Jon Cryer on 'Two and a Half Men' sans Sheen
January 29th, 2012

Jon Cryer on 'Two and a Half Men' sans Sheen

“Two and Half Men’s” Jon Cryer chatted about his newest costar on the red carpet at Sunday’s Screen Actors Guild Awards.

“[Ashton Kutcher] is great,” Cryer told E!’s Giuliana Rancic. “He’s a clown. Up for anything. Willing to do anything. Great, great spirit.”

Cryer - who was eager to share that he tied his own bowtie for the SAGs - said there are noticeable differences on set without his former costar Charlie Sheen around. But the main difference? “It’s a little less suspenseful,” he said.

“When you come into work, you’re pretty sure [Kutcher] is going to be there and that nobody has pushed his car off a cliff,” Cryer said.

The actor said he hasn’t spoken to Sheen, but he’s sure he’ll “put on a good show” - referring to Sheen’s new FX sitcom, “Anger Management.”

The series has been scheduled to air 10 episodes starting in June.

Filed under: Awards Season • SAG Awards

1. lindahutchings

I recently wrote a blog about Jon Cryer because I was so bummed that Alec Baldwin beat Jon out of a an oustanding actor award in a comedy. No one beats Jon Cryer. It doesnt make any difference whether Sheen or Kutcher plays off of Jon. I would watch this comedy if Jon only gave soliloquies. The show to me is all about Jon's interpretation of Alan Harper–period. The real star has continued on the show, so who really needs Sheen?

March 21, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

Does anyone not realize that the only reason "Butcher" got the gig, is that his wife, Demi Moore is a big player in Hollywood. Now that they're split, he's toast.

February 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tony

They should have done an entire season of the mother trying to sell the house. Different guest stars every week. They could have carried that along for a season then decided on someone to replace sheen. Kutcher is not the problem, its his character. Bad writing from some of the best writers on TV. Major disappointment.

February 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kerrack

"Two and a Half Men" has jumped the shark.

February 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lesley

They should call it "The Jon Cryer Show". He's great. Always carried the show but never got the credit.
    P.S. I think Ashton's doing a good job. Am enjoying the change.

February 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ross

I could not agree any more than with carrieanne's posting; she hit the nail on the head. The second Charlie exited the show, the producers should have scrapped it. The acting has been reduced to hollow interactions. Chemistry between the characters is virtually non-existent. The show could have ended on a high note, since Jake was getting older, and he was no longer witty and funny. Kutcher is repulsive to look at, and he has the charisma of a dingleberry. Seriously? The producers must have been hitting the crack pipe when they cast Kutcher as the lead. I am sure Cryer was pooping his pants when he discovered that Charlie was leaving...this will be Cryer's swan song. Chuck Lorre is brilliant, having produced Two-And-A-Half Men, and Big Bang Theory. Both shows were cash cows. However, he made a serious strategic error in reviving a show that lost its sole reason for existing....CS.

February 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lazunni

Suck up a little more Duckie!!If not for Charley you would have ended up like Molly Ringwald. Just a hint.....you're not really that funny!

February 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dave

I tried watching it after it became "Two Men and a Kelso" but found it tedious and unfunny. The only good jokes were about Charlie Harper.

February 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Word Man

My family and I actually watch the show now. I like that the dynamics have shifted. It's like a new show with familiar characters. I like Zoey a lot. I like that Walden isn't Charlie. I think Jake has had a few good supporting scenes this year. I also think Alan has grown up a little. That was long over due. So it's not the same show. People, I couldn't stand to see a forty something guy hitting on a different younger girl every week. I like the revised 2.5 men.

February 8, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Greg

It is now 2/2012. 2 1/2 men has been reduced to a mindless TV sit com. AK is boring and his acting ability is 101 at best. Cryer is still excellant, but not as a lead. The sarcasm and wit of Charlie Harper has not been replaced, and the writing in general is not sharp and crisp as it once was. The constant pandering to the audience of AK's abs is an insult and demeaning to the intellect of the viewers and apparently offered as a compromise for the shows other deficiencies.

February 7, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sunnygirl

I watch the reruns with Charlie and still laught just as hard as the first time.........face it, that was Charlie's life and he was the show.............the new version just doesn't have it !!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Vertigo

What's the difference between a Dyson and 3 and a 1/2 men with Kutcher?

One's a vacuum and the other just sucks.

February 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Grandpa RD

I miss Charlie. Can't wait for the new show!

February 4, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. gahh

I used to make it a point to watch 2 and a half men. Now I don't care, one way or the other. Kutcher can't replace Sheen. The reruns on FX are getting mighty thin.

February 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Trevor

Hilarious that Cryer is throwing Sheen under the bus. Without Sheen, Cryer would be working the Newark Dinner Theater Circuit – and playing Willie Loman while trying to get the customers to "try the veal".

Cryer, you don't have 1/10th the talent of Sheen. On Charlie's WORST day.

The show without Sheen is fine. Not terrible, but not great either.

February 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • R

I really don't see where he threw Charlie under the bus. He complimented his talent, saying the new show will be a success, and he told the truth about the 'suspense' (aka, drama) surrounding Charlie, who maybe would show up for work and maybe not. That's not throwing someone under the bus. Jon was complimentary to everyone.
      And, oh yeah – Jon Cryer has been a star for a long time – Charlie didn't make him a star.

February 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. BL

The show reeks without Charlie. Kutcher is a lug, Cryer, over the hill. Adult Jake is annoying. Plots are trite and unfunny. Jokes are beyond stale, and entire premise is inorganic. Bring back sheen.

February 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. yeah

is 2 and a half men still on? sorry jon, i only liked you in Pretty in Pink. Charlie made the show as well as his housekeeper and his cute stalker. The kid- well he was cute, but they kept making him more dumb and it's totally not cute anymore. please end the show for the saving of mankind.

February 2, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  18. matt

Now, u couldnt get him (Charlie) back if u wanted too,,, BECAUSE U KILLED HIM OFF!! IDIOTS. Kutcher SUCKS!

February 1, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Bobby Ewing

Who says you can't get a character back after he was killed off? Ever see "Dallas"? Or "Lost"?

February 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Snarky

Show was barely funny even with Sheen and Kutcher's a reason NOT to watch.

January 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sokman

I hope Anger Management goes head to head against Two and a Half Men. Sheen will blow Kutcher away in the ratings

January 30, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Elsa

well the ratings will not be the same : it will be on a cable channel not a big network like CBS, moreover they will not have as much money to say the least but anyway be sure i will watch Anger Management not unfunny, nasty Two and a Half Men new version.

January 30, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Candie-O

Totally Agree! Looking forward to Sheen's new show. Can't stomach Ashton Kutcher! Wanna see Sheen make it back up to the top and blow 2 1/2 Men away!!!

February 8, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  21. clive_chi

lets b honest..the show without charlie sheen is useless..its no longer funny and you can now afford to miss any episode..season 9 is not funny at all and hopefully this is the last one

January 30, 2012 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • 01grandmom10

I think they can bring Charlie back,. #1- their was no showing of the body at the funeral...#2- they can bring him back saying that Rose had him locked up somewhere in Europe, everyone would believe that...remember when he was sick and Rose was "taking care" of Charlie. I like Aston, dont get me wrong, but he is no Charlie Sheen, only Charlie could play this part and make everyone laugh at him and the rest of the gang. Rose hiding Charlie away somewhere and claiming he has died would be very believable to any fan who followed the show and had enjoyed Rose"s love and stalking of Charlie!! Think about it!

February 25, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mr. Ed

Yes when will those fxxkers learn. sober is the way. pimp a b!tch, slap a wh&re, r8pe ur friend's mo ther

January 29, 2012 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  23. carrieanne

What posessed the powers that be to hire Kutcher for Two and a Half Men?! They should have bowed out gracefully and cancelled the show because without Charlie Sheen, as much of a buffoon as he is, it just doesn't work. And the sad part is, if he sobers up he won't be near as funny.

January 29, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Barbara Freejean

When Charlie Sheen was on the show, it was a must see. Now if I see it fine and if I don't fine. Just not as funny.

January 29, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Lola Montes

the real difference : Sheen is funny, entertaining and talented whereas Kutcher is not funny, boring and useless..
    can't wait for Anger Management !

January 29, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mad Rap3r

Slap slap slap mob wives. deeennnnaaa and bbbiiiiigggg Aaaaa ... ooooo i just came

January 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbWK3KgvFk&w=640&h=390]

January 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Me!

Firsty! (lmao) anyway, I miss Charlie...He's hopefully getting some help...sigh, but I miss him.

January 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • But the articles is really about John Cryer

Charlie, Sheen, Sheen, Charlie
      Charlie CHARLIE charlie
      Shhhheenn Sheen Sheeennnnn
      Charlie
      Charlie SHEEN!
      Jon who?

They're the Chinese Caterer. Ahhhh. Charlie.

February 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacquie

Mr. Cryer is a very talented actor whom I have enjoyed for years. He plays his part perfectly on 2 1/2 Men. But, to compare Ashton Kutcher to Charlie Sheen is an abomination. I tried to watch the new show with Kutcher and found I had no interest in continuing to watch. Charlie Sheen can be a pain in the neck, I am sure but, he gave millions of us so much fun for years. I only hop his new show runs on for years and years again. Bill Clinton, Newt Gingrich, Anthony Weiner, Charlie Sheen have all behaved like naughty boys but that never interfered with their intellectual abilities. It was just plain stupid to get rid of Charlie. Oh, and did I mention, I'm 68!

February 7, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |