Chris Brown to perform at the Grammys
February 7th, 2012

Chris Brown to perform at the Grammys

Three years after the infamous pre-Grammys incident that still makes headlines, Chris Brown is returning to the Grammy Awards.

The Recording Academy has announced that Brown, 22, has joined the lineup for Sunday's awards show, along with new additions Tony Bennett and Carrie Underwood, and Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt.

According to MTV, this appearance will mark the first time Brown has been present at the ceremony since the altercation with his then-girlfriend Rihanna, the night before they were scheduled to perform at the 2009 Grammy Awards.

Although Brown has since been nominated - he received three Grammy nods last year, and has received three nods this year, as well - he's been absent from the events, MTV reports.

His ex Rihanna, however, has since attended and performed at the show. Nominated for album of the year, among other honors, Rihanna will perform at Sunday's show with Coldplay.

In addition to those performances, Alicia Keys will be joined by Bonnie Raitt in a tribute to Etta James. The legendary singer died on January 20 from complications due to leukemia. She was 73.

Raitt tells CNN in a statement, "I'm so excited to be performing with Alicia to pay tribute to Etta at this year's Grammys. What an honor to be able to celebrate my friend and her monumental legacy,  which will continue to inspire singers across genres and generations to come."

Other previously announced artists to perform Sunday include Adele; Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson; Glen Campbell with The Band Perry and Blake Shelton; Foo Fighters; Paul McCartney; Bruno Mars; Nicki Minaj; Taylor Swift; Katy Perry; and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

The Grammys, hosted by LL Cool J, kick off Sunday at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

1. barb

Seriously, it's time that comments are banned!

February 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

I'll say it.....maybe RiRi deserved to get the crap beat out of her...

February 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Slim Jim

No talent hack. Butt ugly too.

February 9, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Norma

I can't understand why a dangerous guy like this is allowed to continue experience a good life, as if nothing happened...Why in the world do they need to put this element in national TV, giving him a huge exposure... It's not because he is talented -he is not – but something else is going on behind the scenes. I have never seen a criminal given so much freedom and privileges. Who is behind this decision???

February 9, 2012 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

The one thing most objective people can agree on is that CB does have immense talent! I think either you don't appreciate his genre of music or perhaps its something a little more superficial.

Still, his crimes don't amount to what Charlie Sheen has done in his past and yet he keeps on thriving. Do you remember the gun incident and all the drugs and debaucery? I guess not. Anyway, everyone deserves and second chance at redemption. I thought that was the American way. Well, maybe for some.

February 9, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. KajinPL

You do realize the Rhianna thing was years ago, right? I think some ppl need to let it go. Just sayin'.

February 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadeYouLookAzzhole

IIF he'd served time for the physical assault OR the malicious damage to property, he'd still be inside gettin' pumped like a ho' ....Just sayin'

February 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. annebeth

Since Chris Brown will be performing at the Grammys, I will not be watching. I have better things to do such as clean my cats' litter box, rearrange shoes in my closet or brush the dog. I will not support a thug who beat his girlfriend.

February 8, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
    • @ annebeth

Sounds like you have no friends... at least if you're going to say something it should be exciting. But I guess the last time you had any "excitement" it was from your husband and only lasted 1 minute. LOL.

February 8, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris B.

The wh0re was asking for it...for real yo.

February 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AuntSlappie -.|.-

Such intelligent messages. Reminds me of what I do not want to become. America, this is what happens when inbreeding occurs. BTW, I am dissapointed @ the grammies 4 inviting chris brown.

February 8, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sokman

Chris Brown is French for "Taste the Ring Hand"

February 8, 2012 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rachel

BARF

February 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. WHY?

Thats the big question... WHY?

February 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pablo

Chris Brown is a musical talent who is also a thug. Oh, I mean he has street creds. Sorry.

February 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Art Vandolay

Q: what do you say to a Chris Brown girlfriend with 2 black eyes?
    A: nothing, she's been told twice already.

February 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Marcy

Maybe Taylor Armstrong can present him. I won't know either way being the Grammy's have lost this viewer, and I will be emailing them to let them know. I suggest everyone else who agrees do the same.

There is no room for men who beat women at the grammys. or anywhere.

February 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. whatever

Yet another reason NOT to watch the Grammys.

February 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. 7

LOL :) :)

February 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. dave

Blah, blah, conservative liberal Romney tattoes, blah, conservatives, Mormon, blah, blah, blah... You morons need to get new material.

February 7, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. dave

I agree with you Minx. Tattooes are just gross. I heard people with thim probably have @ids.

February 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  18. emily

Yeah. I wish they would get performers with real tallent. Not just these Lady GaGa wannabees.

February 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. MadCityBabe

MAJOR ICK..................why can't they have real talent at these things?!

February 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

I hope he gets killed, but at least he can dance. Like the good little monkey he is.

February 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. : ()

ALL 3 ! I RULE ! : )

February 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Mik3

And as for those puported music fans who seem to ignore the "rich history" of pop musicians who have been made out to be role models and are still searching for one... all i can say is pity.

February 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. AvoirDuPois

He beats women. He throws violent tantrums and destroys private property. He blames others for his anger and violence. He's a perverted flasher.

Oh, and he sells lots of records to children, so let's forget all that other stuff and shower the punk with awards.

February 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. K

Shame on the Grammy's, and on everyone who thinks having a domestic abuser as a role model is alright.

Glad we're teaching our kids the value of a woman's safety is not as important as a young hothead's career.

February 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Chris Brown

Does anyone else get the feeling that all of these moronic posts are being done by the same 14 year-old under several different names?

February 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Chris Brown

Just check his IP address, you'll probably find that what you said was correct. Even without checking, anyone could tell... same style of writing, same ignorance, same lack of grammar.

February 8, 2012 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  25. Excelsior

I wonder if he'll start slappin' then bishes backstage?

February 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. : ()

I really dont think there are any actual racist anymore. Just trolls trying to stir people up. To dislike someone just because they look a little different that you is just silly. And way ignorant.

February 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • k

You don't think there are racists anymore? Are you ignorant, naive, or just stupid?

February 7, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • jimmer

"To dislike someone just because they look a little different that you is just silly."

Is it ok to dislike them if they smell bad?

I

February 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jimmer

I bet he whoops Rhianna's as s backstage.

Take that biotch!

February 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ted

Yeah. Dang racist make me sick. I believe in tollerance, baby.

February 7, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ted

I heard black peoples rub d oo d oo all over themselves at KWANZA time. That ways their black santa will know where they are.

February 7, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Transcender

Go back to your klan website in that cave you call home.

February 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Transcender is an elitist left wing woman hating hypocritical PC facist

@transcender – Why are you so offended? There are evil white people, and then there are evil black people and both deserve to be mocked when they act like the stereotypes they are accused of being. Chris Brown has earned and justified every racial insult that has ever been extended to him, and I dare say you are equally bigoted for freely wielding around accusations of the KLAN when this sack of human excrement that you support. You are the bigot. You will support a poor self vicitmized black man who acts like the thug people assume black people to be, but you wont step up to the defense of women? YOU ARE THE BIGOT. Rot in hell with the resto f your left wing hypocritical pansies commie friends or just die. I prefer the latter option.

February 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • ?

Lol, who gave Anders Breivik a computer in jail?

February 7, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Transcender

Let's try this again ---

Girlfriend/wife beating has no color, no race, no ethnicity, no socio-economic strata. It also should have no tolerance -anywhere in our society. Since they've announced he will be performing, I and other domestic violence victim advocates, will not be supporting the Grammys Show by watching. I won't be surprised, however, to read the next day, another violent outburst from the new "ike Turner".

February 7, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Thank you. Why is that so hard to understand? i don't care what color he is– he represents everything I cannot support. Why can we not criticize a man of color in this society without it being about race? Race is not a shield for criticism. I don't like dogfighters, men who abuse woman, felons. I don't care if they are white, brown or purple. And, I am not going to forgive them unless they show radical change FROM THE HEART– not forced jail time, not a great career, and not just the passage of time.

February 7, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ericbrett

Well I certainly will be watching, with far more interest than before. GO, MR. BROWN!

Yes he made a mistake, just like millions of people everywhere, everyday. He paid his penance to society.

In addition, he was barely twenty years old when this incident occured. I for one am willing to give this young man another chance at becoming the man he is destined to be. It's called forgiveness folks, try it.

February 9, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  31. mia

I thank he has a puuuuuurty mooouuuth.

February 7, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  32. Debbie

Yippeee.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited now. Way to go Chris – the best.

February 7, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  33. Richard Fore

I like Chris Brown because he has a big, huge PENIS!

February 7, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  34. bubba joe

Naaaah. Thats just tobaccer juice. We soak em in it then use em for gator bait.

February 7, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  35. Transcender

Wow – the moderator for Marquee Blog today MUST BE a Chris Brown fanatic. Because I wrote against him, without using any terrible language, my posts (7 of them) are not being allowed. Why?

February 7, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  36. jamal

Why is his skin that strange color? Did somebody rub d-oo d-oo on him or something?

February 7, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  37. bubba joe

I like that rap music. When I go huntin we always chew tobaccer and listen to Ice Cube. Him and The Wu Tang Clan makei some good deer huntin music.

February 7, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  38. kp

The woman beater returns, big surprise

February 7, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  39. ?

I think all the klan members are over on the Beyonce blog right now.

February 7, 2012 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  40. KajinPL

Well, I'm sure a racist comment is on it's way. That train's never late.

February 7, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. ?

I've got a good feeling that this blog will be all about racial tolerance and forgiveness.

February 7, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • act like a stereotype, get treated like a stereotype

Why should I give an F about some over priviledged spoiled buck tooth woman beating N word?

February 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadeYouLookAzzhole

He's singing the follow up to Britney's song, "Hit Your Baby One More Time"

February 8, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  42. @9:16

This is good. He has mad tallent. Plus funny as all get out. I thousgt he was scheduled to tour with Dave Chapelle though.

February 7, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |