Stevie Wonder on Houston: This is not the time to be cynical
February 17th, 2012

Stevie Wonder on Houston: This is not the time to be cynical

Stevie Wonder will have honored two fallen legends in entertainment with performances by week's end, as he moves from a Thursday memorial service for Don Cornelius to Saturday's funeral for Whitney Houston.

At Cornelius' memorial service yesterday in Los Angeles (Cornelius died February 1 at the age of 75 due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound),Wonder performed a rendition of "Love's In Need of Love Today."

But before he launched into song, he took a moment to address the media's treatment of Cornelius, as well as Houston, who died at 48 in the Beverly Hilton on February 11.

“Those of you who are the media and press," Wonder began, "this is not [the] time to be cynical, and not [the] time to talk about what one did and the tragedy that happened. They were American treasures.”

Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, while promoting his Oscar-nominated documentary "Undefeated," shared a similar reaction, nearly declining to speak at all on the topic of the heralded singer.

“I'm not really answering any questions on Whitney," Combs began. "I just don't like the way she's being portrayed in the media. I don't like the way the media is handling it, so I don't want to say something and be intercut - which you all are probably going to do with this anyway - but I don't want to be intercut in the way it's being portrayed, because it's just not right.

At the end of the day, Combs continued, "these are people. They are people and there has to be some level of respect. It can't just be like, 'There's no respect in the game anymore,' so I don't want to be a part of it. I'll keep my thoughts to myself and share my thoughts with her family, and that's it."

1. Andrea

Dirk Digler how do you know that they are in hell. You need to be concerned about where you are going to spent eternity.

February 22, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Liz Carter

@Motoman; that cutting a deal with the devil aka selling of souls to the devil not only could be associated with the business of entertainment. The same notion could be applied to most of Wallstreet, the Trumps, Kochs, and the rest of the 1 percents! Right?

February 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mansoor

No point in going every weekend. That's what rnciag is all about the fun of winning a championship. It's a sorry state of times to see it go away.

March 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Opalescence

People should think before they comment. No matter how I feel about someone and how they lived their life, I would never say anything about a person that I would not want said about someone I love. People can have a low opinion about Whitney and think she was the worst role model there was for young women because of her poor choices, but that's just an opinion. Yes, she was on drugs, but she was also a mother, daughter, wife, friend, and a child of God most importantly. She was also kind, loving and generous. No one can take those things, or her incredible gifts and the contributions she made away from her. She, her family and loved ones will always have that. Always. So let the crass and meanness continue. They make no difference.

February 20, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Donald

Im rich idiots I do as I want with my combover and fine @ss wife.

February 20, 2012 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sheli

OH, such blatant hypocrisy!!! Elvis did drugs. So did the Beatles. However, does that mean they didn't have talent?

Let one of YOUR favorite celebs die (and we all have our faves), you'll be crying, blogging, and searching for all the news coverage you can find then!

February 19, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Donald

Trolls are a joke too

February 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Donald

Coolbreeze is a joke!

February 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tony t tyler

I like to troll the gay bars for big black j!ggaboo wieners. I often use watermelon or fried chicken to lure them to my motel where my mother turns tricks for meth.

February 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coolbreeze

This is either Richard Fore or Sly Sadie posting like Richard Fore to incite a public thrashing of Fore. I say we all have at BOTH of them. Losers!

February 20, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • @coolbreeze troll

well, that wasn't very believable, either. everyone knows that coolbreeze & sly are buddies. now dickyforeskin, he's no friend to anyone. nice try dickyforeskin. nobody is buying that one.

February 20, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Gerard

I love when people assume everyone knows someone. Little ego-centric kids here are beyond belief. No one knows who Sly Sadie or Coolbreeze are, and, frankly, the world doesn't care.

February 20, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • You Know

You know Coolbreeze and/or @coolbreeze troll, you spend an AWFUL lot of time on these blogs. See the sun much? Or, is your sun and stars, Sadie, enough for your sad, sad existence?

February 20, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • @@coolbreeze troll

Wrong on both counts, loser. It takes no effort to make you look like the pansie you are!

February 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tony t tyler

@dirk digler somebody will put you out of your misery very soon and you can join them and Ronald Reagan too.

February 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. cynthia

Sooooooo ignorant.

February 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Motoman

When you cut the deal with the devil to make your living and perhaps a lot of money basking in the public spotlight then the spotlight will be on you until the day you die and beyond. In the best of worlds the spotlight finds the truth. Good, bad or indifferent.

February 19, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. .•|•.

Lol, cuz peeps always feed 'em ff's!

February 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dirk digler

Whitney was a crack head j!ggaboo just like the rest of them moon cr!ckets. She is rotting in hell right now with Michael Jackson and Hitler.
    Ooga booga

February 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. David Byrnes

Stevie Wonder. Anyhow, God bless.

February 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. David Byrnes

Stevie Woder is a poet and knows how to use language. His comments quoted here are studied and sophisticated. The editor who inserted "the"s inappropriately is no poet.

February 19, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MP4/3GP VIDEOS, FOR FREE, GET IT NOW!

R.I.P whitney houston, we luv. U , but god love u most.

February 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. @coolbreeze troll

man, you are not even good at trolling. that was pretty lame, & not believable. you trolls fail. sad, sad, sad.

February 19, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  18. Queen A

Wow......This is why the world is so jacked up...There needs to be heart transplants....Whitney thanks for sharing yourself with us..You have touched a whole world and not by internet like some of us...Sleep on..and Rest

February 19, 2012 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. Name*boombam@2

OK leave my girl alone!She doesn't owe you a damn Thanh!!R.I.P.MY BEAUTIFUL ANGEL.

February 19, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sokman

Puffy sure made it a point to comment to the media that he didn't want to comment to the media about it

February 19, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  21. Jesus C.

Whitney had some class. At least she did not go under the knife to change the shape of her nose, like some "Jacksons" did because they were ashamed of the shape of their noses.

February 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. tracie

I really wanted to smell her butt h@le when she was alive. I bet her silky pantries stank of fool foo and olive oil.

February 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LAB

To whomever gives a sh!t I haven't posted anything since before Mrs.Brown's sudden death.@Dicky4'having a good time trolling people today?Whitney's funeral was amazing RIP beautiful.

February 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dirk digler

Richard you are a bitter, sad loser who trolls around on the internet for attention. I bet you don't have a friend in the world. You sure don't have any self respect, that's for damn sure!

February 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mrdeshon

Thank you Stevie & P.Diddy! Our society always wants to destroy people. Whitney Houston was the same as many Americans whose mothers,daughters,sisters wrestle with the vice grip of addiction. I cry for the wounds inside her that she tried to numb with drugs. The media is cruel because our society is. She died fighting a war that continues to take lives. No one is extempt from its hold.

February 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Sunshine

@coolbreeze... you seem to be a very unhappy God-less individual. Maybe instead of sitting in judgement of others and making ignorant statements about an entire race of people you could find ways to be a better human being. Just a thought.

February 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • @sunshine

it's not him. he's being trolled. I'd aim that jesus talk to dickyforeskin. he's the one that is need of a little church going. can i hear an amen!

February 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. stargaze

~I loved Whitney.~ I wonder if NJ., fly's the American flag for our American hero's as they did for this funeral~just curious because I honor & respect what they have done for me & other Americans.~

February 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shavon

I think it had more to do with what she did for her community, which people know little about bc of our great media focusing on only a horrible portion of her life. We show respect to our heros we cannot help what the media portrays. She would not want this her family did not want the circus. The media sucks, but the more we read the gossip the more the invade peoples lives and force feed it to us. We have to stop reading it stop supporting it and maybe they will focus more on issued that effect us everyday people.

February 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. fernace

I truly don't get the negativity from every1, not just the media! Just reading these blogs makes you realize there are alot of negative, hateful people in the world! My advice is to use all that negative energy in a positive form & focus on yourselves! Maybe you'll figure out why you're so angry & negative! Let those of us who saw this woman as a complete person, good & bad, mourn her loss in peace! We will always love & miss you Whitney!!

February 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Coolbreeze

Black people get so stupid with this stuff

February 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  30. David

look whos talking Bonehead!!!! youre a dirtbag the way i see it

February 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sly Sadie

Hey! My mother is a crack wh0re and I came out fine! I'm beautiful, short (which men love) and I'm beautiful -oh i said that already- It's all about me, me, me, me, me, me. Did you see Julia Roberts? That girl is ugly. weird big mouth, ears and teeth! I bet she wishes she looks like ME!

February 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • @sly & coolbreeze troll

for somebody who seems to have a bug up his azz for these 2, u just try to draw them out constantly. seems they don't give a cr ap about what u say. i'd say that is a failed troll. time to go back to troll school. u obviously failed the course. keep trying dickyforeskin. you don't seem to be very good at your craft. back to your basement, little buddy.

February 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  32. @miss manners

I plan on taking you with me when i go.

February 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Liz Carter

Thanks Stevie Wonder and Sean Combs for turning the 'garbage colleecting propagandists' around on their creepy crawler butts!! Their whole mission is set to hone in on the negatives that may have occurred in her life rather than to MAGNIFY the positive and good things about her life; the great contributions she made to our society and the world. Words can hurt or heal...the power of life and death is in the tongue...!! We know what goal they have in mind. Talk about kicking a 'dead horse'; we are born to die! We only die once; They are out scavenging around digging up everything they can to tarnish her Great Legacy at 'This Moment In Time'! They are trying to kill her again...!! IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN...IT'S NOT WORKING!! They really need to read the Book of James!!!

February 18, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  34. SAE

Drug addicts are human too. Often times good people who made bad choices. Unfortunately Whitney Houston lived out her addiction under the microscope and scutiny of the media and judgemental public eye. Having witnessed a family member journey through addiction and now living clean and sober, I can see it is not easy. With that being said her talents are undeniable and I would personally like to remember her beautiful voice and smile as that is what she shared with us....she never shared the journey with her addiction, the media forced her to. So when I listen to Whitney Houston I will remember her music as a soundtrack to my high school years. I think everyone should do that because regardless of what anyone says that is all that truly remains of her and it is the best part of her.

February 18, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  35. DEBBY

THIS IS WHAT WHITNEY WAS ABOUT! My son was born on May 13, 1988, Stevie Wonder's birthday, he is autisic. The only word words we ever heard him say were WHO and CIRCUIT CITY. Yet on Xmas day 1991, his sister bought him downstairs with a karaoke machine and said "Ma I want you to hear something." Hands shaking,she handed him the mic and turned the machine on. She asked him if he was ready. This is what I heard; IF I SHOULD STAY, I WOULD ONLY BE IN YOUR WAY.... he sang the whole song! By the end of the SONG we were all in tears. Many times I thought about writing to tell Whitney this but I figured she probably wouldn't read the letter. So very sorry I didn't. SHE HAD THE POWER TO MOVE YOU WITH THAT BEAUTIFUL VOICE. THANK YOU WHITNEY. JESUS WEPT. THIS IS WHITNEY HOUSTON.

February 18, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  36. Rosemary Brown

I so much agree with what Stevie Wonder and Sean Combs have said about how the Media has consecutively continued to discuss what the "Incomparable Phenomenal ICON Ms. Whitney Houston did. This ICON by far is a Human Being, they are people, and people have feelings. The Houston Family does not need to hear all this "cynical talk" about their Loved One at a time as such. The Media, Tabloids, Magazines, Popuruzzi and etc need to "STEP BACK" and allow the HOUSTON Family, Friends and FANS mourn in peace. Especially her family. Stop talking so much about what Whitne did and how she did it and how it was done. That does not matter now. She's gone. And regardless to what ever happened, its not important, and it surely is not making the "Ease Of Pain" more easier for her Family. Let Well-Enough Alone. If you're not wishing the Family well, offering your condolence and prayers. Then you should not have anything to say, Specifically the Media. Let It Go, ! Please!!!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2012 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  37. «\{§}/»

Enough already. A good singer who made bad choices and paid the price. Then the media swoops in to milk the story for all its worth, until the next celebrity kicks the bucket. We are already on "Whitney Overload"l. Stop it, please, you media vultures!

February 18, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Shy

Lol "enough already"? Yet here you are taking time out of what I'm sure is a busy schedule to not only read the article but also comment..???????

February 19, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  38. Denise

You were more than an entertainer to us. Whitney we love you.

February 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  39. John Paik

CNN, ANDERSON COOPER.......
    ENOUGH OF THE "DEATH OF WHITNEY HOUSTON" .

February 17, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Coolbreeze

@miss manners: bite me! whitney was wack, she was on crack, she lost hope, cuz she was on dope! Bobby Brown brought her down, now she ain't around!

February 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

Good news to hear from a familiar voice. My new year is starting out right. You said in short what the media has been making lots of stories on for the past five years or more. I hope that Whitney is at peace. Life is such a struggle for us all. Coolbreeze are you from Barjud,.

February 17, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

Stupid is as stupid write.

February 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • jazzy1

grow up!

February 20, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  41. maria

I don't know what is the big deal she was a drug addict ,she was selfish enough to do drugs not thinking about her daughter,she said she want to see her daughter grow up....and still using drugs.People wants to portray her is a great dame ,a loving mother,a great person,not! she had a beautiful voice,, is all! she spend millions on drugs ...do we hear about Whitney Houston give millions for charities? she is gone and R.I.P gilr! I am tired of all the coverage enough is enough!

February 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • TeeterTotter

Hip hip hooray my sentiments exactly.

February 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

GROW -UP STUPID ASS!!!!!! How do you know how much she spent on drugs unless you were sharing them with her. If you seen her lately you would have seen how pretty and good she looked. I just hope you are nobody's mother with your silly comments. Think b 4 you write.

February 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. miss manners

i agree with Stevie. There is too much media coverage on celebrities – they are people too and nobody should be subjected to such intense scrutiny unless they are running for public office. it made me sick when Heather Locklear and Demi Moore were dragged thru the mud and now all this negative press on Whitney is just disgusting. And Celine Dion should be ashamed for her public comments when Whitney was barely cold. Show some compassion people ! :(
    Richard Fore and all you other trolls should burn in hell

February 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  43. AZ-M

Whitney was one of the greatest songbirds in the past three decades; she gave her music her all. Her pain was deep, and that is where her music came from; she is at peace now, and she deserves respect, as well as her mother, daughter, and other family members. We have no right to judge her. Period!

What we can learn from this is that addiction takes its toll on everything and everyone; it can kill the body, and forever scar the ones left behind. So those of us in situations where we know of individuals fighting addiction, we do well to heed warning signs to help them before it takes its toll, and we shouldn't start after the fact. DRUGS ARE DANGEROUS! There should be no right of passage for our young to go down this path.

February 17, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Louie

Agreed Stevie!! She was still one of a kind. She had her demons just like the rest of us, but her talent was amazing and I will always be a fan.

February 17, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Yaiyo1962

Thank you Stevie! These ELVIS fans kill me being cynical....what did he die from?

February 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mariel LaJardin

The funeral was a sad, staged farce. Odd as "everyone" showed up for the funeral with make-up and hair done, not to forget their "handlers." Clive Davis is a bare-faced liar: if Whitney was "like a daughter" to him, why did the party go on with his "daugher's" body just floors above him? With all that money to be made. Whitney in debt. No one was "there" for her when an intervention should have been done – no time. I am sick of these entertainers who are self-centered to the point of their deaths when there are other things in life which the millions could have bought.

February 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Even with all the "handlers", ultimately, Whitney was an adult and made her own decisions. You can't MAKE anyone do anything; one can only impress upon them the negative consequences of substance abuse and its behaviors. Unfortunately, this story will be told over and over again by others. But the manner in which she died does not diminish her incredible talent. We all are people with many sides; we are not all one way all the time. We should hope that people would focus on the good we've done and not the mistakes we've made on our journey.

February 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

There are legit companies just be crafeul with charges etc and pay any loan back on time. There's a few sites listed here -.

March 14, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |