Cynthia Nixon: Bisexuality is not a choice
January 31st, 2012

Cynthia Nixon: Bisexuality is not a choice

If you have any lingering confusion regarding Cynthia Nixon's recent remarks on sexuality and choice, hopefully her latest statement will help clear it up.

The 45-year-old actress, who is set to marry partner Christine Marinoni, has clarified to the Advocate that while she chooses to be in a gay relationship, her bisexuality is not a choice.

It's something that could've been misconstrued, seeing that earlier this month Nixon was quoted as telling the New York Times that she's chosen to be gay. "I understand that for many people it's not, but for me it's a choice, and you don't get to define my gayness for me."

In a separate interview with the Daily Beast, during her press run for her role in the Broadway revival of "Wit," Nixon elaborated that she's bisexual, although she prefers not to use that word.

Now, Nixon explains to the Advocate, likely once and for all, that her remarks to the NYT "were about me and my personal story of being gay."

She continues, "I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive and disempowering. However, to the extent that anyone wishes to interpret my words in a strictly legal context I would like to clarify: While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship."

Nixon, who welcomed a son with her partner last February, also has two children from her prior relationship to Danny Mozes.

She told the Daily Beast of her relationship history, "I do feel that when I was in relationships with men, I was in love and lust with those men. And then I met Christine and I fell in love and lust with her. I am completely the same person and I was not walking around in any sort of fog. I just responded to the people in front of me the way I truly felt."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. BothSidesNow

When you lok like Cynthia, it's not a choice. You take what you can get. She is, and never was attractive, but I think they put her on SATC to make the other girls look hot. For example, Sarah Jessica Parker (aka "The Ultimate Butter-Face).

February 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Prochorus

This problem started when she was having children with Mozes without getting married first. She and Mozes owed it to the children to legitimize the "relationship" and stick with that commitment, no matter what their hormones or selfish vanities might have been telling them at various subsequent times.

February 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. manofgod

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_CyURfl2A&w=640&h=390]

February 21, 2012 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

Of course it is a choice. Depending on how you feel at the moment you can go either way you choose. :)

February 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jason McCann

Can we stop dissecting people's statements and inventing our our versions of what they were trying to say?

February 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dennis the menace

Yuk! Gag me! Get a room already!

February 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jimbo

Hell hath no fury like gays scorned. The pressure for her to recant must have been intense. The waits she must have endured when she and her man wife went to eat must have been unbearable.

Show us a gay gene and we'll show you some respect, till then have fun playing house.

February 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe

Make up your mind chick. Who cares what you think anyways. Now whip those babies out and make me a sammich!

February 1, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Troll

@lala- You see, this group of people attacks everyone whose comments they don't agree on. They wonder why they get troll.

February 1, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Carter

I know gays don't generally "choose" to be gay, they are just born that way. I mean, why would they choose a life filled with judgement, cruelty and hatred? Personally, I'm shaking my head at the whole thing. She CHOSE that lifestyle; it's the "in" thing to do now. I accept gays; they are cool and very open-minded people! But I don't think it's cool to Choose to be gay. But whatever, it's her personal life and my opinion doesn't matter, but just wanted to get my 2 cents in.

February 1, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sokman

There's no such thing as a two person conversation on a public blog. That being said, if I were a woman, I would definately choose to be gay.

January 31, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Real Lala

I have only made one comment on this topic at 2:45pm to Sadie, someone else is using my name to keep the fire going. I guess impersonation is the highest form of flatery. I guess thats why I am a real drag queen!! Love to all!!

January 31, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Hello Holywood

I'm just wondering.... why do lezbos turn away from attractive men only to come up with the dang ugliest male look-alikes??? Just wondering...

January 31, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. @Billy Rae

they are probably living under your trailer!

January 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Billy Rae

There is no such thing as trolls. That is a myth made up by the liberal establishment.

January 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Remy

Miss Nixon is greedy,I LIKE HER!

January 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lo Jenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTtVMFqQ3Z4&w=640&h=390]

January 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. @Lala

have you heard of trolls? they inhabit Marquee Land. they lurk every where. beware!

January 31, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Marky

I have to say, I think Cynthia Nixon expressed herself very well during the first interview. Just because someone has a screeching fit doesn't mean you have to cater to them! She simply expressed how she felt and what she believed about herself. If someone disagrees with her, that is their problem, not hers. She owes NO ONE an explanation, period. It's ridiculous that she has been badgered into answering charges that shouldn't be made!!

January 31, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  20. derp

Bise xual chicks are awesome. They are usually up for a good twoofer.

January 31, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lala

I am as strong in my convictions as I am in my Faith. This Sly person says one thing, then completely contradicts herself. Two-facedness is a sure sign of possession by the Devil. So is butting into two people's discussion. Please go away.

January 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. @Lala

if she confused you, then maybe you are the one that needs help. go back to your bible.

January 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lala

@Sly. You sound like a very confused person yourself. Get some help soon.

January 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. elisabeth

Im not a mormon but I agree with you. Maybe we could send em to Somalia. Lots of starving cannibals over there. They could boil them gays up and have a stew.

January 31, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Louisa

I envy her this.......she has found someone to love her. She has found a friend, a lover and a partner to go through life to share the good and the bad. How lucky is that? I wish her peace.

January 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Lee

This year. I seems to me a bunch those people in Hollywood change their partners every 3-5 years or so. I'd say this is just another chapter in this woman's life. Musy go along with the celebrity status....

February 9, 2012 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mormon

Froooots are a scourge on humanity. A plague. They need to be shipped overseas to San Francisco.

January 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobo

i heard san francisco has been denying passports now though. so no overseas travel to the SF for anyone... :(

February 1, 2012 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  27. Sly Sadie

@Lala- I have a new friend. Sorry he's annoying you. I really don't care whether people are g@y, straight, white, black, purple. I judge people by their character. To my new friend: lol!

January 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

tsk tsk. why are religious people so judgmental? maybe you should reread the bible and leave the judging to Him. shame on you. it is people like you that make religion look insane.

February 6, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  28. Richard Fore

Nice spelling of FRUIT, looser!

January 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • freddie

Loser has one O.

February 1, 2012 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

I think you mean loser, loser.

February 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

lakesriversoceans on August 15, 2011 Wow! this is very creative Wow! Wow! Wow! U got to see right now this NEW music video about Dropping POUNDS-Shedding Weight & it's a part of a 12 video SERIES celald: I like the way you move by JM (JM THE MASTER MINUTE)

March 17, 2012 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  29. Mormon

I hope they will put her in jail. When Mitt gets elected we wont have to mess with frooots like this anymore.

January 31, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sly Sadie

...and by the way, the Almighty will flick the disgusting trannies out of heaven with one, almighty finger!

January 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Sly Sadie

lol! At least, that one was funny! I say, whatever floats her boat. It makes no difference in the grand scheme of things anyway.

January 31, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • .•|•.

Hey Sadie! Lol At least your troll pist off Lala! Sorry Lala, it was kinda funny. :)

January 31, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • HerMtnMan

Are you sure? If I'm wrong I've lost nothing. If you are wrong you've lost everything. Still want to bet?

February 6, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sly Sadie

This woman is obviously mentally ill. God created her to be with a man. This back and forth nonsense betrays her mental illness. She should ask the Savior for guidance and repent for her former sinful indiscretions!

January 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lala

The day we chose to be gay/bi/trans ect.. was the same day you chose to be straight. When its time for all of us to leave this world, I can't wait to see all of the people(like you Sadie) when we are standing right next to you in the presence of the almighty! The basic teachings in the bible are love one another no matter what and help those in need, nothing else matters!!

January 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • geeky

Maybe you should repent for being unkind and judgmental. I doubt God needs you to make his opinions known, and I'm pretty sure if he did need help with that, it would be somewhere other than the comments section on CNN.com.

January 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freddie

Go away.

January 31, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maya

Only a mentally ill person would claim to know God's intent.

February 12, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
    • TisTrue

Honestly, if I hear one more bible thumper calling gay people mentally ill, I will scream. You cannot twist the words in your bible to fit all situations so you choose to assume gay people are mentally ill. If you could stand outside yourself for just two minutes, you'd see what a limited, uninformed outlook you have. BTW, God is love and the words you people are spewing are about as far away from love as you can get. Shame on you!

February 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. fernace

She actually sounds like she knows what she's doing & how she feels! Many people's s.e.x.uality fall somewhere between the 2 polar opposites of staunchly gay or staunchly straight! She's bi & has fallen in love with people of both genders! Now she's with a woman & wants to marry her! I wish them luck & happiness with their family!!

January 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jem R.

You know I think you've got it,thank you

January 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sav

Nonsense. This woman left her all-but-in-name husband of 15 years, the father of her children, to screw around with another woman! If she had done this to screw some other guy, she'd be a homewrecker. But since she's choosing to screw around with a woman, suddenly it's a 'beautiful transformation' and she's 'discovering her true self.' What a load of garbage!! This woman is a symbol of the decaying core of family values in America.

February 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • DMM

Sigh. This is America, divinely set up to be a Democracy. Democracies are messy: people with different religions means people with different moral systems. Live with it, or leave this country. She is free to be bi without you judging her like a holier-than-thou Pharisee.

February 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sly Sadie

@trix- I agree. Whatever she decides, good for her, I guess.

January 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. trix are for kids

She sounds very confused.

January 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea Kelly

I I have too admit I'm completely confused. Andrea

January 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sav

Isn't it about time that both the gay and straight communities stood up to say that this woman is RIDICULOUS. It's sickening to hear her hold up gay lifestyle choices as some kind of virtue and at the same time tell actual gay people (as opposed to this useless poser) that she's "choosing to be gay because it's better." Unbelievable!!

February 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • DMM

@Sav: she didn't say being gay was better. Read again.

February 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |