'House' to end after season 8 wraps
February 8th, 2012

'House' to end after season 8 wraps

"House" star Hugh Laurie, along with fellow executive producers David Shore and Katie Jacobs, announced Wednesday that this season of "House" will be its last.

"The producers have always imagined 'House' as an enigmatic creature; he should never be the last one to leave the party," a statement says. "How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air."

And so, the three EPs thank "the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make 'House' the show it has been"; Fox and Universal Television; and, last but not least, the audience.

"Some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show," the statement says. "But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of 'House' have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience. Even the show's detractors have been flattering in their way."

Working on "House" "has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 [episodes]. The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold."

Kevin Reilly, the president of Fox entertainment, said in a statement that it's with "much regret, and a lump in our throats" that the network sends Dr. House on his way.

"We respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made," Reilly says. "A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire 'House' team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show."

"House" director/producer Greg Yaitanes promises in a tweet that the "the team as an amazing series finale in store" for fans.

What do you think - is it time for Dr. House to "leave the party" so to speak? Or were you hoping for one more season?

Filed under: television

1. James

I don't normally watch TV but when I was introduced to shows like House and Nip/Tuck, I was hooked! I can totally relate to House. I am sorry to see it go but as the saying goes, for good things to last, they must first be remembered. I don't care what anyone says, I think the entire case, past and present did an excellent job portraying their roles. Answer to the initial question? I never thought it would end! :)

February 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. House

SAD..... But we saw this coming a thousand miles away when Cuddy didn't return. What were they thinking.

February 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sus

Fav Song: Heartbreak Hotel with Kelly Price & Faith Evans

February 12, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. A-Boogie

I WAS HOPING THAT HOUSE WOULDN'T END THIS SEASON...HUGH LAURIE IS SUCH AN AWESOME ACTOR...I WANT TO MEET HIM IN PERSON...THATS HOW MUCH I LOVE HOUSE!!!! PLEASE KEEP THE SEASON GOING ON FOR ANOTHER YEAR...PLEASE!!!

February 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristine M.

I agree. I've been so caught up in High School as a Junior. It was sad to hear that this was the LAST. Forever. Hopefully I could order the DVD's of all seasons, and watch it from the very beginning. I was hooked onto House since about Middle School. Per say around 2006-2009. At first glance I immediately knew I would commit to watching this show as much as possible. I always dream that I'd meet him someday. Hopefully that day will come. He is so eccentric,but really cool and dramatic.

June 4, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kenya

wt a great finale wilit be if walter bishop(john noble) and olivia dunham(anna torv) appear in house

February 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

Oh great! Now where will I get my weekly dose of someone vomiting blood?

February 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Yea

About time, this show was garbage.

February 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Diane

I love House. I have watched it since the beginning. It has had it's ups and downs. I hate to see it go, but I think it is time to say goodbye.

February 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Texbrooks

Not since the days of Northern Exposure, have I enjoyed a series a series more. Would it be possible for House to get one of the girls on the show pregnant. I think a great spin off would be "Son of House"

February 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sara

For me House ended at Season 6, Episode 1. House got out of rehab, a better person. Chase and Cameron were married.

February 10, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kjblue

I have watched this show since the beginning. I still watch marathons when they are on. I agree this season I lost interest but it was a great run. House is and will remain my favorate character on TV.

February 10, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. Maxi Ries

YES! It's time for Dr. House to leave the party. The first three seasons were great entertainment; I enjoyed watching the cast try to diagnosis the strange symptoms of their patients, but Dr. House's narcissistic sociopathic act got old and his cast of changing characters with their silly problems got older. All good things must come to an end...perhaps, House's should have come a little sooner.

February 10, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. OrangeW3dge

i always felt that Dr House was a clever pseudonym for Holmes, and Wilson for Watson. House unravels the medical and personal mysteries that no-one else sees. And for a long time that carried all of the other madness. But I felt that the pattern of making three wrong diagnosis, seemingly every episode, before having the scheduled epiphany, became rather transparent. Of course I blame the writers and/or producers for not being more devious. Hugh Laurie was a great Bertie Wooster and Dr. House, and I hope to see him soon. The rest of the cast were also wonderful and would be stars in their own right where ever the TV industry could place them.
    Best wishes !!!

February 10, 2012 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Edgard

It used to be good, but surrendered to TV merchandising, especifically to the tobbaco industry. Not funny any more.

February 10, 2012 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. DEE

If the character of HOUSE hadn't gotten so dark and drug laden maybe this show would still be on target. Changing the cast so much and such really didnt help it. I miss the relationship btwn Cuddy and House and hope they finally get together somehow. Bring back the way the show started and end it WELL for GOD'S sake. :-(

February 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Bill P

I love watching House, but I think they lost their way after season six. Became too much relationship/soap opera and less of the medicine that is the core of the show. Season seven was disappointing, House's character was taken beyond believable and the House & Cuddy story line was an anti-climax. Better to have left the relationship as it was, tense, flirty, antagonistic. Season eight seems to be back on track, but shaky. I did like the Dr. Masters character.

February 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dan Clermont

I am very sorry to see this show end. They had a great run and everyone involved should be very proud of this excellent show. I know that every one will continue to be successful in the rest of their careers. I look forward to any and all future projects.

February 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Nicki

Heartbroken!

February 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tom Bruce

One of the best series ever on TV. The only one for which I have collected all seasons on DVD for repeated viewings.

February 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. sad

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Im sad! I hope they end it in a way that makes sense not some fairy tale happily ever after that sells House out!

February 9, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. San Jose

I only just watching this show a few months ago on USA. I absolutely LOVE the show, but I agree that after Cuddy & 13 left it lost a bit of energy. I still have a ton of episodes to see, so I'm not that bummed. It's definitely time to end. House is hot though!!

February 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Sarah

This is favorite show of all time, this is a sad day :(

February 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. DD

Now maybe H. Lourie will record and release more music, I really hope!

February 9, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  24. aspiemum

We have thoroughly enjoyed House..LOVE the humor! He and Wilson are Princeton's Sherlock and Watson! The show will be sorely missed...especially in an ever-growing field of vapid, insipid, and flat-out awful television "programming". The ending of this show is one more reason to simply unplug the cable!
    Thank you Hugh Laurie and cast! it has been a grand run!

February 9, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  25. ajeb

The original cast owned the show. The loss of 13 and cuddy added further issues that the show could not bounce back or at least hold steady. The new cast totally is the cause of the show lack of the energy it once held.

February 9, 2012 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
    • ESC

I totally agree. I loved this show – its multi-dimensionality and cast chemistry – for the first 7 seasons. It has gone so far downhill this year – the new characters are just boring. So thanks for wonderful characters for the first 7 seasons – and remarkable performances from Hugh Laurie – some of the best I've ever seen from any actor on TV.

February 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tone Doctor

The only original characters missing are Cuddy and Cameron. 13 wasn't original. I do agree with you though. There is a compete lack of good subtext and dramatic line. This show was done for after season 6.

February 10, 2012 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sarah

Unfortunately, I lost interest with the season finale last year – both House and the writers went too far. I understand the need for "gotchas" but this didn't feel like the House we knew and loved. This season has been struggling to find ground with all our favorite cast members gone and new ones struggling to take their place. I will fondly remember seasons 1-7, but season 8 is an incredible disappointment.

February 9, 2012 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Nik

I agree. Seasons 1-7 were grand but they fell off the rails somewhere. The whole thing about House that we love to hate as his "friends" was that no matter how far he went, no matter what he did, how strange it was, no matter how far outside the law (he knew about the killing of a head of state after all) House never got into any serious trouble. That is the "I can't stand you" part about addicts and their enablers and that was the fun part about the show. No matter what they do, there are no real consequences. Even when one of his own committed suicide, House went on to the annoyance of WIlson. Getting locked up was too disjointed. Losing 13, his feminine self was disaster.

February 12, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Z

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

February 9, 2012 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sokman

I can lick my eyebrows. Chicks dig that

February 9, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  29. Sokman

The movie House with William Katt & Richard Moll was better

February 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • pboat

I remember that movie! You seriously just jogged some childhood memories!

February 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Patty_Sandy9

Noooooooo, please don't! Just get rid of those girls and bring Cuddy back! at least one more season T.T

February 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • joom_26

I like Dr. Park. The somewhat awkwardness she brings to the group is just what it needs. Please don't take it away!

February 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |