February 22nd, 2012

Star Jones returns to 'The View'

It's been nearly six years since Star Jones has been on "The View," but the lawyer and media personality made her return to the talk show Wednesday morning.

A lot has changed, but Barbara Walters, of course, wasted no time getting right to Jones' 2006 exit: "People keep saying to me, why did she leave, and why hasn't she been back in six years, and we have never discussed it," Walters said.

The veteran journalist started to recall "the truth" about Jones' leaving when Jones interrupted to ask, "Barbara, are we really going to go here? Do we care at this point, my sister? I honestly don't."

Well, as Walters points out, some people do.

Back in 2006, Jones' contract wasn't renewed "for various reasons," Walters went on. She recalls that Jones was told she could say whatever she wanted, and they had picked the date to reveal the news, "and instead, you surprised us on the air," Walters told Jones. "Why did you do that?" (In the summer of 2006, Jones made the announcement that she was leaving while on air without warning.)

"It was ugly. Everything around was ugly," Jones said. "It was a bad, emotional time. Nasty things were being said in the media. It was just not a good, emotional time. Barbara, I take real responsibility for my own behavior at all times, but I won't take responsibility if I have not made a decision I can live with. I made the decision, and wanted to go out on my own terms. I wanted to be able to control it, so I could walk back in here...and feel good about it."

Walters told her, "What we were trying to do then, was protect you," to which Joy Behar interjected, "we tried to protect you a lot, I think, when you were here." .

As they were clearing the air, Behar brought up Jones' 2003 gastric bypass surgery - and congratulating her, saying, "By the way, you're now a skinny b****."

Recalling Jones' significant weight loss, Behar says, "We were told, don't say it's a gastric bypass. Say it's Pilates and dieting, or whatever, portion control."

Jones denied that saying, "No, I said, don't talk about my private way I decided to lose weight. Because, when you all had private things, I did not discuss them."

Walters interjected, "But you did say that it was diet and Pilates. And really, because we loved you, we did lie."

But to Jones, the question was, "Why do you care? I look good."

It may sound as though things got a little testy on "The View" set, but Jones has tweeted that it was all in good fun.

"Fun @theviewtv," she wrote Wednesday. "It is easy to walk through the PAST when your PRESENT is so good & your FUTURE is so promising. See you @todayshow tomorrow."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. lafille55

Star is still a fat person in another body. She has these lawyer like chips on her shoulder that she feels allow her to talk dirt about other people. Stop talking sh– about other people and look at yourself!!!

October 4, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bethany

Star Jones deserves EVERY SINGLE BIT of criticism she has gotten. I WORKED ON THE VIEW BACK WHEN STAR JONES WAS ON. She was a megalomaniac. Much worse than the rest of the on air talent. Except for Barbara- but Barbara was more like a society doyenne. Star was over the top. She lied to the american public OVER AND OVER AND OVER about how she lost the weight when EVERYONE knew she had surgery. She said a really judgemental- "I lost it through portion control and exercise". And no one believed her and eventually the surgeon told the truth to the press. It's all public. And today I watched this ridiculous segment on the Today show where Star is on it, and she's totally lying AGAIN. This time saying that THE ONLY REASON she went back on the View was to tell people about the danger of heart disease. Sister- really? And she was shocked at the "emperor has no clothes" backlash she received- mostly because she loves the smell of her own sh-t. Apparently nobody else does.

February 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. daili maxam

Barba Walwal is bossy and nasty at times. How many plastic surgery did she have? If she did not reveal the truth, did she lie too?

February 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. M1

This group is full of themselves. I quit watchig this show for that very reason. They talk over eachother! There is no substance to the show. And yes...they are rude! Invited Star to ambush her!! I find the group discusting. Amazing what is on TV!

February 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

if you swim with sharks and expect not to get bitten then you are only fooling yourself!

February 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

I think most of you people have lost the point... #1 Star was a guest and I do not know how you treat a yours but I am not rude to mine... They were rude. See the View Facebook page for some comments about yesterday's show! Bottom line is how she was treated regardless if you like her or not they invited her there and treated her with very rude behavior... There has to come a point where you have to grow up and forget the high school behavior!!!! Barbara attacked her! That was wrong and very tacky! Star was a champ and rolled with the punches and her book may have been tasteless at the time but now I see what she said was sooooo right on!

February 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. anna

She really is hard on the eyes, she has nostrils wide as a horse.

February 23, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. jlf

Barbara Walters constantly interrupts the other hosts trying to inject her opinion over and over again. she always has to have the last word and wants it her way or no way. i know that she made it possiible for women to break into the news industry but she has let it go to her head and ego. i felt sorry for Star,she no more than sat down and Barbara and Joy was all over her, making themselves out to be the victims of Star's unscheduled announcement of her leaving leaving and her bypass surgery cover-up... i am VERY disappointed in Barbara and Joy....it was OLD news,let it go,it's not about you.

February 23, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Timme62

I don't understand why anyone watches that show. It reminds me of real life when you have more than two women together it always turns into a nasty bi*chfest. The majority get together and gang up on one.

February 23, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • i like em

I agree, I don't like it when they start talking all at once but I do appreciate the hot topics segment. For me, it's like water cooler talk. I don't support their point of views but they raise interesting issues, from light to serious topics. It's not always a b-fest and sometimes it's quite funny.

February 23, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  10. nbafan

Star is a fat face in disguise.

She's fat like Adele.

February 23, 2012 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. ~A~

Lol

February 23, 2012 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. Coolbreeze

@tawny. we don't need you here! and we don't need star jones at all. they were right to fire her. just shoulda fired joy behar and whoppi too. one of the most useless shows on tv. it should be renamed "Cackling B!tches"

February 23, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Violet

Those evil TROLLS at THE VIEW were so rude to Starr Jones on yesterday's show!!!

This is why I do NOT like to watch THE VIEW........they are always fighting or arguing!
    Who wants to spend thier time watching all this NEGATIVITY??????????????
    (there is always so much negative vibe on the set of this show)

I only caught the end of the show with Starr Jones, while I was waiting for my local news to start.
    Otherwise I NEVER WATCH

February 23, 2012 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. oldiva

When will y'all stop hatin on Star Jones??? It's pitiful reading some of these comments. Don't be jealous because she has her s**t together. She is intelligent, beautiful, wealthy, and witty. What else do you want her to be?

February 23, 2012 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  15. @tawny

Good that u don't like us ho

February 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Star Jones

I love eating fried chicken and getting fat. I plan on becoming a crack H0 just like my idol Whitney.

February 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Star Jones

It is true.
    I love fried chicken...and twinkies and double decker sandwiches.....and doughnuts slathered in butter and crisco. I love being fat and disgusting.

February 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Violet

DUH..........Starr does NOT eat that stuff anymore ~~~ Maybe you do???

February 23, 2012 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. d sharp

ok aj now you hav a good story to salivate over instead of spewing hate over the crhis brown rihanna issue. I dont know why u r so hateful and like when woment beat up on men and men sit back and suck it up. tell me aj do u want chris brown to go dumb do u want him togo on drugs and go to jail and all that. it sems u r not gonna be satisfied something bad happens to him as you seem to hoping for. ii see u glorifying the singer who spews gun lyrics on sta
    ge at brown as if he should be hurt or something. i dont like your tone. u r wrong the bible speaks forgiveness and love

February 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Nicki Davis

I knew the real CNN 'liberals'would come swinging in all different directions,you just make yourselves look like the ignorant,uneducated,animals you say we (blacks)are.Maybe you should get off the couch and the lap top and get some fresh air and sunshine,'my bad'the sun hates your skin color as much as you do.See how stupid that sounded?People grow up.

February 22, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Cashun Please

I bet when Star an Jennifer Hudson take off they're clothes it looks like a chocolate mudslide........thats nasty!!!! I had a girl onetime I was seein' that got that surgery done. Lets just say that you can only fold, and roll, and squeeze, and push all that skin so much. I could'nt hit that no mo'......!!!! When will women understand that you can't cheat mother nature and time. Eat right and exercise ladies and you will be alright........

February 22, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. HRself

Star Jones had the right not to reveal how she lost the weight so rapidly: actually she said that she had a “medical intervention” – which I interpreted to mean gastric bypass. She later talked about exercise, and I believe The View followed her on one of her Pilates excursions. The View's producers did not have to comply with the "lie." They had a choice. Let’s not forget, Star is a lawyer and knows what language to chose. So, let’s not think that she just threw out words; she knows how to phrase what she wants to communicate.

To have tried to get Star to say that she was leaving The View for another opportunity: now that would have been a lie. Star left The View because in essence she was fired: that is what not renewing a contract means.

Now, for Ms Walters to bring this up so many years later – when both Barbara and Star have been asked about this is ludicrous. But, that is what ratings are all about right? Or is she still trying to do damage control?

I watch The View very often only because Whoopi Goldberg is on the show: she is the voice of reason and is intelligent. She keeps the topics on track and makes sure not to make things personal. She makes the Hot Topics section quite bearable while the others talk over each other and get emotional, personal, and just unreasonable. Oh…. And let’s not forget the constant adverts of one or two of the comediennes on the show – their “funny” quips are like slush!

February 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Violet

The VIEW sucks!
      I have tried to watch, but all they do is argue and bring NEGATIVE vibes ~ NOT how I want to start my day!!!
      (I just saw the end of the show with Starr Jones on because I was waiting for my local news to start)
      My husband jokes when we are out and see a bunch of women sitting at a table in a restraurant looking intense...He says "What is this, The View???" LOL

February 23, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  22. dixiegirl

@Windy, your first comment was so right on then you lost it! I was so in agreement with you till you dropped that f bomb at the end and then went on that rant! Get it together!

February 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. WindyCity

She is hooked on fried chicken like a Whitney...er, a junkie.

February 22, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. WindyCity

She is a fat toad and drags her knuckles when she walks.

February 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sokman

Tomorrow on The View: Cluck Cluck Bu-Kaw!

February 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. WindyCity

Star Jones is a lawyer who started out on TV as a legal correspondent. Just because a celebrity or a person in the media doesn't disclose personal information about their lives doesn't make them liars. They way she lost weight is of her own choice but she saw the need to lose weight and she did. I don't tell everyone I know my business either...the celebrities on TV have a right to privacy too, period. Lastly, MOI (the person who is leaving bigotted post about Star Jones): Regardless of how she's lost weight, she did and is probably ten times more healthier than you. She is wealthy and living a far better life than you are for sure. You are so full of 'hate' and 'bigotry' Moi, no wonder you sit in your mommie's house on a lil laptop leaving stupid assinine post on people's blog sites. Get a life...better yet, get therapy, get friends, get Jesus, you are pathetic. Seethe in rage knowing that Star Jones is a lawyer, tv personality, and lives in the most beautiful places that money you got cannot afford. I may not be a fan of hers but I will give a clap to her for returning to the lion's den, The View. To the other Star Jones haters, she had a RIGHT to tell everyone that she was leaving back in 2006. She was right for wanting to do it on HER terms. Fuk Barbara Walters.

February 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Natalie

1st time big mouth Sherry Shepard didn't have anything to say.Like Star Jones is a big mouth don't like neither one of them.

February 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Compassionate1

You people are rude for no reason at all! Why would you say such rude things about Starr? It makes no sense to say such hurtful things about people. Allow her to live her life as she pleases and accept that she doesn't have to tell you everything about her life – she doesn't belong to you! I wish I could peek into the lives of those making such rude comments – you must be some very unhappy people. Those mean things you say will come back to haunt you . . . you'll reap exactly what you sow. Words can hurt others – don't contribute to belittling or degrading folks. What goes around, comes around – I've seen it happen! LEAVE STARR ALONE!

February 22, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. pam

i saw the show todaywith star jones. i thought it was good. regardless if they have worked out things with each other. star jones had done a big no no when she made her announcement without barbara knowing what she was doing. se showed no respect for the show or the cohosts. it seemed that she was upset that her contract was not renewed and was getting back. just happ that they are not letting her return to the show for good.

February 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Moi

Star J!ggaboo is a fat mambo lipped knuckle dragging moon cricket with a severe addiction to fried chicken and pork rinds.

February 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • ER

Dear Moi
      U are a racist pig.

February 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*sara

Hey moi....you are poor white trash...that being said...i rather be a jiggaboo or a nig#er or anything else you want to call me.....see you on election night when we celebrate the re election of a jiggaboo.....LAMO

February 23, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • sylvia

What an awful thing to say about another human being. Did something terrible happen to you that you need to say such a thing? Are you in pain and does it feel good to try to hurt others with your words? Have you tried therapy? Therapy will help you get rid of some of your anger and pain. I'm sorry you are in such pain and I wish you well, please know that you can be loved and without pain. There is help for you.

February 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. dlred

I'd rather watch when Barbara is not on the show. She is very rude to her own hosts. She just bullies them because she controls the purse. She wants her opinion to be theirs also. I enjoyed the show when she was off for a few months. Didn't miss her at all.

February 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sly Sadie

Fat b!tch star jones

February 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • tawny

Your a bad troll. I see what they were talking about now. Out of curious I had to see marquee blog, I understand now. Group of *_-:/ here.

February 22, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joanna

First of all, Star Jones is a BEEAAATCH !! The VIEW is better off with out her !!!! She was a COW and basically LIED about her "weight loss" . It is too bad the TODAY show has her as a "legal" consultant.

February 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moi

I don't understand the vitriol. No matter how she did it, Star Jones did, indeed, lose weight. So, for you to put weight loss in quotations is off. Further, I don't understand why people are always accusing celebrities of lying. Not sharing all details of your life is not lying; it's choosing to keep your private life to yourself. Finally, if you knew anything about Star Jones, you'd know that she is, in fact, a lawyer, and that her television career started as a legal news correspondent. If you don't like her, just go on ahead and say that, next time.

February 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geeg

Are you in junior high? You certainly sound like one of those mean girl bullies who think that they're impressing people when they are actually just demonstrating that they lack maturity - both intellectual and spiritual.

February 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  34. thanks for nothing

This article doesn't do justice to the actual interview. Check it out on Youtube. There was no catfighting here. They changed the subject very quickly after that due to time. Everyone was on good terms. And most importantly, Star and Barbara reminded America about the #1 killer of women- heart disease. That was actually the main focus for the second half of the interview. It's too bad that message was lost on this journalist.

February 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Eliteone

Barbara Walters is a bitter old B! Shut up already! I just don't like her. She is often rude to guests and the co-host. Go away and let the other ladies do the show. We won't miss you !

February 22, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Rude? You mean like you're being rude to her now?

February 23, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • cara21

I agree I cant barbara walters as well I think she is rude and nasty and needs to take her old ass on vacation are something smh!!!!!

February 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lucy

I like her, but I don't care for that show. When you have four big egos talking at the same time, the subject matter gets lost and then all you have is noise. I don't like that.

February 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • moon627

I agree with you Lucy. Ive tried watching THE VIEW many times because of the guest or the subject matter but it always ends up with them all chattering on top of one another so you cant decipher what any one of them is saying until finally Whoopee speaks and her tone is always the one that stands above the rest and makes some sense of things but she cannot carry the show on her own – too bad...

February 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |