Nick Carter: Why I didn't go to Leslie's funeral
Nick Carter, center, with (from left) Bobbie Jean Carter, Leslie Carter, Angel Carter and Aaron Carter in 2006.
February 6th, 2012

Nick Carter: Why I didn't go to Leslie's funeral

Singer Nick Carter did not attend the funeral for his sister Leslie over the weekend, but it wasn't because he didn't desire to.

The Backstreet Boy tells CNN in a statement that his decision not to attend was more complicated than that.

“I wanted to be at my sister’s funeral, but my family has always had a complicated dynamic," Carter, 32, says. "I love my family...There are so many emotions for me surrounding the loss of my sister. I am trying to stay healthy, positive and focused.”

Leslie passed away last Tuesday at the age of 25, leaving behind, among other loved ones, a 10-month-old daughter. A police report released on Thursday revealed that she suffered an apparent overdose.

Her stepmother told police that Leslie had struggled with "a long history of mental illness" and was taking medication to treat her depression.

Nick, who has continued his tour following his sister's death, thanks "everyone for all of their compassion and support that I have received during this most difficult time."

1. Miss julie

Hey nick I hope you feel better and stay strong and healthy for all of us your fans love you

August 3, 2012 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Maria

I cannot beleive this guy didn't went to his sister's funeral the last moment in his life with her! outrageous,it not matter what kind of famiy dynamics is all baloney what a lame excuse ...it is not excuses PERIOD! money and fame kills the soul! maybe he relaly wants to be inthe news since they are not famous ...all for fame! how sad!

February 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. urdumb

why is this even news worthy? who cares about some washed up band member and his family?

February 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Val Harding

Very disrespectful not to attend. I don't care how dysfunctional the family may or may not be, he should have attended. Very narcissitic behavior by Nick, but then common personality disorder with celebrities.

February 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ben

I hear a lot about "walking in someone's shoes." Everyone has lost someone. If you have "issues" with your family, you put them aside for that one day and pay your last respects.

February 20, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. stratfordontariocanada

He's going to regret not going and saying goodbye for the rest of his life! But, it's his choice.

My condolences!

February 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dk

That's one good looking family. All of them look hot.

February 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cramit

Another C list family lacking the talent needed to succeed without selling your soul to the devil. Family dynamics wouldn't keep me from anyone I loved, screw that. He's a loser PERIOD...

February 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CKT67

I refuse to judge Nick Carter for his decision. Everyone grieves differently, and family drama during such a difficult time may have just been too much.Attending a funeral is a.personal decision. Just because he didn't go.doesn't mean he can't pay his respects in another way.

February 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carl

Another person killed by toxic prescription drugs. When are you people going to learn?

February 14, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jac

really people ! have we forgot that there is yet another motherless child in the world , an inncoent that will never know a mother's love, so does it really matter why Nick did not attend funeral have a look at the big picture people and don't judge if you don't have a clue why decissions were made

February 12, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • darkhorse

It's not Nick's fault the child is motherless. The mother made a serious and selfish mistake. The blame is ENTIRELY her own to shoulder.

February 16, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie Smith

Don't feel sorry for the child. She had a mother who was a drug addict and that is not a good thing for any child. Hopefully, she can now be raised by healthy people who do not do drugs. She is only 10 months old and will not suffer the trauma of losing her mother the way an older child would. Her mother's death may have saved her from messed up childhoold that the children of so many drug addicts must suffer through.

February 23, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CR

Seriously, do people really know what goes on in a family? His business. Not for us to judge. It doesn't mean that he isn't upset about her death, or his family dynamic. Leave him be. My condolences.

February 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WWW2012

I don't think the issue is between Nick and his sister....but with Nick and his extended family. They're toxic.

February 9, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Elizabeth

To be fair, funerals are really for the people left behind, not the person who has passed on. Nick has the right to remember and honor his sister how he wishes. None of us know what has gone on between Nick and his family members (and we really don't need to). Not attending a funeral with members of his family with whom he has a "complicated relationship" may be something that Nick needed to do. It doesn't have anything to do with how much he misses his sister and how he will remember her.

February 9, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. lildeekayjayaye

I can understand why he didnt go to the funeral. He probably didnt want to deal with his family. They probably used her death as a reason to drink more or get high!

February 7, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  16. me

yeahitisme- I couldn't agree more. But you know haters will talk.

February 7, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  17. Richard Fore

What a bunch of loosers. Whole lot of 'em should be 6 feet under.

February 7, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. ?

Man that pic is rough, it looks like an ad for another Less Than Zero movie. "People are afraid to merge..."

February 7, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. Shelly

Gee, and I thought my family was messed up.

February 7, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  20. yeahitisme.

Well I'm a huge fan of Nick Carter. What many people dont know is how his family used him for his money and how his mom and dad are pretty pathetic people. His whole family is on drugs or alcohol all the time and finally Nick became super healthy, positive person. I don't blame him for not going. Secondly, people grieve in different ways. I saw him in Philly on saturday and when asked about his sister he gets all chocked up. Don't judge someone. thank you

February 7, 2012 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Adrianna

Totally agree with you!

February 7, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Tina Fraga

Hello! I agree with you about the Nick people greive in different ways I don't like what his family did to him. the parents made him work when he was young with bsb.his parents are terrible parents.He dedicate a song for his sister Leslie.

February 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • jiggleitalilitlopen

I agree he did what was best for him.

February 8, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  21. whoknew

NONE of them look happy. Just lost looking.

February 6, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. LB

One has to do what is best for themselves during their own grief. I applaud Nick for doing what he needed to do to maintain his own health. Anyone who has any knowledge of this family will understand why. God bless the entire family as they all grieve in their own way.

February 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Sokman

Rather selfish of him I think. I translate that into "I love my paycheck more than my family".

February 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD

Do you have a family that has "family issues"? Coming from a family that has reacted in the same exact way, I know why it happens. You really have no grounds to pass judgement.

February 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. marcus

c rap you are right. it wouldnt let me post it. well sh!t a monkey : )

February 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  25. LDS II

did you know you cant type d oo d oo here anymore with the letters together. It is nazi mormon like censorship by the mitt romney supporters.

February 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. me

Here goes the nasty comments...

Remember until you have walked in a person's shoes you really don't know what goes on in their lives.

February 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • yumpy

Its a sad day when family "dynamics" are more pertinent than losing your sister. Shame on all of them...

February 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • You

Good point me. You don't know what was going on between him and his sister, so you have no right to judge.

February 8, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
    • sss

So true. Sad, such a good looking bunch. Just goes to show that money and fame don't spell happiness, health or even success. Mental health problems are rampant in this country, so many destroyed by drugs. That is being said from experience.

February 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gort01

Nothing could keep me from my sister's funeral....Man Up..

February 15, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joachim

Everyone has the right to do what they want. Nothing would keep me from a family member's funeral.

February 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kris

Inexcusable! No one is saying he had to speak to his family or even sit with them. You go and you pay respects to your sibling your SISTER! What a loser, seriously, what a loser for not going to his sister's funeral.

February 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Maybe he's bitter with them for mooching off of his success and giving him a huge guilt trip.

It messes with your head when your parents mooch off you.

February 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |