February 7th, 2012

Eastwood's Chrysler 'Halftime' ad not actually shot in Detroit

One of the Super Bowl’s most buzzed-about ads – a Chrysler commercial in which Clint Eastwood growls about the recovery of the Detroit auto industry – was not actually filmed in the city it hails as “fighting again.”

In fact, it was filmed in several locations, including New Orleans, Los Angeles and parts of Northern California, according to Chrysler spokeswoman Dianna Gutierrez.

Were politics buried inside Eastwood's 'Halftime' commercial?

In the two-minute advertisement, Eastwood declares that “It’s halftime, America,” and urges the country to follow in the footsteps of Detroit in rising from the recession.

“How do we come from behind? How do we come together? And how do we win?” Eastwood asks in the commercial. “Detroit is showing us it can be done, and what’s true about them is true about all of us."

All of the footage of workers toiling in the Motor City’s auto plants is authentic and was taken from a Chrysler ad that aired during the 2011 Super Bowl, Gutierrez said. She added that filming the commercial throughout the country was intentional.

“This message was about the country as a whole,” she said. “It was important to showcase that breadth.”

Post by:
Filed under: Super Bowl • television

1. Pliny

It's funny that Karl Rove (the republican verion of Joseph Gobbels) decided to mouth off against Eastwood.

Most Americans consider Rove and his republican party as worse than child-molesters.

Can't we please just get the 2012 elections over with....and vote the republicans (and their teabagging sock-puppets) out of office forever!

I'm fed up with their facist/religious/hate-the-middle-class crap. It will be nice to see them gone.

February 9, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shari

Just remember the U.S. is one party away from communism. Be careful what you wish for......

February 11, 2012 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. Oliver Dyer

I came away with the message that the US economy has and will continue to mount a comeback. A political message not hardly. However, if you are one just looking for any negative message/action to hold against the current administration,,.. I am sure you this one works for you.

O. dyer, Zacahry, LA

February 8, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. RamblinRosie

As an advertisement, I enjoyed it. As a lifelong Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep consumer, I am always glad to see my favorite vehicle line highlighted on TV. As a taxpayer, I am dismayed by the financial bailouts. As a movie buff, Clint Eastwood is an immensely talented film maker and actor. "Gran Torino" was top notch. I do not however mindlessly fall in line with Mr. Eastwoods' political leanings as I take issue with how he conducts his personal life and as a result, I would question his value system and ethics. How many kids by how many women (most of whom he never married)? He was an insatiable man who&e back in the day. But I did think it was the highest quality Super Bowl ad on display this year.

February 8, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. carrieanne

I love America but Im with 7. I drive a 1999 Toyota Camry that just turned 200,000 miles and runs like new. Sorry GM.

February 8, 2012 at 4:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. AuntSlappie -.|.-

Sokman, I agree with u.

February 8, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

Clint could make a piece of used toilet paper proud to be an American. Political or not, it was very emotional

February 7, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Capt. Obvious

Remember the George C. Scott's patriotic commercial for AMC? The Alliance was a lemon. Anyone who buys a Chrysler will be driving a Fiat. Somehow making car payments on a Fiat doesn't seem like something a patriotic American would do.

February 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. N8

He is ooooooooooooooold. 200 at least. Wasnt he married to Eddie Murphy back in the olden days.

February 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. /-+

Plus im just 14 years old ! Bet not too many 14 year olds have done all that !

February 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Booo

I love Clint Eastwood. Haven't seen the commercial yet, though.

February 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. /-+

I am also an award winning internet comedian and multi-platinum record producer.

February 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. /-+

I battled leukemia as a child ond won. Today I am a professional athlete and broadway dancer.

February 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Anomic Office Drone

I see this ad as being about patriotism and hope. If patriotism and hope make you think of President Obama, that's on you. I just saw a car commercial trying to use the love I have for my country to sell me car.

February 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • duh

I'm sure people really read your little "Anal Orifice probe"

February 8, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

LOVE magazines too. I still have my rbiscsiptuon to teen vogue and i've kept them all since i subscribed years ago!! thank you so much for your comment – we really appreciated it!hope you'll come visit us again soon!xo, camilla & valerieabutterflybyday.blogspot.com

March 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. /-+

I think he was just happy being out of the nursing home on a day trip. Hope they brought extra depends. Them old guys are bad about p-ooping their pants.

February 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

I'm sure Clint can dance circles around you........................this guy is a life time achiever.............what have you done?!

February 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • RamblinRosie

Clint Eastwood could kick your a$$ with his hands strapped to a walker.

February 8, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  15. Snarky

Man... how many packs of cigarettes did he eat before shooting this commercial?

February 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Aunt Peg

Does it really matter? Good commercial and I never gave it a thought about where it was filmed.

February 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Bob

What was the point of this article? It never stated or implied that it was filmed in Detroit. And as stated when he mentioned Detroit the footage shown was authentic.

Why is this even an story?

February 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  18. /-+

Poor guy is soo old we almost couldnt understand his garbled speach. Honestly I didnt know what the heck the old codger was mumbling about.

February 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ?

The ad made me think of clips from Nazi Germany. Seriously this gibberish was pure hollow nationalist propaganda. It's overtime in America, and McNabb is throwing groundballs left and right. I'm actually surprised Clint even jumped in on this.

February 7, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sunshine100

On several levels the Clint Eastwood ad for Chrysler was goose-pimpling, hair raising fabulous. The words he spoke should have come from every politician in the past 3 years, including the President! I think the reason people are reading more into the words is because they are politically biased. The ad was inspiring, motivating, refreshing, and had that certain pump-your-fist-in-the-air quality. This country needs more of that to replace the drivel from Congress we've been force-fed via the popular media. SUPRISE: I'm a Democrat and I vote! Bet you thought otherwise.

February 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • jujubeans

agree with you whole-heartedly, Sunshine!

February 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob the Janitor

Now if Chrysler could just build a car that had "pump-you-fist-in-the-air" quality we would have something to be proud of...

February 16, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. 7

I wouldnt drive a GM product even if it was given to me. Our money, that we actually worked for, was taken from is as taxes and given to these deadbeats to keep them from going out of busimess. Notice the cost of their cars havent gone down any. Seems like we should be getting a discount.

February 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob the Janitor

It wasn't about GM...it was about Chrysler. PAY ATTENTION!!!

February 16, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |