Leap Day comes to '30 Rock'
February 24th, 2012

Leap Day comes to '30 Rock'

On this week’s "30 Rock," the TGS staff celebrated everyone’s favorite magical extra day: Leap Day. As Criss told Liz, quoting the classic film “Leap Dave Williams," “Real life is for March…nothing on leap day counts.”

The writers embraced the holiday. “I listened to rap music for the first time. Not a fan,” said Toofer.

Jenna convinced skeptical Liz to attend a party thrown by college classmate and billionaire Thad (guest star Steve Little), who Liz did not nickname “Sad Thad the Skin Tag Lad” in college. Jenna was determined to land a billionaire, but Thad offered Liz $20 million to take his virginity. (“Oh my. It looks like we’ve got a slut-off on our hands!”)

Jenna warned Liz that news of the horny billionaire would spread. “Right now, there are models waking up from their coke binges. Multi-ethnic bartenders with daddy issues. Former ballerinas who had to quit because their boobs got too big.”

Sure enough, they came just as Liz and Thad were about to have intercourse by linking their braids like the Na’vi in "Avatar." Supermodel Karolina Kurkova ended up winning Thad over with her wit.

Meanwhile, Tracy and his imaginary friend Dot Com tried to spend a $50,000 gift certificate to Benihana that expired at midnight.

Even after Lutz’s button popped off and hit Cerie (which counts as touching!), they were short of their goal. So Tracy took his long, elegant face for a walk and (with an assist from recurring homeless man Hannibal Buress) realized he could feed the homeless! If only he could remember not to lean on the cooking surfaces.

Jack was on a mission too, determined to win his traditional Leap Day bet and make more money than his friends.

Kenneth took Jack on a Leap Day Carol journey, showing him Leap Day past, present and future, in which Liddy was working for (gasp!) Habitat for Humanity. Kenneth explained, “after you missed all her Leap Days, she started experimenting with liberalism.”

The episode was interlaced with clips of Jim Carrey’s "Leap Dave Williams." It was a highly effective guest spot because it seemed exactly like a movie Jim Carrey would star in. Andie MacDowell’s role as his wife was a brilliant nod to actual non-holiday classic “Groundhog Day.”

I certainly can’t wait to see "Leap Dave Williams 2: Leap Baby" tagline: "It’s not just any old day."

Did you think last night’s episode was as magical as Leap Day?

Post by:
Filed under: 30 Rock • television • TV recaps

1. car locksmith Miami

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you really know what you're speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally discuss with my website =). We could have a hyperlink exchange agreement between us

April 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Stella

That was a wonderful 30 Rock episode; it had every warm feeling that comes with a holiday special without actually being a holiday special.

February 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Watson

One of the greatest episodes on TV Ever.. Funny as hell man. that was awesome.

February 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Drew

As mentioned by other commenters...
    -That was not Nick Swarsdon.
    -He offered 20 million, not 20 thousand.
    -Dot Com is not Tracy's imaginary friend.

Taken together, it seems like this author based the article entirely off of snippets overheard at the water cooler. It's things like this that make me sad I bothered reading CNN's entertainment blog instead of other sites that care.

February 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watch Harder

As commented above, the other errors were made by the recapper but not about the imaginary friend. Tracy believes that DotCom is his imaginary friend.

February 25, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Shadi

Actually, the final adjustment to the Leap Year cnpceot by the Gregorians, was to address the 11 extra minutes per year that the one extra day every four years solution failed to account for. The Pope called for a solution, and the answer was if the last year in the century is divisble by 400, then it gets a Leap Day. None of this was explained to me in my childhood as I wailed against the inequities of not having a real day for 3 out of 4 of my birthday celebrations. Yes, I am one of the 4 million leapers

March 14, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. Leucadia Bob

Just released – Reggae sensation Alborosie a talks about a song that he collaborated with Amy Winehouse on – tobe release in the next few weeks
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPEr6NO-aRQ&w=640&h=390]

February 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Crys

I'm usually not one to bash the writing in a review, but this is horrendous. I knew more about last night's episode, and I only watched it until the first commercial! There was no mention of the KKK blunder, Kenneth throwing candy at everybodyi, etc. Sad, sad, sad... Do they actually pay you to write these things?

February 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elayjahlane

It may be my eyes or my browser, but I'm cfneusod. What does the second link have to do with this situation? It never goes into our on-hand cash spending, which is what the first link is discussing.And given that the feds spent WAAAAAY more than $158b in 2007 the military budget alone was $500b+ I pretty much have no idea what you're trying to say here.

March 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sean

Yeah. I don't think you ever watch the show. Dot Com is not an imaginary friend. He's part of Tracy's entourage along with Grizz. I will gladly take over your job. This is a shamefully poor review.

February 24, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watch harder

Actually, DotCom is an imaginary friend...according to Tracy. If you had watched the episode, there was a meeting Tracy had with his entourage he explains this.

February 25, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. DLS

It was $20 million dollars, not $20,000. Did you even watch the episode Mary Cella????

February 24, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

That was not Nick Swardson. That was Steve Little, of Eastbound & Down fame. Let me know if Marquee wants to hire writers that do their research...

February 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |