Friends, fans on 'Soul Train' legend's passing
February 1st, 2012

Friends, fans on 'Soul Train' legend's passing

As news spread that "Soul Train" legend Don Cornelius died Wednesday morning of a gunshot wound, fans and friends took to Twitter to express their grief and condolences.

The "Soul Train" host would sign off the show with the words "Wishing you love, peace and soul" and many, such as musician Rob Thomas and actor/rapper Ice Cube, honored Cornelius' memory by invoking his trademark phrase and tweeting "Peace, love and soul."

Others, such as Holly Robinson Peete, chimed in with memories of Cornelius as a friend:

Rapper Talib Kweli and ABC News' Robin Roberts shared a memory that many of us have, of watching Cornelius host the long-running hit television show "Soul Train":

Rev. Al Sharpton took to Twitter to express his grief over Cornelius' passing.

He added in a statement that he and Cornelius "maintained a friendship for the last 38 years."

The venerated producer "brought soul music and dance to the world in a way that it had never been shown. and he was a cultural game changer on a global level," Sharpton continued. "Had it not been for Don Cornelius, we would not have ever transcended from the Chitlin circuit to become mainstream cultural trendsetters."

Music industry heavyweight Quincy Jones echoed the sentiment in his statement."I am shocked and deeply saddened at the sudden passing of my friend, colleague, and business partner Don Cornelius," Jones says. "Don was a visionary pioneer and a giant in our business. Before MTV there was 'Soul Train,' that will be the great legacy of Don Cornelius. His contributions to television, music and our culture as a whole will never be matched. My heart goes out to Don's family and loved ones."

R&B legend and record exec Smokey Robinson seconded Jones' statement that Cornelius left an indelible mark on the music industry.

"I regret hearing about the loss of Don Cornelius, it's a musical tragedy," Robinson said. "He brought exposure to black talent and a positive image to young black teenagers that had never been done before with his creation of 'Soul Train.' He was a friend and we mourn his loss."

The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, has also shared her shock at Cornelius' death, saying in a statement:

“It’s just so sad, stunning and downright shocking and a huge and momentous loss to the African-American community and the world at large.  Don Cornelius single handedly brought about a melding and unity of brother and sisterhood among young adults worldwide and globally with the unforgettable creation of Soul Train.”

So as we remember Cornelius for his incredible work, we're offering up a clip of vintage "Soul Train" via YouTube, dated 1974:

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. La Giara Taipei

Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe that this web site needs a great deal more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the info!

April 4, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tcaros

He couldv'e let life take it's course and died naturally. Never understand why anyone over middle age does that.

February 3, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rob

Suicide? Worthless coward. No matter what he did in life. what a role model... whatever

February 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dewight

guess what he killed himself therefore i have no simpathy

February 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Reasco1

Don you will be truly missed, I pray that you will rest in love, peace and soul.

February 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. GaPeach

RIP! and thanks for the memories

February 2, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kathryn (Kathy) Bogale Calgary Alberta

Sad news ...he was a legend!

February 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. malsings07

The hippest trip in America! you did it Mr.Conelius you created an era of great memories. I'm so sad that you were unhappy in your life and didn't want to go on you were iconic and will not be forgotten.

February 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jennifer

I just cried,no way this has happened,but it brought back amazing memories of some of my friends especially those that are no longer here.I can see us dressed like in our hot pants and afro puffs.Mr.C you are loved.

February 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Julie

They didn't come any cooler that Don C. There will never be another one like him. Soul Train is the stuff of my childhood memories. Truly a legend and an innovator. God Bless!

February 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. citizenUSA

Sad :( I was the only white guy in my neighborhood who watched Soul Train. I actually got to be good friends with some African-Americans at school who I used to talk to about S T. A group of us even started watching it together. Great times I often remember. I know it made me a more enlightened person because I was able be diverse and was good at it.

February 2, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Margaret

My family also would be doing the saturday morning chores..then mom would put another pot of coffee on and we'd take a break for the Soul Train. you will be terribly missed Don. Rest In Peace.

February 2, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. HaakOne

I have been watching Soul Train since I was 8 in 1979 I thought he was the Coolest Mac on TV. I am saddened to hear this when I woke up. I wish the best to his family. Suicide is never the answer his problems must have been deep. Much respect to you Don Cornelius you were the my Mac of my young life. LOVE, PEACE and SOOOOOOOOOUUUUULLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2012 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. captnavenger

This broke my heart to hear today. I remember Saturday mornings, going over to my Uncle Martin's, where he would always have a brand new Matchbox car for me, still in its little box. We always got there in time for Soul Train. Man, I loved that line of dancers! It blew my little mind watching how funky and talented some of those people were!

Don's voice was so smooth. I remember thinking he was the epitome of cool. Like, so cool he was almost scary. He still seems huge in my mind, like he did when I was a kid.

February 2, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kelvin Arnold

RIP Mr. Cornelius.........Feels like I just lost that cool uncle we all have.........Soul heaven just got an announcer to introduce everyone..............So many of my childhood memories involved that show; Jackson 5, Barry White, Marvin Gaye and all of Al Green's performances.................LOVE, PEACE AND SOOOOOOOOOUUUUULLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2012 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sokman

Whatever would make a pioneer & legend such as Don Cornelius commit suicide must have been a great burden for him to bear. My sympathies to the family

February 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. FHATBOI

Rest in Peace Mr. Cornelius.

February 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sandi

Watching Soul Train and American Bandstand always left me feeling good inside, like after church on Sundays with a song in my heart, love, peace and soul. Rest in peace dear Don Cornelius.

February 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jody38

I remember my mom waking up me and my sisters up every Saturday morning to clean the house when she came home from work. At 1100, one of us we sneak upstairs and turn on the TV to see what artist was going to perform on Soul Train. Let's just say, the house didn't get cleaned for that hour. I'll miss you Don and the platform you have created will forever live in my heart. You will always be a part of my past!!!

Sleep peacefully, Mr. Cornelius and I wish you love, peace and sooooooullll!!

February 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  20. M- AZ

R.I.P...I so long for some of those good ole "soul" days we enjoyed in the music. Don and Dick brought it to us with such passion and grace; Don is an icon that will trully be missed. This one hurts.

Peace, love, and soooul!

February 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. AL

DID HE USE A COLT 45 TO BLOW HIS BRAINS OUT?

February 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lynnette Perry

RIP Don Cornelius. I was born white as an albino and my dad insisted our entire watch Soul Train every week, so we would understand what he called "the best man and the best entertainment." He crossed all religious and ethnic/skin color bariers to bring only the best entertainment out there to the masses I loved the show and....my sincere condolences to his family. He was a wonderful and talented man and the right one to do the job he did. I am sad it ended this way.

February 1, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ange

Prayers go out to the family. Much love from Chi-Town. Watched every Saturday!!
    RIP Don

February 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Name Taris Dowdell

Wow I'm shocked that Don Cornelius is gone. The trail soul train left can only be followed.The show can only be poorly imitated nothing will come close to soul train, and no host will ever match the suave and well dressed trend setter.My prayers are with Mr.Cornelius and his entire soul family. RIP

February 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TownCarWarrior

Peace, love and soul.......absolutely. Soul Train was my one exposure into R&B and I'll always thank Don Cornelius for bringing this into our world – without it I probably would have never known or realized some of the best music ever recorded/performed. Granted, the duds and the do's were way out there, but cannot fault the music at all. Rest in peace Don, you will be missed. And my prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.

Peace, love & soul............

February 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Agatha

He was one cool dude and will be missed, but why would he off himself? That's nuts.

February 1, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  27. notoriousganstaa

We'll all miss brutha Don. Too bad that he went out with a bang.

February 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. "Que"

Dear CNN, I am so honored to have had the opportunity to work with my LEGENDARY T.V. SOUL TRAIN HOST, "DON CORNELIUS" for 15yrs as a Soul Train Dancer. May Don R.I.P. My Prayers go out to his family, friends, & all who loved and supported him so dearly. Sincerely, "Que"

February 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. TK

Hippest trip in the heavens love peace and soul RIP

February 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. mignon

First RIP Mr. Cornelius. I watched Soul Train as a teenager, didn't move. What an impact on the music industry he had. You know people still do the soul train at parties, probably older people. Love, peace and Soul to Mr. Cornelius.

February 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  31. AC Summers

I remember waking up EVERY Saturday morning and watching Soul Train in my PJs, trying to do the cool moves and hit every note to every song played. Then bugging the heck out my parents to get the 45 so I could be the 1st to have it in the neighborhood.
    The DON was an icon and will be missed.

February 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MaryAnn in VA

As a teen, every saturday afternoon in the late 70's and early 80's were spent watching Soul Train. We learned the lastest dances, saw the hottest acts and fashion. Mr Cornelius was a big part of our lives. We love ya Don!

February 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Steve Paradiso

A cold bottle of pop, a bag of taco flavored Doritos, and Soul Train on the tube. "Peace, Love, Soul". Don Cornelius was the host of hosts.

February 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jon

Coolest cat on the planet. My man pots and pans.

February 1, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  35. dw

I grew up watching Soul Train. RIP Mr Cornelius....praying for your family. I'll never forget his famous sendoff... "You can bet your last money, it's gonna be a stone gas honey, wishing you all...Love, Peace and Sooooooooul ! "

February 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Kevin

What a way to kick off Black History Month... Godspeed to you, Mr. Cornelius

February 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yuan

I would Like to say that Mrs. Pat I really enjoy your uinuqe style of dancing and that in those days which is also my day. were real dancing,smooth,cool and so real. And some of those dance that was out were hard to catch on to but one thing about it everyone spent most of their spare time either after school or after work trying to learn them so they could be ready for the following weekend. You put a twist onsome of them WOW!!! even today watching rerun shows you wondering how did Pat do those things. So thank you for the memories and your friends. May God smile on you and your family. You rock. Shoot I wish you were my facebook frend again Thank.

March 14, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  37. MARIA

R.I.P, YOU WILL BE MISSED. THANKS FOR THE GREAT TUNES.

February 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kim K.Moore

Every Saturday morning my big sister (may she rest in peace),would dress up like The Lockers and try to dance like them while Soul Train was on.We loved Damita Jo Freeman the very best ST dancer of all times.We miss you Don.

February 1, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Loren

This is truly sad. As a white boy growing up in Chicago, I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching Soul Train. While it seemed like an alien culture at times, the music was great, and Mr. Cornelius' contributions to music should not be forgotten. Rest in peace, sir, you were appreciated.

February 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. @ Richard Foreskin

Dogs love peanut butter. I have a Pit Bull named Bullet and an English Bull Terrier named Chico(Spuds Mckenzie) It would be my pleasure to let them lick your sacks.

February 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mausfink

When my 6 month old daughter heard the Soul Train music played at the start of the show she would crawl into the living room (at a fast pace!) and settle down to watch the show on the carpeting in front of the television. I have pictures of it somewhere. She is now 32 years old. I'm sorry to hear he's gone. RIP, Don. Thanks for the music.

February 1, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  42. GailS

Every Saturday morning I would watch Soul Train when I was a teenager. My chores would not get done until I watched Don. Back in the day, he was the man and you knew you had "made it" one you went on Soul Train. RIP—you deserve it!

February 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. freddy

who in the world kills themselfs at age 75? He lived a full life. He must not have been a spiritual man to take the easy way out. I know not everyone here believes in God. I do know that those that do know, you don't get to heaven riding on the end of a bullet to your head. You have to think about your family and people that love you before you do something like this. They have to live with feeling helpless and thinking they could of done something to stop it. I understand about suffering tho. but to shoot yourself is not a way to be remembered for your lifes work. God bless his family and loved ones. I wish he could of gotten some help.

February 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • roel

Pat Davis is one of the most creative dnarecs that i have ever seen. She came into our living rooms every saturday with the most exciting dance routines and the best style in dress at that time. I always wondered what happened to Miss Davis and now the world knows and i am so proud and happy about her many accomplishments. I cant even express the (LOVE) that her many fans feel for this very talented lady. I really hope that there are articles on more of our favorite dnarecs like Lisa Jones, Fawn Q, Derrick B, Sharon H, James P, Vicki A, Wanda F, Eddie C and so many others. Thank You so much for this article on Pat (Butterfly) Davis!!!

March 14, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • gnkxkolaof

KRYE6t tathpllhargw

March 14, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. The Real James Jones

Don Cornelius, there will nvr be another. Thank you for exuding class and swag. A visionary, a statesman, a gentleman, a friend to mankind. You will be missed...

February 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Geech

Wow- it seems like just yesterday I was watching on ST on Saturdays- The stroll, the bands, the sheer joy of great tunes and times. Mr. C- you made the world a much better place with your show. God bless and Rest in Peace.

February 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Sunny Murchison

Beloved Brother Don Cornelius, R. I. P. We loved your Saturday morning legacy!

February 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. RIP DON

There are white families who enjoyed the soul train every saturday too! we feel Don was a classy guy and showed us how much he loved the kids on the show black or white!....... we love the music, the guests and everything about the show. you will always have ssssssssoooooooooouuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllll in our eyes. RIP Don.

February 1, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. HYH

THANK YOU Don Cornelius for bringing Peace, love and Soooooooul to the world. Such a huge part of growing up. Quality time with my mother on Saturday mornings. A truly, class act of a man who broke down barriers without people even realizing he was doing it. Now THAT's real class, and real soul.
    RIP Soul Man! May we always honor you and your memory.

February 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Glenc

RIP! I loved Soul Train! It introduced me to a whole new world of music (not just by father's Hee Haw sound track).

February 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  50. marie merriman

RIP DON – I WATCH SOUL EVERYDAY ON THE BOUNCE CHANNEL- SO HURU BY THE MANNER OF HIS PASSING-LOVE PEACE & SOUL MY BROTHER & M PRAYERS 2 THE FAMILY

February 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  51. will

grew up watching soul train, don changed the world and the black communtiy, rip don you will be missed
    love ,peace and soul

February 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Sean

If we are going to pray, shouldn’t we pray the all powerful goes back in time to save Don?

February 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Sean

If that was possible I would've prayed your parents used protection.

February 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

First off I want to say RIP Don. I used to watch Soul Train back in the day and even remembered the funny episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air where Uncle Phil was on the show... good stuff.

Second of all... Sean... I'm guessing you're one of those people who decide to just come down on everyone's parade just because they said they would pray for the families and whatnot. Just because you don't believe there is a God doesn't mean you should make such ignorant statements in response. People can pray for whatever they want. It's not your place to tell people what to do... if they want to send their condolences is that really a crime? Or did you just want to bring out your personal agenda on an article that has nothing to do with your squabble?

February 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  53. stoptheh8te

Wow! Very sad news, especially if his death was suicide as reported. As many of you I too grew up watching to Soul Train. Soul Train gave many artist the exposure needed for them to succeed. You left a legacy that will not soon be forgotten. RIP

February 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  54. chico

whoever is on line to collect their inheritance is the one who killed him...he wasn't a weak man

February 1, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  55. azdon

I am so heartbroken over this – Don exposed me to music that I wouldn't otherwise have heard, growing up in an all-white suburb in the '70s. He was a giant among men, and he always struck me as a friendly guy that would be fun to sit and talk with for hours. I pray that the Lord provides comfort to his loved ones, friends and fans.

February 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Joseph

His influence has cut across all age, race, gender and even countries. he will be surely missed

February 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Lesa

Don Cornelius, A legend indeed, he paved the way for black television shows. May your work speek for you. I grew up watching Soul Train and still watch it to this day. Ride your train to glory R.I.P.

February 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. hutch

You never know what's going on with someone unless you walk in their shoes. I hate that his life ended this way but I can't judge that. Only God can. But what I do know is that every Saturday throughout the seventies, my Pop, Mom, brother and sister would gather around the TV and watch all of the great performers and dance up a storm. And yes... we did the Soul Train line sometimes. I thank Don because he brought us an escape through some turbulent times. He gave us a reason to be happy and a time to bond. That's what I do know. RIP Brother Don.

February 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Alex

If only more white guys watched this show maybe they would've known/would know how to dance. Don Cornelius was an icon, as is Dick Clark, of "American Bandstand" (before MTV AND Soul Train).

February 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Debra

He must have been in great amount of some kind of pain to do this to himself. I can't imagine what it must be like to feel so desperate that shooting yourself in the head is the only way...I feel so bad for Don. I hope he can find some peace now from his demons. Bless his family and friends who are trying to understand why...

February 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jasmine

Debra, I wholeheartedly agree with you. This man touched lives all over the world and for his fortune and fame to come to an end by taking his precious life. So sad, so sad. My heart truly does go out to his family. What was going on Don that you had to take the ultimate God given gift "your beautiful life"? Oh well, it may come as a surprise to the world of his apparent suicide however nothing is a surprise to God.

February 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Smack-it-up-Flip-it-Rub-it-down

RIP, my brotha... It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday........

February 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  62. lakitta

Rip Mr. Don I grew up on Soul Train and will never forget your Love Peace and Souuuuuul

February 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Superhiro

RIP Don. Love, peace and soul.

February 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Moderate Richard Fore

CNN, help the economy and hire some MODERATORS, please. This is ridiculous.

Back to the subject, I used to get my hair braided on Saturdays as a child. Watching Soul Train was my saving grace throughout this long, painful ordeal. Rest in Peace Mr. Cornelius!

February 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Geezer

Although I was a white guy, I was a fan and part of me wanted to be Don–smooth, mellow, confident, warm yet cool. One of those good guys who helped bridge the cultural divide that we're still dealing with today. RIP.

February 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  66. lame

coward

February 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Ron Brown

You will be missed so much. Sorry that it had to happen this way, God be with you.(love peace and soul......

February 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. maria

There will NEVER be another like Don. So sad. BUT..I am glad we mere mortals had him and his expert showmanship
    and CLASS AND DIGNITY for as long as we did. HE will be missed greatly. R.I.P

February 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  69. BradKT

Wow! This is some very sad and surprising news. I was really stunned to hear this.

My brother is a successful professional photographer in Hollywood today and Don Cornelius was one of the few people who gave him an early big break in Hollywood. He worked on Soul Train early in his career in the 1970s. Don Cornelius didn't have to give him that chance, but he did. It was a case of his remembering where he came from and helping a young aspiring Black artist after he had become successful.

I don't know what drove Don Cornelius to suicide but I can't help but think that he deserved a better end than that.

My condolences to his family, friends and fans.

February 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Sterling

Thanks Mr. Cornelius for having the guts to support blacks in the music world you made a mark!!! GOD BLESS! LOVE PEACE AND SOUL

February 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Bev

RIP DON YOU WILL BE MISSED.

February 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Davinia

In remembering, I couldn't wait to tune into Soul Train to see the fashions, but mostly what the next dance craze was going to be on the dance line up such as: the robot, the pequin, and the lock to name a few. RIP. My condolences to the family.

February 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  73. NKBL

Great show, classic! RIP, Don.

February 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Ted

Don Cornelius was pure class. He was the essence of smooth. He is remembered fondly and will always be missed. Hope he is having a party up in Heaven.

February 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Steven Gaynor

I loved to watch Soul Train. It gave me the chance to see lots of great entertainers and songs. My symapthy goes out to Don's family and friends.

February 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  76. dave

to kill yourself means you give up waist

February 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Gregory francis

Not only centric,but bounce tv which is on cable and digital over the air tv shows soul train every day,saw one show this morning with al green denise lasalle and the whispers from the early 70s don was a genious,euen those artists who only one song to their name he gave them exposure,i know stevie wonder is heartbroken,he did severak shows himself and wrote a tune for the show as did james brown with think73,i wish don in his memory love,peace and soul.

February 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Tee

We wish you love, peace and soooul! The impact of Soul Train is so huge it is felt today. It was what everybody did on Saturday mornings, watch Soul Train and see some great artist that didn't have anyplace else to be seen on TV. RIP, Don and thanks for being a maverick!

February 1, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. doug

Richard fore u sick mentally deranged perve u have no bussiness commenting on this site for that matter u have no bussiness being n front of any keyboard do us all a favor & check yuorself back n2 the nut-house u escaped from

February 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. avonaz

Don Cornelius: Thanks for the memories!

February 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  81. cward

R.I.P. Don Cornelius! Love, Peace,& Soooul!!!

February 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  82. OrangeLady

Condolences to the Cornelius family. R.I.P. Don, it was a beautiful ride. Thanks for the memories..

February 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Mike Green

I feel very bad abouit his death. I once heard someone say that America is the only place where a person can be a millionaire and be depressed and unhappy. There is a sad truth to that.

RIP Don,

Mike

February 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  84. andria

My prayers and condolences go out to his family and those who loved and respected him. I just lost someone very dear a week ago to suicide! It's so painful.

February 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  85. LBoogy

Rest in peace Don,hope u restart the show in heaven

February 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Billy(boy)Kekawa

WDH!! I so grow up with Soul Train & Don's energy of immence talent. My sisters, & brothers would move to the music every time we watched his show every week. We'd dance in the streets,at the beach in school almost any place when the show was mentioned any whweres in Waimanalo, Hawaii!! YOu, Mr. Cornelius, will always live in my mind forever and I thank you very much Sir, for the good time & inspirational motivation you've given me through your most gifted talent and love for music. May you enjoy your ride on your Soul Train to that musical place in heaven. You will be missed so much in Hawaii. Aloha Pumehana man...Billy~Boy

February 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Michael pate

Loved watching soul train growing up..hope and pray your soul be at paece through Jesus Christ our lord and savoir.

February 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jim R

Prayers go out to the family, especially John his brothers & sister Rose whom I've lost touch with over the years but is still a great friend.

February 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Kris

I watched Soul Train when growing up and loved it-so many huge artists were on there and I get a kick out of seeing the audience in their 70s attire. I think at one time there were re-runs on BET that I watched a while back. What a great show that will live on.

February 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  90. DC MixMstr

It's very rare that a TV program or series can reach across so many years and generations. People from their middle 70's back to the teenagers can relate to and share memories of Soul Train. MANY music artists can thank Don Cornelius for giving them the exposure they needed to jump start their careers in music. I'm saddened that he felt it necessary to end his own life but his legacy will live for decades in the harts and minds of everyone. Black, White, Latino, Asian all have been touched, influenced, and partied with the man with the HUGE afro and the suit on Saturday mornings.

Thank you Don Cornelius and one final time, we your fans wish you....LOVE....PEACE....and SOUL!!

Rest In Peace my Brother.

February 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  91. zzubzzub

So sad to read that he resorted to taking his own life. I wonder what was going on in his life. I loved Soul Train. The show brightened my spirit!

February 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  92. c-ho

RIP Mr Cornelius. Growing up in white suburbia I was tuned in to ST never AB. You were the King.

February 1, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  93. Cherrterri

(Reprinted from main page)
    I grew up in the inner city of Chicago and didn't know there were any other radio stations other than WVON, I loved the Ohio Players and once called to request a song when Don was still doing his show on air. LOL I asked him if it were okay if I were white. He chucked and said if it was what I wanted hear then it was okay. (I think i was about 11 at the time) He said it didn't matter what color I was (in that awesome deep voice of his) that music had the power to make everyone the same color. In that short conversation, he confirmed what i believed even then, color just didn't matter. :) I watch Soul Train religiously every Saturday. The man was pure class. He inspired me. Rest in Peace, Don.

February 1, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  94. Richard Fore

I started putting peanut butter on my balls & then have the neighbors dog lick it off, he likes Skippy Extra Chunky the best.

February 1, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  95. My Opinion

It's really sad when people see their only way out of problems is to take their own life. It's really unfair to those who are left behind to mourn their loss. I hate that Don was feeling so desperate and couldn't find another way out. I pray for him and his family. I remember watching his show for many years growing up and I was proud to see the accomplishments of a black man mainstream television. RIP.

February 1, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • T.rex

No, its unfair of YOU to place your own expectations upon another individual with that they should do with their life. He accomplished tons. Are you saying he is obligated to creep into old age against his will so that you don't have to mourn him?

February 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Saying

I agree with you My Opinion–it is a sad way to go out and leave love ones behind wondering why.

February 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Miss Billie

RIP in my brother, you will be missed.

February 1, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  97. dino harris

My prayers go out to the family on this day of sadness Don you are going to be missed not only from your immeadiate family but from your fan based family, friends, and the entertainment business. You were and innovator,trailblazer in the field of entertainment and above all a wonderful human being that God sent to us. I have been blessed too have known you. RIP your friend Dino.

February 1, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  98. JUNJUN

I DIDNT THINK IT WAS TRUE WHEN I HEARD ABOUT IT. You cannot believe stuff like this when you hear it especially from someone who paved the way for so many others with talent. He was a pioneer in an industry that did not have any pioneer when he first started. He made a mark in the living rooms of so many, MAY HE REST in peace.

February 1, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  99. Richard T.

We will miss a very special man..... He was way ahead of his time...... TV One, BET or someone needs to set aside a weekend or however long it takes and pay tribute to this great man by airing every Soul Train episode from 1971 thru 2006 in a marathon format.... It would also show the younger generations where their music came from..... Come on someone in the industry, I know you have the tapes in storage so lets get it on the air ASAP!!!!

February 1, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Troy Everett

You hit it Richard! Centric, TV One, somebody. Pay homage. It's time to collect!

February 1, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • SoSoulful

FYI – If you have the station Centric, they show episodes of Soul Train and have been doing so since 2009 (I believe). They have also done an hour long special about Soul Train that they did back in 2010.

February 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyrone

Richard

I have too agree...and I'm sure that there will be some kind of homage for this great man, who put many black aritist into our homes....REST IN PEACE>>>WE WILL MISS U

February 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Edward Wilkins

This sucks.

I watched Don on Soul Train growing up and it was a weekly source of inspiration for this kid growing up. I always felt like there was a place for me on the dance floor even if I couldn't dance. I could always dress up in an outfit like that one dude every week on there.

He didn't dance, and didn't care, he had fun with others enjoying themselves.

Unscramble this in heaven Mr. Cornelius:

ew lilw ayalws sims uoy! P.R.I.

February 1, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

He took his butt down the soul train line once to Fred Wesley & the JB's, "Doin it to Death".

/watch?v=lJ5iuWotw3M

February 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  101. ?

Dayum shame. Thought he'd passed of old age when I saw the headline. Spark one for The Don.

February 1, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  102. Steve

You can bet your last money, it's all gonna be a stone gas honey!
    He was an original.

February 1, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  103. Angela

So sad to learn of this. As teens, we watched Soul Train for many, many years along with Bandstand and Lloyd Thaxton. So many memories ago. Thanks, Don, for the good times.

February 1, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  104. ?mylove

Rest In Peace. I loved growing up watching Soul Train! You were a great business man and will be missed by many. Now Im wishing you Love, Peace and Soul.

February 1, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  105. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The best way to honor Don Cornelius of Soul Train is to seek help if you or someone you know is struggling. If you’re feeling lost, desperate, or alone- please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The call is free and confidential, and crisis workers are available 24/7 to assist you. To learn more about the Lifeline, visit http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

February 1, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Miss Billie

Thanks for posting this. So many don't know and so many need help. RIP my brother.

February 1, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron De Lano

Bless you and your work. How can I go about making a donation in Don's name?
      Thanx...

February 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

Good information to have on hand. While each of us has every right to suicide, no one should feel that it is the only answer to one's problems.

February 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rainey

Thanks for positing what may become a life saving phone # to many who will use it.
      Sad about Don, but we do know as one ages and the health issues begin, sometimes people can't handle it. It is what it is, hopefully his soul is at peace.
      I watched his show on occasion, like Dick Clark's show, it was all about the kids having a really great time dancing......Don gave them great memories.
      If only WE could have those days back, we all felt safe, secure, protected in our very own USA....the little things in life made kids happy back then...
      Thanks Don.......rest in peace.....

February 2, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  106. Benn

You will be missed. Thanks for the hope and happiness you brought to many.

February 1, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron De Lano

Amen to that! Everyone enjoyed Soul Train – Black, White, and in between. I have said a prayer for Don asking forgiveness for him.

February 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |