivia – and when David almost killed Olivia, she used her power (the same one she used to travel between worlds) to save him." David Robert Jones threatened to harm Peter, which allowed Olivia to activate her power to save him.

I loved this episode, and while it answered many question, true to form it left additional questions for us to mull over. September said Peter is important. Why is he so important? What is David Robert Jones' end game? September said Peter was supposed to be cured in the alt-universe as a child, but his need to see the moment in time altered that. If that's the case, how is it then that Peter is/was meant to be with our universe's Olivia? The rip in the universes was caused by Walter crossing over to cure Peter. If Peter had been cured by Walternate, Walter wouldn't have crossed over and brought him here. So, how would Olivia and Peter have ever met to be together? Also, when will we find out what it was September wanted Peter to do for him? Will the markings on Peter's eyes lead us to that deathbed request? Sooo many things! It's why I love this show!

February 25, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • GunnerGA

Well. stated. It was September- NOT Walter – that was responsible for destroying the timeline and setting events into motion. BUT September suggested that it was OUR Olivia that he was destined to be with. That of course, defies the previous statement. For had he not interfered with Walternate, Walternate would have discovered the cure to save his Peter – OUR Peter. Thus, there would never be OUR Walter's rescue attempt and the breaks between the universes... and thus OUR Peter would never have met OUR Olivia as children and as adults. Whew. That clearly only will make sense to Fringe fans. ;)

February 25, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • GunnerGA

I will say that OUR Walter had invented the machine to crossover and probably would have used it regardless of the Peter situation or not. BTW... When did William Bell crossover? Before or after the attempted rescue of Peter from the alt-universe?

February 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

Yes, September was the cause for the Walternet/Peter cure distraction, thus changing the timeline. We do know that Olivia crossed over to Peter's world and was very frieghtened by it so if the timeline had NOT been altered then – perhaps our Olivia would have met Peter over there instead of here. Lots of things could have caused them to meet, who's to say SHE might have been stuck over there. Any way you look at it, THEY are meant to be together! I think the importance of Peter (just a guess) is to pro-create (such a word) with our Olivia is to unite the universes in the merging of the bloodlines. Perhaps it is the start of the evolution on the way to becoming more than human (an Observer) since September aluded to a child born to the wrong Olivia. That was an important statement

February 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Johnny Cage

This episode was great! The series has been a bit strange since the start of this season but its all starting to make sense now and its a very interesting idea for the show. It's definately heading in the right direction. PLEASE let there be a season 5 or even 6!!

February 25, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |