Arsenio Hall, Debbie Gibson talk ‘Celebrity Apprentice’
February 17th, 2012

Arsenio Hall, Debbie Gibson talk ‘Celebrity Apprentice’

Sunday night’s fifth season premiere of “Celebrity Apprentice" will host a record number of 18 contestants, which means there's also a larger variety of cast members, from Adam Carolla and Penn Jillette to Arsenio Hall and Debbie Gibson.

The former late night talk show host and former teen pop sensation recently spoke with reporters, along with the show’s star and executive producer, Donald Trump.

After so many years of doing this, Trump reflected on what he’s learned so far. For one thing, don't judge a contestant by his or her cover.

“Sometimes you’re so amazed with some people, that you have them and you see them and you meet them, and they look great and they’re dressed sharp,” he said. “Everything’s great, and you say, ‘Oh, wow, they’re going to be fantastic.’ And they turn out to be a total dud. And then you’ll have some that you don’t really predict will do that well, and they turn out to be superstars.”

Who does Trump think would be great on the show? Easy: "Pete Rose."

But, he went on, “he hates the concept of being fired, even though I think it would be great for him. So I know he seriously thinks about it. He really wants to be on this show, but he does have a little problem with that.”

There weren’t many clues as to which "Celebrity Apprentice" cast members would turn out to be superstars, but from the conversation, it appeared that Arsenio Hall, at least, had made it pretty far.

Hall said that one of the most interesting aspects of the show is seeing celebrities taken out of their comfort zone.

For instance, when "Clay Aiken screams at somebody and says, ‘Clean those bugs out of that pot now!’" Hall said. "That’s when the show gets hard, because first of all, a person who makes all the decisions in their life...is not only being told what to do, but to do some nasty manual labor. It seems like the really tough things... made the hardest, most interesting television moments.”

Last season saw NeNe Leakes take on Dionne Warwick and LaToya Jackson, while Meatloaf had a meltdown dealing with Gary Busey.

Trump said we have more of that kind of rivalry to look forward to with at least two contestants this season: “I don’t know what it is that [comedian] Lisa [Lampanelli] had against [former Miss Universe] Dayana [Mendoza], but it was brutal.”

Debbie Gibson said that she originally hesitated on doing the show, but the chance to raise money for her charity of choice (not to mention seeing the wonders the show did for the career of fellow ‘80s pop star Cyndi Lauper) ultimately convinced her to do it.

She said that she hoped to conduct herself like last year’s runner-up, Marlee Matlin.

“I called her and her interpreter and we all had breakfast, and I just kind of picked her brain a bit. And I wanted to go on and obviously be me and be authentic, but I felt like she just was like, the least gimmicky of everybody I’d ever seen on the show.”

1. Demitie Berkao

Itis going to be end of mine day, except before finish I am reading this great piece of writing to improve my experience.

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tu zona tecnologica

Thank you, I've recently been looking for info about this topic for a while and yours is the best I've found out so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the supply?|What i do not understood is in fact how you're now not actually much more smartly-liked than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

April 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. photo haven

February 29, 2012 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. BaddaBing

So far, Penn and Clay impress me. The Gotti stretched-face woman "has gotta go".

February 20, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. di

Trump is not particularly bright and he knows it...hence his insecurity complex. Criticizing President Obama makes people like Trump and the Tea Partiers feel superior. He's an idiot. I marvel at the way people and the media kowtow to this pathetic orange bully.

February 20, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. RealTalk

'The Donald' ...really? News flash, with all the trouble we have in the world now, I doubt if anybody is seriously thinking about that CLOWN or his crappy for circus show.

February 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Voltaire

Nobody sees through that pompous jerk better than lawrence o donnel and jon stewart

February 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Debbie Ryan

I think Dee Snider will win the Cleb...a... Disney channel star :)

February 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. greg

She is smoking hot....I wouldn't mind watching her ride my pole, a little reverse cowgirl action

February 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MP4/3GP VIDEOS, FOR FREE, GET IT NOW! Note:18

well said, dnt be too fast to juge a contestant

February 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Elizabeth Wafula

I hope he has given up poking his nose in the Presidential elections he has nothing to offer but his inflated graceless obnoxious ego.

February 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CombOver

HE'S NOT A BILLIONAIRE!!!

February 19, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. REVENGE****

@JON,Are you perfect!! Is anyone perfect? Answer:Noo Its a free country I can mispell the whole dictionary if I want to

February 19, 2012 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sherri

Donald Trump is a buffoonish joke. He'll say anything anywhere to get publicity. Most intelligent people recognize him for what he is, a shameless huckster who'll say anything for attention. And his show should be called something else. "Celebrity" Apprentice? I think not. Mostly D-listers. The only redeeming quality is the charity aspect. Otherwise it's the same silly, scripted tripe as most other 'reality' shows. KACK!

February 19, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. oohlala

A billionare who wears a comb-over! Ugh! Trademark hair or whatever it still looks like a rats nest!

February 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. n

He is thief. Steals from poor. He thinks he is something but he is a dirt bag. He is the worst billionaire We have on the earth

February 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. One man band

Debbie Gibson is pregnant with my two headed love child, it's a Bigfoot baby, all covered in fur now, stark raving naked in the fornication nation – Mojo Nixon

February 18, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jeff

I think Debbie Gibson is great. Loved her from the beginning.... FYI, her cameo in TGIF was awesome!!

February 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ivette Alvarez

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THIS SHOW WHO BRINGS CELEBRITES TO WORK HARD, sometimes performing jobs that they would never tackle because of their star status, to raise fuds for honest & recognized charities in desperate need of funds. I am glad Mr. Trumpt is willing to support this activity even though it will bring him financial gain too.

February 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Frank

A billionaire who can do anything he wants, that's who.

February 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Frank

Yes, a loser. A billionaire loser. An oxymoron if ever there was one.

February 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. @Richard

Lmao! U're nuts

February 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • @@richard

yeah, he's nuts, but not in a good way. creepy, stalker kind of nuts maybe. we all know he loves to lick his nuts. it's probably the only action that he actually gets. poor dickyforeskin.

February 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Coolbreeze

I enjoy kicking people with my shoes on.

February 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jimbo

This show is cool. Plus it raises a lot of scrip for charity! Get a life haters!!!

February 18, 2012 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  25. Shari-Ohio

I'm boycotting his damn show this year. I just got so fed up with Trump and that presidential fiasco.

February 18, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  26. mss.hall

The show was better when they had non-celebrity contestants, seems like the donald has lost focus.

February 17, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. REVENGE****

Stop being so nasty, you bunch of morons!!! I love Donald's show I get to enjoy it and learn from it. The apparentes is one of the most influence show ever. SO DON'T HATE EDUCATE. PEACE.

February 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlackTamica

Could you calling names? Learn how to write grammatically correct. Enough with your ghetto run on sentences. Where did you go to school, the Bronx Zoo?

February 18, 2012 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Black Tamica

I mean could YOU quit calling names?

February 18, 2012 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
    • John

You're telling these people to "educate"!?! That's hilarious when you can't even spell.

February 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • n

Another kiss ass .

February 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • GTFO

If you're getting your education from some reality television show clearly YOU are the moron!

February 19, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  28. DOB

Donald Trump can wax my scrotum.

February 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. rosie miller

I AGREE DONALD TRUMP'S SHOW SHOULD HAVE BEEN AXED. ITS PROBABLY ALL HE'S GOT GOING. IM NOT GIVING THAT SHOW MY NEILSON RATING

February 17, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

"All he's got going"? Hey, genius, he's a frickin' BILLIONAIRE.

February 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnsWrong

He's NOT a billionaire. The fact is he refuses to disclose any proof of his exact net worth. Why do you supposed that is?

February 19, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. warren

Cast of characters every season.

February 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Red Pison

After all that disgusting birther and racism crap Trump pulled, the network should have axed his show. Here's hoping for one final season cut short yet again by an announcement of good news from President Obama.

February 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • di

I think Trump's real country of birth is Borneo, as he looks like an orangutan.

February 19, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |