Madonna on M.I.A. bird flip: It was out of place
February 10th, 2012

Madonna on M.I.A. bird flip: It was out of place

Madge stayed mum when her co-performer, M.I.A., flipped off America during the Super Bowl, but the singer is now speaking out.

In an interview with Ryan Seacrest on his radio show Friday, Madonna said she honestly had no idea M.I.A. had even done it.

"I was really surprised," Madonna tells Seacrest. "I didn't know anything about it."

And when she learned of M.I.A.'s middle finger brouhaha, she says she "wasn't happy about it."

"I understand it's punk rock and everything, but to me there was such a feeling of love and good energy, and positivity, it seemed negative," the performer said. "It's such a teenager, irrelevant thing to do. There was such a feeling of love and unity there, what was the point? It was just out of place."

A source close to M.I.A. said the artist didn't do the action intentionally, saying she was "nervous and not thinking," and that "adrenaline took over."

"It wasn't meant as a gesture or statement of any kind," the source continued. "She feels horrible for putting Madonna in that position. She messed up."

Filed under: Celebrities • Madonna • Super Bowl

1. jujubeans

I'd like to give Madonna the bird

February 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. omnescient

i watched the performace and didnt even see that....what the big deal anyways? that was so PG compared to the crap that is usually on prime time tv.

February 14, 2012 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sokman

Like Madonna has any right to comment or judge. What was she doing at that age? Anything she could for publicity. She's just jealous M.I.A. is hotter than she ever was

February 12, 2012 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

She was going through boy-toys like Steven King through a ream of paper.

February 28, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ?

M.I.A is corny anyway. Amanda Blank is a million times better.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3z3KFtvAOk&w=640&h=390]

February 11, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Who Cares

Hahahaha. Amanda Blank???? Are you smoking something? Empty, cotton candy, fluff, brainless rap. Just another pop uprising among the thousands that will disappear like smoke in a few years. MIA is intelligent and creative, and unlike ANYTHING that's been out for years. Anyway, even AMANDA knows she's (herself) BLANK. Hahaha. Now post some more videos fool. MIA RULES.

February 12, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike Tyson

I would do her!!

February 11, 2012 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Fire marshall bill

White people=the child molester race!!!

February 10, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Fire marshall bill

@LDS are you talking about the Utah, that is littered with child molesters and weird religions, No thanks!! we would`nt allow ourselves in Utah.....unless you pay us millions to play for the JAZZ!

February 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ^ ^ @lady above

She sure looks kneegrow to me. A j!gg is a j!gg regardless of where there black stinky dirty body was born. GROSS. No one likes a dirty smelly n!gger.

February 10, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Inbred Ho

Just the thought of a stank, inbred white persob makes my skin crawl. White folks are disgusitng. yuck

February 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RamblinRosie

Young punk M.I.A. proved her immaturity and lack of class and ensured she will never get an invite to perform on any kind of a national (much less global) scale. Way to sink your career with one bend of a finger. Stupid. Madonna was O.K. She gets around pretty well for an old gal like me. And she should look good...she has endless amounts of time and financial resources to take care of herself. If my job was to look good, dance and sing, I'd look like a million bucks, too.

February 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lakeisha Jackson

MIA got EXACTLY what she wanted. Everyone is talking about her, and her photo was all over the media. Her expletive-laden "flip off" was about as spontaneous as Janet Jackson's boob flop-out.
    Madonna is right, it was a childish thing to do. But that sure sounds hypocritical coming from someone whose self-promotion stunts when she was younger included a strut down Rodeo Drive at noon...boob-jiggling, spraggle-ass nekkid.

February 10, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lo Jenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5fjSS9B2Ow&w=640&h=390]

February 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Imus

She was dumb for doing a stupid thing that was hardly noticed. I was more offended that David Beckham did a commerical where he was practically naked. Where's the uproar about that???

February 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vex

You idiots need to grow a pair and move along already. The show was lame, uninspiring just like every super bowl show but hardly offensive. If it's that offensive, start digging that bunker so you can hide yourself from humanity and wait for the rapture to come or whatever you people do to escape reality.

February 11, 2012 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. theDude

Those are three filthy women.

February 10, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Justsoyouknow

M.I.A is asian not black.

February 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DON

What else would you expect from a black performer? They are animals.

February 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frankie

She's from Sri Lanka fool. But I guess you just look at dark skin and pre-judge. That's like saying that all white folks because their skin is white are baby killers, wife killers and let's not forget serial killers. Or saying that all white folks are inbred.

February 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

@Don – ref Frankie's post. Whose the animal now???

February 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Duane

Yeah. She eats d oo d oo.

February 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Joseph

She did more damage to future young talents that might have been invited to play the super bowl,Then she did to a multimillionaire.And calling flipping the finger a mistake due to the excitement of the moment,is a joke.

February 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Black Rat

Missing.In.Action is what she should have been from the superbowl haliftime show, just like her name.

February 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LDS II

IF they didnt allow blacks to even be on tv we wouldnt have problems like this.

February 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reader48

Because you are an obvious idiot I'll say it slowly. M.I.A. is NOT BLACK she is from Sri Lanka.

February 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reader48

Its near India.

February 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Oh and I suppose Justin Timberlake was totally duped during that whole Janet Jackson fiasco.

February 10, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • er

how bout just selling utah to moscow, then you can just be as white as you want.

February 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Right

And I am willing to bet that you are not from Utah and not LDS because what you just said was stupid.

February 11, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • H David

You're so ignorant, MIA isn't black. Stay in Utah, cause you wouldn't be able to manage or function outside of your ignorant little world. It's no wonder they stuck white trash in that part of the country!

February 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • H. David

And it's because of black people that music even exists. White people don't even have talent, all their good for is stealing ideas from others, being ignorant and jealous of other races because their dying down, and trying to put other races down due to their insecurities of other cultures. Face it, it sucks to be white! Your skin, your hair, your eyes, everything is screaming diseases! Its bad genes is what I say! Thank God I wasn't born white!

February 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • H David

The majority of your whites, don't even know where the F*** your from, have no family life, no wonder you people are confused and schizophrenics! All that mixing up, must be bad for your blood. You can't even pin point where you're from, b/c you're definitely NOT from America! Oh no! You think you are, but you're not! And LDS you might even have some Cherokee in ya! Hahahahaha!!!

February 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LDS II

That is why we dont allow black people here in Utah the Beautiful. They carry switchblades in their afros, you know.

February 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JOSE'

Tacos y burritos es muy bueno mi compadre. Mi espaniol es my bueno. Tu eres un grande amigo. Que lastima-lo siento mucho.

February 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Black Rat

Who in the fck is M.I.A anyway??And why in the fck there was no booty shaking in the superbowl halftime show??fck madonna she is the same age as T~Rex, And 1yr younger than my great,great,greatgrandmother

February 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JOSE'

You just dont understand the Mexican language. If you are from south of the border it is very very funny. OLE.

February 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. PEDRO GOMEZ

This is the lamest show I have ever seen. An animated talking dog and baby. It is just dumb. Plus what is up with that Stewy character? It is just dumb. BTW I YAM FIIIIIRSTY !

February 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |