Shirley MacLaine joins 'Downton Abbey'
January 31st, 2012

Shirley MacLaine joins 'Downton Abbey'

The second season of "Downton Abbey" hasn't yet wrapped up in the States, but we're already setting our sights on season 3. The fan and critic fave is expanding its cast next season with Oscar winner Shirley MacLaine.

MacLaine will appear in the series as a new character, Martha Levinson, who's the mother of Lady Grantham, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Creator Julian Fellowes has "written another brilliant character in Martha Levinson, who will be a wonderful combatant for Maggie Smith's Dowager Countess," promises executive producer Gareth Neame. "We are excited at the prospect of MacLaine playing her."

The Daily Beast reports that the second season of "Downton Abbey" will wrap up Stateside on PBS February 19, with the third season arriving in the U.S. early next year after bowing first in the U.K. this fall.

Filed under: television

1. FFCC Raices de Bolivia

I'm not certain the place you are getting your info, but great topic. I must spend some time studying much more or working out more. Thanks for excellent info I was searching for this info for my mission.

August 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Larry II

Just finished watching season 1 and 2 of Downton Abbey. Great history of the times mimmicked by US history of the same period. Great costumes and acting. BBC is a class act. Looking forward to Shirley McClaines character in season 3.

August 1, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anne R

Downton Abbey is one of the best things to come to television in a long time. I watch everything from Real Housewives to Chopped to House... but this show, with its rich character development, scenery, etc... just blows me away. I'm addicted! Can't wait to see Shirley MacLaine, and am especially happy to know there will be a Season 3!

February 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marin

I can only assume that Martha and Violet will not get along and exchange some hilarious barbs.

February 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Remy

We have Direct TV, so there's like more than a hundred channels to choose from, but I like watching shows on PBS, especially Downton Abbey. I also watch cartoons with my granddaughter and CNN for news. Anyone who does not like the shows (like Downton Abbey) on PBS should just change their channel.

February 1, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

PBS is alright. I saw my first set of tv b00bs on PBS. It was a black & white picture of a half naked woman on Monty Python's Flying Circus.

January 31, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Billy Rae

What is a thinks? Id gogle it but my computer is broke.

January 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. alison

You talk funny. Are you speaking in mexikin or chineese?

January 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. England For Ever

Are these comments supposed to be funny, or do you really believe what you are saying???? Downton Abbey is a very good period drama, something we Brits do very well. Of course, it could have something to do with the fact, that we do actually have a long and complex history to look back on....

It certainly beats most of the crud that is sent back over from the good old USA to our TV channels.

January 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • alex

They are trolling. Google it. Something we Americans do best, I'm not too proud to say.

February 1, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. emily

I agree with you Larry. All PBS fans are either nazis or lesbeans.

January 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nate Gordon

Scientific data show that most PBS viewers are nazis.

January 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Punjabb Ravneesh

I am from India. Great Britain and PBS are opressors and colonizers. They have ruined our fine country. Elephants and children once ran free. Now we must act civilized and listen to classical music. Stop the opressors. Stop PBS, BBC, and other opressive organizations.

January 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Melissa

I agree with you fine gentlemen. Anyone that watches PBS is either an old maid or is part of the lavender coalition.

January 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Trucker Jim

I hear ya on that pardner.Thats a big 10-4. PBS is for s issyfied dandies.

January 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jeff

Nobody likes limeys and the opera crowd. I bet you say pip pip and cheerio and wear a bow tie. And probably use a finger bowl.

January 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jeff

Naaaaaaah. . . . . you are all just d oofuses. I bet you dress up for dinner and eat with your pinky sticking out. Dang limeys.

January 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Colette

Love Downton Abbey, love PBS.!! feel sorry for neanderthols like Jeff he must have such a sad life watching the likes of Jersey Shore, Mob Wives, and the gaggle of "Real"Housewives.

January 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mrskool

I'm thrilled that PBS is continuing this series – i love it ! :)

January 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Joy

Never thought of myself as pompous or an @hole...just like being entertained for a bit by real actors
    and Jersey Shore doesn't work for me...

January 31, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sacassia

@jeff call me a "poompous @hole" because I love PBS and the programs it puts together. Downton Abbey is for people who love the classic atmosphere of Jane Austin, Charlotte Bronte or just like good character development.

January 31, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
    • race2three

I agree Sacassia!! I love Austen, both Bronte sisters...and I've been a fan of Masterpiece Theater since I was a kid. I have to wonder about Jeff's sincerity though...if he dislikes this type of drama as much as he says...I have to wonder how he found his way to this blog in the first place.

February 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. woland

much rather be intellectually pompous than a blithering knee jerk anti-intellectual idiot.

January 31, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  22. woland

tis called a series as in series one, series two, series three...

January 31, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jim Colyer

Shirley MacLaine is flaky as hell.

January 31, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  24. Anne

I must be a "pompous @hole" then, because I am hooked on Downton Abbey and am ecstatic that there will be a third season. PBS is for people who live beyond "The Simpsons" and "How I Met Your Mother."

January 31, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Allymax

Could be brilliant casting. After all, Maclain's daughter's money cinched the deal for marriage to the Lord and kept the estate running. And if Machlain's character – Martha Levinson – turns out to be Jewish, then as WWII approaches, it would make for interesting subplots. Whether Maclain is American or not shouldn't matter – the series boasts fine actors, and she happens to be a real trooper. I

January 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. jeff

PBS and this show is just for poompous @holes.

January 31, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Geez. lighter up, it's just a TV show. Not everyone shares your worldview, thank God.

January 31, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • alex

Please tell me you've at least watched one episode before you wrote that, or else you seem like a very uninformed idiot.

February 1, 2012 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Carolyn

... yes and no doubt have a larger vocabulary than you. You DO know that we liberated ourselves from England, don't you? Okay, you now can go back to Jerry Springer.

February 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |