Even if you're not into the actual pigskin, you're probably nonetheless looking forward to the party that comes along with Super Bowl, so consider this week's Friday Top Five to be your warm-up.
The football film is as time-honored a tradition as the Super Bowl itself, and narrowing the playing field isn't easy. Even the less well-executed in this genre can warm the heart and lift the spirits with tales of teamwork, persistence and (eventually) triumph.
But the best football movies, in our opinion, also reflect the ugly side of that success as well, be it on the high school football field or in the pros.
Undoubtedly we're guilty of leaving off your favorite football film, so take to the comments and show us how it's done.
1. "Friday Night Lights" (2004) - So good, director Peter Berg is trying to make another one based on the NBC series that was inspired by his 2004 film.
2. "Rudy" (1993) - As Sean Astin's 1993 star turn teaches us, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
3. "The Longest Yard" (1974) - We're going with the Burt Reynolds original, not the 2005 remake with Adam Sandler.
4. "Remember the Titans" (2000) - "History is written by the winners."
5. "Brian's Song" (1971) - A TV movie release, but nonetheless one of the best football films out there.
"Any Given Sunday" (1999) - Because life is a contact sport.
"Jerry Maguire" (1996) - The sports agent is the star in this movie, but it's a classic nonetheless. Remember the days of "Show me the money!" Cuba Gooding Jr.?
"Varsity Blues" (1999) - Aside from the infamous whipped cream bikini, this take on the Teaxan football movie also included Dawson Leery James Van Der Beek and the line of the film, "I don't want your life!"
Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer, Billige Kvinder Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer Salg, Great Price, Kampe Rabat, gode anmeldelser, hoj kvalitet, sikker levering, intet salg Skat og betaling med kreditkort.
Billige Nike Free Sko http://www.vnikefree.com/
Everyone forgets "The Program".
No "North Dallas 40" . That seems wrong.
You forgot to mention ohh whats the name of that movie where the underdogs come from behind to win it all oh yeah every football ever made except friday night lights because they suck
I think honorable mention should have went to the replacements. a bunch of nobodies who got to play int he nfl for a while as a team, awesome movie
Any Top 5 Football Movie list that fails to include "North Dallas Forty" is a flawed list.
jerry maguire sucks you had me at its all trash
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 7,745 other followers