Daniel Radcliffe: 'Harry Potter' and the Oscar snobs
February 8th, 2012

Daniel Radcliffe: 'Harry Potter' and the Oscar snobs

Although he's said he didn't expect a best picture Oscar nod, Daniel Radcliffe is nonetheless a little "miffed" that "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" didn't make it into the major Oscar categories when nominations were announced in January. (The movie did receive nods in three technical categories.)

In an interview with Radio Times on Tuesday, Radcliffe said that the wildly lucrative "Harry Potter" franchise has been continuously ignored by the Academy. The last film in the series, "Deathly Hallows - Part 2," alone made $1.3 billion at the global box office, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

"I don't think the Oscars like commercial films, or kids' films, unless they're directed by Martin Scorsese," Radcliffe told the Radio Times. "I was watching 'Hugo' the other day and going, 'Why is this nominated and we're not?' I was slightly miffed."

Radcliffe added: "There's a certain amount of snobbery ... It's kind of disheartening. I never thought I'd care."

This is not the first time the "Woman in Black" star has voiced his opinion on the nominations.

Just last Friday, Radcliffe said in an interview with BBC America that Alan Rickman, who played Professor Severus Snape, should have received some Academy recognition for his performance in the finale.

"The one thing I would have loved was for Alan Rickman to get nominated ... I think what Alan does with that character, with the world watching you expecting that scene to be a certain way, was amazing," he said.

On the films, Radcliffe continued: "I don’t know if it’s a case of being passed over. I think it could just be that we’re not one of the nine best films of the year ... Actually, we probably made the top nine in my head now that I think about it."

But in another interview with Moviefone in January, he said that not getting enough Oscar attention wasn't "something we're going to be losing sleep over."

"I didn't expect it to be nominated for best picture, and no, it doesn't faze us," Radcliffe said at the time.

And while many may argue that the movie didn't do complete justice to J.K. Rowling's books, overall the series has been enthusiastically received by fans, critics and newbies. Yet there has been zero Oscar wins, even in the craft categories.

So, is Radcliffe's disappointment valid? Do commercially successful and beloved movies like "Harry Potter" and "Bridesmaids" get snubbed because they aren't supposedly "intellectual," or "artistic" enough? Or is it that the fantasy genre can never compete with Academy darlings like "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," despite the latter being panned?

Matt Kiebus of Death + Taxes magazine supported Radcliffe's statement, and said that the Oscars have rarely been about the people's choice.

"The idea that the average viewer doesn’t have a vote bothers some, but the idea that the Oscars have an agenda and play favorites is much more vexing," he said.

Kiebus goes on to say that while the "Harry Potter" series has been given technical nods, it's still not enough.

"Historical dramas, biopics, corruption, war and physical transformations all frequently do well, while comedy, action, animation and kids’ films are often slighted," he said.

Yet there are some well-known exceptions. "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" received the best picture Oscar in 2004, and according to BoxOfficeMojo.com, had a domestic gross of $377 million. In 2010, box office champ "Avatar" was nominated in the best picture category and went on to win three Oscars.

When the nominations were first announced, many "HP" fans were outraged and threatened to boycott the Oscars. But bloggers like Kevin P. Sullivan turned their pity to the Academy, stating that the franchise is just an example of how out of touch the Academy is and that "the snub reveals the supreme stubbornness of the Academy."

"This year's best picture contenders make up the safest and most Oscar-friendly field of nominees in recent memory," Sullivan said on MTV's Movie Blog. "A nomination for 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2' would have defied Academy stereotypes and shook up a race that is destined to leave many viewers snoring."

Do you agree with Radcliffe's sentiments? Were you also hoping for a "HP" major category nomination? Or do you think the Academy has chosen well?

1. dallas roofing

obviously like your website but you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality then again I'll certainly come back again.

May 25, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. T Mobile Girl

This is just a really interesting website

April 4, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. absinthefiend

On one hand, I agree with everything Kabelme said. On the other hand, the Oscars are a lot like governmental politics: we all know 99% of those involved are vapid, inane, and pretentious little ponces, and really shouldn't be involved at all.

February 29, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jan

I thought "The Academy" should have given a special award for the series as a whole–maybe oscars for the producer(s) of all the movies. The series was magic. I agree with others that Rickman should have been nominated for an individual acting award.

February 28, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. llldc

i agree alan rickman should have been nominated for best supporting actor, his performance was absolutely heartbreaking. and 'iron lady's' iron-faced makeup over the special effects in harry potter? ridiculous. and, rango over the brilliant animation of kung fu panda 2? i will not be losing any sleep staying up for next years broadcast...

February 28, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. SueM

Definitely deserved a set design nomination on any one of the movies. They did a great job in that.

February 28, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. JW Maganda

I don't watch the Oscars because it's so obvious that it's not what you know BUT who you know and who's kissing more assssssssss. My evening was more entertaining watching NCIS reruns. I luv you Abby!!!

February 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. woodrow

The academy awards is definitely practicing art snobbery. You can't ignore the audience in a truthful award accounting.

February 27, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kabelme

Rickman, yes, oscar nomination worthy. The rest of the HP cast, no. The movie, no. It is entertaining, but not consuming, nor thought provoking. Does it change the way I view the world, no. Does it make me wonder what I would do in a particular situation, no. Do I actually care about the plot, no. Sorry, I thought the kid actors were bad when they got the parts, and remain bad to this day. Rickman should get an oscar, because it was truly gifted actors like him that made the movie TOLERABLE, no nominatable:)

February 27, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. Alisha

I think Alan Rickman should of been nominated. His portrayal of Professor Severus Snape was beyond superb.

February 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Derek

I won't say HP deserves an Oscar but I will say that half the movies nominated don't deserve the recognition they get. We live in a society where a select few who someone decides gets to be the voice on which movies are best pick the most obscure movies that only a hand full of people saw until after the nominations mostly because they are "edgy" or "indie".... Its not really that surprising.....the people that are the most vocal are usually the ones who like movies that the masses dont know about....thats indie, hipster culture 101 and shocker, a large majority of the film industry is full of that culture.

I dont really care either way, I just watch what I think looks interesting, unfortunately most people who have been put in a position to judge movies, wont give many mainstream pictures much credit and thats due to the culture behind it. Culture that is one in the same with the hipster, indie culture.

February 24, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Schmuz

I don't think it deserves an Oscar.

February 20, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. macphile

Funny...the only real emotional moment in any of the movies, IMHO, was Snape's memory. Let's give that scene an Oscar. Maybe even Alan Rickman. But there are so many turkey scenes in those films, LOL...and I've watched them dozens of times because I love the series overall, you understand. Chris' efforts in the beginning were solid, where by solid I mean, "They'd retracted into his body out of sheer terror," if you follow. The CGI was often shameful. PoA was...well, I'll just leave that entirely. I liked it at first, but the more I watched it, the more I realized it had an amazing ability to make me not care about a single character on the screen. GoF was OK, apart from so much of it just not beng covered in any meaningful way. The rest were all good and did the job, mostly. Oscar, though...not so much.

And Daniel has too many moments on screen to which I exclaim, "I...am...ACTING!" Ha ha. He is a young man with many skills and many abilities. Pretending to be forceful and angry isn't one of them. Bless his heart.

February 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. macphile

OK, wow, Daniel...I'm as big an HP fan as anyone. But an Oscar? There are some bloody good actors in the HP films. Daniel isn't one of them, to be blunt. Neither are Emma or Rupert, and I mean no offense at all here. Emma and Rupert did great jobs. Daniel did a decent job. But none of them are Oscar level. And I suspect that's what Dan's on about here. Not about supporting actors or even best picture. And when does the Academy ever give awards for movies in series? Meh.

February 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. VonZae Aubel

Heck yeah, I think it's an outrage! The Oscars used to be so tasteful in their choices. They honored the actors everybody loved, and rewarded them well. Now, they seem to just look for the most morbid, macabre plots and go with those.
    There is a whole bunch of incredible raw talent out there that is totally being snubbed by these snobs just because they get showcased in a decent movie now and then! They used to reward a job well done above and beyond just another role. They no longer do that or else the HP series would be nominated many times over. So many talented actors, young and old.
    But the most outstanding has to be Alan Rickman. When he hits the set, he just outshines everybody else. He's incredible! And he just kept getting better even when it seemed it was not possible! He's in his PRIME! I could stand to see a lifetime achievement award for him, myself!
    And so many talented kids! Tom Felton, Daniel Redcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, I mean, these kids aren't too young! Judy Garland was only 14, wasn't she, when she got nominated? That was a kid's film! Come on, Academy! Get back to your roots!

February 10, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Daniel

Agree Alan Rickman is better than Jonah Hill overall in the series and deserves a nomination.
    But the HP movies themselves? Come on, they are okay entertaining movies at the higher end of the B class. Sort of like McDonalds, very popular, has many fans, but not exactly a high quality product . Certainly not in the same class as Lord of The Rings.
    It's sort like comparing Tolkien and Rowlings... would you seriously put them in the same class? I think a more apt comparison is Enid Blyton..

February 9, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Robert

Ok, I don't agree with this as much as I would with other movies, but I definitely agree that this was the time for Harry Potter to get some recognition. Yeah, Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 didn't live up to all the expectations (to the book and for the movie itself), but it was the best they had put out since Azkaban. If anything, I am appalled that Alan Rickman didn't at least receive some recognition for his performance. Disagree with me if you must, but you have to admit that was their best shot for breaking through to a major category. Now I don't feel as strongly about it with Potter (it definitely isn't as appalling as with, let's say, The Dark Knight), but the Academy has definitely made it's stinginess and favoritism loud and clear in the past several years.

February 9, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  18. Eleanor Cromwell

I agree wholeheartedly with Dan Radcliffe. The movie was marvelous and Alan Rickman's performance in the finale was as good as and better than most of those did receive a nomination.

February 9, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  19. Alex

@nbafan

I think the Artist should win Actor in a Leading Role and Best Picture.

I think Midnight in Paris should win Screenplay.

I think Scorsese should win Director.

February 9, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • quori

Someone should explain to Mr. Radcliffe that when you make an entire 8 film movie franchise that will gross BILLIONS upon BILLIONS in box office, TV, licensing, etc etc…and you PURPOSEFULLY leave out the possibility of using ANYONE except British actors/actresses in it. Are you truly surprised that the AMERICAN Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences snubs you?

Really?! Dude, the OSCARS are not have never and never will be about box office. That's things like the People's Choice awards. The OSCARS are about kissing your fellow studio members' collective asses. Next time tell the Brit-snob author to use an international cast.

February 9, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Well, I've heard people argue the fact that the Academy doesn't give them credit because it all British and all that...

At the same time, I can't agree because last year's Best Picture, Screenplay, Director, Actor in a Leading Role all went to The King's Speech. A British film with a British director about a British King and with a full British cast.

Plain and simple, I think the academy fairly picks what it thinks are the best films of the year. I know the winner sometimes comes down to "politics" or whatever, but the nominees are almost 100% accurate.

This year I successfully predicted 8 of the 9 nominees, with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close being the exception.

February 9, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • serialmom

Hmm, I am wondering if you are the Alex that I know.

March 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alex

Oh and also...just because a film is commercially successful doesn't necessarily mean its good. Let's make that much clear.

February 9, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  21. Alex

The problem is that a lot of people don't know how to tell a great film from a mediocre one. If you haven't watched anything from before 1990, you really should not be making any comments about what the Academy represents, or what it should nominate.

They're doing their job in making sure that great filmmaking continues to be praised. None of the Harry Potter films were what you should call "Great" films. I'm a huge fan of the books, and I'll defend them from haters til the day I die...but let's be honest...the films aren't that great.

Alan Rickman did a good job as Snape, but his performance was only borderline Oscar nomination worthy. I'm sure he was considered.

February 9, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • nbafan

Thanks for making some great comments on this board, hopefully it helps with alot of the confusion in regards to the Academy. The only grip I had was 50/50 getting snubbed on some categories. But on a whole, I thought the Academy did a solid job. Maybe too much love for "The Descendants" but that's just opinon. I just hope Hugo gets some recognition.

I love the Oscars because it takes great films and puts them on the forefront rather then showing off which film franchise made the most money. The Grammy's on the other hand are a complete joke. Their panel has no idea what they're doing ever since Norah Jones cleaned house with her elevator music.

February 9, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. original nunya

screw the oscars..its a bunch of project runway judges with pencil mustaches and guy liner clucking like a bunch of hens in a room who pick the oscar winners...obviously they are completely out of touch with what a family would go see at a theater..as much as the blackball blockbuster family movies i agree that they are keeping the floundering movie business afloat... go harry potter...although you are a sub standard LOTR youre not bad

February 9, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Thiago

Wow! You just took care of a huge part of my to do list for gardening. This is my first year and I'm very excietd! This is wonderful! Thanks!Can't wait for the fall schedule!

April 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. leo

first of all the oscars are very picky really picky so let me say what i have to say is this it is what it is the academy should have nominated alan rickman he gives an incredible performance on all harry potter films i saw but i agree what daniel radcliffe had to express because that is how he feels about the oscars but the last harry potter 7 part 1 was good and the 7 part 2 i was dissapointed because the book is so different from the film but you know what it is what is that's all folks!!!!!!!!!!! And now the nominees for best supporting actor is me :)

February 9, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  24. Nathan

I really LOVED the first HP movie. It was a nice movie.

February 9, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  25. The smack

I agree

February 9, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. nbafan

While the HP films were commercially successful, they were not that good. For once, I believe the Academy got it right. To compare HP vs. Hugo is autrocious. Hugo was a brilliant movie with some very moving moments throughout the film. Not to mention it's great satire on movies on a whole. For Radcliffe to compare his CGI stinkfest of a plot to Hugo is embarassing. Sure someone may deserve a best supporting actor role, but the HP series has never been anything special. Everyone has their opinions, but I believe the Academy did a nice job of making their selections for best films. Even though I hope "The Artist" doesn't get all the awards, just best picture :)

February 9, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  27. Saber

The Harry Potter films were great films. My wife and I enjoyed all of them, and added them to our large DVD/VHS Library. We also have the Lord of the Rings Series too. Personally, I have to agree with many folks here which state the Academy Awards folks are totally out of touch. True many of the kids movies do not make it into their ideal of what should be, but hey I thought Disney's "Cars" was a great film also. But lets take this even furhter. Adult geared cartoons such as Anime never make it either. Appleseed, (2004), was a great film, likewise Final Fantasy: Spirit Within, and Ghost in the Shell never got a mention. The artwork in these films was outstanding. But then again it should be interesting to see what they may be faced with with Battleship Yamato finally releases here in the states too.
    Additionally, several other WWII films never made mention either: Enemy at the Gates, or Memphis Belle for example, and we will see how Red Tails does too. I think Pearl Harbor only got a mention for musical score, which was upsetting. But then again when you run the Tora, Tora, Tora, romance movie and combine it with 30 Seconds over Tokyo, you have a little issue. At any rate just food for thought.

February 9, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  28. FrankandBeans

When I was in the 5th grade, I cried because Hogwarts isn't a real school.
    #HP Fan 'til I die!!!

February 9, 2012 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  29. gatorgurl

I thought that Harry Potter was a VERY good movie and I am not gay. I have everyone that was made. I also think that Alan Rickmam should have been nominated for something. He played the part of Severus Snape to the tee. That Is all I have to say on the matter and DO NOT call me gay. I cannot help that your mother was.

February 8, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. kerry

Radcliffe has a point.

February 8, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. erica

The oscars suck..stoped watching them when I felt denzell should have won for malcom x....there not fair borning....and who cares about the red carpet wow....if ur movie makes alot of money :-) its ok

February 8, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. frankenstein

wow, what a dumb bunch of idiot trolls, surprised they pulled their mom's d1ck out of their face long enough to write that...probably the same person over and over.

February 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  33. billy bob

Harry iz racist

February 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancy you're a freak!

Billy bob is also, "tyree", doug, bob, cw, Mary, Nancy,Tracie, Tracey, "lol" and many others. This guy lives by his computer, and lives to make these disgusting racist, anti-gay remarks, the whole time he's pretending to be a Christian, an African American (boy or girl), and a gay guy or a lesbian. He makes these incendiary remarks, because he lives a pathetic live. And believe me, I use the "lives" very loosely. at any rate dont let this bigot get to ya. I wish CNN would moderate and block his IP address so people here could actually have meaningful, thoughtful, intelligent conversation.

February 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • billy bob

Not true, but it was a trolling to the original troll. Sorry, its a form of levity. Dont take it seriously.

February 9, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  34. billy bob

And dat some bullsheet, movies be real and white folk to blame. My great great uncle wuz a slave so im oppressed. Obama too light and i dont git paid to do nuffon.

February 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. billy bob

Dats right brotha foght racism with racism.

February 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. TYREE

And you all be gay and fugly. Fugly white peoples. So fugly you think Sarah Jessica Parker and Barbra Striesand be pretty. You some fugly peoples.

February 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  37. TYREE

You whities be so pale you scared of turning on a light bulb cause you might get sun burned.

February 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. TYREE

Buncha gay sissy whities I think. Bet yalls skin is so pale we can see yo insides. Probly never even been outside and the only hood you know about is the one you wear to your klan meetings. Plus this be the gayest movies in creation. They be so gay they nake normal white movies seem like they made on the streets.

February 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Andrea M

Of course Alan Rickman should have received a nomination, the whole thing should be in for best picture too. Where the Oscars go wrong is their policy of ignoring virtually anything that's actually entertaining. It's always poncey art house films and while sometimes those are good (Arenofski and Gilliam flicks being prime examples) for the most part they're pretentious, snooze inducing crap. If LOTR got in, Deathly Hallows sure as hell should have gotten in.

February 8, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Anomic Office Drone

I don't see it as a snub at all. No one I know left the theater saying it deserved an Oscar. Things can be good without being Oscar-worthy.

February 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ANGEL

You should be happy because if it was nominated for the Oscars , that would mean your movie was boring as all heck and not worth seeing more that one time!! Wait for Peoples choice or even MTV, then we will know you had a fun and entertaining movie that is worth seeing!!

February 8, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. rickmahal

Mike Marco...I know that Overweight Woman you are referring to......she is one of the Ly sisters...not sure if its HomeLY or ugLY...its one or the other...

February 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Winnie

The entire, "Harry Potter franchise", (not to mention the final movie), has single handidly kept the movie business afloat for quite some time now. So yes, this series does deserve recognition from the Oscars – in particular, and the entire movie industry in general!
    J.K. Rowling's books have been filling the coffers of Hollywood for many years!

February 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • nbafan

You're an idiot for thinking this franchise kept the movie industry alive. The only thing it's kept alive is Radcliffe's career which is surely done now. He his a horrible actor with a drinking problem.

February 9, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  44. rickmahal

Tyree....you know how we White Folks Do! Yea Baby..we got the Swag too..uh huh..uh huh.

February 8, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  45. rickmahal

Tyree...Yo...is clapping at a movie you like worse then seeing a Brother riding down the main Boulevard in a $400 81 Monte Carlo with a $5 grand Chartreuce over Gold pearl paint job...sitting on 24" tires and 4 grand wheels which turn in the middle when the Monte is stopped. and check this out¡...the Ultra Rap Boom Box you can hear 3 counties away? who has more swag homey?

February 8, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. TYREE

You white peoples know the actors cant hear you when you clapping at a movie screen dont you? They arent real peoples up there. You might as well be clapping at the wall or dirt. Just silly.

February 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  47. TYREE

My gramar is way good. I lerned it at school. Not from reading books like you dum white peoples. I had real teachers.

February 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Meganq

Wow. Those of you posting gay-joke comments need to knock it off. If you don't like the movie, just say so. There's no need to drag gay jokes into it. It doesn't make a point, and it just makes you look bigoted and ignorant.

February 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. In these days of anti-bullying and intolerance with gay youths committing suicide I think it's time you bigots stop using that word as a weapon or insult. Grow up and learn to accept people without labeling them as anything other than another human being.

February 9, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • thank you!

Thank you, thank you for being thoughtful; both of you are totally right. And p.s. Daniel Radcliffe works hard to prevent gay suicides, so nice try haters, but he is above you. Kthxbai

February 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. DoryR

While the movies were good and very entertaining, I'm afraid that Daniel Radcliffe's performances are rather one-dimensional compared to the caliber of performances nominated for Oscars. Top 10 of the year? I think that's pushing it. I do agree that Alan Rickman gave a virtuoso performance, but every year there are actors who "could have been" nominated and there will never be 100 per cent agreement on who the top contenders should be. Take your technical nominations and be happy with them. (Actually, I would nominate Rupert Grint before Daniel, because I think he rocked his role.

February 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amphiox

It bears repeating, again, as so many seem to fail to comprehend. Radcliffe never once implied that HE deserved an Oscar for his role. Only that the movie did, and that Rickman did.

February 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  50. tyree

You must be white. I never been to a movie where peoples clap. White peoples always up to silliness.

February 8, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone Biggums

Like they always say..Once you go white, you are out of sight!

February 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

Excuse me? How is applauding a good movie silly? Is it wrong to show appreciation for talent? Also, your grammar is very lacking, you are not using complete sentences. Why is it that a white person can't say a single thing, but everyone else can?

February 8, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jr

How many movies do you go to that audience is cheering and applauding in the theater??? VERY few and Harry Potter is 9 of them. The Oscars are not about the audience, it's about the political academy.

February 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • macphile

Huh? You know, I've never in my life seen such a reaction as the one I saw to Snakes on a Plane on opening night. Should that have gotten an Oscar? (Actually, come to think of it, hell yes. Samuel L. Jackson should get an Oscar merely for existing.)

February 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  52. doug

He is so pale he looks like a ghost. A gaaaaaay ghoooost.

February 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • nice.

I'm so glad that you're using the word gay as an insult as gay teen suicides are happening more often than ever before. Thank you very much for giving kids another critic. That was so thoughtful of you.

February 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

@ NIce – Buillying aint new quit acting like it is.Teh LGBT section want to champion it cause it gets bleeding heearsts fro their preverse cause. The rise in siuicides is not cuase of teh rise in bullying. Its due to the risse in families with two incomes who put their kids in day care or other forms of child care till they get home. Most of the time leads to parents who are absent and no longer gicve the attention needed to their children. Riduclued at school and ignored at home = Badness. That simple. Dont believe the hyperbole the LGBT community spreads.

February 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  53. tdr

Everyone knows that the Oscars are all about being PC and the "flavor of the month" causes, so nothing the "Academy" does should suprise anyone.

February 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Tracie

Shoot it in my panties!

February 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Peggy

I completely agree with Daniel and I personally feel like most of these awards are jokes. Whom do they ask? Im not asked or able to vote. I'm often mystified by the choices they make. Take the movie Black Swan, I completely hated it yet it won so many awards, I was like... REALLY? But they overlook and bypass movies that we all love and cherish. I think its all based on what they like, its not the peoples choice, so why even watch those awards. Well Daniel they may have snobbed you but look at it like this..... The Harry Potter movies are in the hearts of fans. They are a cherished collection of movies that will be watched and loved by our childrens grandchildren and on just as movies like The Wizard of Oz have. Will any of 'their' choices?

February 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

I totally agree! I believe most award shows, the major ones like the Oscar and Grammys, don't think of what the people want (which is usually some of the most popular and best-selling). The movies may not have been exactly like the books, but the actors still were brilliant and there was humor and drama and everything needed for an enjoyable movie, even the youngest actors were talented. I know good movies, my parents raised me on the classics. Harry Potter DH Part 2 should have received at least one nod for a supporting actor/actress (Helena Bonham Carter is kick butte as Bellatrix) or best visuals. But, that is the Academy for you. They go with only depressing, boring stuff that none of the next generation will watch.

February 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • NYCMovieFan

The Oscar voters are members of the film community, and after a round of nominations, they vote on what they view as the one picture to honor for particular awards for that year. There are People's Choice awards, and others where the public votes, and the results are usually different. Why? Because those who actually make films have a different perspective. Also because the Oscar voters have been exposed to a month of intense and expensive ads to win their votes. So be a grown up and learn something about how the Oscars are actually awarded. Regarding Harry Potter films – these were among the worst films every made, with terrible casts and direction. And JK Rowling said of the first one that the best thing about it was that no Americans were in it! With that degree of bias and hatred, no one should in any way support these bad films, just to fight that type of prejudice. We are so very glad that the Potter hype is over, and that films that are biased against anyone on the basis of their nationality will disappear into obilvion.

February 26, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Tracie

He needs to sit on my face and give me an Oscar.

February 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  57. nancy

It surely seemed like a gay movie to me. But then I guess HP fans just swing that way.

February 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Marco

Oh? I've been a Harry Potter fan since I was 12 years old, I get more girls than any guy you'll ever be able to pull. Harry Potter fans are something to make fun of? What are you? A female who's reading news articles about Harry Potter at 1:00pm on a weekday. I'm willing to bet your easily 75+ pounds overweight.

February 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • wowwww

Harry Potter fans are the most literate, interesting, compassionate, loving people in the world. I'm sorry you're not willing to be apart of it, but there's always room for one more.

February 10, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

@ Nancy – I'd bet a bit more than 75 lb's over.

February 27, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  58. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJZsnK2nuW0&w=640&h=390]

February 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  59. John in Ohio

Although we usually wait for things to come out on DVD, I was one of the adult "nerds" who was there @ the theatre for a midnight screening of the final Harry Potter film and was definitely not disappointed. In fact, we went again a week later to see it in 3-D. While I don't think it is the Best Picture of the year, I whole-heartedly agree that Alan Rickman should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor. His body of work over the film series was brilliant and truly breathed life into the character Rowling created. He WAS the Professor Snape as most of us Potterheads envisioned him. Let's be honest...I saw "Moneyball" and Jonah Hill's performance can't hold a candle to Rickman.

February 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda Chase

John in Ohio,
      You took the words out of my mouth! Well stated. I absolutely agree with you. Especially the part about Alan Rickma

February 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

Thank goodness someone else agrees with me. While agree that there are parts of the films that do not meet the Oscar standards; there is no way someone can tell me that Alan Rickman's portrayal of Severus Snape was not worthy of the nod.

February 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mabel

Re Rickman: Absolutely. That man is so incredibly talented. I don't think he's ever won (has he even ever been nominated). He more than deserves recognition and he's been in quite a few movies that the stuffy old Academy snobs should have liked.

It's disheartening that they snub these genres so much. There are good films with excellent stories and great acting out there. Instead they choose something like Avatar, which should have only been nominated for technical awards because the story was overused, cliched crap and the acting only marginal. Deathly Hallows 2 had a great cast besides Rickman, with a terrific story and characters that had some depth. Neville Longbottom, anyone?

February 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I agree Alan Rickman was good enough to get nominated. He was the best cast actor in the series and portrayed Snape in a way I believe no one else could have. In the movies prior to the 7th, he showed Snape and the struggles he was going through without giving away to those who had not read the book. The movie is more entertainment, and while I enjoyed it, I understand why something like this does not get recognized. Rickman, however, I think is the kind of actor the Academy looks for.

February 27, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  60. LOL

That little runny nosed british twerp thinks he deserves an Oscar. : ) LOL. Did he see the movie once it was finished? It was a zero.

February 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROFL

No you idiot...he never said that. What he did want was a little recognition for the movie as a whole.

February 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • comeon

Being nominated for an Oscar means that an actor/actress/movie/etc could potentially win an Oscar. They may not win b/c another actor/actress/movie/etc deserves it more. He thought it should be recognized i.e. nominated, which means deserving of an Oscar. HP&DH2 doesn't deserve recognition by the Academy.

February 9, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • you for real?!??!?!!!!!

for real. you are so incompetent. he is a philanthropist, poet, hard worker, and generally good guy. whilst you sit around calling people "little runny nosed british tweep?" was it? seriously. seriously? i can't really articulate my annoyance. his point is completely valid; it was spectacular, the movies completely changed lives, and its release was so anticipated. money ball was dreadful, as was hugo, so please keep your annoying remarks off of CNN. i'm so sick of this story; he was totally justified, and he didn't even complain much. he just was "miffed". people are desperate for news. thank you

February 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corrine

Actually, this great actor who had grown into a man in front of the world never once said that he deserved an award. All he said was he thought that HP Deathly Hallows 2 deserved as much recognition as the other "top 9" movies. As far as individual awards, if you actually read the article and paid attention Daniel Radcliffe said he thought Alan Rickman deserved the nomination. He never once said that he, himself should be nominated. And this British "twerp" as you called him puts to shame most American child actors who end up in rehab numerous times and jail. If he had difficulties he kept it out of the spotlight and dealt with it privately. I'm very proud of this young man and if I had a son I would hope he would choose to emulate someone like Daniel Radcliffe.

March 2, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  61. jeff

I saw it on PPV. It definitly DOES NOT deserve an oscar or any award. It wasnt an overly good movie.

February 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

Did you see Hugo?? I have never wanted two hours of my life back as bad since The Blair Witch Project. Most self indulgent movie ever.

March 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |