January 27th, 2012

Obama boosts Al Green's 'Let's Stay Together' sales

President Barack Obama probably hopes his plans to reform financial aid programs are executed as well as his unintentional initiative to boost the music industry.

After Obama sang the first line of Al Green's “Let's Stay Together” at a January 19 fund-raising event at New York's Apollo Theater, the song got a 490% sales boost, according to Nielsen SoundScan via Billboard.

The video of Obama singing went viral, prompting 16,000 downloads to be sold that week, Billboard reported.

“Don’t worry, Rev. I cannot sing like you, but I just wanted to show my appreciation,” Obama said to Green (who was also in attendance) after his short serenade.

Filed under: Music

1. Brookj Frimannv

I'm still learning from you, but I'm improving myself. I absolutely liked reading all that is posted on your site.Keep the posts coming. I enjoyed it!

June 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Me against the world lyrics

Once christ had been speaking with god anf the husband stated this "we've introduced anyone fame that is known by completing the project you might have offered me personally to complete." were called to create beauty to be able to ...mercury dimes

February 7, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. Obama cabinet

rIght from the start of our own country's political procedure, the particular role of media throughout national politics has supported while twice obligation : to offer information that will americans need to both ...vintage fishing lures

February 6, 2012 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. humannature7

Very impressive, Mr. President! :)

February 5, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike Smith

Obama better watch out, he may get sued by the RIAA....

February 1, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. Pugbag

I wonder what ever happened to the Iraqi man who was detained and prosecuted for throwing the shoes at GW? I heard the Texas Rangers are still looking for a short reliever! That guy has an awsome sinker! I'm sure W. would agree! Hahahahha!

January 31, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Hypocrisy

@ Democratic voter

Think you would have had a job by now if McCain was in the White House?

January 31, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. ObamasMama

I can just imagine Obama & his wifey dancing around the oval office, jamming some Al Green!! Just being normal, everyday Americans that don't mind a little good music once in a while!!!

January 31, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Democratic voter

Mr. President , how about boosting the economy, that will be nice. In my family there are many of us with out jobs.

January 31, 2012 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Michael Medvesky

ironically enough, osama bin laden was singing "here i am (come and take me)" the night before he got assassinated. gaddafi was singing "full of fire," and kim jong il was singing "how can you mend a broken heart."

January 31, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. Susan - Canada

I would love it if Al Green allowed him to use this song on his campaign trail.....whereas Gingrich and Romney were "ordered" to stop using the music they had....love it!

January 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jody

President Obama can sing to me anytime!! Obama/Biden 2012!!!!

January 30, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 20thremnant

Everyone should own some Al Green music. It's medicine for the soul. It can only make you feel good.

January 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DSBsky

Because God knows, if you can't handle being a president, you can always sing.......
    Less singing, more fixing the country.. Ron Paul 2012... Enough of the horse and pony side show..
    We need a real president.

January 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MusicAppreciator

Thanks to the POTUS, I've had the song running around in my mind for over a week now. I've been singing the song every day. I'll have to get an Al Green music fix soon so I can get back to normal.
    Shakespeare's Lorenzo (in The Merchant of Venice) stated:
    "The man that hath no music in himself,
    Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
    Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
    I wonder how this applies to the POTUS and his adversaries.

January 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ART

Go ahead vote for Romney and throw away your vote, Obama 2012

January 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jeff

Romney's song is "Goldfinger".

If Barack can sell music like this... Great stuff. Way to go Barack. I love Al Green.

January 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JC

Meanwhile, George W. Bush drank a fifth of Wild Turkey and cried himself to sleep that night. John McCain had a bowl of soup, and Sarah Palin shot a walrus.

January 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kay

Oh brother! Obama could pick his nose and the crowd would go wild! Let's Stay Together is on my list of songs that get cranked up whenever it comes on the radio and has been since the 70's. Obama had NOTHING to with it.

January 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. COUNTRY AND WESTERN

I'm going to write to the DNC and I'm going to ask them to consider using Alan Jackson's "That'd be Alright" song as the theme song for the Democratic Nationsl Convention this year. If the GOP and the Tea Party are farmilar with this song, I bet they won't want the DNC to play it because the words of this song represent everything the Dems stand for and everything the Repugs are against. If you get the chance, just down load and listen to the song and decide for yourself.

January 30, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • 3 dog night

"and if I was the king of the world, I'd tell you what I'd do, I'd take away the cars and the bars in the world and make sweet love to you"

yeah baby

January 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. COUNTRY AND WESTERN

Actually country and western is cool too I'm a big fan because country and western is about love, life, family, religion, God, your farm, your school, your dog, your truck, your cowboy boots and hat, about your twang and where you grew up and just about every and anything you encounter in life. And it is about staying together too!

January 30, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  22. YES WE CAN

Impressed by President Obama's singing? Well, I'm not surprise because from day one he has shown that he is a multi-talented individual whether as a Senator, President or everyday American. Remember the jumpshot? Yea, he got game! He also has an awesome fadeaway, can nail the three pointer and he has rotation on his free throws that Dick Vitale would approve of. Did I mention a great father and husband? Integrity and intelligence? Wow, what a man what a man, what a man!

January 30, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • MusicAppreciator

And he can be stone cold, too. He's earned some teardrop tats for his decisions on Somali pirates and kidnappers, and don't forget the al-Qaeda killers.

January 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. valerie

seriously?

January 30, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  24. babs

GOTea party can have all the redneck, NASCAR country & western caterwaulin' thay want. The Prez is COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

January 30, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. jb2817

I'll be singing some Etta James this time next year.... At Laaaaasssstt This POS is outa office, crappy days are over.

January 29, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Top Shelf

Oh No You Didn't!! Did you guys just see Etta flip over in her grave...no you did not!!! Sorry Etta, some people really are foolish, I apologize for them. (smh again)

February 3, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Cara Doubois

That would be nice I'm a full time student and live in my car I get so depressed having to go to the restroom in a soda bottle :( help us Obama

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXjBYp94fSU&w=640&h=390]

January 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. The Morgan La Fey

Reblogged this on themorganlafey and commented:
    That's the Rev. Al Green, Ladies and Gentlemen

January 28, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. marcelius

America is soooo use to the white way of running the Oval Office that its become clear whateva Abama does is rumored at being Un~President.. Also remember he inherited this windfall of economic disasters also what bill he needs passed is voted against by the republican party,thats outnumber the senate seats..

January 28, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. yolie carrillo

Great job Mr. Obama !! It has been said "Music is the language everyone understands !! "

January 28, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • PamelaP25

Having a job to pay my bills will be productive and everybody will feel even better

January 31, 2012 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  30. ora grant

we love and miss you al green! i bet you rock your church sure would like to visit.

January 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ora grant

we love our president and michelle obama. al grean is one of the best singers, i remember thoes days. they are call the golden oldies.

January 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. ora grant

thanks obama from putiing al green back in place you sound so good mr president . we need you fore another four years.

January 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. kim

The president did a good job at singing he has a nice voice

January 28, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  34. I LOVE Mitt Romney

If your a man voting for Obama stop wiping forward!!

January 28, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dana

That's funny. I hope people can be influenced by our President sincerely wanting to make the country better for everyone. We have to find more in common than our differences since there is no way we will all agree.
    Our country is a house divided, so instead of complaining about what others are doing to us, they don't have to, were foolish enough to do it to ourselves while other nations are laughing at us. Any time a candidate can say he didn't get paid "that much" for speeches and not that much to him is $320,000, then he's really out of touch. Is take his "not that much" gladly since it would take me 8 years to make that much money! If they don't think that's a lot of money, goes to show how out of touch and wanting it to stay that way the Republicans are.

January 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  36. I LOVE Mitt Romney

How about a Kermit the Frog/Miss Piggy Ticket????

January 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. James

Then I'm voting for a Romney/Kermit ticket!! It kind of rhymes also lmao

January 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Whatever

Then again this is america kermit the frog could run against president obama and would actually get some votes kermit would`nt win but he would get some votes

January 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Whatever

Go Romney?please!!are you serious?mittens don`t care about anybody even you idiots that vote for him

January 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. AMERICA 1st

Was nobama whitewashed while it was on stage and did it get a shoepolished biden with it to sing MAMMY also?

January 28, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. James

Why can't he drive up the entire economy this way??? Go ROMNEY!!

January 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  42. James

He can be the next American Idol but, president nahhhh

January 28, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. James

I can sing better I should be POTUS now so ha!! That's the next commercial for the candidates!!

January 28, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Wole

Singing commander-in-chief? It has to be America! More dem, less GOP!

January 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  45. dasing59

Sokman, you make no sense at all but you do represent your party, hey here is an idea why don't you run for president as the republican nominee, what can one more nut in the basket hurt?

January 28, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  46. arrogant Jimmy Carter w/a tan

I wish he would go into Show business full time starting next year

January 28, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  47. Debra Singleton

President showed his lighter side which is more relatable to the average person, good job sir. I've watched the republican debates(in small doese) and all of them could use a laxative to loosen them up, they look constipated except for Newt he looks exactly like what he is: coniving, slimy, dishonest and untrust-worthy. VOTE OBAMA, KEEP OUT THE DRAMA!!!

January 28, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  48. Berber

I used to like this song but now I hate it

January 28, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  49. michelle

Obama goes Greene!

January 28, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  50. Name*Tee

Great Job President Obama.....U Got My Vote on your Singing Career....

January 28, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  51. weesa66

President Obama can sing, President Clinton could play the sax. These guys did have lives and interests before politics. Nice to see them let their hair down once in a while.

January 28, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  52. B4Real2Me

I'm not surprised, everything that the President touches turns to GOLD... he's BETTER than Oprah!!!

January 28, 2012 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jade1989

He's smart, powerful, and can sang too! First Lady got her hands full. They got it goin on!

January 28, 2012 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  54. skegeeace

He is SO fine. I'll bet he sings the panties off of Michelle all the time! Lucky woman...

January 28, 2012 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  55. Herman in anaheim

WE WILL ALL COME TOGETHER WHEN WE HAVE OURJOBS BACK BECAUS THE REPUBLICAN RICH FACTORY OWNERS THAT DONT WANT TO BR TAXED MADE MLONEY BY INVESTING IN CHINESE MAUFACTORURING COMPANIES ECAUSE CHINA PROMISED LOW LOE WAGES. SINCCE CHINESE COMMUNIST GOVERNMENT OWNS CONTROLING SHARE OF THESE NEW FACTORYS THEY DICTATE THE LOW WAGES. NOW OUR UR POLITICIANS ARE TO WEAK TO PUT IMPORT ON IMPORTED GOODS AND SET EQUAL IMPORT AND EXPORTS TO BUILD NEW COMPETATIVE FACTORIES SO UR UNEMPLOYED CAN GO BACK TO WORK AND LET OUR UNEMPLOYED GET TOGETHER AT WORK INSTEAD OF IN UNEMPLOYMENT LINES.

January 28, 2012 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  56. Herman in anaheim

I know you can contact me at cal.energy@yahoo.com and get kore milage and run with more pep and cleaner fuel system. Go farther per galln. OBAMA COULD Sing this theme in his campain. AL GREEN to make things greener our fuel clogs up the fuel system and smoke clouds up the mind. Keep a clean system to get the most milage. GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES. YOU WIN WITH ME.

January 28, 2012 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
  57. Progressive Lady

President Obama is the cooless, smartess,finest president alive! Also I feel safer because President Obama got rid of 3 public enemies:Bin Laden,Mubarack Gadafi & he sings beautifully too,WOW!

January 28, 2012 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Say it ain't so

ummm he didn't have anything to do w/ Mubarak or ghadafi. If you're gonna back him up at least be as accurate as you can be.

January 28, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • in comes Belushi

"did we give up when the germans bombed perl harbor"

germans?

forget it he's on a roll

January 30, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Anitadallas

It was just a beautiful moment

January 28, 2012 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  59. Tracy

I love my president and first lady.

January 28, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • greenacres

GO PRES. OBAMA AND First Lady Michelle! FOUR more YEARS! Shake all the rednecks and haters! That's why you will secure the WIN! YESSSSSSSSS! OBAMA 2012!!! GO! GO! GO!

January 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  60. rOckNrOllsCar11

no one has mentioned the bill he signed before the new yr allowing americans to be arrested and detained w/out due process.

January 28, 2012 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  61. sharan

My husband and I had our first dance at our Wedding to this song two years ago...how funny a love song...can now be the mantra to re~elect President Obama...oh I ilove me=some Al Green.

January 28, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  62. deena

Well, i should have went to the community college !!!

January 28, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  63. deena

President

January 28, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  64. deena

WOW for our Presindent and WOW for Mr.Al Green.

January 28, 2012 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  65. Donkey Party

Sokman –

What "trillions" did President Obama give away? Do you have any clue as to how insanely ignorant that comment is?

January 27, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • JC

"Do you have any clue" Good luck finding a conservative who has a clue these days.

January 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. bob

Yawn. :0

January 27, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Raenette

The President did his thing I wish he would have had more time he might have sang the whole song. someone posted something about him not keeping his promises hell GOP dont want him to serve a second term im sure they want another Bush! if that happens I will be moving. I think he is doing a pretty good job I have watched the GOP debates and if those men are all they have then God be with them LOL.

January 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Sokman

Too bad he couldn't keep his promise to boost the economy... or was this it? Yeah, that was worth the trillions he gave away we'll never get back.

January 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Burghgirl

He is helping the economy.....I particularly would have appreciated the help for small business that was blocked. By who? In my opinion he has made mistakes but he has also done a lot of good.

January 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • rollo

do you receive daily briefs from fox "news"?

January 30, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  69. boodazzle

There was a moment once when racism did not exist. Just a moment and it was all good!!

January 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Top Shelf

Sure – right before that first slave ship landed and the first land was taken from the natives. Real talk.

February 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  70. kewl dewd

...the Prez just revealed to everyone that he's an everyday kat who just happens to be super intelligent that can handle the office of the presidency – clinton played the sax & rocked it. These guys have to engage in other activities to escape the pressure they face every single second on their jobs....

January 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  71. ej

President or not, sometimes you've just gotta let your hair down and have fun! LoL!

January 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Unique

DATS RIGHT OLD SCHOOL! I AGREE WIT U ON DAT PRESIDENT OBAMA,LET EM KNOW THATS WHERE ITS AT , ITS GOOD FOR THE SOUL

January 27, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  73. mr.gad

I thougt mr.obama and david cameron will go in for gay practices and live their wives but i donot know that they are fooling u people practicing gay. We all will meet on the judgement day.fire bone them.

January 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. rhumba

Sounds like Pres. Obama is a job creator.

January 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Superhiro

Can I just say how pleasantly surprised I am that there are no racist/political comments today? Kudos to you guys CNN bloggers

January 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dannyboy

I agree. Kinda shocked but I'm not all the way done yet

January 28, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Only because the republicans still passed their own version of sopa/pipa so CNN was blocked for them. Fox is fine because it pointed out the truth that Obama singing this song was an inherent lie. He doesnt want to stay together, but leave America and his family to be with his gay Hispanic muslim gender confused child lover. you should really pay attention more to fox, everyone could learn a lot.

January 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bright

That's because I'm deleting them. Stay classy, rednecks.

January 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  76. LW

ty

January 27, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Kush

So , president can sing really well? I guess he is good in so many things. We would have gone into depression was not 4 him! Not fun of him but I see him re-elected easily!

January 27, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  78. TJ

Pres Obama sounds so good!!! They've should've cut to Al Green to see his expression. I'm sure he was so touch by that.

January 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Sarah

Al Green has alwayd ruled! Didn't need the Pres for that info

January 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Rosa

I recommend that the DNC use this song, "Let's Stay Together" as the Campaign Theme Song. We really do need to stay together. If you are familiar with the lyrics, they certainly apply to what we as a group need to do! Please consider my suggestion .

January 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  81. tamara reina

Well let's hope we can stay together for four more years no more

January 27, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Lisa

I love every song that Al Green has out. And President Obama did a really great job at it. It wouldn't hurt if he had a career in the music indudstry someday.

January 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  83. happy

It is a nice song and he did a good job. I think it was nice he did that.

January 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tony

That's a great song and he did a pretty good job. I heard Seal's rendition today and it was also good. That is an old song from a time when people still sang about love and not slapping somebody up.

January 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  85. mrskool

I was impressed too !

Whodda thunk our President had such a great singing voice ?

If he doesnt get re elected he can always get into the music biz :)

January 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • jb2817

Who would have thought that the Teleprompter in Chief could carry a tune?!

January 29, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Every U.S. president has used a TelePrompTer for the past 50 years. Go further back before TV and they had notes on paper. Got anything better??

January 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • macbil

What is this constant obession with Obama and Tele-prompters?!? It's one of these made-up things to criticize Obama about along with birth certificate, etc. EVERY PRESIDENT HAS USED TELEPROMPERS FOR 40-50 YEARS!!! Watch extended interviews with Obama, he's not using a teleprompter and always sounds like he knows the issues well and (even though you may disagree with him) has a detailed opinion or plan.

January 30, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Bill in Florida

Hey Dave, No, jb2817 has nothing better to say except the same old, worn-out, pointless jabs taht he and other racists have been using since 2007.

January 30, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Adara

Good God..I have been singing this song for weeks and thinking of someone. Weird..this song has been popping up in my head and all over the place.

January 27, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |