Madonna talks Super Bowl nerves
January 31st, 2012

Madonna talks Super Bowl nerves

The countdown to Madonna's hyped Super Bowl performance is on, and the singer admits that she's feeling some nerves.

"It's the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever done," Madge told Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" Monday. "The Super Bowl is the holy of holies. It's like the sacred show of America. And I have to go on in the middle of that holy of holies and put on the greatest show that was ever put on before. That's no pressure."

On top of not really getting a lot of rehearsal time - "they're playing football all day so I don't really have time to do a sound check. It's a little bit like a circus act: Get in there, roll out my carpet, put on my show and get the eff off," she joked - there's also the fact that the Super Bowl halftime isn't the place to exercise a lot of artistic license.

For one thing, there will be "no nipples" in her show, she assured Leno, referencing Janet Jackson's infamous wardrobe breakdown. Not that she was going to do that, anyway: "I don't like to repeat myself...or do what other people have done before me."

But before her Super Bowl show, the video for Madonna's new single "Gimme All Your Lovin'" from her upcoming album, "MDNA," will preview on Thursday's "American Idol."

On her cryptic album title, Madonna tells Leno that it's a "triple entendre," with one interpretation being an abbreviated way of saying her name, and another standing for "the DNA of M."

As for the third, "Let me break it down for you," she said. "You've heard of this drug that produces euphoric feelings of love, MDMA?...Just listen to my record."

Filed under: Celebrities • Madonna • Music

1. Vangala

that life as Madonna's (or any celebrity's) child would be "betetr"? What makes for a betetr life? Does having your every desire gratified but being reared by a nanny mean that you are automatically happier? I somehow don't think so. I think a lot of people have this image of Africa as this godforsaken, benighted place that only breeds starvation and disease. There is a complete disregard for the vibrance of African cultures–much as there was during the slave trade. And Sista, I think you've got it backward. Madonna cares VERY MUCH what we think of her. It's why she lives her life in the spotlight. She wants to get rich. And she still hasn't learned that money and fame are not guarantees for a "betetr" life. Contentment is independant of wealth and celebrity.

August 14, 2012 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Join Scentsy Florida Sell Scentsy Canada Sell Scentsy Germany Become a Scentsy Consultant Puerto Rico Sell Scentsy Online Sell Scentsy Candles Online Sell Candle from Home Sell Candles Online Start a Candle Business Online Work from Home Business Ideas fo

I came upon this site by mistake, but was compelled to read this post! I'll be back! Thanks!

April 18, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Shilpa

So hfeplul and so useful post Press Clippings . Thanks for such informative post. Good job.

February 13, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  4. John Dog

What a waste, these super bowl half times get worse and worse very year. Go back to the half time "kick a field goal for $500M", have a few commercials, summarize the first half and go on with the game. Does anyone actually watch the whole show, I try every year and make it no more than a few minutes. The best thing that ever happened was the wardrobe malfunction....and that was a barrell full of suck.

February 6, 2012 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. @everyone

MADONNA still rocks. ...the rest of you....Get a Life!

February 2, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  6. RLONG

The Super Bowel (spelling IS correct) died years ago, along with Professional Football. Johnny Unitas was once asked if he was sadened by the Colts leaving Baltimore (in the middle of the night), and he said, ..."it's a franchise, and I don't cry over franchises." It's all just big business and entertainment, now. The home town bleachers, the fans, rivalries, etc., don't matter, anymore. It seems each time the quarterback does a play fake, the stock market jumps. It's hard to believe this game, or rather, this event, use to be played by players wearing jerseys with no numbers, no names, no huddle, no passing, ( sorry, Mr. Brady, Tebow has you on this one), no cheerleaders, no referees, no most valueble players, no contracts, no gatorade, no sideline doctors, no 10 yard first downs, and NO instant replay, no TV, no photographers, no steroids, no meth., no cocaine, no performance inhancement drugs, no astroturf, no grass, etc., etc., etc., ........
    You betcha', When I think of football, MADONNA, immediately comes to mind. So, don't be nervous Ms. Madonna ( is there a last name) , you will not be entertaining at the Super Bowl, but instead, the Generic Bowl. I'm sorry I will not be watching, but instead, I'll be tuned in to an all day marathon of, "The Andy Griffith Show", "The Twilight Zone", or "Ancient Aliens". I haven't decided. That's when the TV networks start these marathons going, then they all go watch the game, ...I'm sorry...the show. It's not a game anymore.

February 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sandy

my dear folks, Madonna never ever tried to copy anyone. As a matter of fact many of those talantless felmales out there are so jealous of her ,they can't breathe. they'll never come close to madonnas talent. you all know who I'm referring to. I'm sure she'll give a great performance at the Super Bowl.. THANKS FOR LETTING ME HAVE MY SAY,COMMENTS ARE WELCOME. i'M A 67 YEAR OLD WOMAN,& STILL LOVE TO SEE MADONNA!

February 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret

Madonna can't sing. end of story.

February 2, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • c

i agree with most she is not a good vocalist at all.

February 2, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • LADY GAGA ANYTIME...

I'D RATHER SEE GAGA ANYTIME-HOLIDAY, CELEBRATE IT WOULD BE SO NICE...VERY CREATIVE WRITING.

February 2, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • SPARE US.

she will probably do something trashy and then next morning will have the british accent again.

February 2, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. NVA Kathy

she's had some work done, I can tell. botox, something, but good for you Madonna!

February 1, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. M

her voices tends to crack when she's nervous..lets see what happens

February 1, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Anky

So what if she goes around the rules and buys him? She can cnetairly give him a much better life with a whole hell of a lot better opportunity than he'll get in that village.Being a celebrity and having money presents more advantages. From adoption to waiting in line...it's good to be a celebrity.

August 14, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  10. Remy

I wonder what Phil's gonna see or not tomorrow.

February 1, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Meter

Focus people.....Madonna is a great performer....has a great work ethic, a real business woman! She will put on a killer show! (and for the record: Of course Lady Ga Ga copied Madonna!!! ) Don't post if you don't know what you're talking about....it's embarrassing!

February 1, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sokman

Remember when she was younger & thought she had the holy of holie's?

January 31, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey

Let's see if the FCC will fine her like they did Janet Jackson.

January 31, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ?

Never mind. If she ever compares her filthy screeching to MDMA again I'll do what Elton isn't man enough to do and plant my foot into that quicksand patch she calls a crotch.

January 31, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ?

I hope she flashes us a glimpse of those sweet octogenarian n¡ps.

January 31, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. @LAB

Yea.. I bet it's tatt of tweety bird u f@g a55

January 31, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. @3:08

And u would the the type to stick a carrot up ur pu55y n a55 at the same time u desperate piece of sh!t

January 31, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dana Lee

Look at that hair and that dress,did ZsaZsa's husband have a yard sale?

January 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Moody Blues

@Dana Lee Madonna does look like a middle aged ZsaZsa Gabor in this pic,and to think that long,long ago in a galaxy far,far away she was cool,NOTLol.

February 1, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. Booo

I have tattoos, a master's degree, and a great job. I'm also female so I can't be a "sissy." ignorant trash? I think not. Wrong answer, try again.

January 31, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LAB

Me to alison

January 31, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. alison

She is just a Lady GaGa immitator.

January 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbiewilliams

Really???? Like when I look at Gaga, all that I can think of is......Ga's not original in the least of ways, look who she copied. She's the modern-day version of Madonna. Come on people, you KNOW Madge will rock that stage. Always has.

January 31, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

Lady Gaga is immitating Madonna. Madonna has been around alot longer than Gaga.

January 31, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Snarky

Madonna's a singer? I always thought she was just a wh0re.

January 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. alison

You just wish I was a guy.

January 31, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MadCityBabe

I like Madonna, but she's the kind of performer that would make a booking agent nervous........just dont do anything out of line.............this is not the venue for that.................you have your videos to do all the nasty you want.

January 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Climp Jones

I wonder how much she & her backers paid for her SuperBowl spot?

January 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Melanie

I agree with Alison. Tattoed people are all either insecure sissies or just ignorant trash.

January 31, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Big Hoss

Harley riders and tattooed people are all closet sissies. Poor dumb losers wanting attention.

January 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sadie Mae

Craig sure sounds like a gay name. Maybe you have tattoos to make you feel more manly. To make up for parts you are kind of insecure about.

January 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Sadie Mae

What's gay is a guy trying to pose as a woman, which is what you've been doing here as alison and now as Sadie Mae. Sorry... GAY(GAME) OVER.

January 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  29. alison

I bet 10 thousand dollars she stinks the place up and acts immoral. I am sure she will do something n asty or t rashy. She has tattoos you know. Thats just the way tattooed people are.

January 31, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louie

I agree. There is nothing demure about her. She's going to pull something. That's just her way.

January 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Wow, people really are so very ignorant. Fact: Madonna has ZERO tattoos, she has stated many times throughout her career that she has no desire to ever mark up her body in such a way.

Fact: Your broad and ignorant assumption of how people with tattoos behave truly shows your level (or lack thereof) maturity and intelligence.

Jason put it perfect...love or hate Madonna, no one can deny that this woman can truly put on a mindblowing performance.

January 31, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ Craig

Don't get too offended by "alison" if that's even "her" name. Usually you can tell the legit comments from the silly trolling comments by the level of intelligence.

If people think she's going to do anything crazy, I'm sure it doesn't beat the Janet Jackson mishap... of course if Justin Timberlake performs 4 Minutes with Madonna... history might just repeat itself.

January 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

I am a female and have a tattoo.I am married with a family.I also have a college degree and make over 6 figures a year.Ignorant trash? I think you might need to take a look in the mirror.

January 31, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jason

She'll kill it like she always does. She's not the greatest vocalist but she is the greatest female artist/entertainer of all time

January 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bappy

Wow, the comments I'm heriang sound an awful lot like adoption based on the modern interpretation of "right of eminent domain." Should the rich elite be allowed to go into a poor village, pick any child they want and have them because they can provide "a much better life with a whole hell of a lot better opportunity....?" Admittedly I don't know much about this particular case but if a poor parent in a third world fishing village loves their child, should money matter?

August 14, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mormon

I wonder if she eats b uggers? I heard that is a big thing with those outside of our religous brotherhood.

January 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • ThaGerm

Why don't you keep those comments to you and your cul, um, I meant "brotherhood".

January 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |