Fighting their way out on 'The Walking Dead'
February 20th, 2012

Fighting their way out on 'The Walking Dead'

Now this is the episode they should have returned with.

Sure, the revelation of Sophia's fate was a nice cliffhanger for the fall finale, but "The Walking Dead" should have come back guns-a-blazing, which is what we got on Sunday night's episode, instead.

First, we revisited Lori, several hours after her car flipped over and crashed, with two walkers attempting to get to her through the car windows.

One of them starts peeling his own skin off to get to her, so it's just jaws coming at her, reminiscent of "Alien." Somehow Lori was able to get away, even when another walker came up right behind her (I have a feeling she took some martial arts at some point).

In case that wasn't enough gore for you, we had Rick, Glenn and Hershel trapped inside the bar where Rick had just killed two mysterious strangers, who were causing trouble. It seemed that some of their friends were outside, with one of them getting eaten alive after being shot by Hershel.

A second man, whom we later found out to be named Randall, had his leg stuck on the spire of a gate. Before Hershel could saw off his leg, or put him out of his misery, so the walkers don't get him, Glenn and Rick were quickly overwhelmed by the approaching swarm, so Rick yanked his leg off the gate.

After the first third of the episode was basically wall-to-wall squick moments, everyone returned to the barn, and Shane wasn't exactly happy that he no longer has the run of the place.

When Lori returned, Shane let slip to one and all that she's expecting, including Carl.

Carl took it well (though it's revealed that he never had "the talk" so has no reason to suspect Shane is the father), but Shane is still under the assumption that he might still have a hand in raising the child.

Lori revealed to Shane that Rick knows the truth about them, and also grilled him about that night with Otis, so that doesn't exactly calm him down. (Neither does Hershel laying down the law when Shane objected to the idea that the group would nurse Randall back to health.)

Andrea, however, is still team Shane, as he told her that they were the only two who fully understood that no one is to be trusted in this situation.

Dale, of course, continued to sound the warning bells about Shane, and Lori finally told Rick that he's dangerous. With a look of realization and determination on Rick's face, it seemed that a showdown between the two is imminent, and I have to wonder if Shane will last the season.

Do you agree? Did you like this week's zombie-filled scenes? Do you want more great scenes between Daryl and Carol like the ones we've seen in the last two weeks? Share your thoughts on iReport or comment below.

Filed under: television • The Walking Dead • TV recaps

1. Jay Lo

Great episode and it gave me a dose of zombie action. I thought the episode was good and I think the group should have left Randall there instead of taking him to the farm. I like how the season is heating up and what will be in store for the season finale. I never miss any of the action using the DISH online feature with my iPad. DISH online lets you watch DVR events live TV and movies on your laptop. Being able to use this with my DISH employee service gives me a way to enhance TV enjoyment. This has made staying up with TV shows easy. I don’t have to worry now if I miss an episode. Now my kids can watch any one of their favorite show any time.

March 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ethan

I don't want Shane to die!!!!!! He seems to be the only one who understands the full situation, with no qualms about what he has to do to survive. Although the human elements of him have pretty much disappeared, they have to for him to be able to adjust and tolerate a new, deadlier world.

March 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CHITOWN

I think Carl will eventually learn how to use a gun. And in heated moment between Shane and Rick. It will be Carl who kills Shane, in order to save his father. The would make for a good season finale.

February 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary

That's exactly what happened in the graphic novel. Shane never made it out of the Atlanta camp. But, then, Otis lasted a hell of a lot longer and Sophia is still alive.

February 22, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mark

Daryl is one of the best on the show Lori has got to go! Andrea is cool! Rick and Shane is gonna be good. Best show on TV. Did I mention that Lori has got to go!!!

February 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • LeeAnne

I totally agree, Lori really annoys me to no end...I really wanted to like her but am having a hard time doing so! TEAM DARYL!

February 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sandi

Okay....Shane sux! And Lori is a bore. But I think things will get very nasty between Shane, Lori and Andrea....second love triangle? Andrea will flip a lid when she finds out everything about how Shane feels about Lori, and about their affair, since she is totally in love with him......and I can't wait~

February 21, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Walking Dead from Canada!

HELLO FROM CANADA! WU HOO!. Enjoy the Shane/Rick power struggle there...should be awesome to see unfold. Lori annoys me too. Love Daryl. I'm so glad they kept his character going, other than squirrel disembowelments... lol. He kicks ass.

February 21, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Walkers_Everywhere

Shane is going down...it's just a matter now of who is gonna take him out. Will they follow the comic? Will someone else have the bad luck to kill him? I can't WAIT to find out!

February 21, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sokman

I've really gotta stop reading these blogs before I watch the show...

February 20, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. .•|•.

Does Carl wear that hat backwards? It doesn't look right to me.

February 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Maria

I think that Lori is an idiot. She isn't stopping to realize that everything Shane did was for her. I didn't see anyone else run off to get Lori when she went missing. (Which I still don't know why she went after Rick in the first place.. it isn't like it was a boys night out or anything.) Daryl went off on Carol because he feels he did something wrong and Carol understands that. Can't wait to see how that plays out... (who will get off'ed first Daryl or Carol?!!?) Carl 'mans up' when he puts his dad's hat on!! hmmmm. Andrea has totally turned a new leaf and is kicking butt and taking names. She understands Shane–she understands how he feels about Lori.

February 20, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pebbles Flintstone

I don't like the character Lori very much but she is easier to take this season than last. As for Shane doing things for her, she has told him in no uncertain terms that it is over. She has been telling him that since the first few episodes. The issue and problem is him. He can't take no for an answer. Zombies are everywhere and he can't stop "mooning" over Lori. That story line has gotten tedious. The Character of Shane is physically strong but mentally weak. He's a ticking time bomb. I hope they kill him off this season, he's a bore.

February 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Glenn

I think the Rick and Shane conflict is getting old..let Shane get eaten up by WALKERS when he gets out smarted by Daryl in the forest!!! I think the show has a great opportunity with Glenn and Maggie as a couple with all the danger all around them there is still time for closeness. Because Glenn was so strong in the first season now he is a wimp.I think that Maggie's character is so much stronger than Andrea's characters

February 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Leeanne

BEST SHOW on TV right now, if you aren't watching it, you should be!! Team Daryl!!

February 20, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leeanne

totally agree!!! Darryl has a lot of issues, but he will do what has to be done for the good of the group.

February 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Christina

Love it all!!!! I like to see Rick take charge.....

February 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Adara

It was a great episode. Finally, some action. Shane is a walking time bomb for sure. Next week's episode looks good also.

February 20, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bigbulldaddy

*FIRST* – Shane and Carol?? I think you either mean Shane and Lori or Darryl and Carol......Either way, can't wait for Shane to meet his fate! Overall, pretty solid episode. keep 'em coming!

February 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • BBB

To the last poster: The article SAYS Daryl and Carol. If you're going to point out inaccuracies, you should probably make sure they actually exist first.

February 20, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bigbulldaddy

@BBB – At 6:01 when I posted that......it said SHANE AND CAROL....( so two hours late ) lol

February 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pokey

Yes, it originally said "Shane and Carol". Posters love to point out errors, have no idea why.

February 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bigbulldaddy

@Pokey.... Thanks for backing my 'inaccuracy' lol......I really wasn't trying to point out the error, but rather thought I might have missed something!

February 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Ive only read the comic,but Shanes a fukkin d1kk

February 21, 2012 at 4:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Henry Hanks

Yes thanks for catching that.

February 21, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |