Honda's Ferris Bueller Super Bowl ad hits Web
January 30th, 2012

Honda's Ferris Bueller Super Bowl ad hits Web

The mystery behind Matthew Broderick's Ferris Bueller Super Bowl ad was short-lived, as Honda has released the extended commercial.

Although the teaser clip that circulated last week told viewers they'd have to wait until Sunday to see what Broderick was up to, we should know by now that the Internet waits for no official release date.

Broderick, 49, plays himself in the clip, but with plenty of "Bueller" references. (Such as the hotel's parking attendant saying in a Ben Stein-esque deadpan, "Broderick?...Broderick?")

After calling in sick, Broderick takes off in the 2012 Honda CR-V (instead of Cameron's dad's 1961 Ferrari) for a day on the town, hitting up the beach, a parade and the Natural History museum as Yello's "Oh Yeah" plays in the background.

Honda explains in the clip's description on YouTube that they "hid over two dozen references to the movie throughout the commercial. Some are obvious, some are VERY subtle. See how many you can find."

How many "Bueller" references did you spot? Was it as good as you hoped?

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Katie Couric

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to go back the prefer?.I'm trying to in finding issues to improve my website!I suppose its good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

April 3, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  2. Gaby

March 7, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. RixAnoto

must look at this chanel 2011 for promotion code

February 8, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. jhlguest

Cute to see Bueller again....Matthew's acting was not the greatest though–he is capable of much better. I had never heard of the accident he was in where he killed others. Tragic.

February 2, 2012 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  5. Debbie

Seriously folks. Just relax and have a good time. it's all in fun. If you don't like it don't watch it!

February 1, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Yugo

Mathew is always cool, funny, smart and unassuming. His role in Biloxi Blues was brilliant comedy – Ho Yo Ho Sir! – classic.

January 31, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Annie

Great Commercial, love it!

January 31, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carol

its hysterical .. total Mathew Brodrick..

January 31, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. junebuggnc

I love the ad, but to me there are a few things missing. Where are Cameron and Sloan? Ben Stein should have played the valet. Even if we can't have the actor who played the principal, what about the secretary? She was hilarious. I still loved it, but felt there were a few more things that could have been done to make it even better!

January 31, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sokman

I'm just happy they didn't base it on the Ferris Bueller series. Am I the only one that remembers that piece of carp? I think it single-handidly killed the chance for a sequel.

January 31, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. MSemi

A kinda cool response video to ferris and Honda – http://cmftv.com/yihUfh

January 30, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Flex

Loved it! Great references. Well done. Brought back great memories.

January 30, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ?

Lol, the?s aren't affiliated with ted or the other trolls. Just some of us who like the anonymity of posting that way. The trolls sometimes post as that as well but then again the trolls post as everyone at one point or another.

January 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Trimskillet

To all of you responding to "Ted",
    First off, "Ted" is what's known as a troll. A troll is someone who makes comments on sites like this one for the sole purpose of getting as many reactions to the ridiculous comments the troll posts. On this particular blog "Ted" has a little crew of trolls. They use various screen names and often share the "?" screen name. They also use certain words and certain spellings of words such as "lesbeans" which some times can clue you in that it is this particular troll crew commenting. I really don't mind them. Sometimes they actually make me laugh.

January 30, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Guest

Ferris!
    Ferris!
    Ferris!
    I LOVE the nostalgia!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Booo

Shut up about this accident in Ireland. People get killed in accidents all the time. It is tragic and yes I would be livid If it happened to my family. But it was decades ago. I wouldn't dare sit up and ruin someone's life by constantly reminding them that they killed my deceased loved ones. It doesn't bring them back. Lighten up. Life is for the living!

January 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Nora

It's very good, but I liked the Audi twilight mock ad better

January 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Scott The Mormon

I know your aunt and she was chasing around after horsefaced SJP. She wanted to take a ride on that nag.

January 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hobbits

That was a excellent commercial. Kudos to the marketing team that put it together for Matthew agreeing to reprise one of our favorite character roles. Looking forward to Sunday and watching it on the big screen.

SAVE FERRIS

January 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. trisha

I think Ted is meeeeeeean and needs to put his phone up before the teacher catches him playing on it.

January 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. ?

♪My Little Horseface♪♪My Little Horseface♪

January 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES!!!!

January 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Judge Dredd

Instead of a Honda he should jump on the back of his wife and ride off into the sunset.

January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. i like cheeseburgers

Wow!

January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. KnowsBetter

I remember when they had that wreck in Ireland and it was an ACCIDENT. They were in a rental car and forgot about the left side of the road rule in the UK. No one was drunk and he did apologize to the family and pay their bills. People forget that he shattered a leg in the wreck and still has problems with it to this day. Grey almost quit acting after the accident and her career never recovered from the hiatus she took. The family of the victims were more angry at the court system than at Broderick, along with being mad at the highway people because that stretch of road was dangerous even to those who drove it every day.

January 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Flamingo Kid

They "forgot" about driving on the correct side of the road and this makes it an "accident!"
      R U kidding me? If you are too frickin stupid to know how to drive on the correct side of the road then you have NO BUSINESS driving in another country. He was NOTHING but a negligent, reckless driver. I am certain that YOU do not speak for the family, or even know the TRUE facts.

January 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. KnowsBetter

For those of you knocking the "foreign cars", most of them are made in strange places like Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. The workers are U.S. and that is enough to not care what name is on the finished product. Now, on the other hand, Ford sends a lot of their manufacturing off-shore to Mexico and other places. I guess that would make Honda more American-made than Ford.

January 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Still waiting

I'm still waiting for the Angry Republicans(TM) to post bile about liberals, Obama, and to post sadness over the lack of extreme religion in politics.

I thought the commercial was funny, witty, and interesting.

Lighten up, peeps. Your underwear is showing.

January 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. sghetti

I think he is a t urd knocker. A lesbean one.

January 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Canopy

I like it. But I already drive a Honda!

January 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. The Flamingo Kid

The sad thing is that if Matthew Broderick had killed himself and Jennifer Gery in this head-on collision, it would have made NATIONAL NEWS and the sheep of the world would have wept and mourned in the streets. BUT, because it was two "nobodys" who died in the crash, it was hushed up and Broderick's life went on. Money talks.

January 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bob

F Honda and their crappy cars. Foreign cars have ruined this economy and the dummies who continue to buy them are anti-American fools.

January 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Pippi

It is pretty ironic that someone who KILLED TWO PEOPLE due to reckless driving is starring in an auto advertisement. How pathetic that all you sheep worship a killer who's celebrity status got his crimes covered over.

January 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Doug

Excellent job, they did it justice. Too bad it wasn't an American car that went into this, it may end up selling a few and it would be even better if those were Chryslers or GM's (even Ford's, I suppose). I could easily picture the Chevy Equinox giving that CRV a good sized wedgie for style, quality, and fuel efficiency.

January 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Joe

Look for a clarrient being played by someone behind his boss when they are stopped at the light.

January 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Puckles

sharky:

Actually, it is YOU who have issues. Whether you deliberately murder someone or you murder them due to your negligence, it is still murder. I wish it had been your loved ones he had killed. Then we would see how easily you would have gotten over it and have remained a fan.

January 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Billie Jean

Save Ferriis!Charlie had a great part in that movie.

January 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jean

why didn;t they put jennifer and charlie in the ad.....now that would be.........ohh yeah.........

January 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. phil

People!

Can you only remember how GREAT this movie was? Mathew was not only a great one, but can you even remember and appreciate how Alan performed? This new ad brings it all back... A lot of folks can't see genius when stares right into their eyes, I have never seen so much talent and flash back packed into a 60 second spot! This add not only deserves this years's Lion, but it freakin deserves the freakin T-Rex award of the century... Wake up you xenophobic pathetic pieces of worthless salami, this is greatness looking right at you. The world needs a break, let some artists bring it a little closer. It's too bad this add couldn't keep it under wrap until the BIG event...

January 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Duane

Oh my hell that was hilarious!!! I love the way this was put together, perfect

January 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mark

He seems so slow like he had a stroke or is heavily medicated? He used to be fast and sharp now he seems like he's been living under Prozac and Valium or something. I guess I would too if I had to wake up next to Secretariat every day. Can a her horse-face fit into that CR-V?

January 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Felicia

Awesome commercial! For those people who thought it was dumb or stupid; if you're not a product of the 80's and don't know who Ferris Bueller is, go watch today's "reality BS" and shut the hell up. Have a nice day :)

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

January 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MarkeMark

Oh yeah!

January 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  43. LAB

0h Ferris you're still a righteous dude.

January 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Nathan

What happened to Matthew Broderick? When I saw Ferris Beuller's Day Off back in the day, I thought Broderick was the coolest human being on the face of the Earth. Ever since, he just looks like a nerd. Every movie he's in he plays a geek, a weakling, a patsy. I thought he was just being type-cast, but now that I see this, I see that he does not have the ability be cool anymore. Ferris Beuller is officially dead.

January 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Erika

I thought it was a very charming commercial, and (surprise) Matthew Broderick is a middle-aged family man. It's not 1987, and last I heard, aging wasn't a crime. If only Alan Ruck had made a cameo!

January 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heather

I was hoping to see Alan Ruck, too!! Oh, well- it was still nicely done. :o)

January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  46. PeterD

Gays are going to end the Humanity.

January 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitch

Actually, you PeterD will be responsible for ending the "Humanity" as you phrase it. Read a book and educate your vacant mind!

January 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Vito

I get it !!!!! "I could be the Walrus, I'd still have to bum rides off of people." LOL, very well done.

January 30, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  48. ChadBLane

I was very disappointed to find out it wasn't a teaser for a Ferris Bueller sequel! I thought him as an older Ferris calling out to work would have been awesome!

January 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I was hoping it was a lead in to Ferris Bueller takes a day off of work too and boy it would have been awesome. Good times back then

January 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. saveferris

BEST SUPER BOWL AD OF THE YEAR!!!

January 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Pebbles Flintstone

No wonder this country is such sad shape. The number of nasty, cynical and just plain ignorant comments about a light, funny commercial is pathetic. There are a lot of miserable people in the world. Geez!

January 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Pebbles Flintstone

Awesome commercial! I think it's funny and original.

January 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Squinky

Actually, it is not "original." It is drawing heavily from scenes in a movie. I take it you haven't seen the movie.

January 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Snarky

Hoooray living in the past! If I was him I'd wanna relive the good ol' days pre-horse marriage.

January 30, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pee Wee Morris

Like he cares what people like you have to say...He is well respected in the industry, has a solid family life and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

January 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snarky

Hey cool.. guess what? I don't care what you have to say either.

January 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

Now go back to watching some useless reality crap like Jersey Shore because it sounds like you have the mentality of the bunch

January 30, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Cameron Fry

Was that Abe Froman I saw in the background?

January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. saveferrisfrombadcommercials

I think this was a great idea for a commercial, but the execution is terribly flawed. I feel bad that this is what has become of the mighty Ferris Bueller. An overweight, balding middle-aged man who drives around with a stuffed panda in a bland SUV. What happened to his hot girlfriend? his million friends? where's his Ferrari? Ugh, I wish I'd never seen this.

January 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

Was he suppose to discover the Fountain of Youth or something? Sheesh you don't get the ad.

January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • alexpdx

That's almost as silly as asking "where's the death star" in VW's darth vader ad.

January 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mo

Loved it. Thought it was brilliant advertising.

January 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  56. fucnn001

Why is the murderer still in the spotlight? The mother and daughter he killed while driving around drunk with Jennifer Grey in Ireland are a pile of bones thanks to him.

January 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

Man you have issues.

That happened in 1987 it is now 2012.

He met with the family in 2003 to make amends. Sheesh you don't even know what murder is.

January 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • alexpdx

He wasn't drunk. All else aside, if that were the case do you seriously believe Honda would use him in their superbowl ad?

January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

You're an idiot.

January 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • fucnn001

Why don't you people read a little before you make statements. First of all the family of the victims was distraught over the fact that he only got a small fine. He was facing a 5 year sentence but was obviously let go due to his Hollywood status. And most importantly, why are you so quick to defend him? Are you that brainwashed by Hollywood and the limelight? If it was your family members killed would you be so quick to forgive him?

January 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Flamingo Kid

You speak the truth. People do not like when their little tin God's are shattered. This is why so many negative comments. This man IS a murderer. I was a fan before reading about how Matthew Broderick killed two people by driving like an idiot. Its the way he dealt with it afterwards by not admitting full blame then wanting to forget about it cause HE had been through enough. He should be spending the rest of his life in prison for the lives he took.

January 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • fucnn001

FlamingoKid: At least there are some people out there like you with a brain capable of thinking, instead of these dimwit losers defending him because they mindlessly stare at their TV's night after night and silently worship these fake icons.

January 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOL IRELAND

You say that as if they would have contributed something to society. Everyone knows Irish people are the trailer trash of Western Europe...you'd have to go all the way to France to find a people more useless.

Probably did the world a favor.

January 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  57. neeeeigh

Hope he will get his lesbean wife some hay and oats. I bet she gets tired of just munching on carpet.

January 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  58. ted

Another closeted gay actor hasbean with a fake marriage to a lesbean. hougft we were rid of that gayfer.

January 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trevor

You are an angry person. Lighten up brother.

January 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • KTM

You're an idiot. You should try not to write things down. It leaves evidence of this.

January 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • LAguy

Ted (and your other posting name "neeeeeigh": You obviously are obsessed with gays and lesbians. Grow up buddy.

January 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve D.

@Ted If you spent a bit more time learning to spell simple words perhaps you wouldn't be so bitter. Hint: Try spell-check next time.

January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • eric of Reseda

Are you effen kidding me?!?

January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pebbles Flintstone

YOU are an idiot! Get out of your mom's basement and find a job.

January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hey, Teddy!

Hasbean?

Lesbean?

Oh, I get it! Stringbean!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

January 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

Ted, next time your brain produces a thought ... just let it go. Don't hold onto it, don't share it with the world. Just let it flitter back into the void from whence it came.

January 30, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharri

LEARN TO SPELL AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, LEARN TO FORM A COMPLETE AND PROPER SENTENCE.

January 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duane

You seem hateful towards those with success

January 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chloe Rose

ted – break is over, get back to your homework.

January 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Everyone who replies to this pre-teen dolt (including me) is just giving him the attention he wants. Just ignore this ass – he'll eventually go away.

January 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Thanks for coming out and posting your Facebook status.

January 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Quincey9

The word is 'Cloistered', you 'tard

January 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You know they say about people who say things against gay people, that secretly deep down they are one themselves. I just have to add I have nothing against gay people, I just wanted to write this before anyone gets PC on me.

January 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Geoz

So interesting. Broderick just told me how hot you are Ted.

January 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Oy Teddy....Why so angry brutha?!?!?!?! Buddha has life's answers for you. Find him and you will be released from your straightjacket of hatred.

January 30, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • johann1965

Troll.

January 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Without trying to justify the anti-gay hatred that the OP was espousing, I know second-hand that Broderick was certainly interested in women during the filming of FBDO (aunt worked on the film).

January 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • pam

you are a loser! This is a cool commercial. Love the ferris bueller references! way to go Honda!

January 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jake

U Mad bro?

January 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Carondelet

Ted, you really need to learn how to lighten up. Did you watch the commercial?

January 31, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • LARRY

HE'S CUTE AND YOU KNOW IT.

February 1, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |